cincydave8

Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium

Has there been any discussion in town about the project losing its state funding (along with the Crew Stadium and numerous other capital projects around the state) and what this might mean?  Apparently the Ohio House wants to de-fund all projects that have not started or are not completed while the Senate is opposed (rightly so since this should be the time to pump prime the economy and the savings are minimal because we are generally talking about 20 year bonds supporting the funding).

I

2 hours ago, Htsguy said:

Has there been any discussion in town about the project losing its state funding (along with the Crew Stadium and numerous other capital projects around the state) and what this might mean?  Apparently the Ohio House wants to de-fund all projects that have not started or are not completed while the Senate is opposed (rightly so since this should be the time to pump prime the economy and the savings are minimal because we are generally talking about 20 year bonds supporting the funding).

I did read an article (can’t find it now, go figure) about FC Cincinnati could loose $4 million while the crew stadium could loose $20 million. 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Say your good-byes:

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

Does anyone know when they plan to begin demolishing this church? If they haven't already?

It's not very big compared to an MLB or NFL stadium.  The paradox of a big stadium with an upper deck is that the cheap seats are the most expensive to build. 

I love that you can't see the stadium at all in OTR until you get close to Central.  As mentioned it's not super tall so it's hidden well behind buildings.  Plus the streets aren't totally straight so you have to get to 15th and Elm before there is any visual of the stadium.  Whenever the team builds their future development lots it will do a good job of hiding most of the stadium even from Central and Liberty.   I also really like that you can see the it from 75.  Really excited for this to open.  

Edited by Cincy513

17 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Well you can definitely see it from Elm St. from Wade down each of the side streets.  

Yeah, like I said, you can start to see it from Elm and 15th.  Anything east of there you can't see it.  Anything south of there you can't see it because the stadium doesn't go that far down.  Maybe Magnolia but I'm not sure I've ever walked on that street.  

The new stadium is much more prominent than I expected when viewed from Fairview Park or Bellevue Hill Park. Although it is not as large as PBS or GABP, it appears to be very large because it's physically closer from those perspectives, and because it's surrounded by dense neighborhoods of smaller building on all sides, whereas the downtown stadiums are surrounded by much larger and taller buildings and infrastructure.

drove by the stadium today. its looking great and should bring a lot of development to the area over the next 10 years.

Reminds me of Europe and how you have these modern soccer stadiums nestled in between old architecture. It will definitely be one of the more unique settings for the MLS. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, troeros said:

Reminds me of Europe and how you have these modern soccer stadiums nestled in between old architecture. It will definitely be one of the more unique settings for the MLS. 

Yeah. That stone wall in the second pic looks kind wild...almost like it is part of the construction.

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Hash said:

Yeah. That stone wall in the second pic looks kind wild...almost like it is part of the construction.

The stone wall is part of the parking that needs to stay for the ballet.  Whenever the ballet moves (I think sometime in 2021) I assume that parking lot will be taken out, along with the ballet building next to it. 

1 hour ago, Cincy513 said:

The stone wall is part of the parking that needs to stay for the ballet.  Whenever the ballet moves (I think sometime in 2021) I assume that parking lot will be taken out, along with the ballet building next to it. 

True, but I believe the stone foundation is originally from a brewery that was located on that site, and there may still be a lower level or lagering cellars underneath. So there is an opportunity to save that and do something cool with it once the ballet leaves.

7 minutes ago, taestell said:

True, but I believe the stone foundation is originally from a brewery that was located on that site, and there may still be a lower level or lagering cellars underneath. So there is an opportunity to save that and do something cool with it once the ballet leaves.

Correct, two levels of cellars underneath. If FC doesn't put a beer hall in these they are wasting the opportunity to have a truly one-of-a-kind attraction that would draw people 365 days a year.

• Like 1

They already destroyed a historic church that wasn't in the way of anything for reasons, I have no faith they will properly utilize these cellars. 

