mu2010

The Democratic Party

This is important. Like, march on Washington important.

Mitch McConnel just announced that he is going to refuse to seat Doug Jones for a month, until after Republicans vote again on the tax plan.

This is just plain wrong.

McConnell has shown he doesn't give a **** about the Constitution.  He sat on Merrick Garland's nomination for a year just to give Obama the middle finger for....reasons?

McConnell was fully within his constitutional prerogatives to deny Garland or any Obama nominee a vote.  The president cannot force the Senate to act any more than the Senate can force the president to act.  (Obama likewise would have been within his prerogatives not to nominate anyone.)

Oh right...they literally CHANGED THE RULES TO MAKE IT CONVENIENT FOR THEMSELVES.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/neil-gorsuch-supreme-court-senate.html?mtrref=en.wikipedia.org&gwh=3ADDFF5DD7598137404A926D53EEAC8D&gwt=pay

Playing politics with the Supreme Court of the land by sitting on a nomination for a year...yeah, tell me how much Republicans care about democracy.

Very Stable Genius

When my buddy's ask why I bailed on the GOP... it's sh** like that. We've been exposed as frauds who only care about the Constitution when it is politically expedient.

They treat it the same way they treat The Bible.

Mitch McConnel just announced that he is going to refuse to seat Doug Jones for a month, until after Republicans vote again on the tax plan.

McConnell has shown he doesn't give a **** about the Constitution.  He sat on Merrick Garland's nomination for a year just to give Obama the middle finger for....reasons?

McConnell was fully within his constitutional prerogatives to deny Garland or any Obama nominee a vote.  The president cannot force the Senate to act any more than the Senate can force the president to act.  (Obama likewise would have been within his prerogatives not to nominate anyone.)

He was not within his Constitutional rights to deny a vote, however.

?

DarkandStormy[/member] ... I am happy Doug Jones, I am. I am truly proud of Alabama. But any other Republican candidate that didn't molest kids would won by 20,000 votes. The Cruz analogy doesn't hold up for that reason

DarkandStormy[/member] ... I am happy Doug Jones, I am. I am truly proud of Alabama. But any other Republican candidate that didn't molest kids would won by 20,000 votes. The Cruz analogy doesn't hold up for that reason

And 20,000 votes would have been the smallest margin of victory by a Republican Senate candidate in 25 years in Alabama.

Ted Cruz has a worse favorability rating than Moore, in a less-red state.  That seat is flippable if a Democratic wave happens in 2018.

Very Stable Genius

And 20,000 votes would have been the smallest margin of victory by a Republican Senate candidate in 25 years in Alabama.

Ted Cruz has a worse favorability rating than Moore, in a less-red state.  That seat is flippable if a Democratic wave happens in 2018.

You might be right. Fingers crossed, Southern Dems and Midwestern GOP tend to be my favorite types of Senators.

While I share your concern, I don’t think Republicans have said that they’re going to delay seating Doug Jones so that they can vote on the tax bill.  I think they’re just planning to call a vote on the tax bill before he is even eligible to be seated.  I don’t think we’re seeing anything nefarious here, yet. You can hold onto your pitchfork, but wait to march on Washington over this issue.

While I would like to see all 100 Senators present and accounted for for all votes, that's not a requirement.

My understanding is that the vote in Alabama won't be certified until after the absentee and provisional ballots are counted, and Alabama law says that a certain amount of time has to pass after election day before the vote is certified to allow for the counting to be completed.  In the current circumstances, the earliest the vote can be certified is December 26.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/too_soon_to_know_whether_recou.html

Congress plans to vote on the tax bill next week.  But Doug Jones won't be eligible to be seated in the Senate until the state of Alabama certifies the election results (on or after December 26).  I would prefer that they delay the vote, but so far we don't know that they are going to delay seating Doug Jones after he is eligible to push more votes through the Senate.

I haven't heard of any plans to refuse to seat him for a month after the certification.

