cincydave8

Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium

4 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

How is this unique? New York teams reach into Connecticut, New Jersey, and PA--much more populous states. Philly teams reach into NJ, DE, and MD. Chicago teams reach into Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Boston has all of New England. Every team draws from a wider area than just its metro area. 

Sure but your listing major metro areas. There is a reason why Michigan doesn't support the Indians/Cavs. They have the Pistons/Tigers in Detroit. 

For a mid sizes city we are nested between various states that either don't have any major league sport teams, or don't have any nearby any sport teams (middle town/Dayton for instance).

Hence the reason why our sport teams have been able to garner the attention of many other states besides just greater Ohio.

16 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Cincy is no different then every other city.  They support the teams better when they win and support them less when they don't win.  Considering the city hasn't seen much winning in the last 30 years it's not surprising attendance is low right now.  

Green Bay seems to have gotten around that problem.

11 minutes ago, jjakucyk said:

Green Bay seems to have gotten around that problem.

Green Bay is a contender almost every year. They missed the Playoffs 4 times between 1993-2016. Their last two years haven't been great, but they'be built an incredible brand and there is such a long wait for season tickets you would have to have decades of incompetence to even consider they might have bad attendance.

The Reds have made it to the postseason 4 times since 1993. Winning one series in 1995.

The Bengals have made 7 appearances since 1993 and haven't advanced in the playoffs since 1990.

Their success is more about their community ownership, but they're a crazy small market with a TV-shed less than the population of Hamilton County. 

Their real market is the entire state of Wisconsin.  I'd bet there are more Packers season ticket holders in Milwaukee then in Green Bay.  It's less then a two hour drive between the cities.  People from all over Ohio make similar treks for OSU games each fall.  

1 minute ago, GCrites80s said:

Is that a Reds pocket on the South Carolina coast?

Hilton Head area?  I remember you could get 700 down there when I was a kid.  Not sure if you still can today.  

26 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Is that a Reds pocket on the South Carolina coast?

That's just Cincinnatians on vacation.

At the link, you can zoom down to zip code level to get the full data - every random splotch of red I saw on the map was the Red Sox.

Interestingly enough, not only do the Mets and A's not carry a single county, they don't even carry a single zipcode - including the ones their home stadiums are in.

6 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

At the link, you can zoom down to zip code level to get the full data - every random splotch of red I saw on the map was the Red Sox.

Interestingly enough, not only do the Mets and A's not carry a single county, they don't even carry a single zipcode - including the ones their home stadiums are in.

The A's should move to Portland...

21 minutes ago, aderwent said:

The A's should move to Portland...

Seems like Salt Lake, Charlotte and Portland would be the three logical choices for teams (assuming we're staying in the US) 

What's with the Stillers fans in NW Ohio? I knew there was a reason I hated Toledo...

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

1 minute ago, BigDipper 80 said:

What's with the Stillers fans in NW Ohio? I knew there was a reason I hated Toledo...

Probably the majority are split between Browns and Lions so the Steelers minority seems the largest. It can be hard to separate signal from noise on these maps

www.cincinnatiideas.com

I think every Ohio city has a lot of Steelers fans.  There are just as many Steelers fans in the Dayton area as Browns and Bengals.

But how about NCAA?

ncaa-fb-main-map.png

...or NBA...

basketball-zips2-e1399984812938.png

...and NHL...

5ad4483dec88186c47356cc8f3821130.gif

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Oh yeah, and for "on topic..."

Screen-Shot-2015-03-06-at-10.42.13-AM.pn

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

That NCAA map didn't include UC in the survey. (Assuming it's the one I've seen before from NYT.)

Edited by Robuu

3 hours ago, Robuu said:

That NCAA map didn't include UC in the survey. (Assuming it's the one I've seen before from NYT.)

Yeah, I've never met an Ohio State fan in Cincinnati. I don't trust that map's accuracy at all.

