Guest CornerCurve

Suburban Cleveland: Development and News

^ Most interesting to me is that their suit against the village is based on the 5 acre minimum lot size being illegal. If they win based on that, it has the potential to lead to alot of large exurban properties being redeveloped into tract homes in the future, instead of putting a roadblock on the sprawl.

^ Most interesting to me is that their suit against the village is based on the 5 acre minimum lot size being illegal. If they win based on that, it has the potential to lead to alot of large exurban properties being redeveloped into tract homes in the future, instead of putting a roadblock on the sprawl.

A lot of suburbs have smaller but similar requirements.

She contends that the village's stand constitutes a taking of her property rights, and that the 5-acre acre minimum is unconstitutional because it serves no public purpose.

Minimum lot sizes have long been considered to be perfectly legal and constitutional by courts. The public purpose has to do with neighborhood character, traffic, etc. So throw the second part of her argument out the window.

The first part of her argument is more plausible but still a stretch. It says in the article she's received offers based on the value of the land where the buyer would have torn the house down. She doesn't have the right to be protected from selling her property at a loss.

If the house was protected by a historic landmark designation, where it was illegal to tear it down, but there were no offers at all, then she might have a case based on "no economically viable use" of the property. But it doesn't seem to be protected at least from the article.

https://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/index.ssf/2018/07/richmond_heights_62.html#incart_river_index

Very interesting news.  An out-of-state developer is talking about sinking close to $70M into mixed use development at Richmond Town Square, a newly dead mall about 2 miles north of Beachwood Place and Legacy Village.  (Quick background:  RTS lost its three department store anchors in Macy's, Sears, and JC Penney's in 2015, winter 2017, and spring 2017, respectively.  A 20-screen movie theater and Plant Fitness remain as junior anchors along with a struggling food court and some local stores).

The proposal here is to demolish the Sears building on the northwest portion of the property and replace it with a 4-story class A apartment building, a 4-story hotel (!), and a 2-story, 10K sf retail building.  The developer already purchased the empty Macy's building last year for $2M is investing an additional $8M to convert it into a Cube Smart self-storage facility (ugh).

All in all, a pretty ambitious plan, and its mixed-use potential would be great for the city of Richmond Heights.  The hotel seems like a long shot, as the mall lacks freeway access and there are no particular entities nearby that attract tourists.  The Cuyahoga County airport is a mile north and a straight shot away, so maybe that's what they're hoping for.  The airport is currently undergoing a runway expansion.

Wow. Richmond Mall was my first mall hangout when I was a little guy, and could ride my bike from my Highland Heights home until we moved out to exurbia when I was 11 in 1978. Back then I used to take things even more literally than I do now (!) so when I rode my bike there the first time, I saw the "No Peddling" sign, turned around and went home.

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

^"Council members Dale Miller and Nan Baker urged caution in offering forgivable loans, but agreed that giving a loan to entice Covia to Independence would be a desirable move for Cuyahoga County.

Ted Carter, chief economic development and business officer, said this would be the third forgivable loan awarded under the county's "large-scale special attraction" program. A 2017 loan brought software company 7signal to Independence, and a 2016 loan brought the contract sterilization firm Sterigenics to Broadview Heights."

So 3 out of 3 forgivable loans for the suburbs.....

It's crazy to think, but I've been told the Avon campus will someday be as large or larger than main campus.  So I'm sure there will be several more bed towers going up in the future.

You’ve been misinformed, then. The master plans show no indication of this occurring. Main campus is slated to continue growing, while the community hospitals will only grow depending on population.

^^One thing you'll learn as you get more into this stuff is that silly rumors or butchered descriptions of real projects (like the telephone game) often get confidently passed off as real information. Occasionally you'll be surprised by something that turns out to be real, but a vast majority of the time you can just nod quietly and roll your eyes when you turn away.

It's crazy to think, but I've been told the Avon campus will someday be as large or larger than main campus.  So I'm sure there will be several more bed towers going up in the future.

LOL.

Didn't Somera Road said a year or two ago that it would be investing in downtown Cleveland office buildings because it said that's where the up-and-coming young workforce wants to be? It seems they aren't all-in on that belief.....

Construction of new office-retail development, Royalton Collection, scheduled to begin soon on Ohio 82 in Strongsville

https://www.cleveland.com/strongsville/index.ssf/2018/08/construction_of_new_office-ret.html

EDIT: This is what Somera Road said in 2016 in an article by mjarboe[/member]. Apparently the Millennials aren't as fickle as Somera Road....

"The millennial generation is what a lot of large American corporations are focused on, managing the attrition of that very fickle employment base," Ross said, explaining his view of the market. "The suburban office concept, which you see a lot of in the Midwest and you see a lot of in Cleveland, specifically ... that's going by the wayside. That's not going to be the pull or the attraction for that highly sought-after employee."

