Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmecklenborg

Hurricane Maria

It's hitting Puerto Rico dead-on as we speak.  We're going through hurricane fatigue with a third major strike on the United States in a month so the media hasn't been paying as much attention. 

It's hitting Puerto Rico dead-on as we speak.  We're going through hurricane fatigue with a third major strike on the United States in a month so the media hasn't been paying as much attention.

Yep, hopefully Maria turns north and flames out some like Jose. I think NY or NE got some Jose rain but nothing bad.

Even in Florida, anywhere in a hurricane zone this is how I would build (some can't just too poor).

First floor is vacant/storage/garage

9a3864d7129fda2a7ea9d82fae779b68--building-homes-dominican-republic.jpg

Yeah I think the average mainland American forgets that Puerto Ricans are US citizens and that a storm destroying San Juan is just as big of a national blow (economically and morale-wise) as a storm hitting Miami or Houston is.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Just heard someone at work declare "f*ck em" to the people of Puerto Rico because "they're Indians and Indians don't pay taxes". 

Are you serious? What an idiot. It amazes me that people don't realize Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. I don't think they could be considered Indians as in Native Americans. Maybe a few. Puerto Ricans are very diverse in terms of race and descent. They range from looking white as hell to as black as Wesley Snipes, from what I hear. I'm pretty sure every PR person I've ever met considers themselves Latino/Latina. It is true that they don't pay federal income taxes but according to the internet they contribute billions of dollars to the treasury...maybe through corporate tax? I don't know a lot about it.

Anyway, I do know that Puerto Ricans are American citizens so that's definitely enough for any American to care about them. Puerto Rico is already in massive and I mean MASSIVE debt...probably on par with how Iceland went bankrupt. I'm sure the IMF and World Bank are sending in their economic hitmen to provide massive loans that they know they'd never in a million years be able to pay back and once the debt rises too high, they'll work out a deal for controlling of their resources and politics. Depending on how involved our federal government is, with the island.

I'm not sure at all how involved our federal government is with PR but even though they're U.S. citizens, I doubt they receive much in the way of federal benefits that we all enjoy by paying federal taxes on the mainland and Hawaii. There is somewhat of a U.S. Military presence in PR, perhaps what they do pay to the U.S. Treasury, goes mostly towards that. Hell, the fact that Puerto Rico serves as a barrier for mainland U.S. against hurricanes and its prospective damage, probably more than makes up for them not paying federal income tax. They have their own system of government to support themselves and yet they still pay billions each year to the U.S. Treasury.

Since they're considered U.S. citizens and their economy is already in shambles, I'd expect a huge influx of Puerto Ricans to the mainland U.S. Cleveland should welcome them with open arms to increase their population numbers. Actually, most Ohio cities have a decent Latino and Hispanic population and most Puerto Ricans, at least the ones I've ever known, speak Spanish and English very well so it wouldn't be hard to settle here.

Yeah I think the average mainland American forgets that Puerto Ricans are US citizens and that a storm destroying San Juan is just as big of a national blow (economically and morale-wise) as a storm hitting Miami or Houston is.

geez as someone who grew up with puerto rican folks always being a big part of my whole life i find that hard to believe, but over all of the usa its probably true. there has got to be a lot of hurricane news fatigue too this year.

What's amazing about this is how accurate the forecasted path for Maria was 3 days ago.  The eye traveled on almost the exact path predicted this past weekend.  Looks like San Juan had the profound misfortune of being hit by the strong side of the storm, very close to the eye.  Maybe 5 miles. 

So after Florida somehow escaped a worst-case scenario by Irma's last-minute caprices, San Juan suffers a direct hit.  The handful of pictures and videos that have appeared are pretty grim. 

What's amazing about this is how accurate the forecasted path for Maria was 3 days ago.  The eye traveled on almost the exact path predicted this past weekend.  Looks like San Juan had the profound misfortune of being hit by the strong side of the storm, very close to the eye.  Maybe 5 miles. 

So after Florida somehow escaped a worst-case scenario by Irma's last-minute caprices, San Juan suffers a direct hit.  The handful of pictures and videos that have appeared are pretty grim.

The models are very accurate less than 5 day, super accurate within 3. The Euro model was more accurate with Irma further out.

Why doesn't the USA go now and claim Puerto Rico as a state?