• Like 1

If there are cellars underneath that will probably limit the size of what you could put on top of them.  Do people really want to go hang out in a tunnel underground with no natural light?  Not sure how popular ghost baby was before covid broke out.  But they also did a terrible job of marketing.  

Augustiner in Munich has a pretty good setup underground in a lager cellar. I didn't get a ton of photos showing the depth of the space, but they did a really good job making it inviting and fun

46184008095_83aa2c7b85_b.jpg

DSC_0391 by Ryan Lammi, on Flickr

46374067334_5e73103ee4_b.jpg

DSC_0376 by Ryan Lammi, on Flickr

46184010815_a0483c88a4_b.jpg

DSC_0379 by Ryan Lammi, on Flickr

46184010085_225e588ed7_b.jpg

DSC_0381 by Ryan Lammi, on Flickr

Also, since there isn't anything on top of the cellars right now, you could theoretically do something really cool. Like make a surface level biergarten, add large skylights that bring light into the first level of cellars, and really activate the space in a fun way. Do I expect all of this to happen? No, not really. But there is definitely a cool opportunity there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ryanlammi said:

@mcmicken do you have photos of these cellars? I haven't seen anything before and I'm curious what it looks like down there currently.

Here you go.

Hard to get a sense of scale with the photos as we only had the flash on the camera. There are 8 bays of the cellar in total, with a basement and sub-basement levels. It was later construction so the floor/ceiling above is not arched, but makes it feel even bigger.

CELLAR_LOWER_LEVEL1.jpg

CELLAR_LOWER_LEVEL2.jpg

CELLAR_LOWER_LEVEL3.jpg

CELLAR_LOWER_LEVEL4.jpg

CELLAR_LOWER_LEVEL5.jpg

CELLAR_UPPER_LEVEL1.jpg

1950.jpg

1960S.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

On 6/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, troeros said:

Old Architecture? There wont be any old architecture left near this stadium for blocks. Funny how they had plenty of funds to buy it all up after we gave them taxpayer money. They said they didn't have enough money to do it on their own....but somehow had piles of cash to buy and tear down everything nearby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCOV said:

Old Architecture? There wont be any old architecture left near this stadium for blocks. Funny how they had plenty of funds to buy it all up after we gave them taxpayer money. They said they didn't have enough money to do it on their own....but somehow had piles of cash to buy and tear down everything nearby.

They paid $25 million for the Tri-State warehouse (the one that abuts the Cincinnati Ballet).  That transaction also included the many vacant lots immediately south that stretched to the pair of buildings that abutted the theater.  Above that, I believe that they have spent under $10 million - possibly much less - for everything else.  

The Jehovah's Witness and Revelation Baptist Church purchase prices are not public on the auditor's site.  The Wade St. condos were about $2 million and everything else was about $2 million combined, with the largest purchase being the Feast of Love properties for $700,000.  

A few people are still holding out between Bauer and Liberty, and Lloyd Tate is still holding on to his tiny wedge-shaped lot at the SW corner of Bauer & Central Ave.  

2 hours ago, TheCOV said:

Music hall is literally a block down the road. Calm down lol

15 hours ago, troeros said:

Music hall is literally a block down the road. Calm down lol

And across a very wide thoroughfare. The closest "old buildings" are actually new townhomes.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, jmecklenborg said:

"'It’s one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done in my work,' Mr. Cranley said."

For the mayor of a major US city to make such a statement should be astounding, no matter what you think of the stadium development.

Edited by jim uber
  • Like 1

^Re: the name:

"Ultimately, Quibi won the day. “They never asked staff to weigh in on it,” this person says. “People on staff thought it was cringey and would ask, ‘Is it too late to change it?’ Meg loved it.” Though arguably no sillier-sounding than Hulu, Quibi would be roundly mocked by people who thought it sounded like a “quinoa-based doggy snack” or “the cry of an attacking Ewok.”

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Meg loved it

Elsewhere they make fun of the dude for printing out his emails.  That's not stupid at all.  Once people know The Owner does that, they'll hesitate to write him emails and instead will have to call him or walk down to his office in person.