ColDayMan

Columbus: Red Brick District Developments and News

Long-time downtown pawn shop building to be converted to apartments

An old, three-story downtown building could be renovated with new apartments.

Lev Kucherski, who owns Lev's Pawn Shop at 220 E. Main St., said he wants to see the top two floors of the building at the northwest corner of Main and 5th streets renovated with new apartments.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/09/26/long-time-downtown-building-to-be-converted-to.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Inside the dramatic transformation of the historic Mercantile Building downtown

mercantile-309-fourth1*750xx4608-2588-0-632.jpg

When Eli Adahan bought the Mercantile office building Columbus in 2014, he wasn’t just buying into a historic property that could be renovated to make a profit; he was buying into a vision for an emerging area of downtown.

“We just love this area. 4th Street is becoming a go-to place with new restaurants and a dramatic increase in residential in this part of downtown,” he said.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/09/26/first-look-inside-the-dramatic-transformation-of.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

It ain't new!

columbus-neighborhoods-map.jpg

"Red Brick District"... Hmmm... What is this. Lol

Hey, I'm just the messenger!

http://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/red-brick-district

https://redbrickdistrict.wordpress.com/

Blah blah blah!

Not sure if we should trust a blog that had a lifespan of April 2008 to June 2009 :wink:

However, I seem to remember that a property owner (or owners) back then tried using this "Red Brick District" name to see if it would stick.  Looks like it didn't.  But now that UO is using it ... well we'll see.

I've got no problem using it.  It's not within the Discovery District, RiverSouth or any other established downtown district.  And it beats posting these projects in the Random Projects thread!

And speaking of projects, this Lev's apartment project would be great to see happen:

Long-time downtown pawn shop building to be converted to apartments

An old, three-story downtown building could be renovated with new apartments.

Lev Kucherski, who owns Lev's Pawn Shop at 220 E. Main St., said he wants to see the top two floors of the building at the northwest corner of Main and 5th streets renovated with new apartments.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/09/26/long-time-downtown-building-to-be-converted-to.html

It's a nice old building with potential to look better.  Here's a 12/15/2016 photo of Lev's at the northwest corner of Main & Fifth:

37304985406_3665bd76ab_b_d.jpg

Renovation Planned for Zettler Hardware Building Downtown

A plan to renovate the Zettler Hardware building at 101 E. Main St. was approved by the Downtown Commission yesterday.

A small addition to the building will add square footage on the second and third floor, and also accommodate a new rooftop patio for tenant use. The upper floors will be fitted for office use, while the first floor will feature retail space.

More below:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/renovation-planned-for-zettler-hardware-building-downtown-bw1

timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.columbusunderground.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F12%2FZettler-renovation.png&q=90&w=650&zc=1&

^I noticed on facebook that many of the interior woodwork and details were stripped out by Columbus Architectural Salvage. :/

I think this is the right thread for this? No renderings yet, but... The 'red brick district' is really heating up!

Apartment building with ground-floor cafe planned at on E. Main Street Downtown

Another new apartment building is being planned for Downtown Columbus, this one in the emerging nightlife area of E. Main and S. 4th streets.

Plans were submitted to the city for an 8-story building at 195 E. Main St., now the site of a one-story industrial building.

The proposal calls for 9,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space including a cafe, with parking in the rear, topped by seven floors of residences and amenity space. The project would contain 105 residences and an estimated 82 parking spaces.

http://www.dispatch.com/business/20180119/apartment-building-with-ground-floor-cafe-planned-at-on-e-main-street-downtown

I think this is the right thread for this? No renderings yet, but... The 'red brick district' is really heating up!

Apartment building with ground-floor cafe planned at on E. Main Street Downtown

Another new apartment building is being planned for Downtown Columbus, this one in the emerging nightlife area of E. Main and S. 4th streets.

Plans were submitted to the city for an 8-story building at 195 E. Main St., now the site of a one-story industrial building.