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2016/12/45_erieview_office_tower_in_do.html

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

45 Erieview is totally empty.  not a single tenant in the space.  Going to be a challenge as there is only a handful of spots under the building, maybe 30?  Only other parking is half a block down at corner of Lakeside & 12th...

Anyone have an update on how the office leasing is going at Pinecrest?  I heard a while ago that they were close to 40% on the first building but the actual tenant list was not adding up to that amount....

45 Erieview is totally empty.  not a single tenant in the space.  Going to be a challenge as there is only a handful of spots under the building, maybe 30?  Only other parking is half a block down at corner of Lakeside & 12th...

Is there any connection from 45 Erieview and the underground parking at the Galleria?

Is there any connection from 45 Erieview and the underground parking at the Galleria?

No unfortunately - I suppose it COULD be done but I haven't seen anything in concept - the Galleria parking is controlled now by Kassouf group with the Tower at Erieview I believe...  not sure they would have any motivation to help out a competing building either, even though it makes a lot of sense

More suburban stuff (near where I used to live)....

Meijer halts plans for store on Geauga Lake site

https://articles.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/08/meijer_halts_plans_for_bainbri.amp

I didn't realize Meijer was moving into the area?  Any competitor of Giant Eagle is a friend of mine!

They're opening 4 of them...none of which are in Cuyahoga County.

GREAT NEWS for Greater Cleveland! About 1,000 new jobs for the region in the coming years. Seems to be a lot of decent job news lately in the Cleveland area....

September 18, 2018 10:59 AM 5 HOURS AGO

Swagelok to stay in Solon

STAN BULLARD

Swagelok Co. announced Tuesday, Sept. 18, that it plans a $30 million to $50 million expansion at its current headquarters at 29500 Solon Road, pending final approvals of government incentives for the plan.

The privately held global developer and manufacturer of fluid system solutions said its board of directors approved Solon as the site of the new global headquarters and innovation center after a three-month competitive site search.

Swagelok said it plans to construct a campus with 120,000 square feet of new space that will house a business operations center for 300 to 350 associates, a state-of-the-art innovation center and customer welcome center. The new campus will be at the same site its headquarters has resided at since 1965.

...Glenn Richardson, JobsOhio managing director for advanced manufacturing, said in the release that Swagelok's commitment to innovation and advance manufacturing is likely to bring an estimated 1,000 jobs "over the next several years."

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/manufacturing/swagelok-stay-solon

Keep an eye on this Olmsted Falls property. The site plan is only conceptual and has no motivated owner yet, but things could change soon....

7820 Mapleway Dr

Cleveland, OH 44138 · 54.65 AC · Land For Sale

$2,950,000

https://www.loopnet.com/for-sale/5/?sk=31528a8b80118396bc73acb9d7b253bb&bb=gxpr8ir81Isht84sd

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

A pretty radical design for suburban Independence -- building close to the road!

Redwood Living plans to build headquarters in Independence

https://articles.cleveland.com/independence/index.ssf/2018/11/redwood_living_plans_to_build.amp

redwoodjpg-6dfd546eedfa15e2.jpg

Berea senior housing project gets construction extension

The planned unit development, or PUD, will be geared to the active age 55 and older population. As many as 100 units will be located inside the privately owned, three-story building, which will be situated on more than 5 acres of land between Riveredge Parkway and Sheldon Road. The site plans also include a nature trail.

https://www.cleveland.com/berea/index.ssf/2018/11/berea_senior_housing_project_g.html

• Like 1

I recall discussion of them looking downtown for the HQ expansion. Shame that didn't pan out, but good for the region none the less. It's sure nice seeing all these local companies announcing four digit job expansions lately.

image.png.abe0d73beed809c51510367bf5935298.png

University Hospitals planning $200-million expansion of Ahuja Medical Center

Updated 11:27 AM; Today 10:52 AM

By Ginger Christ, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – University Hospitals today announced plans for a $200-million expansion of its Ahuja Medical Center.

The expansion will add a second, five-floor hospital tower and a 64,000-square-foot, two-floor sports medicine complex to the southwest side of the existing buildings, according to a news release. Construction is expected to begin in the fall and the project is slated to be finished in 2022.

MORE:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2019/03/university-hospitals-planning-200-million-expansion-of-ahuja-medical-center.html

Does anyone know what the tower crane set up just behind Cooper's Hawk in Orange is building? This site is south of the Pinecrest Development.

Westlake's gain is Lakewood's loss. State subsidies and the lack of a Class A office building in Lakewood, until One Lakewood Place is built, is the culprit.

Westlake to gain new office building

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/westlake-gain-new-office-building