While I share your concern, I don’t think Republicans have said that they’re going to delay seating Doug Jones so that they can vote on the tax bill.  I think they’re just planning to call a vote on the tax bill before he is even eligible to be seated.  I don’t think we’re seeing anything nefarious here, yet. You can hold onto your pitchfork, but wait to march on Washington over this issue.

In January 2010, Democrats were one final roll call vote away from enacting health care reform when Republicans unexpectedly won a special Senate election in Massachusetts. McConnell, who was then the Senate Minority Leader, took great umbrage at the idea that Democrats would let a lame-duck interim senator cast the deciding vote on historic legislation. Once the results of the special election were in, though, Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) headed off the confrontation by pledging not to vote for any health care legislation until Sen. Scott Brown (R-MA) had been sworn in.

Very Stable Genius

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/13/16770972/doug-jones-senate-2018-elections

There is now a viable path for a Democrat majority in the Senate.

The keys hinge on holding every seat up for re-election - no easy task as that includes five incumbents in states Trump won in 2016 handily and five more in swing states (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida).  That's 10 incumbents in states that Trump won just 13 months ago.

The two most obvious targets are Jeff Flake's seat in Arizona (retiring) and Dean Heller in Nevada (the only Republican up for re-election in a state Clinton won in 2016).  Hold the line and flip those two = 51-49 Democrat majority.

Of course, it's possible (even likely) the Democrats will lose a seat or two they currently hold in one of those Trump state.  Next, they'd look to Corker (also retiring) in Tennessee and Ted Cruz in Texas - Trump won by just 9 points in 2016 in what was an under-the-radar closer than expected margin.

There are just four other Republican seats up in 2018 - all in deeply red states (but so was Alabama).  Those likely stay red, but you never know.

Very Stable Genius

When my buddy's ask why I bailed on the GOP... it's sh** like that. We've been exposed as frauds who only care about the Constitution when it is politically expedient.

This has always been the way of the GOP.  Just like in 2009 when they were railing on Obama in front of TV cameras for the stimulus package, then cranking out funding requests letters for swamp bridges, ethanol studies and experimental fighter planes that the Pentagon didn't want.

All Democrats need to campaign on a Second Voting Rights Act: automatic voter registration, restoring voting rights for ex-felons, repeal of voter ID laws, non-partisan redistricting commissions, and making Election Day a national holiday.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

It wont make any difference until we get a constitutional amendment that overturns Citizens United: https://movetoamend.org/

Poll: Most voters now want Democrats to control Congress https://t.co/1mYYa2kDL0

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/democrat-wins-virginia-house-seat-by-vote-ending-gop-s/article_bbb3bb17-b131-5643-afd0-a1a7aadad1e2.html

After a recount, Democrat Shelly Simonds won Virginia's 94th House of Delegates district by, get this, a single vote.  11,608 to 11,607.

This leaves Virginia's House of Delegates as a 50-50 tie between Republicans and Democrats, the first time in EIGHTEEN YEARS Republicans do not hold a majority in that state.

Very Stable Genius

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/17/politics/doug-jones-sotu-cnntv/index.html

Doug Jones...what are you doing? 

Doug Jones: Trump shouldn't resign over sexual misconduct allegations

http://www.insidenova.com/news/politics/prince_william/medicaid-comments-muddy-northam-s-election-pledge/article_5f8cec54-e4f0-11e7-b91b-3b134689a855.html

Ralph Northam...what are you doing?

Northam told the Washington Post that he was wary of the costs associated with expanding the healthcare program under the Affordable Care Act, stressing that he wanted to explore ways to “provide better service and at the same time cut costs” by tinkering with the program’s eligibility requirements. He also suggested that he wants Medicaid recipients — which generally include low-income people, but also children and pregnant women — to get more training and enter the workforce rather than depend on the program for health insurance.

Gov.-elect Ralph Northam relentlessly promised to expand Medicaid in Virginia over roughly a year of campaigning, and many Prince William Democrats followed his lead — but is the man at the top of the ticket having second thoughts?