The proposal calls for 9,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space including a cafe, with parking in the rear, topped by seven floors of residences and amenity space. The project would contain 105 residences and an estimated 82 parking spaces.

http://www.dispatch.com/business/20180119/apartment-building-with-ground-floor-cafe-planned-at-on-e-main-street-downtown

That's awesome news! I think this portion of downtown has a ton of potential. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see numerous 8-12 story buildings going up in this area over the next few years.

New Eight-Story Building Planned Downtown

Plans to construct a new eight-story mixed-use residential building at 195 East Main Street were uncovered yesterday as the project has officially been submitted for review by the Downtown Commission. If constructed as planned, the building would include an 8,800 square foot ground-floor retail space with a sidewalk cafe-style patio, a second-story amenity space and seven stories containing 105 residences on floors two through eight.

More below:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/new-eight-story-building-planned-downtown-we1

195-east-main.jpg?resize=1024%2C406

Eight-story development proposed on E. Main Street downtown

A proposed eight-story, mixed-use building on E. Main Street would be the latest mid-rise residential development for downtown Columbus.

The building at 195 E. Main St. would feature ground-level retail and a second-floor terrace with the remainder of the building housing 106 multi-family units.

Preliminary plans submitted to the Downtown Commission show a 78,415-square-foot building with about 34 units of 550 square feet, 66 units of 450 square feet and six micro units of 400 square feet.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/01/23/eight-story-development-proposed-on-e-main-street.html

15-story residential-retail tower proposed to go in Downtown Holiday Inn parking lot

Berardi + Partners plans to build a 15-story tower in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Downtown on South 4th Street.

The Downtown Commission will hear a conceptual review of the development, which would be built at 175 E. Town St. at the intersection with Rich Street.

Berardi's application shows that it will be a mixed-use building with about 10,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, five levels of parking and nine stories of residential space about a block south of Columbus Commons.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/02/23/15-story-residential-retail-tower-proposed-to-go.html

I really think this area of downtown is going to take off. It's practically a blank slate with so many surface lots and 1-2 story buildings, many of which are abandoned. I think this area has a really good possibility of turning into a largely residential neighborhood with mostly mid-rise buildings, kind of like an extension of what we have seen along High in the River South District.

At 273 feet this will have a significant impact height wise for that area. Looks good.

Yea, I just read that in the Biz First article. That's taller than the North Bank Condos and only about 15 feet shorter than the Motorists building. Let's hope it gets built at least at the proposed height.

Is it truly a part of the Red Brick district when it's not constructed with red brick?  :)

Ask the non-Italian restaurants in the Italian Village :D!

At 273 feet this will have a significant impact height wise for that area. Looks good.

Yea, I just read that in the Biz First article. That's taller than the North Bank Condos and only about 15 feet shorter than the Motorists building. Let's hope it gets built at least at the proposed height.

The more I think about it, I wonder how can it be that tall? That is over 18 feet per floor, right? For one retail level, 5 parking levels, and the rest residential? It just does not add up...but I guess they would not release that info if it were not so.  It also does not look like it has any really tall mechanical penthouse or any extra structural elements (spires/etc) either?  Just odd to me.

^Looks like it was well received by the Commission. It will be back in 2 months for final approval. A few neighbors didn't like the parking garage extension blocking their views. I'll bet we'll here more of these complaints as Downtown continues to fill out. The building is 173' tall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/02/27/developer-of-proposed-15-story-tower-says-it-will.html

^ The complaints about a development in the downtown area blocking someone else's views is quite humorous. You are probably correct that we will hear some more of those as taller developments start being proposed.

Apparently the 273' number was a typo....

Also, the article states that construction could be underway by the end of the year. If things go really well for this project, Market Tower, and Millennial Tower, we could see all of those under construction at the same time. It looks like our skyline is going to be seeing a lot of changes over the next couple years.

Site of planned downtown tower sells for $1.6M

An abandoned building sighted for redevelopment in downtown Columbus has sold.