Yeah, it would be a lot of money, but with federal funds they could clean up and build the correct infrastructure there, and then the United States could take advantage of the economy, get it out of debt, etc. and it seems it could maybe be a win in the long run?

Anyone have any idea on this type of stuff?  I am guessing I am completely naïve on this.

Yeah, it would be a lot of money, but with federal funds they could clean up and build the correct infrastructure there, and then the United States could take advantage of the economy, get it out of debt, etc. and it seems it could maybe be a win in the long run?

Anyone have any idea on this type of stuff?  I am guessing I am completely naïve on this.

Politics.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I think the process for statehood must begin with the territory petitioning to join the Union prior to congressional action.

Puerto Rico would probably elect blue senators and representatives, so existing red states would never let that happen.

True. They're way less fiscally solvent than any U.S. State. The residents are much more poor than those on the main land and they're $72 Billion in debt (before this hurricane.)

I think the process for statehood must begin with the territory petitioning to join the Union prior to congressional action.

Even if they did, do you really think it would go anywhere? What does Puerto Rico have to offer the U.S? If the City of Detroit were a U.S. Territory Caribbean island, recently wrecked by a Cat5 hurricane, you think politicians or even citizens alike, would want to take on that burden? Okay, maybe they would since Americans love their cars so much but lets puts put the auto industry aside. Why would any country want to adopt and island that will constantly need to be rebuilt, even after it has recovered? They've been in a recession since 2006 and it's only getting worse.

If I was a PR, I'd be taking a one-way ticket to the mainland asap. That's not the kind of territory I'd want to live in. I think there's actually more PR people on the mainland than on the island, already. I think the bio-medical industry is actually the biggest industry in PR - even more of a reason for them to move to Cleveland. We need the Human Capital, bio-medical manufacturing and engineering and the job growth in that sector is definitely here. Puerto Rico exports $5Billion a year in medical devices.

I don't even understand the point of U.S. Territories at this point, unless they're convenient and important launch pads for the military, like Guam. I'm not sure why Puerto Rican benefits us in anyway or why they're considered U.S. citizens. If they voted to be independent, they obviously realize that they get more out of being a U.S. territory and U.S. citizen than by being a state or part of a state. After looking up how they don't pay into federal taxes, except for medicare and social security, it honestly doesn't make sense to provide disaster relief through FEMA or by providing military support or anything like that. They seem like much more of a liability of an asset. I don't know. I'm not an expert.

Also, Puerto Rico's citizens DO pay into social security, medicare, etc.  If they did pay federal income tax, it wouldn't pay very much, because the average citizen barely makes enough money to pay federal income tax. 

Also, Puerto Rico's citizens DO pay into social security, medicare, etc.  If they did pay federal income tax, it wouldn't pay very much, because the average citizen barely makes enough money to pay federal income tax. 

I don't think there's much 'etc.' if at all. At least according to the Wikipedia article I read. Yet they get our military support. Not saying we shouldn't be good neighbors and help them out but it sounds like outside of SS and Medicare, they simply pay taxes into their own government which is supposed to be responsible for handling all their debt, natural disasters, infrastructure, social services and other concerns of the highest government. Except they haven't been handling it well for decades and their debt ratio is perpetually insane. I think we're going to see a lot of Puerto Ricans taking advantage of their technical citizenship and coming to the mainland once their dire economic situation gets even worse. Japan has abandoned islands; I think we'll end up with some as well.

Ouch.  I was surprised to read that Puerto Rico has been playing games with avoiding capital gains and dividend income.  So they're basically trying to become a tax haven where wealthy mainland Americans can move without the hassle of establishing duel citizenship.  And there you see how the place got into financial trouble -- push the tax burden from heirs and the new money and push it down on the depressed general population. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2015/02/11/puerto-rico-new-age-tax-haven/#60bd7b9f57c9

It's pretty easy for the wealthy to get the middle class and poor to vote against their own self-interest.  It is probably in the interest of the average Puerto Rican citizen for the place to become a state if only to put an end to the tax haven game. 

That's good news, and candidly, I hope they waive it permanently, since, based on what I've been reading, the Jones act has had a negative impact on their overall economy for a long time. I'm also happy to hear that the banks are looking to provide relief on the debt PR has outstanding, even if temporarily.