4 hours ago, edale said:

I think there are a ton of Steeler fans in Cbus, too. 

There didn't used to be until about the Rothlesberger days. You had to pick either Cleveland or Cincinnati. No Green Bay either. I don't know how the Green Bay in Columbus phenomenon happened, honestly.

There are a fair number of people in Cincinnati who have abandoned The Bengals and started following the Colts or, more often, The Steelers. 

Also, nobody cares about the Pacers, anywhere. 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, troeros said:

Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cavs has nixed the proposed plans to rennovate their arena, but still vows to keep the team in Cleveland for the foreseeable future. 

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about.  The arena is literally, now, at this very moment, going through a massive renovation.  It's all there in the Cleveland development thread. With lots of pictures!  The Cleveland development thread is on Urban Ohio.   It's not that hard to find.   Since this is your second incorrect statement about Cleveland in the past week,  I would suggest looking at all of the Cleveland developments happening before you continue talking nonsense.  And "renovate" only has one "n".

• Like 3

So since we're not getting any NHL or NBA team for the foreseeable future (not at all happening), looks like we've got three major league sports teams. 

The Bengals play at Paul Brown Stadium. 

The Reds play at Great American Ballpark. 

FC Cincinnati will play in Newport Oakley the West End.

Not holding my breath, but I hope by the time this place opens—the city and County realize how great the multimodal connections are here. A properly built Central Parkway bike lane could be great for cyclists as well as Red Bike users. Metro has several routes from the West Side, Clifton, Northside, and Downtown that all connect here. And of course: the streetcar. Make Elm's right most lane transit only on match days and let the buses/streetcars ferry people in. Would love to see shots on ESPN of orange and blue clad fans departing a streetcar at Washington Park with Music Hall in the background. 

12 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Yeah, I've never met an Ohio State fan in Cincinnati. I don't trust that map's accuracy at all.

Do you live under a rock? 

11 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

There are a fair number of people in Cincinnati who have abandoned The Bengals and started following the Colts or, more often, The Steelers. 

Also, nobody cares about the Pacers, anywhere. 

You don't think there are any Pacers fan in the state of Indiana where everyone loves basketball?  🤦‍♂️

13 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Definitely OSU fans in Cincy, but don't think it's been as bad in recent years. But still very prevalent. 

15 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

I used to see OSU wear all the time, but it was before the one-sided feud between UC and OSU kicked in.

It's still all over, but it's about as prevalent as UK-wear, and both are drowned by UC.

I looked at the methodology of that map (again, assuming it's the one I saw a couple/few years ago) and it just didn't include UC in the population of school fandoms analyzed. Makes me wonder how many other schools are just not included that would clearly win some counties.

3 hours ago, Cincy513 said:

You don't think there are any Pacers fan in the state of Indiana where everyone loves basketball?  🤦‍♂️

The Pacers are the closest NBA team to Cincinnati and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone wearing a Pacer's jersey. I don't know if I could picture what one looks like. 

22 minutes ago, Robuu said:

It's still all over, but it's about as prevalent as UK-wear, and both are drowned by UC.

I looked at the methodology of that map (again, assuming it's the one I saw a couple/few years ago) and it just didn't include UC in the population of school fandoms analyzed. Makes me wonder how many other schools are just not included that would clearly win some counties.

Marshall isn't on there even though it wins all of western WV on other maps.

1 minute ago, thomasbw said:

The Pacers are the closest NBA team to Cincinnati and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone wearing a Pacer's jersey. I don't know if I could picture what one looks like. 

Yeah people in Cincy don't care about the Pacers or really the NBA in general.  But the entire state of Indiana does.  

11 minutes ago, thomasbw said:

Yeah I think it has or used to have a diagonal 1980s-looking P. I have never, ever, heard local sports talk discuss The Pacers.  

Their arena is...107 miles from Fountain Square.   

15 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Yeah people in Cincy don't care about the Pacers or really the NBA in general.  But the entire state of Indiana does.  