This isn't hard...if you run on liberal or progressive values, you should live up to that.  Democrat voters will be PO'd at you if you start "triangulating" your positions like Clinton.  Run as yourself, whatever that may be, campaign on what's important, but then actually LIVE UP TO THOSE CAMPAIGN PROMISES.

Very Stable Genius

Trying to keep a Democratic hold on an Alabama Senate seat. Brilliant politicking.

He hasn't even been seated.

If you're going to take a stand that sexual assault is wrong, we should listen to women, etc. etc.  you shouldn't come out and basically say that these women's stories don't matter.  Or "leave it up to voters."  Be better than that.

Very Stable Genius

^ I think he is trying to play the game.  Come across as a reasonable moderate to the voters of Alabama and maybe have a chance to hold the seat.  It's a good strategy because I would prefer the seat to remain in the hands of a moderate democrat than any southern Republican.

Trying to keep a Democratic hold on an Alabama Senate seat. Brilliant politicking.

He hasn't even been seated.

If you're going to take a stand that sexual assault is wrong, we should listen to women, etc. etc.  you shouldn't come out and basically say that these women's stories don't matter.  Or "leave it up to voters."  Be better than that.

Here... what good is a seat if you cant achieve your legislative agenda... heed Mr. Lincoln's words.

In fairness to President Lincoln, for issues that don't rise to the level of national survival and civil war, or to Big Issues like slavery, holding the seat without being able to achieve your legislative agenda is still worth more than half a loaf if it stops your opponents from being able to enact their own legislative agenda.  Even if Doug Jones becomes an even more conservative Democrat than Joe Manchin, think of the judicial confirmation hearing math.  I guarantee you that math is not lost on McConnell or the Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

My point with the Lincoln post was this...

Democrats get soooo tied up with the symbolism of things - i.e. bathroom rights, trigger warnings, and everything else the right makes fun of them for... that they forget that it is legislation that makes the impact on people's lives.

Calling for Trump's resignation is great, sure. But you - and Doug Jones - know very well that isn't happening. So, why would he alienate the support and political capital he is going to rely on in one of the darkest red states in the union over something that will be a non-issue?

I'm a conservative, but I am proud that Doug Jones represents the American people in the Senate. His record of public service is impeccable. He will make an impact for the better in the United States, but that won't happen if he has no chance of retaining the mechanism with which he can make that change.

TBF the conservatives have their trigger warnings, PC language and snowflakey behavior.  And bathroom rights are seriously important even if people get made fun of for it.

TBF the conservatives have their trigger warnings, PC language and snowflakey behavior.  And bathroom rights are seriously important even if people get made fun of for it.

They absolutely do. Whataboutism aside, my point was geared towards how Dems need to recognize that it's legislation, not holier than thou rhetoric that makes an impact on lives.

If the midterm election were today, it would be a bloodbath for Republicans.  A lot can happen in a year.  We'll have to wait and see.

True, yes.  But the GOP has made it a point to pass some of the most unpopular pieces of legislation in modern history - their efforts to repeal ACA (a program with a 57% approval rating), passing of the tax bill (which has a sub-30% approval rating), failing the DREAMers, letting CHIP fall by the wayside...they haven't yet put themselves in a position to point to some positives for their constituents.

Very Stable Genius

^ let's see if they're stupid enough to after Medicare in the election year.  If so, look for a huge swing to Dems in the midterms.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/21/mitch-mcconnell-does-not-expect-to-take-up-entitlement-reform-next-year.html

McConnell: "We're not doing entitlement reform in 2018."

Paul Ryan: "We want to do entitlement reform in 2018."

Very Stable Genius

Republicans may be crazy, but they aren't stupid.  There is no way they'll tackle entitlement reform in 2018.  Unless Trump forces them to by using his bully twitter, but Trump promised during the campaign not to touch SS and Medicare so I don't see him pushing Congress on reform in the short term.  Of course, he also promised to get rid of the carried interest loophole and we all saw how that worked out.

