Guest KJP

Cleveland: Superior Arts District

1 hour ago, jeremyck01 said:

Maybe I should have been more specific and said “ugly brown granite countertops” lol.

I used quartz as an example, but I also said “or other material”. Lots of good options.  None of my architect or interior designer acquaintances  have used marble for a while now and for practical as well as aesthetic reasons.  And it is simple to get quartz or other materials that don’t stain and are bacteria resistant. 

Overall, I’m very glad for the rehab and would love Superior to become more residential. Add in the future center bike lanes (that’s on Superior, right?) and that could be a great place to live. 

And to be clear, quartz is by its (man-made) nature non-porous and therefore much more resistant to both bacteria and staining than marble and granite, and needs no sealing. 

I would agree with you @jeremyck01, I’ve been about as deep in the new construction condo market in a large east coast city as you can get for the past year and you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting quartz in upscale projects. Sure, granite and marble are indeed more prestigious, but at 3x the price per square foot and up, many are happy with quartz and will spend the savings elsewhere (top of the line appliances, etc).

And this is an apartment project, not for-sale condos. Based on the finishes I’ve seen in even some of the latest apartment projects in downtown Cleveland, the fact that George, etc, is going with quartz here, in a rental project, this is going to be towards the top end of the market. And that’s great to see in Superior. 

Edited by brtshrcegr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brtshrcegr said:

And this is an apartment project, not for-sale condos. Based on the finishes I’ve seen in even some of the latest apartment projects in downtown Cleveland, the fact that George, etc, is going with quartz here, in a rental project, this is going to be towards the top end of the market. And that’s great to see in Superior. 

I agree with you except for one point: George is using granite countertops which inspired my anti-granite rant, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

The Cross Country mortgage operation on Miller Road is busting at the seams.  They already park cars on the VA property because they can't fit on their own.  I honestly don't think they can wait the 2+ years it will take to get new construction ready for them.  And the rent will be double what they currently pay in that low rise flex building.  And mortgage businesses aren't typically seen as top credit tenants for an office building - they tend to be boom/bust.

Except that Cross Country (or at least a partnership involving their CEO) is likely to be the one owning and building their new HQ exclusively for Cross Country. The amount of property they've already acquired is pretty extensive.

Do you @gottaplan or anyone else know roughly how many employees they have now?

• Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

56 minutes ago, KJP said:

Except that Cross Country (or at least a partnership involving their CEO) is likely to be the one owning and building their new HQ exclusively for Cross Country. The amount of property they've already acquired is pretty extensive.

No idea how many employees they have now unfortunately but I hear they are growing all the time.  As for the amount of property acquired, I think the owner of the business has made a lot of money and is doing investments all over.  He is a partner in restaurants and other ventures that I know of so land ownership is not necessarily for the mortgage HQ...  just my 2cents

1 hour ago, KJP said:

During an interview, Leonhardt said the cluster of historic buildings could become a new corporate headquarters for CrossCountry Mortgage, a nationwide residential lender with about 450 employees in Brecksville and hopes of doubling that headcount within five years.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/01/investors-buy-6-acre-block-at-downtown-clevelands-eastern-edge-for-development-possible-corporate-hq.html

Edited by Clefan98
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

No idea how many employees they have now unfortunately but I hear they are growing all the time.  As for the amount of property acquired, I think the owner of the business has made a lot of money and is doing investments all over.  He is a partner in restaurants and other ventures that I know of so land ownership is not necessarily for the mortgage HQ...  just my 2cents

They will most likely end up downtown.

• Like 3

In a lunch meeting yesterday in that neighborhood, I was told that it's not a matter of if, but when Cross Country relocates their HQ to the neighborhood.  This is from a legitimate source too.  Anybody have any other new information regarding this?

Edited by RE Developer In Training
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10/08/19 it looks like a commercial building permit was filed for the Grossman Paper Box Co. at 1729 Superior Ave. They'll probably start gutting the building soon in preparation to build out the interior for 49 (unless the number was changed) apartments.

Edited by tykaps
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, tykaps said:

10/08/19 it looks like a commercial building permit was filed for the Grossman Paper Box Co. at 1729 Superior Ave. They'll probably start gutting the building soon in preparation to build out the interior for 49 (unless the number was changed) apartments.

