Sign in to follow this  
Guest KJP

North Randall: Development and News

Amazon et al aren't messing around. They're already starting to prep the site....

From MJ's twitter account...

Swung by the former Randall Park Mall/future @amazon fulfillment center site yesterday. Buildings down. Site prep/foundation work under way. https://t.co/O1Kyk3Npp1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

And....

.@CuyahogaCouncil set to sign off today on $$ for road work near future @amazon fulfillment center in North Randall: https://t.co/vaifNemYFi

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Demolishing a 10-story building (vacant for about 20 years) for a bunch of fast-food joints. How North Randall has fallen....

October 09, 2017 2:28 pm      UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

North Randall hotel sold for Amazon-linked redevelopment

By STAN BULLARD

A 10-story hotel built by mall developer DeBartolo Corp. in North Randall in 1973 on a site next to the former Randall Park Mall has been acquired by an affiliate of Industrial Commerce Properties Corp. of Solon and Industrial Realty Group of California as part of the massive Amazon warehouse project.

Through S.L. North Randall Site One LLC, developers Chris Semarjian and Stuart Lichter, respectively, closed on the purchase of the property at 4600 Northfield Road from the Village of North Randall on Friday, Oct. 6, according to Cuyahoga County land records available online Monday morning, Oct. 9.

Semarjian said in a phone interview the pair plan to raze the hotel and sell sites on the five-acre parcel to food-related and other retailers that might be attracted by the $177 million fulfillment center that the Seattle-based e-commerce firm is having built next door.

The center is expected to employ 2,000 people when it opens, perhaps as early as the second half of next year.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171009/NEWS/171009893/north-randall-hotel-sold-for-amazon-linked-redevelopment

E-commerce giant @amazon expects to start accepting applications for jobs at its North Randall fulfillment center Monday. Here's what the massive buildings - robots and all - look like. https://t.co/cWJ0YnBcVY

Here's a preview tour of @amazon's soon-to-open North Randall fulfillment center, with details about other projects percolating on the periphery of the site:

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/erry-2018/08/4a6d12c4917317/amazon-plans-midseptember-open.html

I can see why the mayor of North Randall is so excited.  Adding 2,000 jobs to a village with 1,027 residents (per the 2010 census) is one of the few times the dreaded "gamechanger" cliche is actually appropriate.  (That said, when Randall Park Mall died, I was hoping North Randall would give up the ghost, merge with Warrensville Heights, and set off a chain reaction of suburb consolidations that Cuyahoga County so desperately needs.  Now, they have a raison d'etre (or at least a tax base) once more.  Still, this part of the county can really use the jobs and development Amazon brings, so I guess I can't complain too much).

It will be very interesting to see what kind of spillover development arises nearby in the coming years.  The Sheetz and Chipotle mentioned in the cle.com article are nice, but the re-use of the Sears building by four manufacturing companies is more exciting.  Randall Park Mall and Amazon picked this location for its already-existing transportation attributes, so you'd think other companies would be drawn to the area for that plus the synergy of being so near the behemoth that is an Amazon distribution hub. 

Hopefully, similar developments will happen at Amazon's other facility at the old Euclid Square Mall site.  It opens next year and could really rejuvenate Euclid's most downtrodden neighborhood.

I can see why the mayor of North Randall is so excited.  Adding 2,000 jobs to a village with 1,027 residents (per the 2010 census) is one of the few times the dreaded "gamechanger" cliche is actually appropriate.  (That said, when Randall Park Mall died, I was hoping North Randall would give up the ghost, merge with Warrensville Heights, and set off a chain reaction of suburb consolidations that Cuyahoga County so desperately needs.  Now, they have a raison d'etre (or at least a tax base) once more.  Still, this part of the county can really use the jobs and development Amazon brings, so I guess I can't complain too much).

It will be very interesting to see what kind of spillover development arises nearby in the coming years.  The Sheetz and Chipotle mentioned in the cle.com article are nice, but the re-use of the Sears building by four manufacturing companies is more exciting.  Randall Park Mall and Amazon picked this location for its already-existing transportation attributes, so you'd think other companies would be drawn to the area for that plus the synergy of being so near the behemoth that is an Amazon distribution hub. 

Hopefully, similar developments will happen at Amazon's other facility at the old Euclid Square Mall site.  It opens next year and could really rejuvenate Euclid's most downtrodden neighborhood.