Republicans may be crazy, but they aren't stupid.  There is no way they'll tackle entitlement reform in 2018.  Unless Trump forces them to by using his bully twitter, but Trump promised during the campaign not to touch SS and Medicare so I don't see him pushing Congress on reform in the short term.  Of course, he also promised to get rid of the carried interest loophole and we all saw how that worked out.

Might not have a choice when the deficit hawks need to be re-elected too..

^What deficit hawks?

They'll come out of hibernation when it is in opposition of something democrats largely support.

They were exposed as frauds last month, but they'll be back. I promise.

^What deficit hawks?

They'll come out of hibernation when it is in opposition of something democrats largely support.

They were exposed as frauds last month, but they'll be back. I promise.

Oh you're going to see them all en masse now. I heard Tom Cole from OK already start to talk up about how the only way to pay for these cuts is through entitlement reform. Suddenly the R's are going to get all deficit concerned once again with an eye on eliminating the critical benefit that anyone who isn't a millionaire will be relying on. It's how you keep the poors in their place.

There aren't any deficit hawks.  It's just a different way to package the same idea of screwing the poor.  Real deficit hawks would vote against this tax bill period.

We're finally lifting the shroud of mystery that hides the mastermind who's behind SOROS STUFF. What stuff? Watch and find out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=753337701520301&id=451491168371624

Gallup poll: Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton remain the most admired man and woman in the United States — a 10-year trend for Obama and 16 years running for Clinton https://t.co/G0jWhvaIvp

Gallup poll: Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton remain the most admired man and woman in the United States — a 10-year trend for Obama and 16 years running for Clinton https://t.co/G0jWhvaIvp

I just have a very hard time believing the latter of those two.

She earned the most votes ever for President (more than Donald) of any woman in U.S. history.  She won the popular vote by ~3 million.

She did this against the backdrop of Russian interference and possible collusion by her opponent with a foreign adversary.

Her "time" might be up but she's still popular.  I don't think her personality fits well with 2018 or 2020, but she did earn the most votes for President just 13 months ago.

Very Stable Genius

She earned the most votes ever for President (more than Donald) of any woman in U.S. history.  She won the popular vote by ~3 million.

She did this against the backdrop of Russian interference and possible collusion by her opponent with a foreign adversary.

Her "time" might be up but she's still popular.  I don't think her personality fits well with 2018 or 2020, but she did earn the most votes for President just 13 months ago.

Umm remember when it was proven that the Russians used facebook ads to smear Trump during his campaign and not the other way around, because that ACTUALLY happened.  She is insanely popular yes, but do we really want California telling us how to run our country?  Also let's not forget that DWS and the democratic party colluded against Bernie Sanders, who in my opinion would've actually beat Trump if he was given the chance.

Umm remember when it was proven that the Russians used facebook ads to smear Trump during his campaign and not the other way around, because that ACTUALLY happened.  She is insanely popular yes, but do we really want California telling us how to run our country?  Also let's not forget that DWS and the democratic party colluded against Bernie Sanders, who in my opinion would've actually beat Trump if he was given the chance.

Time to lay off the heavy stuff, man.

Very Stable Genius

Umm remember when it was proven that the Russians used facebook ads to smear Trump during his campaign and not the other way around, because that ACTUALLY happened.  She is insanely popular yes, but do we really want California telling us how to run our country? 

Now we have Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and West Virginia running the country and all is right.

Can someone remind me, how many votes did Trump claim were cast fraudulently? Was it 3 million? His insecurities must've come up with that number... that, or complete coincidence.

By the way... Can anyone let me know how that voter fraud investigation went?

^ He started out with a 3 million number and then changed it to 5 million because HRC beat him by almost 3 million votes.  On a side note, the only known voter fraud arrests were for Trump voters. 

Better than having Alabama telling us how to run our country.  They came within a percent and a half of putting a pedo into the Senate.  At any rate, I want the American people all to have an equal say in running our country.  I don't really care what state they are from.