It seems like the biggest issue now is the logistics of getting the supplies from the port to the actual people. I saw a video clip of a reporter in PR standing at the port where there were 3,000 shipping containers full of supplies, but there were no trucks to transport them inland.

http://ktla.com/2017/09/27/vital-aid-stranded-at-puerto-ricos-main-port-unable-to-move-due-to-ravaged-infrastructure/

Time Is Running Out for Puerto Ricans Sheltering in Hotels

“Many people staying in the hotels have described confusion over where their cases stand and anxiety about whether they will be able to stay as deadlines rapidly approach...”

https://t.co/Kf6wp3Z3GM

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

How is it that President Bush paid a heavy price for Katrina but Trump is not paying any price for this? https://t.co/BGwEGDDffd

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

What is it with these Trumpets and their stupid coins?

The EPA has commissioned a commemorative coin to celebrate its "excellence" in responding to last year’s hurricanes that ravaged Puerto Rico and parts of Texas and the Gulf Coast.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/393682-epa-to-create-commemorative-coin-celebrating-response-to-2017

JUST IN: Federal judge blocks Trump admin from cutting off housing aid to hurricane victims in Puerto Rico https://t.co/qKETEi0JF1

What is it with these Trumpets and their stupid coins?

It started 20-25 years ago in the Army. It was something cheap that senior generals and civilians (Asst Secretary and up) could hand out wholesale on their inspection tours.

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Puerto Rico & Hurricane Maria: "the mortality rate was much higher than previously known & estimated that at least 4,600 people died in the nearly 3 months after the storm — a 62% increase in the mortality rate compared with 2016"

"The Harvard study authors said that their requests for official data were denied, as were requests from reporters and news organizations suing the Puerto Rico government for access"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/new-puerto-rico-data-shows-deaths-increased-by-1400-after-hurricane-maria/2018/06/01/43bb4278-65e2-11e8-99d2-0d678ec08c2f_story.html

BREAKING: Almost 11 months after Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico concedes more than 1,400 people were killed by the storm last year -- not just the 64 in the official death toll.

https://apnews.com/1fe6c144340d4d41963fd304d569c088/Puerto-Rico-concedes-Hurricane-Maria-deaths-more-than-1,400

In October 2017, Trump said that Puerto Rico officials should be "proud" more haven't died like in "a real catastrophe like Katrina."

It was just announced that Gov. Ricardo Rossello is raising Puerto Rico's official toll from Hurricane Maria from 64 to 2,975. https://t.co/aHKvNqZNAz

Almost one year after hurricane Maria, US citizens are living out of tents adjacent to where their homes once stood whole.

As election day approaches, ask those running  for elected…

2,975 people died in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

That’s 1,000 more than Hurricane Katrina.

It's about as many as on 9/11.

It’s now absolutely clear that Hurricane Maria was a humanitarian tragedy with little precedent in modern American history.

https://grist.org/article/hurricane-marias-official-death-toll-just-jumped-from-64-to-2975/

2,975 people died in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

That’s 1,000 more than Hurricane Katrina.

It's about as many as on 9/11.

It’s now absolutely clear that Hurricane Maria was a humanitarian tragedy with little precedent in modern American history.

https://grist.org/article/hurricane-marias-official-death-toll-just-jumped-from-64-to-2975/

But Trump congratulated himself on the response and even threw some people paper towels.  How can you not recognize his heroic efforts for those Caribbean savages?

San Juan mayor says the Trump administration killed thousands through neglect during Hurricane Maria

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/29/politics/san-juan-mayor-carmen-yulin-cruz-death-toll-cnntv/index.html

Photos reportedly show massive stockpile of bottled water left on a runway for more than a year in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

https://amp.businessinsider.com/puerto-rico-water-bottle-fema-hurrican-maria-2018-9

BREAKING: What may be millions of water bottles. meant for victims of Hurricane Maria, have been sitting on a runway in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, since last year, according to @FEMA, which confirmed the news to me, late tonight, after pictures, posted today on social media, went viral.

Dm3NBSGUcAEthLh.jpg

^ The article says the water was delivered to Puerto Rican government who then failed to make use of it. It sounds like FEMA was doing all they could and the local government dropped the ball. What a waste.

If they did all they could, they would have supplied trucks and cleared roads to distribute it.