Sign in to follow this  
KJP

Media Propaganda

This kind of damage will be so difficult to undo. I can't believe propaganda news and hyper-partisanship could actually get any worse following the loss of the Fairness Doctrine. But they will with this...

BREAKING: FCC votes to eliminate media ownership rules, paving way for one company to own multiple TV stations or both TV station/newspaper in one market.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-media-regulation/fcc-votes-to-loosen-media-ownership-rules-idUSKBN1DG2R9

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

So much fun!

Almost missed this: The home of right-wing radio in Cincinnati, which loves lecturing local/national Dems about fiscal responsibility, has declared bankruptcy. Never let hypocrisy get in the way of sanctimonious pablum, folks!

https://t.co/lSD5L90arn

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

^ The parent company (the largest radio company in the country) declared bankruptcy. I'd be extremely surprised if 700 WLW wasn't extremely profitable itself. It's the most popular AM radio station in the region, by a long shot.

WLW will live on to continue bashing the local government here in Cincinnati - a government that over the past week has shown, in multiple ways, to be entirely deserving of that bashing.

In addition to WLW, iHeartMedia owns 1/3 of the other radio stations in Cincinnati:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb031

LOL!  Breitbart News dropped from 15 million unique visitors in October to 7.8 million in February http://politi.co/2ICvqYV  via @JasonSchwartz

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/26/breitbart-implicated-in-plot-to-pay-off-roy-moore-accuser-lawyer-says/

Attorney Eddie Sexton was approached by two Moore supporters a few days after his client, Leigh Corfman, came forward to accuse Moore of sexual misconduct when she was a minor, according to The Washington Post. They are reported to have asked Sexton to drop Corfman as a client and publicly denounce her accusations through a statement that would be given to Breitbart News, a media outlet notoriously friendly to President Donald Trump and run at the time by his former chief strategist Steve Bannon. In return, Sexton would be paid $10,000 and introduced to Bannon.

This seems fine.

Very Stable Genius

Seattle local TV anchors are being forced to read this script on-air. It slams "fake news" and says the media is pushing its political agenda

The station is owned by Sinclair, a conservative local TV owner that reaches 40% of U.S. homes

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/amp/KOMO-fake-news-Sinclair-promos-12792032.php

I strongly contend that the American media isn't about propaganda, but much more-so about entertainment. The difference is that it is consumer-based.

I strongly contend that the American media isn't about propaganda, but much more-so about entertainment. The difference is that it is consumer-based.

I think it's actually both.  Sinclair and FoxNews are straight up propaganda.  Although Fox used to just be a biased source.  MSNBC is heavily biased as well but I'd stop short of calling them propaganda.  Fox and MSNBC used to be similar but Fox recently has gone completely off the deep end.

Fox (minus Shep Smith)  is absolute bullshit but I don't think I'd call it propaganda. They're just able to capitalize on a large number of ignorant Americans. Even though Trump loves Fox above all other news networks, I still wouldn't consider them propaganda because the network isn't state-ran and there's still a rogue person or two at Fox News, by the grace of God, whom I'm not sure I believe in.

On the surface, though, it certainly appears as if Fox is State propaganda.  I just think they aren't quite there, yet (and I certainly hope they would never be.)

Fox (minus Shep Smith)  is absolute bullshit but I don't think I'd call it propaganda. They're just able to capitalize on a large number of ignorant Americans. Even though Trump loves Fox above all other news networks, I still wouldn't consider them propaganda because the network isn't state-ran and there's still a rogue person or two at Fox News, by the grace of God, whom I'm not sure I believe in.

On the surface, though, it certainly appears as if Fox is State propaganda.  I just think they aren't quite there, yet (and I certainly hope they would never be.)

They might not be fully state propaganda but they've definitely moved farther in that direction. 

Honestly, this is where I stand: If Fox happens to fire Shep Smith, I'll be compelled to be completely on board with all of your assertions. Outside of that, I'm giving them a pass in the meanatime. Don't get me wrong; I completely understand where you're coming from and overall, I really don't like Fox.

Honestly, this is where I stand: If Fox happens to fire Shep Smith, I'll be compelled to be completely on board with all of your assertions. Outside of that, I'm giving them a pass in the meanatime. Don't get me wrong; I completely understand where you're coming from and overall, I really don't like Fox.

Fox keeps people like Shep around to give them an air of legitimacy.  But after 7pm it's all propaganda replete with conspiracy theories and all manner of whataboutisms and distractions. 

So your assertion is that Fox keeps guys like Shep around to give the illusion that they somehow remain a legitimate, 'fair and balanced' news source? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just curious to know more about what you think.

I just never thought that Fox was quite as bad as folks on this forum made them out to be.

So your assertion is that Fox keeps guys like Shep around to give the illusion that they somehow remain a legitimate, 'fair and balanced' news source? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just curious to know more about what you think.

I just never thought that Fox was quite as bad as folks on this forum made them out to be.