I thought that was already a converted apartment building?

2130 Superior has been gutted and is under construction currently.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, marty15 said:

I thought that was already a converted apartment building?

I don't believe so? It went before design-review in April, but I don't think any actual work was started as far as I'm aware.

1801+Superior-Oct2019s.jpg

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2019

900-1800 office jobs coming to Superior Arts District downtown

Over the next couple of years, approximately 900 office jobs are due to arrive in the Superior Arts District. That number could double by the mid-2020s as two fast-growing companies are relocating their headquarters to this redeveloping area of Superior Avenue on the eastern edge of downtown Cleveland.

The new jobs would add to several hundred office workers already there

On Nov. 8, and barring any last-minute glitch, MinuteMen Staffing Services Inc. is due to take title to the former Plain Dealer Plaza office building, 1801 Superior Ave. Terms of the transaction have yet to be disclosed.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/11/900-1800-office-jobs-coming-to-superior.html

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, KJP said:

1801+Superior-Oct2019s.jpg

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2019

900-1800 office jobs coming to Superior Arts District downtown

Over the next couple of years, approximately 900 office jobs are due to arrive in the Superior Arts District. That number could double by the mid-2020s as two fast-growing companies are relocating their headquarters to this redeveloping area of Superior Avenue on the eastern edge of downtown Cleveland.

The new jobs would add to several hundred office workers already there

On Nov. 8, and barring any last-minute glitch, MinuteMen Staffing Services Inc. is due to take title to the former Plain Dealer Plaza office building, 1801 Superior Ave. Terms of the transaction have yet to be disclosed.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/11/900-1800-office-jobs-coming-to-superior.html

Three great scoops in ONE DAY!

ANOTHER GREAT JOB KEN!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Interesting, I wish the PD or new owner would clear the land, and build mid to high rise residential development.

I love the PD building. Think its a beauty. There’s plenty of vacant land in the neighborhood to build upwards. 

• Like 3

They have an art craft show on December 7th and 8th, with 70+ vendors. I've heard prior open studio events (wasn't there one in August) have pulled in large crowds.

That's all I got.

12 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Interesting, I wish the PD or new owner would clear the land, and build mid to high rise residential development.

I'd rather demolish the Enterprise building across the street.

• Like 2

Any updates ... Did MinuteMen Staffing Services take title to the former Plain Dealer Plaza office building at 1801 Superior Ave?

11 minutes ago, sky said:

Any updates ... Did MinuteMen Staffing Services take title to the former Plain Dealer Plaza office building at 1801 Superior Ave?

Not yet. I'm wondering if DiGeronimo approached them about locating to Valor Acres? The DiGeronimo and Lucarelli families have some shared history.....

Then again, Minute Man Staffing's temps/workers are nearly all transit-dependent, so the southern part of Brecksville probably wouldn't work for MM.

5 hours ago, KJP said:

Not yet. I'm wondering if DiGeronimo approached them about locating to Valor Acres? The DiGeronimo and Lucarelli families have some shared history.....

Then again, Minute Man Staffing's temps/workers are nearly all transit-dependent, so the southern part of Brecksville probably wouldn't work for MM.

Suburbs trying to poach businesses from the city like it's the 70s. NEO is so backwards.

• Confused 1
  • Dislike 3

Yeah, in other metro areas, the suburbs aren't trying to poach businesses from the center city or each other. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, X said:

Yeah, in other metro areas, the suburbs aren't trying to poach businesses from the center city or each other. 🙄

Well, to be fair, it's not nearly as big of a problem in many cities that have fewer suburbs (where the city has expanded and is surrounded by unincorporated land rather than 50-some municipalities in the core county, let alone all the ones in collar counties.)

• Like 3

Superior-East+20s-Sept2018.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2020

Up to 1,000 HQ jobs may come to downtown Cleveland

More than 650 headquarters jobs could be on track to move to downtown Cleveland with hundreds more possible resulting from future growth. But in this instance, it's not from the paint/coatings firm that's known for covering the Earth. Instead, this news is about another fast-growing Greater Cleveland business that has outgrown its existing HQ.

According to two sources who spoke off the record, Brecksville-based CrossCountry Mortgage Inc. is taking some of the first steps necessary to renovate a handful of historic buildings along Superior Avenue between East 21st and 22nd streets on the east side of downtown.

