Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Media Propaganda

It's not amazing at all.  Obama had 4 quarters that were better.  Nobody is amazed by a 4% quarter.

What politifact does a good job of in the entire article is putting context to the number with some charts.  You should spend time reading and understanding it all.  I thought it was very well done and factual.

earlier on and midway through Obama's reign he had a couple of good quarters that were slightly higher, but his last few years were pretty sluggish, so the most recent number is amazing when viewed in context.

If 4.1% for one quarter is amazing, then what is 5.2%?

It was not amazing by definition.  it was strong however.  That's exactly how they ruled. 

The applicability of a word like "amazing" to surprisingly strong numbers is subjective. Personally, I'd say the numbers were a bit more than surprising, yet not quote stunning nor astounding. Amazing seems to fit pretty well in between there.

Anyway, criticism of this type of subjective word choice has place on a website that is allegedly focused on fact checking. If Trump had claimed 5%, and the actual number was 4.1%, they could have called it out. The reality is this article is a completely unnecessary opinion piece that amounts to an attack on Trump. The same could be said for the vast majority of content on Politifact. What we've witnessed since the emergence of Trump is that it's impossible for people in the media, most of whom lean rather far to the left, to separate their political feelings from their work.

Facts are an attack on Trump now.  HAHAHAHAHA

When Trump "predicted" his 4% growth he already knew the numbers.  There is nothing amazing about a 4% quarter.  Nothing at all.  If it is amazing then what would you call Obama's 5% quarter.

If Trump had claimed 5%, and the actual number was 4.1%, they could have called it out.

If Trump had simply stated that the economy grew at 4.1%, then you'd be right, but he chose to brag about it with superlatives, so the point was to put it into context of past economic growth.

If Trump had claimed 5%, and the actual number was 4.1%, they could have called it out.

If Trump had simply stated that the economy grew at 4.1%, then you'd be right, but he chose to brag about it with superlatives, so the point was to put it into context of past economic growth.

also, trying to state that the economy has turned around and his policies are working is a bunch of bunk.  You can't make these claims with one quarter.  It was a strong quarter but we need to see if this continues or not.

also, trying to state that the economy has turned around and his policies are working is a bunch of bunk.  You can't make these claims with one quarter.  It was a strong quarter but we need to see if this continues or not.

Well, he said it's sustainable, and when is he ever wrong?

Are you saying that it is a cold, hard fact that 4.1% is not amazing? Is there a list some place that regulates what is/isn't amazing? I'd hate to use the word incorrectly. Generally, I always assume that if something amazes me, it's "amazing," but apparently that's not the case.

Are you saying that it is a cold, hard fact that 4.1% is not amazing? Is there a list some place that regulates what is/isn't amazing? I'd hate to use the word incorrectly. Generally, I always assume that if something amazes me, it's "amazing," but apparently that's not the case.

Nope.  I am speaking to overall article in politifact which is chock full o' facts. the overall article isn't about word choice but context.    you feel that their article backed up by data and displayed in a nice chart format is an anti-Trump bias. whereas, i view it as an analysis of his hyperbolic claims.  it's a strong quarter.  nothing more, nothing less.

"A daily diet of FOX, Trump right-wing radio and disinformation from the pro-Putin Breitbart, Daily Caller and the mysteriously-funded Federalist, makes it a challenge for the truth to reach many voters."

Interview with Cheri Jacobus

Cheri Jacobus talks about the GOP, Russia, the media and taking back Congress.

https://www.philstockworld.com/2018/08/13/interview-with-cheri-jacobus/

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

FCC Chair says White House called him about the Sinclair, Tribune merger after he suggested he'd oppose it http://hill.cm/vPnnYMH

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

But Fox isn't state media.....

Fox News Gave Ron DeSantis $9.3 Million in Free Airtime, His Campaign Says

http://fortune.com/2018/08/29/fox-news-ron-desantis-ads/

You have got to be kidding me.....