Fox News used to be "better" than they are now.  They used to merely spin news to a more conservative tilt.  What they do now is pure propaganda and running cover Trump. The reason they've gotten worse is there are no real redeeming qualities about Trump, therefore it's easier to placate the sheep with stories about Bill Clinton from 30 years ago. 

Fox News used to be "better" than they are now.  They used to merely spin news to a more conservative tilt.  What they do now is pure propaganda and running cover Trump. The reason they've gotten worse is there are no real redeeming qualities about Trump, therefore it's easier to placate the sheep with stories about Bill Clinton from 30 years ago. 

That's fair.

Making mistakes accidentally is one thing. But intentionally putting wrong information out there to achieve a desired political result other than the pursuit of truth is the definition of propaganda. They seek only to anger and inflame the masses to achieve an extremist body politic. That's what Fox and Sinclair do. CNN broadcasts news for the sole purpose of ratings, thereby making them entertainment or, at best, info-tainment, and MSNBC is left-wing biased.

Making mistakes accidentally is one thing. But intentionally putting wrong information out there to achieve a desired political result other than the pursuit of truth is the definition of propaganda. They seek only to anger and inflame the masses to achieve an extremist body politic. That's what Fox and Sinclair do. CNN broadcasts news for the sole purpose of ratings, thereby making them entertainment or, at best, info-tainment, and MSNBC is left-wing biased.

PBS is my favorite source for real actual news.  NPR is good too obviously. 

Making mistakes accidentally is one thing. But intentionally putting wrong information out there to achieve a desired political result other than the pursuit of truth is the definition of propaganda.

I have to say, that's an insightful and very vaid argument considering the current political climate.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/01/media/sinclair-anchor-promos/index.html

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490

Earlier this month, CNN’s Brian Stelter broke the news that Sinclair Broadcast Group, owner or operator of nearly 200 television stations in the U.S., would be forcing its news anchors to record a promo about “the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country.” The script, which parrots Donald Trump’s oft-declarations of developments negative to his presidency as “fake news,” brought upheaval to newsrooms already dismayed with Sinclair’s consistent interference to bring right-wing propaganda to local television broadcasts.

Very Stable Genius

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/01/media/sinclair-anchor-promos/index.html

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490

Earlier this month, CNN’s Brian Stelter broke the news that Sinclair Broadcast Group, owner or operator of nearly 200 television stations in the U.S., would be forcing its news anchors to record a promo about “the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country.” The script, which parrots Donald Trump’s oft-declarations of developments negative to his presidency as “fake news,” brought upheaval to newsrooms already dismayed with Sinclair’s consistent interference to bring right-wing propaganda to local television broadcasts.

Couldn't have said it better myself:

So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.

NPR jumped the shark years ago. Their website is decent but the radio broadcasts are worse than the right wing talk shows - at least the right wingers are self-aware. I think the folks at NPR still believe they're actually unbiased.

So funny to watch Fake News Networks, among the most dishonest groups of people I have ever dealt with, criticize Sinclair Broadcasting for being biased. Sinclair is far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.

NPR jumped the shark years ago. Their website is decent but the radio broadcasts are worse than the right wing talk shows - at least the right wingers are self-aware. I think the folks at NPR still believe they're actually unbiased.

Trolling is banned on UO.

Very Stable Genius

Which news hosts on NPR specifically are biased?

Holy crap. For those wondering why reporters at Sinclair-owned stations don't just resign and work for another station:

It's because Sinclair's contracts say they have to pay the company tens of thousands in "damages" if they quit or are fired. https://t.co/tqA1vpJTjz

Fox keeps people like Shep around to give them an air of legitimacy.  But after 7pm it's all propaganda replete with conspiracy theories and all manner of whataboutisms and distractions.

He's also probably the only one who isn't in imminent danger of saying something so dumb and offensive that he costs the network advertisers.

Holy crap. For those wondering why reporters at Sinclair-owned stations don't just resign and work for another station:

It's because Sinclair's contracts say they have to pay the company tens of thousands in "damages" if they quit or are fired. https://t.co/tqA1vpJTjz

How is such a thing even legal? 

How is such a thing even legal? 

A two party system in which neither party supports workers, that's how.

This is much ado about nothing. This is just a promotional piece for the station. It is no more than one station saying they are the weather authority or claiming to be first fast and accurate or whatever promotional tagline there is. This is not serving as a PSA, but it is advertising. It is no different then having Savannah Guthrie stand next to the anchors of the local station and say watch Today on News Channel 9.

Also, all reporters have contracts, it is not just Sinclair. Otherwise, you could not keep a good reporter around for a period of time and always lose them to larger markets (or other stations) once the reporter breaks a big story. When one anchor quits to go to another station, they have to sit out for 6-9 months before they can be back on the air in that market.  There is nothing wrong with this. Also, I doubt most reporters have an issue with the statement and recognize it for what it is, nothing more than marketing and promotional material. 

Thank goodness!!!

JUST IN: Twenty-First Century Fox announces deal to expand its local TV portfolio by acquiring seven local stations from Sinclair Broadcast Group for about $910M.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=FOXA

DcwIrNCX4AEmvRr.jpg

This is very well done....

