Sign in to follow this  
DarkandStormy

U.S. Senate Candidate Roy Moore (R)

I didn't want to hijack another thread so I started a new one.  Mods, if this fits a better current event topic, feel free to move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/woman-says-roy-moore-initiated-sexual-encounter-when-she-was-14-he-was-32/2017/11/09/1f495878-c293-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?utm_term=.ed967464a41b

The furor started last week when The Washington Post published a story that four women said Republican candidate for Senate in Alabama Roy Moore pursued romantic relationships with them when they were between the ages of 14-18 and Moore was in his 30s.  Leigh Corfman says Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 14 and Moore was 32.  The Post says they interviewed more than 30 people who knew Moore from 1977-1982 (the time in question) and friends of Corfman.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-woman-accuses-roy-moore-sexual-assault-minor-202055321.html

Today, another woman has come forward claiming Moore assaulted her when she was just 15.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/13/roy-moore-blasts-mcconnell-wapo-as-calls-to-leave-senate-race-grow.html

Roy Moore has called the allegations "fake news" and has threatened to sue The Washington Post.

The Republican response has been scattered - https://www.yahoo.com/news/step-aside-biblical-citations-republicans-responded-roy-moore-scandal-195044547.html

Leaders like John Kasich, (now) Mitch McConnell, John McCain, and Mitt Romney have called for Moore to step down and leave the race.

Others have said Moore should step aside "if the allegations are true."  This group included McConnell initially, Ted Cruz, Corey Gardner, and the White House.

Some have doubled down on their support.  They include Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler (making a bizarre reference to Joseph, Mary, and Jesus), chairman of the Republican Party in Bibb County Alabama Jerry Power, and a few others.

The election for the Senate seat previously held by Jeff Sessions is on December 12th.  Doug Jones is the Democratic candidate.

Alabama state officials actually floated pushing the election date back in order to give Moore a chance to withdraw and someone else a chance to take his place, but considering that some ballots have actually already been cast, that seems unlikely.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/359872-republicans-float-ways-to-push-back-ala-special-election-date

That said, I would consider it a healing moment for the country and a win for at least some baseline standards of behavior in public officials if (a) Roy Moore were to win this Alabama special election, and (b) 18 Republicans would then immediately join 49 Democrats in expelling him from his seat.  Too much to hope for?  Maybe, but if McConnell can corral that many votes still, it's within the realm of possibility.  And the Republicans would be unlikely to be without that seat for long, because it wouldn't throw the race to the Democratic opponent; it would simply trigger another special election, one in which the Republicans could either run Luther Strange or someone completely new (given that Strange did have some conflict-of-interest baggage that helped sink him once in the primary against Moore).

Each time one of these things hits the news (and there have been a ton of them this year), some woman in my facebook world starts a conversation and INEVITABLY some guy appears out of nowhere to condemn all men.  It's pretty obvious from his first post that he's trying to show off to all of the women.  Then the women get annoyed and start calling him out and he keeps digging himself a deeper hole.  I've seen this exact sequence of events play out 3-4 times now. 

Roy Moore had been banned from a mall in Gadsden, Alabama, because he badgered teen girls, residents of the town, including lawyers and cops, say: https://t.co/2PiK8XzRT8

Well, I now know who I want courting the young voters on the Presidential ticket… Moore/Wiener 2020.

Volvo has now pulled their ads as well. Dying to see some of these idiots smash up their Volvos. You're not a real conservative if you don't smash your Volvo.

Volvo has now pulled their ads as well. Dying to see some of these idiots smash up their Volvos. You're not a real conservative if you don't smash your Volvo.

Gawd.  That reminds me of the stories I hear from my fiance at her work.  Several proud Republicans take joy in "taking those damn foreign cars off the road" as in, they're glad they were in an accident with a Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc.  One has a running tally - says he's taken three out.  Nevermind the stupidity that those people will likely just get their cars fixed or buy another Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc. if their car got totaled.

I just had this thought -- how many Senators and reps are shaking in their boots right now?  Between the 535 of them there are no doubt quite a few more stories out there.

I'm sure there are more.  But probably not many, maybe not any, dealing with pedophilia.  And yes, those shades of gray matter.  That's why the Clinton whataboutism is weak sauce here, even though it is quite strong in other contexts (and even The Atlantic wrote a sort of desanctifying anti-hagiography of Bill Clinton within the last week, which I read as a statement of the Clintons' declining power more than anything else ... no progressive outlet would have dared at the height of the Clinton dynasty's power, and there is no chance that article would have run if Hillary had won the election).  There are almost certainly stories in Congress of extramarital affairs and overstepping workplace boundaries, possibly egregiously so.  But the public reaction will be different (and, IMHO, justifiably so) when the younger woman in question is 28 and not 14, even if a 65-year-old Senator pursuing a 28-year-old is still off-putting.

The most frustrating thing the “banned from the mall” and more recent anecdotes tell is that lots of folks knew. They knew -- and stayed silent.

The most frustrating thing the “banned from the mall” and more recent anecdotes tell is that lots of folks knew. They knew -- and stayed silent.

On this, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, because you can ban someone from your property (even property open to the public like a mall or restaurant, in more cases than you'd think) based on a suspicion.  You don't need proof that would convince a jury.  Just like notwithstanding the OJ verdict, it's perfectly fine to say you don't want OJ around you or your kids.  Even just in my own life, there are people that I have really dark suspicions about that I would absolutely tell my wife and kids to avoid, but I have absolutely nothing close to the level of proof that would let me go to the cops.  I just have a dark animal instinct telling me that certain people (including some pretty outwardly respectable ones) are bad news.