“A Fox News correspondent is a leading candidate to head the State Department agency tasked with combating propaganda and disinformation from foreign adversaries.”

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/05/politics/lea-gabrielle-gec/index.html

"A daily diet of FOX, Trump right-wing radio and disinformation from the pro-Putin Breitbart, Daily Caller and the mysteriously-funded Federalist, makes it a challenge for the truth to reach many voters."

Interview with Cheri Jacobus

Cheri Jacobus talks about the GOP, Russia, the media and taking back Congress.

https://www.philstockworld.com/2018/08/13/interview-with-cheri-jacobus/

Let's not pretend inserting any liberal media outlet into the above quote makes it any more truthful

EDIT:  My point is all of the media channels spread whatever truth their financiers tell them too

Let's not pretend inserting any liberal media outlet into the above quote makes it any more truthful

EDIT:  My point is all of the media channels spread whatever truth their financiers tell them too

I wouldn't have wanted someone from MSNBC to be Obama's rep in that position either. And while I've never worked in broadcast media, I have worked for a newspaper and did so 20 years. Never did my papers' owner or publisher tell me to write or not write a story.

Anyone ever watch the Russian propaganda station RT?

I spent the last week in hotels and every one of them had the channel. It's easy to get caught up watching; it's visually compelling while seamlessly navigating both high and somewhat lo-fi production values. Much of the focus was on the political climate in Europe and other international events. If I didn't know any better I'd assume it was BBC World or something similar.

I spent the last week in hotels and every one of them had the channel. It's easy to get caught up watching; it's visually compelling while seamlessly navigating both high and somewhat lo-fi production values. Much of the focus was on the political climate in Europe and other international events. If I didn't know any better I'd assume it was BBC World or something similar.

I was in Chicago watching it in my hotel bed once in the early morning.... I kid you not this was a direct quote from an RT Anchor: "The prevalence of donuts in America is why the country remains unprepared for combat."

I was in Chicago watching it in my hotel bed once in the early morning.... I kid you not this was a direct quote from an RT Anchor: "The prevalence of donuts in America is why the country remains unprepared for combat."

I mean...there is some truth to that hahaha.

^That was for the P-D, a Real Paper though. Had you worked in Cincinnati the story might have been different.

Sun Newspapers, actually. I competed with and often scooped the PD, which wasn't easy considering they were a daily and we were a weekly. But it got easier when we started posting stuff on the Internet the moment an editor put it on the copy queue. But we didn't post stuff with the goal of correcting it as more sources called us back, as broadcast media often does. We posted it only after we felt there was no more information to get.

I mean...are they wrong? :D

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I mean...are they wrong? :D

And just like that RT has brought in new converts!

What's smart about RT is that they bring in some guests who are actually knowledgeable and respected. But they seem to really rely on "experts" of dubious background or think tanks that were created out of thin air. It's broadcast schizophrenia.

The overnight radio show Coast to Coast AM was famous for this. They would have a NASA physicist as a guest, immediately followed by someone claiming to be a time traveling alien, lizard person or vampire.

Sinclair IS a cancer. Like most conservatives, they're cheap SOBs.......

Der Spiegel has been caught up in a very bad "fake news" scandal. It's been out for a few days now but I'm just getting caught up and didn't see anything here about it.  One of their star reporters, a former CNN "Journalist of the Year" award winner, has been caught fabricating stories for years:

Der Spiegel reporter Claas Relotius sacked over 'invented' stories

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46624297

Claas Relotius "falsified articles on a grand scale and even invented characters", Der Spiegel said.

Among the articles in question are major features that had been nominated for or won awards, the magazine added...