Yea, the jobs that both these facilities will provide for the people in these areas is what's going to cause the biggest change in this area, for the Randall site a large portion of the surrounding municipalities of North Randall, Warrensville Hts and Maple Hts. and into South east Cleveland proper. These jobs will be low skilled, but decent paying and equally important, accessible to those who don't have a car and can't reach other concentrations of low skilled jobs. It is a big step in the right direction to eliminate the disconnect we have in this region that keeps people that need jobs away from the employers that need workers.

Build facilities like this on former brown fields in areas with excellent connectivity on all modes of transportation.

I really hope this (and the spin off development we are starting to see) works at stabilizing this area of the metro. The surrounding cities saw some of the largest declines in housing prices and quality in the crisis, and have only now started to recover. Add the jobs, and there's more demand for the housing -> less abandonment -> prices rise -> more taxes collected -> more services provided -> repeat the cycle. Also, more job opportunities correlates to less crime. While not located in Lee-Miles, this is probably the best opportunity that's come along in a long time for that neighborhood.

Yea, the jobs that both these facilities will provide for the people in these areas is what's going to cause the biggest change in this area, for the Randall site a large portion of the surrounding municipalities of North Randall, Warrensville Hts and Maple Hts. and into South east Cleveland proper. These jobs will be low skilled, but decent paying and equally important, accessible to those who don't have a car and can't reach other concentrations of low skilled jobs. It is a big step in the right direction to eliminate the disconnect we have in this region that keeps people that need jobs away from the employers that need workers.

Build facilities like this on former brown fields in areas with excellent connectivity on all modes of transportation.

Low skilled but very high effort.  We'll see what happens.  From what I've heard it takes a strong work ethic to make it there.  We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Are there enough employees here to justify bringing the rapid down Northfield to there?

I’d love the see the Blue line extended down Northfield. Amazon DC, new development in the area, and perhaps most importantly, extending a bit further to the railroad tracks to connect to a future commuter rail from Solon to downtown (and on to Lorain). It would connect people to jobs both downtown and in Solon. 

• Like 1

How much would more track cost? A couple hundred million dollars per mile? I just can't see the city/state/fed pumping that kind of money into those... economically challenged areas.

• Sad 1

Extension of the Blue Line to Harvard/I-271 was estimated in 2012 at $145 million and extension south on Northfield Road to North Randall was estimated at about $188 million. Of those amounts, $25 million was for extending the Blue Line 1,300 feet to a new intermodal transportation station on the southeast side of the Warrensville/Chagrin intersection.

The Blue Line rail extension failed the Federal Transit Administration's pass-fail test that at that time was based on traffic congestion and a rail investment's ability to remove cars from the road. Today the FTA measures rail transit extensions like this based on economic development potential. On the latter score, the Blue Line extension would have passed had this criteria been in place in 2012. Alas, projects must be measured based on the criteria that wew in force when they were analyzed not on what they are now. However, if after a period of time a project is no longer actively pursued then a can be reconsidered under the new criteria, whatever it may be at that time.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 3

And Amazon isn't the only thing cooking alon Northfield Road. The proposed Northfield Town Center is a large potential project...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KJP said:

Extension of the Blue Line to Harvard/I-271 was estimated in 2012 at $145 million and extension south on Northfield Road to North Randall was estimated at about $160 million. Of those amounts, $25 million was for extending the Blue Line 1,300 feet to a new intermodal transportation station on the southeast side of the Warrensville/Chagrin intersection.

Ken, how far did the proposed North Randall extension go? Just to the current Amazon DC, or all the way to the 480 split (where it could connect to the railroad tracks that go to Solon)?

And do you have the detailed route maps? I sure do like maps. 🙂 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KJP said:

And Amazon isn't the only thing cooking alon Northfield Road. The proposed Northfield Town Center is a large potential project...

Looks like it's paywalled.  Where are they building and for that matter what?   An outdoor version of Randall Park Mall?

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

Looks like it's paywalled.  Where are they building and for that matter what?   An outdoor version of Randall Park Mall?

Their site is screwed up. It won't let me in even after resetting my password twice. I was going to share the info about that project but now I can't. Their loss.

11 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Ken, how far did the proposed North Randall extension go? Just to the current Amazon DC, or all the way to the 480 split (where it could connect to the railroad tracks that go to Solon)?

And do you have the detailed route maps? I sure do like maps. 🙂 

@Boomerang_Brian Here is the RTA's presentation on the Blue Line Alternatives Analysis from 2012:

http://freepdfhosting.com/3b8379ef58.pdf

That report and many others are available in All Aboard Ohio's online library at: http://allaboardohio.org/transportation-planning-library/

Good thing I sent you that link prior to a three-day holiday weekday! See ya Tuesday, Brian. 😉

• Thanks 1