AB 195 East Main LLC bought about an acre of land at 185-203 E. Main St. in downtown Columbus in a transaction that closed Monday. The five parcels sold for about $1.6 million, according to the Franklin County auditor. This is the site where an unnamed developer proposed an eight-story mixed-use development with ground-floor retail and 106 multifamily units earlier this year.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/05/22/site-of-planned-downtown-tower-sells-for-1-6.html

Design Revealed for New Main Street Building Downtown

A proposal to build a six-story mixed-use building at 195 E. Main St. will be presented to the Downtown Commission tomorrow morning.

The project was first brought before the commission as an eight-story building in January, although it was only presented conceptually, without any exterior details. The new design features exposed concrete, lots of glass and a second floor patio space.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/design-revealed-for-new-main-street-building-downtown-bw1

The-Harlow-Main-Street-1048x550.png

Major California vibes from this. Very different from anything else we have going up. I like it

Tell that to the folks on facebook, tons of backlash on there about this, I am with you though.

Why would there be backlash for that?  It's next to a pawn shop with tackier decorations for Christ sakes.

Why would there be backlash for that?  It's next to a pawn shop with tackier decorations for Christ sakes.

My thoughts exactly, they were saying it wasn't "original" enough.  One called it cookie cutter I believe, just a ton of laughs over there.

Oy.

Historic downtown building set for redevelopment, with flashy new look

rendering*750xx953-536-159-0.jpg

A New York City developer has taken over a downtown building and plans a facelift.

The Zettler Hardware building, 101 E. Main St., is set for upgrades and a colorful new look.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/01/21/historic-downtown-building-set-for-redevelopment.html

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 11:08 PM, ColDayMan said:

rendering*750xx953-536-159-0.jpg

I didn't care for the idea of painting that brick wall - but I'm warming up to it now.  I guess not all the bricks in the "Red Brick District" need to remain red :classic_cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/ajput0/the_columbus_love_mural_cbuslovemural_is/

I came across this "COLUMBUS / LOVE" mural photo in the above reddit thread.  Its on the side wall of one of the Lev's Pawn Shop buildings near the corner of Fifth & Main.  Looks pretty good (especially at night) IMO:

46847086782_45c73c9573_z_d.jpg

Nice improvement over the previous look for the wall.  Here's a google streetview of it from Aug 2016:

46847093662_5753077bf4_c_d.jpg

And here's a streetview from Sept 2017 after the mural was installed:

46847096782_a2fca84de9_c_d.jpg

^ Interesting coincidence about that COLUMBUS / LOVE mural on the side wall of Lev's Pawn Shop at Fifth & Main.  I screenshot this view of Fifth & Main yesterday while researching that location.  I wanted to show the Uncle Sam's Pawn Shop located directly across the street from Lev's -- forming a Pawn Shop sub-district within the Red Brick District :classic_wink:

39934282663_832551f4b0_b_d.jpg

And then this article appeared in today's Sunday Dispatch about Uncle Sam's Pawn Shop:

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190127/uncle-sams-pawn-shop-closing-up-shop-making-way-for-downtown-development

The current family owners of Uncle Sam's at 225 E. Main Street are putting the property up for sale and will be closing the pawn shop on April 15.  As the linked Dispatch article put it, "The owners are willing to sell the property to developers interested in an increasingly desirable section of Downtown."  And it is a decent location - within walking distance of Franklin University,  Grant Hospital and a trendy restaurant/nighttime venue cluster at S. Fourth and Main.

According to the article, NAI Ohio Equities is marketing the Uncle Sam’s property for $1.5 million.  Around the corner at 317 S. Fifth Street, a smaller 0.9-acre property containing the one-story Meat Packers building (which announced its closure earlier this week) sold in November for $645,000.  According to the article, Dave Anderson and his AB Partners are behind that purchase.  Anderson, president of Homestead America, is building a six-story apartment project at 195 E. Main St. - just west of the Uncle Sam's location.  That six-story project - Harlow on Main - would have 120 one-bedroom apartments ranging from 450 to 550 square feet starting at $950 a month.  Anderson said they have no plans yet for the Meat Packers site, which has 40 parking spaces.