An investigation into a story by Relotius about immigration and the US-Mexican border revealed that he had fabricated information about seeing a hand-painted sign in a town in Minnesota that read: "Mexicans Keep Out." Fraudulent information appeared in other stories including one about inmates at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay and another about the US NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

This is a good read - a piece put together by two residents of the aforementioned Minnesota town that highlights just how absurd some of the fabrications were. Between tales of winding through the forested hillsides (to a town that's on a very flat prairie with few trees in sight) to gazing out a cafe's windows at six coal burning smokestacks (from a diner known for having no windows in a town with only one smokestack), it seems Relotius made up almost everything:

https://medium.com/@micheleanderson/der-spiegel-journalist-messed-with-the-wrong-small-town-d92f3e0e01a7

10 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

Der Spiegel has been caught up in a very bad "fake news" scandal. It's been out for a few days now but I'm just getting caught up and didn't see anything here about it.  One of their star reporters, a former CNN "Journalist of the Year" award winner, has been caught fabricating stories for years:

Der Spiegel reporter Claas Relotius sacked over 'invented' stories

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46624297

Claas Relotius "falsified articles on a grand scale and even invented characters", Der Spiegel said.

Among the articles in question are major features that had been nominated for or won awards, the magazine added...

An investigation into a story by Relotius about immigration and the US-Mexican border revealed that he had fabricated information about seeing a hand-painted sign in a town in Minnesota that read: "Mexicans Keep Out." Fraudulent information appeared in other stories including one about inmates at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay and another about the US NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

This is a good read - a piece put together by two residents of the aforementioned Minnesota town that highlights just how absurd some of the fabrications were. Between tales of winding through the forested hillsides (to a town that's on a very flat prairie with few trees in sight) to gazing out a cafe's windows at six coal burning smokestacks (from a diner known for having no windows in a town with only one smokestack), it seems Relotius made up almost everything:

https://medium.com/@micheleanderson/der-spiegel-journalist-messed-with-the-wrong-small-town-d92f3e0e01a7

So you believe in accountability when a reporter lies, but not for your president.  That's quite an interesting set of priorities considering the vastly different consequences. 

This is probably better suited to the Democrat 2020 presidential thread, which is locked. But it could also work here....

1 minute ago, KJP said:

This talking point makes me soooooo mad.. and its popular among liberal pundits. It is not CNN's job to make sure no one can play spoiler, that's the entire point of democracy and the 5th estate. 

I'd put it this way with regards to Dems and Schultz. The Dems have been waiting to play QB, they're a junior, and the senior gets hurt in the offseason, so the job looks like it's theirs to grab... then someone states they intend to transfer in from another school and the Junior QB is outraged at the coach for allowing there to be open competition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

This talking point makes me soooooo mad.. and its popular among liberal pundits. It is not CNN's job to make sure no one can play spoiler, that's the entire point of democracy and the 5th estate. 

I'd put it this way with regards to Dems and Schultz. The Dems have been waiting to play QB, they're a junior, and the senior gets hurt in the offseason, so the job looks like it's theirs to grab... then someone states they intend to transfer in from another school and the Junior QB is outraged at the coach for allowing there to be open competition. 

Counterpoint: Howard Schultz isn't yet running for President and is generally terrible or non-existent on policy.  I'd rather hear a town hall from Buttigieg, Gillibrand, Booker, etc. - you know, candidates who have actually declared.

• Like 1

Very Stable Genius

29 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Counterpoint: Howard Schultz isn't yet running for President and is generally terrible or non-existent on policy.  I'd rather hear a town hall from Buttigieg, Gillibrand, Booker, etc. - you know, candidates who have actually declared.

Sure, that's fine... but the visceral reaction against the attention shown to Schultz comes off as insecurity, imo, rather than pointing out a perceived injustice or disservice. 

5 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Sure, that's fine... but the visceral reaction against the attention shown to Schultz comes off as insecurity, imo, rather than pointing out a perceived injustice or disservice. 

Schultz has a 4% favorability rating at the moment - that's 4% among Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Is it an open competition if CNN is giving Schultz this air time but not Buttigieg, Gillibrand, etc.? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEPACincy said:

Is it an open competition if CNN is giving Schultz this air time but not Buttigieg, Gillibrand, etc.? 

I promise you CNN will do AT least 6 town halls with Dem contenders. 