Those properties, previously owned by the Chilcote Co., were bought Dec. 28, 2018 for $849,500 by an investment team, incorporated as CC Superior Holding, LLC and led by CrossCountry CEO Ron Leonhardt and Kohrman Jackson Krantz LLP's Managing Partner Jon Pinney.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/up-to-1000-hq-jobs-coming-to-downtown.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

So you say they are taking the steps to renovate, but your title states hundreds of jobs are coming to downtown. From the article it sounded like they are still weighing the options. So did your sources off the record essentially indicate they are indeed moving their HQ to the downtown location near E18?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:24 PM, AsDustinFoxWouldSay said:

So you say they are taking the steps to renovate, but your title states hundreds of jobs are coming to downtown. From the article it sounded like they are still weighing the options. So did your sources off the record essentially indicate they are indeed moving their HQ to the downtown location near E18?

See below

Edited by KJP
Article was updated
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

On 1/31/2020 at 4:24 PM, KJP said:

Superior-East+20s-Sept2018.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31, 2020

Up to 1,000 HQ jobs coming to downtown Cleveland

More than 650 headquarters jobs are on track to move to downtown Cleveland with hundreds more possible resulting from future growth. But in this instance, it's not from the paint/coatings firm that's known for covering the Earth. Instead, this news is about another fast-growing Greater Cleveland business that has outgrown its existing HQ.

According to two sources who spoke off the record, Brecksville-based CrossCountry Mortgage Inc. is taking some of the first steps necessary to renovate a handful of historic buildings along Superior Avenue between East 21st and 22nd streets on the east side of downtown.

Those properties, previously owned by the Chilcote Co., were bought Dec. 28, 2018 for $849,500 by an investment team, incorporated as CC Superior Holding, LLC and led by CrossCountry CEO Ron Leonhardt and Kohrman Jackson Krantz LLP's Managing Partner Jon Pinney.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/01/up-to-1000-hq-jobs-coming-to-downtown.html

First VA moves it's operations from Brecksville to Cleveland and now they may lose at least 650 corporate jobs and a headquarters to Cleveland? It's safe to say if the headquarters moves that Brecksville officially HATES CLEVELAND 😂😂😂.

• Like 5

Got more information this morning and updated the article above accordingly. It sounds like the project makes economic sense if the Superior-facing buildings are renovated with offices (for CrossCountry? -- still not certain) with a mix of renovation and new construction for residential. Surprisingly, especially considering what Bobby George is doing across the street, that BEK doesn't think the buildings are large enough to justify residential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, MyPhoneDead said:

First VA moves it's operations from Brecksville to Cleveland and now they may lose at least 650 corporate jobs and a headquarters to Cleveland? It's safe to say if the headquarters moves that Brecksville officially HATES CLEVELAND 😂😂😂.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Oh well!

Brecksville, Independence, Solon, Middleburg Heights, Beachwood, Mayfield Heights, Parma, etc., etc., etc., have been taking from the City of Cleveland for over a century (water, population, electricity, corporations, jobs, financial resources, religious institutions, taxes, etc.), providing little to nothing in return. They've crippled the City, almost draining it dry.

It's time to turn the tables.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 16
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, freethink said:

I could use a announcement today from Brecksville based Cross Country  Mortgage to make me feel better about the SW r&d.

It's at least a few weeks away, if not months.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KJP said:

It's at least a few weeks away, if not months.

After the R&D to Valor, you just know DiGeronimo/Hruby is full court press going after CC. This’ll probably end up residential. Hruby will give em free land.

36 minutes ago, marty15 said:

After the R&D to Valor, you just know DiGeronimo/Hruby is full court press going after CC. This’ll probably end up residential. Hruby will give em free land.

Feeling down? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marty15 said:

I was thinking the same. But @KJP seems to indicate that CC values what a city can offer them, so that's why they are looking to make that move. On the other hand I know that developers are "soulless" and will go to any extreme to make something happen.

13 minutes ago, freethink said:

I was thinking the same. But @KJP seems to indicate that CC values what a city can offer them, so that's why they are looking to make that move. On the other hand I know that developers are "soulless" and will go to any extreme to make something happen.

They’re playing with house money with all that free land. And I would imagine as motivated as ever right now. 

• Like 1