cincydave8

Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium

Populous have designed some very sexy stadiums recently. Gives me some hope for the West End. Also, can't wait for monday to see the updated renderings!

On 3/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, jmecklenborg said:

You have to admit that it'll be pretty incredible if the Jehovah's Witnesses simply refuse to sell and the lower sliver of this scene remains unchanged. 

Is the theater still not demolished? Does FCC still not own the building yet to tear it down?

19 hours ago, troeros said:

Populous have designed some very sexy stadiums recently. Gives me some hope for the West End. Also, can't wait for monday to see the updated renderings!

As nice as some have been, I think it is important to recognize that sometimes the initial and final products are wildly different, as can be seen with Audi Field.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01/27/soccer-stadium-renderings-design-changes

I hope we still get a very nice stadium, but I personally feel the first design for Audi Field was so much more appealing than the final product.

3 minutes ago, TraderJake said:

I hope we still get a very nice stadium, but I personally feel the first design for Audi Field was so much more appealing than the final product.

It's always more appealing in the rendering. This is actually a big problem with the architecture industry today IMO. For example, t's really easy to render ETFE on an entire stadium for an image or two. Getting it to work in the project and getting the client to pay for it is a different story. Usually the realities of a budget cause the designs to fall flat compared to their conceptual artistic imagery.

But the issue with competitions is that the most provocative imagery usually wins. This climate causes firms to create renderings for extravagant structures that they know will never pan out that way in the end...

FC Cincinnati has new architect for its $250 million West End stadium

stadium%20image.JPG?IxkTKF7_IVeKTYJMlP8J

FC Cincinnati has selected a new architecture firm to work on the construction phase of its $250 million West End stadium.

Kansas City-based Populous, which is one of the largest firms in the nation and a top sports architecture firm, has been selected for this next phase of work. Meis Architects had created the stadium design.

Lizz Summers, vice president of communications for FC Cincinnati, said Meis Architects delivered a “groundbreaking” design. Now, Populous is coming in for the building phase of the project. She said Populous is experienced in MLS and soccer-specific stadiums.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/03/29/fc-cincinnati-has-new-architect-for-its-250.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

From a generic Google search for their stadium designs.  That specific rendering is actually of Houston's.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I have heard from two sources that Dan Meis over promised and under deliver multiple times to the ownership team.  The overall design and aesthetic ended up not being what ownership wanted  from the design. I can only hope that Populous will create something impactful. My thinking is it will be something that can be  paired down and made affordable when construction cost balloon...

Understand that they are highlighting the stadium in the renderings, but would really love to see a render with the background buildings colored in too. 

The number of "people" in the in-stadium shot looks way too high to me as well.

There are more renderings on Business Courier that show it with the orange 'turned off' showing the silver form of the building. I don't know how to embed images from their tricky slideshows:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/04/fc-cincinnati-releases-new-stadium-renderings-as-a.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline#g/452217/3

It also states "LED lights will backlight the PTFE membrane and function from dusk until 1a.m. each day according to the documents".

Edited by ucgrady

Final FC Cincinnati sound study: Changes needed to stadium, Music Hall

fccfinaldevelopment03*750xx1564-880-109-

The final version of an FC Cincinnati stadium noise study concludes that measures will need to be taken at both the stadium and within Music Hall to eliminate the possibility of patrons hearing outside noise if games or concerts are occurring at the stadium at the same time as performances.

According to Music Hall’s noise study, the proposed ribbon design of FC Cincinnati's new stadium is "essentially ineffective as barriers to noise propagation.”

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/15/final-fc-cincinnati-sound-study-changes-needed-to.html

Yeah, it was pretty clear that it was going to happen last week, when they requested that the Jehovah's Witnesses property be rezoned as part of their PD (planned development).

40 minutes ago, troeros said:

Interesting. Wouldn't mind honestly to see the police station land redeveloped honestly.

Not a terrible idea, probably create another substation for District One somewhere in OTR or CBD besides the closet in The Banks. If they were to use the Permit Center site, hopefully they would buy the Rest Inn and demolish it. 

New and Updated renderings are out. 

West Side Entrance:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stadium originally looked like Bayern Munich's Allianz Stadium to me but is now starting to give me Tottenham Hotspur Stadium vibe. 

Edited by cincydave8
  • Like 1

410 Wade St., a small free-standing garage on the same side of the street as the condo conversions, just sold to a developer for $40,000.  This seller didn't check comparable sales, apparently, or else they'd know that two recent sellers got more than that for similar pieces of land.  

1 hour ago, jmecklenborg said:

410 Wade St., a small free-standing garage on the same side of the street as the condo conversions, just sold to a developer for $40,000.  This seller didn't check comparable sales, apparently, or else they'd know that two recent sellers got more than that for similar pieces of land.  

They could have signed a sales contract a long time ago. 

Providing the stadium looks anything like that, I'd be pretty pleased. I'm glad they're going with more neutral grey colors and a more simple contemporary look to help contrast it from its historic surroundings. I just hope they don't ruin the frontage along Central Parkway by setting it 5 miles off the street and 5 stories above it. 

11 hours ago, jwulsin said:

They could have signed a sales contract a long time ago. 

Possibly.  It'll be crazy to see if the Jehovah's Witnesses were conned or if they haul away a wheel barrow full of $100 bills. 

So far the biggest sale, by far, was Tri-State's $25 million haul for their warehouse and unused lawn.  The total footprint was about 620x160, or the equivalent of about 50 25x80-foot single-family lots.  They sold for the equivalent of $500,000 per single-family lot.  So FC paid far more in total and by the square foot to buy out Tri-State than they did to build a replacement high school stadium for Taft. 

North of the stadium, Vision West End Realty paid the equivalent of $107,000 per lot for the  7 lots covered by the unused cinder block building between Wade and Bauer. 

FC Cincinnati to meet with West End residents, won’t comply with council motion

Jeff Berding, president and general manager of FC Cincinnati, said the team will meet as soon as possible with residents of two buildings near its more than $250 million stadium but it won’t comply with Cincinnati City Council’s motion to move residents from one of those West End buildings to another.

Berding made the comments during a media roundtable on Thursday afternoon.

“This process has certainly been more complicated and involved than I ever anticipated,” Berding said.

At the beginning of April, City Beat reported on FC Cincinnati’s purchase of 421 Wade St., and 1559 Central Ave., from Fred Berger. According to theCincinnati Enquirer, a total of 17 people have or will have to relocate from those properties, which are just north of the stadium site.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/26/fc-cincinnati-to-meet-with-west-end-residents-won.html

Just my opinion: I think Council is doing the right thing by withholding the zoning approval. It's not like FC Cincinnati is going to stop building their stadium. I haven't thought out what type of precedent a move like this sets, but I think standing up for renters in this situation is a strong moral position.

• Like 1

We're years into this and construction has begun but the team has never, ever released an actual working site plan or anything but the most vague suggestions for what might be built north of the stadium or between it and the parkway. 

We also haven't heard what the team and developers plan for the scattered historic buildings between Wade and Liberty St.  Are all of these buildings going to be demolished?  Is scorched earth the plan?  

If the team owns the buildings I think a good assumption would be that they're going to be demolished.  That way if any of them aren't demo'd you'll be happy.  

42 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

If the team owns the buildings I think a good assumption would be that they're going to be demolished.  That way if any of them aren't demo'd you'll be happy.  

They could turn the Jehovah's Witnesses church into a credit union with a drive-thru ATM:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1120904,-84.52397,3a,35.4y,122.99h,93.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUN0auIU1a7Gx5BfRYIo7cA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656