And to your question, yeah, it is. I'd venture to bet Schultz's PR team reached out to CNN for this... if it went the other way,  and CNN reached out, then I'm wrong. 

The media did the same thing with Trump.  They gave him massive free coverage where he would talk about nothing but his dumb racist ideas.  Meanwhile serious candidates were discussing real ideas.  Then the media complained that no one focused on the issues. 

If The Media was Actually Liberal they would have given Trump almost no screen time. But Trump = Ratings so the almighty dollar wins as always over politics with for-profit media.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

If The Media was Actually Liberal they would have given Trump almost no screen time. But Trump = Ratings so the almighty dollar wins as always over politics with for-profit media.

this might have been true during the campaign, when he got excessive coverage in relation to the other candidates, but once he became President getting lots of "screen time" goes with the position. 

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

I promise you CNN will do AT least 6 town halls with Dem contenders. 

And to your question, yeah, it is. I'd venture to bet Schultz's PR team reached out to CNN for this... if it went the other way,  and CNN reached out, then I'm wrong. 

There's virtually no constituency for Howard Schultz.

• Like 1

Very Stable Genius

13 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

^Did you just quote Ian Milhiser in regards to Howard Schultz? C'mon now... 

Not for his insight but for reporting how many people are watching the Schultz livestream.  Do you need a different source to believe the number of people who watched it or something?

Very Stable Genius

20 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Not for his insight but for reporting how many people are watching the Schultz livestream.  Do you need a different source to believe the number of people who watched it or something?

No, I believe you. But citing him re: something about Schultz would be like citing me re: something about that Pumpkinhead guy at Browns games. 

https://thinkprogress.org/howard-schultz-policy-speech-416da7ffc5df/

I think this has a screenshot.

I would be fine if Schultz wants to make his case in the Dem primary - if he was actually the voice missing in the Democratic Party, he'd be much better positioned to defeat Trump than this socially liberal, fiscally conservative Indy bid he's mulling.  He'd also have earned it by making his case to the ~50% of the country who will work and vote to defeat Trump.  He wants to take the easy way out by avoiding any primaries and not having to take stands on difficult issues against other candidates.

Very Stable Genius

Another one of Donnie's friends exposed as a dirtbag.  Well you know what they say, "Birds of a feather flock together"

image.thumb.png.8fda3c6376a9998f4d90e0e9e56da19f.png

this didn't age well

The competitor here is the National Enquirer who is implicated in Trump's campaign finance felonies.  What's interesting is the a "government agency" intercepted Bezos' text messages.  So the plot thickens. 

3 hours ago, freefourur said:

The competitor here is the National Enquirer who is implicated in Trump's campaign finance felonies.  What's interesting is the a "government agency" intercepted Bezos' text messages.  So the plot thickens.  

We have that "crazy conspiracy theories" thread for nonsense like this. Sure, Jeff, it was the big bad government who hacked into your phone/cloud and leaked your text messages. It certainly couldn't have been your sidepiece, nor her husband, nor your soon-to-be-ex wife who stands to make billions off your divorce, nor the thousands of enemies the owner of such a large corporation must have made over the course of a career... it must have been Trump! He'd have been better off blaming aliens (the ones from outer space).

41 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

We have that "crazy conspiracy theories" thread for nonsense like this. Sure, Jeff, it was the big bad government who hacked into your phone/cloud and leaked your text messages. It certainly couldn't have been your sidepiece, nor her husband, nor your soon-to-be-ex wife who stands to make billions off your divorce, nor the thousands of enemies the owner of such a large corporation must have made over the course of a career... it must have been Trump! He'd have been better off blaming aliens (the ones from outer space).

The thing is, AMI’s actions may have crossed the line to extortion, depending on who you consult.  Bezos of course owns the paper that ostensibly brought down Nixon.   The odds are they were a stalking horse for a faction of the FBI (sound familiar?).   This doesn’t seem like a smart battle.  Especially since DJT won’t hesitate to send them beneath the proverbial GILLIG if it suits him to do so.