No one caring about pacers in Ohio is accurate. No one caring about nba in Ohio is not. Plenty of cincy people wear Cavs, golden state, Laker LeBron jerseys, etc. 

55 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Marshall isn't on there even though it wins all of western WV on other maps.

It's on there. It's hard to tell in the picture but if you go to the interactive map on the website and zoom in you can see they have a few zip codes in and around Huntington. 

FCC offers West End residents a new deadline to leave – if they make a deal

797afe93-5cc7-4404-8d0f-eb82c54076f6-042

FC Cincinnati is offering the residents of two properties it now owns in the West End a new deadline to leave, but only if they sign an agreement with the club by the end of May.

The residents’ status could be key to an City Council vote next week on zoning ordinances the club needs to proceed with construction on its Major League Soccer stadium in the neighborhood.

In a statement, FCC said that it would allow residents to stay at 421 Wade St. and 1559 Central Ave. until Oct. 31 if tenants and the club come to an agreement on their status by May 31. The club has proposed giving each one a $2,500 relocation payment once they leave, paying for moving services and free rent. At least four tenants have not yet lined up new housing, according to the club. Residents previously were told they needed to leave by May 31 but may be allowed to stay longer if there were extenuating circumstances.

FCC blamed “outside activists” and “media coverage,” saying that both have encouraged tenants “to forgo other housing options and remain in the buildings – even though the buildings will be closed-down and will not be used for residential housing.”

“Staying in the buildings is not an option,” the club’s prepared statement said.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/16/fcc-offers-west-end-residents-a-new-deadline-to.html

11 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

It's on there. It's hard to tell in the picture but if you go to the interactive map on the website and zoom in you can see they have a few zip codes in and around Huntington. 

Argh, this is another thing that makes me feel like Marshall's move to Conference USA was a really bad idea. They used to rule anything west of Charleston and east of Ashland. Scioto, Lawrence and Gallia Counties too.

9 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

FCC offers West End residents a new deadline to leave – if they make a deal

797afe93-5cc7-4404-8d0f-eb82c54076f6-042

FC Cincinnati is offering the residents of two properties it now owns in the West End a new deadline to leave, but only if they sign an agreement with the club by the end of May.

The residents’ status could be key to an City Council vote next week on zoning ordinances the club needs to proceed with construction on its Major League Soccer stadium in the neighborhood.

In a statement, FCC said that it would allow residents to stay at 421 Wade St. and 1559 Central Ave. until Oct. 31 if tenants and the club come to an agreement on their status by May 31. The club has proposed giving each one a $2,500 relocation payment once they leave, paying for moving services and free rent. At least four tenants have not yet lined up new housing, according to the club. Residents previously were told they needed to leave by May 31 but may be allowed to stay longer if there were extenuating circumstances.

FCC blamed “outside activists” and “media coverage,” saying that both have encouraged tenants “to forgo other housing options and remain in the buildings – even though the buildings will be closed-down and will not be used for residential housing.”

“Staying in the buildings is not an option,” the club’s prepared statement said.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/16/fcc-offers-west-end-residents-a-new-deadline-to.html

If FCC did not own the building, a developer or renovator could come in, purchase the building and evict all the tenants and offer nothing in return. Legally, they would have 30 days to move and there is nothing the city could do, especially if the renovator does not change the footprint of the building, to stop them.

Getting a $2500 moving allowance amongst other reasonable concessions shows that FCC is trying to be a decent neighbor. The activists who are urging the tenants to act against their best interests care little about the tenants and are just using them as pawns. That is the saddest thing about the whole situation. Instead of trying to let the people who live in the building negotiate and act in their best interests, neighborhood activists show they don't care at all about the people involved but rather are simply using them to protect some power interest they have with the city and show that they are the kingmakers. These "neighborhood activists" are often influenced themselves by outside parties that don't give a damn about the neighborhood anyway.