On this, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, because you can ban someone from your property

One of my friends received a lifetime ban from the Meadowlands Sports Complex because he threw a souvenir towel. 

Gawd.  That reminds me of the stories I hear from my fiance at her work.  Several proud Republicans take joy in "taking those damn foreign cars off the road" as in, they're glad they were in an accident with a Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc.  One has a running tally - says he's taken three out.  Nevermind the stupidity that those people will likely just get their cars fixed or buy another Toyota, Mazda, Kia, etc. if their car got totaled.

Or that a huge quantity of said brands are now built in places like Ohio, or.....Alabama.

Is there a current US Senator on trial for various corruption charges who had sex with teenage prostitutes?

What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about??  What about?? What about?? 

Is there a current US Senator on trial for various corruption charges who had sex with teenage prostitutes?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dominican-police-3-women-paid-to-make-false-claims-about-menendez/2013/03/18/f2ff253c-8fe7-11e2-9abd-e4c5c9dc5e90_story.html?utm_term=.90159c73f518

Dominican police: 3 women paid to make false claims about Menendez

Almost Weinsteinish.

Seriously, historically in corrupt places, people knew they couldn't get a person of influence in trouble, but they would likely be retaliated against.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/13/563731656/twitter-storm-lashes-keurig-after-it-pulls-ad-from-hannity-show

Keurig pulled their ads from Hannity's show and some Hannity supporters recorded themselves destroying their Keurigs.

There's so many levels of stupid on this.

I asked a couple of them why they didn't just sell them and donate the money.  No replies.  :)

Almost Weinsteinish.

Seriously, historically in corrupt places, people knew they couldn't get a person of influence in trouble, but they would likely be retaliated against.

WaPo, come on man. Oh chit edit WaPo and DR police LOL. They have a nice driving while Gringo plan down there.

The Dems are understandably dragging their feet until the new Democratic governor gets sworn in.  No way they want Christie resigning for his lieutenant and getting nominated in return.

And we forgot about the the 2 Term POTUS Rapist Bill Clinton. He wasn't half bad IDK. Bush 1 now has 6 claims of groping a s s. IDK, should it be an issue?

Other than a few outliers, male politicians are pretty much all sexual harassers and abusers, Clinton included, but this guy is a pedophile. A whole other level of evil.

"Alabama has a law generally barring defendants accused of sexual assaults from using evidence relating to their accuser’s sexual history...." Roy Moore argued to set aside this law in case of man who raped a 12-year-old https://t.co/Je3qAjKW1U

Maybe all the women Clinton assaulted will finally get their day in court after all--

I Believe Juanita

Michelle Goldberg

NOV. 13, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/opinion/juanita-broaddrick-bill-clinton.html

Thank liberals if Roy Moore survives the charges against him

By John Podhoretz November 14, 2017 | 7:45pm

https://nypost.com/2017/11/14/thank-liberals-if-roy-moore-survives-the-charges-against-him/

While the constant WHAT ABOUT THE CLINTONS???? is absolutely exasperating, I think the right wingers have a point this time. I don't think that Roy Moore is LIBRULS FAULT, but I do think Democrats have to own up to what happened in 1998. And I do think that Bill's past made it a whole lot harder for Hillary to criticize Trump last year for being a sexual predator, and that a whole lot of voters thought it was totally hypocritical and self-serving when she did.

What Bill Clinton did was wrong but it doesn't mean we should continue to accept this behavior.  Being a jerk has no political party.  Since I was a only a ripe 16 years old when Clinton was elected, I'll focus on people being jerks today. 

Thank liberals if Roy Moore survives the charges against him

By John Podhoretz November 14, 2017 | 7:45pm

https://nypost.com/2017/11/14/thank-liberals-if-roy-moore-survives-the-charges-against-him/

This article should be set to the lyrics of Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do."  As if conservatives have no agency and are simply reacting to the world shaped by liberals rather than working to do a bit of shaping of their own.  No.  If Roy Moore survives, thank conservatives, because they're voting for him.  Period.  And in doing so, they are utterly surrendering fronts in the culture war that actually matter.  Maybe not the ultimate ones of life, faith, and country (which I see Moore's diehard supporters invoking as the reasons we can't afford to lose even a single vote in DC), but pretty important ones of honor and fidelity and chastity (which extends well beyond blithe "kids these days" broadsides against the hookup culture among undergrads and twentysomethings today).

Alabama is not a purple state.  Allowing the election of a Democrat there would instantly create the most vulnerable Democratic seat in the nation, and if you look at the kind of campaign Moore's Democratic opponent is running, the man could practically switch to a Republican not long after reaching Washington.  Or the Senate could oust Roy Moore with a 2/3 vote of membership if he wins, and force another special election--a lot to handle in a short amount of time, but allowing Roy Moore to be one of the 100 most powerful legislators on the planet is a lot to handle for a less short amount of time, which is even worse.  And if that comes to pass, it's unlikely Doug Jones would win the second special election, either--if he can't beat a pedophile, it's unlikely he can beat a non-pedophile.  The Alabama electorate is not going to send a Sanders supporter to Capitol Hill.  That bogeyman needs to die.  The Republicans can make this a demonstration of principle that will cost them very little even in the short term, and would do a tremendous long-term service to the party and the country.

What Bill Clinton did was wrong but it doesn't mean we should continue to accept this behavior.  Being a jerk has no political party.  Since I was a only a ripe 16 years old when Clinton was elected, I'll focus on people being jerks today. 

Of course, and of course Moore is worse than Clinton. The question is how long the Democrats are going to have Clinton hung around their necks by the GOP, and nominating his wife probably wasn't the best move in hindsight. My only point.