I'd say it's very lazily done, if anything. I don't agree with the message but I've seen versions of this that seemed far more professional than that one (in this very thread, for example).  Anyway, these stations are affiliates, owned by a parent company, and they are managed in the same way any franchise might be managed. Who cares? That doesn't make it propaganda. It's not any different than local newspapers reprinting Gannet/USA Today stories. If anything, what newspapers do is worse since they simply print what they're told, rather than keeping some semblance of local representation.

I'd say it's very lazily done, if anything. I don't agree with the message but I've seen versions of this that seemed far more professional than that one (in this very thread, for example).  Anyway, these stations are affiliates, owned by a parent company, and they are managed in the same way any franchise might be managed. Who cares? That doesn't make it propaganda. It's not any different than local newspapers reprinting Gannet/USA Today stories. If anything, what newspapers do is worse since they simply print what they're told, rather than keeping some semblance of local representation.

I care whether the news we are getting is honest and truthful.  News aren't franchises like some strip mall Subway and shouldn't be treated as such.  If you had an ounce of integrity, you would have a problem with this. 

I care whether the news we are getting is honest and truthful.  News aren't franchises like some strip mall Subway and shouldn't be treated as such.  If you had an ounce of integrity, you would have a problem with this. 

What would my problem with it be? The news the stations in questions is honest and truthful in my experience - far more so than cable networks like CNN and MSNBC. The fact that scripts are produced centrally rather than locally does not make the content dishonest. I do have a problem, to a degree, with content being centralized but newspapers led the way on that one awhile ago and I've come to terms with the fact that there's no going back.

What would my problem with it be? The news the stations in questions is honest and truthful in my experience - far more so than cable networks like CNN and MSNBC. The fact that scripts are produced centrally rather than locally does not make the content dishonest. I do have a problem, to a degree, with content being centralized but newspapers led the way on that one awhile ago and I've come to terms with the fact that there's no going back.

Yeah, if only there was a centralized information platform allowing billions of people access to diverse content.

Funny how you didn't mention Fox, which has been shown to factually be the most biased and least honest, particularly with its talking heads shows.  This is not a political issue to me.  I couldn't give a crap what the source is as long as it's not attempting to manipulate the news for some agenda, right or left.  We as a society have gotten well away from caring about truth and facts and that is HUGE problem.  Bias in news is a product of what sells, and people are buying into the "news" that confirms their owns beliefs rather than being about objective, provable truth.  Do you not realize how dangerous that is?  Put aside your ridiculous obsession with protecting Trump for a second and think about how easily this can work against you.  It hurts us all, sooner or later.  It makes people dumb, it makes them complacent, it makes them ignorant, and that all makes them far easier to control.  I suspect you rarely, if ever, question what you read as you likely stick only to sources that confirm what you already believe.  You're part of the problem, and the people at Sinclair, among others, love you for it.

Yeah, if only there was a centralized information platform allowing billions of people access to diverse content.

Eh, the internet is an awesome tool for information.  But there's also a ton of worthless content that caters to bias.  The ability to think critically is absolutely crucial in sifting through it all, and I fear that's something that most people either are no longer capable of, or just don't care about.

This is an interesting story. I'm curious about the journalistic ethics of sleeping with someone as a source. I find it hard to believe the New York Times wasn't fully aware of what was going on. Plus, it sets a really bad example that if you want to get ahead in journalism, be a 21 year old woman who's willing to sleep with 58 year old men for stories.

Also, the guy the reporter was banging for intel was in charge of securing documents for the Senate Intelligence Committee. He was the one leaking them to his side piece, even though his job was literally to ensure such a leak couldn't happen.  Hopefully he ends up in jail for this.

On top of all this, the reporter has repeatedly accused people close to Trump of being responsible for the leaks, even though she knew full well the source was the guy she was sleeping with. 

Top Senate staffer arrested in leak probe, after NY Times reporter's records are seized

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/top-senate-staffer-arrested-leak-probe-after-ny-times-reporter-n881186

WASHINGTON — A longtime staffer for the Senate Intelligence Committee has been arrested on charges of lying to investigators probing the potential leaking of classified information, the Justice Department announced Thursday night...

Also Thursday evening, The New York Times reported that the telephone and electronic communications of one of its reporters were seized by the Justice Department in February as part of the investigation. The reporter, Ali Watkins, declined to comment.

The Times said F.B.I. agents approached Watkins about a previous three-year romantic relationship she had with Wolfe, asserting that Wolfe had helped her with articles while they were dating. But Watkins told the Times that Wolfe was not a source of classified information for her.

To cap all of this off - of all the Tweets that "did not age well," this has got to be among the best: 

http://archive.is/nV2uG

scr.png

I'm getting damned sick of these MAGAts...

In exclusive "must-run" interview with Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Sinclair analyst says she’s been victimized by the press

Sinclair’s Boris Epshteyn to local news viewers: “The way many in the media treat White House press secretary Sarah Sanders is disrespectful and despicable”

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/06/26/exclusive-must-run-interview-sarah-huckabee-sanders-sinclair-analyst-says-she-s-been-victimized/220542