The article mentioned that Mike Simpson of NAI Ohio Equities, who is marketing the Uncle Sam’s property, said he already has potential buyers for the Uncle Sam's corner property different from this neighboring six-story project.  Although the current look of the Uncle Sam's property is ultra-gaudy, the three-story brick building at the corner of Fifth & Main is a decent historic brick building that could be incorporated into a larger new-construction project here:

33024489448_417afd4e03_c_d.jpg

3 hours ago, Cbusflyer said:

Maybe I missed an update. Is this project still moving forward?

Currently it's been pretty silent, but it was just up for conceptual review and hasn't been back for approvals or anything. 

I'm not sure the status of the project but Berardi+ did post an interior image of this project on their instagram back in September (7 months after the conceptual review) saying "Upcoming mixed used project in Downtown Columbus"... so my assumption is it's still being worked through. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

Currently it's been pretty silent, but it was just up for conceptual review and hasn't been back for approvals or anything. 

I'm not sure the status of the project but Berardi+ did post an interior image of this project on their instagram back in September (7 months after the conceptual review) saying "Upcoming mixed used project in Downtown Columbus"... so my assumption is it's still being worked through. 

I'm personally very confident it is cancelled or on hold long term. 

1 hour ago, cityscapes said:

Well, dammit. That's disappointing to hear. 

What do you know!? Ha, but seriously if you can spill any knowledge or insight at all it would be appreciated.

Kind of sucks when projects die silently. 

16 hours ago, cityscapes said:

Any concrete info on this? Just wondering how you know. I was looking forward to this one : (

On 6/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, ColDayMan said:

Design Revealed for New Main Street Building Downtown

A proposal to build a six-story mixed-use building at 195 E. Main St. will be presented to the Downtown Commission tomorrow morning.

The project was first brought before the commission as an eight-story building in January, although it was only presented conceptually, without any exterior details. The new design features exposed concrete, lots of glass and a second floor patio space.

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/design-revealed-for-new-main-street-building-downtown-bw1

The-Harlow-Main-Street-1048x550.png

This project is now under construction there was significant activity on site today. The site plan was approved 3/6/19 thus releasing the building permit which was approved on 2/12/19. 

• Like 2

Looks like the developments are out of the gates and running now that the weather has flipped... 195 E Main Going vertical!

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Edited by DevolsDance
Formatting
  • Like 5

Developers see green in downtown’s historic ‘Red Brick District‘ 

red-brick-slide*750xx3499-1975-0-212.jpg

The Red Brick District's revival began in earnest when Dirty Frank’s Hot Dog Palace opened its doors on 4th Street between Cherry and Rich. Other restaurants and bars followed, including Hadley’s, Mikey’s Late Night Slice and 16-Bit Bar+Arcade, giving the area a hip, late-night vibe.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/04/11/developers-see-green-in-downtown-s-historic-red.html

Take a tour of downtown's blossoming 'Red Brick District' 

The-Harlow-Main-Street-1048x550.png&key=

Developers, restaurants and other businesses are transforming a sleepy section of downtown called the "Red Brick District" into a vibrant, growing neighborhood.

The revival of the area – south of the heart of downtown around Main and 4th streets – began in earnest when Dirty Frank’s Hot Dog Palace opened its doors on 4th Street between Cherry and Rich.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/04/11/take-a-tour-of-downtowns-blossoming-red-brick.html

On 4/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, ColDayMan said:

Developers see green in downtown’s historic ‘Red Brick District‘ 

red-brick-slide*750xx3499-1975-0-212.jpg

The Red Brick District's revival began in earnest when Dirty Frank’s Hot Dog Palace opened its doors on 4th Street between Cherry and Rich. Other restaurants and bars followed, including Hadley’s, Mikey’s Late Night Slice and 16-Bit Bar+Arcade, giving the area a hip, late-night vibe.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/04/11/developers-see-green-in-downtown-s-historic-red.html

Map and analysis of the Red Brick District from the above linked Business First story.  For this article, they looked at an eight-block area bordered by Town Street to the north, 3rd Street to the west, Fulton Street to the south, and 5th Street to the east:

33782978348_1457af8908_b_d.jpg

46936290934_cb0f7da49e_b_d.jpg

• Like 3