Sign in to follow this  
Guest MGM

Hurricane Irma

The forest of construction cranes in and near Miami are vulnerable:

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane-irma/irma-may-topple-construction-cranes-in-south-florida-residents-warned-to-evacuate

Miami has ordered the evacuation of 100,000 residents in "low-lying" areas.  Somehow they couldn't figure that out in Houston, with significant sections of the population residing on 100-year or lower flood plains and up to 50" of rain forecasted. 

The amount of fake weather news on the web is shocking.

In a similar vein, why is Weather.com one of the worst major websites in existence today? It's always impossibly slow, presumably from the unbelievable amount of clickbait and advertisements on every page of that site.

Such a garbage site.

The forest of construction cranes in and near Miami are vulnerable:

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane-irma/irma-may-topple-construction-cranes-in-south-florida-residents-warned-to-evacuate

Miami has ordered the evacuation of 100,000 residents in "low-lying" areas.  Somehow they couldn't figure that out in Houston, with significant sections of the population residing on 100-year or lower flood plains and up to 50" of rain forecasted.

Shorter notice for Houston, Gov did say Houstonians should consider leaving vs local Mayor.

Please.  When I saw the weather report 2 days out that said Harvey was going to stall over Houston and drop as much as 50" of rain, I immediately thought "get out", even before it became known that large sections of Houston are comprised of slab homes on 100-year flood plains or worse. 

Hurricanes do one of three things:

1. blow your house down (relatively rare)

2. storm surge wrecks/floods it (relatively rare)

3a. heavy rain causes flash floods (has wrecked tens of thousands of homes in the past 10 years)

3b. flash floods pool in areas below or near sea level (New Orleans, Houston). 

3a and 3b are exacerbated when a storm stalls over an area.  Hugo was the opposite of that -- it blasted from the Carolina Coast to Ohio in like 7 hours.  Others take days to get up here, then they stall out and cause biblical flash flooding. 

I've been around the aftermath of several Hurricanes on the Gulf Coast and three stalls in the interior.  Two in eastern Ohio in the early 2000s (2004 Marietta Flood) and my parents' home came relatively close to being flooded in the 2010 stall over Nashville.  Dozens of homes in their development, most valued over $500k, were flooded when the normally benign Harpeth River, a tributary to the Cumberland, hit a 500+ year level. 

People seem to just not understand what a big deal flooding is.   

People don't realize the severity of it until they or someone close to them is affected. Often it takes experience to understand, but you've got to expect for and prepare for the worst, not just assume it will be mostly harmless.

)

3b. flash floods pool in areas below or near sea level (New Orleans, Houston). 

3a and 3b are exacerbated when a storm stalls over an area.  Hugo was the opposite of that -- it blasted from the Carolina Coast to Ohio in like 7 hours.  Others take days to get up here, then they stall out and cause biblical flash flooding. 

People seem to just not understand what a big deal flooding is.   

Katrina in NOLA was actually the storm surge. I don't think there was much rain with it (relatively speaking)

But yes, by far the biggest cause of loss of life in weather disasters is Flooding, a lot of times not connected with newsworthy events.

Katrina in NOLA was actually the storm surge. I don't think there was much rain with it (relatively speaking)

But yes, by far the biggest cause of loss of life in weather disasters is Flooding, a lot of times not connected with newsworthy events.

Correct, the New Orleans flooding was caused by a topping and breaching of the levees by the storm surge.  There was also a legal case where my dad's company was accused of causing the Industrial Canal breach.  If you remember that image of the river barge sitting in a neighborhood after shooting through the levee, well that thing was owned by my dad's company.  He was head of legal at the time and successfully argued that because the barge was under control of a customer at the time (tied up to their dock) that the owner wasn't liable.  Otherwise they would have been driven out of business.  I don't know what happened to the company that was using the barge.

I believe that was yet another class action created by the office of Johnny Cochran.  My dad's company has been menaced by Johnny Cochran's various class action suits for decades (representing minority communities along the Mississippi River any time there is an accident), even though he has been dead for quite awhile.   

PR got hit hard. Heard that maybe 1 Million have no power. So far it is not as bad in DR although they are not out of it yet. Punta Cana airport opened at 8:30 this morning. I went to weather.com and clicked on USA radar then just went down to the Caribbean and filled in the layers for a solid interactive map.

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/USKY1575:1:US

It looked like Nevis / St. Kitts were right in the line of the storms progression, but I read this am that they escaped with minimal damage.

They were 20+ miles south of the eye and also, critically, on the south side of the storm.  If a hurricane is traveling westward at 15mph, the north will create winds roughly 30mph faster than the south. 

They were 20+ miles south of the eye and also, critically, on the south side of the storm.  If a hurricane is traveling westward at 15mph, the north will create winds roughly 30mph faster than the south.

Yep, I was watching the infrared radar and the DR was just out of reach of the heavy winds. Their power grid goes out easy so there is probably a lot of that.

This article mentions that the lack of an income tax in Florida means most revenue comes from property tax.  Where is the most valuable property?  Of course -- the stuff that's going to be destroyed on Sunday and Monday. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/climate/florida-hurricane-irma-damage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

This article mentions that the lack of an income tax in Florida means most revenue comes from property tax.  Where is the most valuable property?  Of course -- the stuff that's going to be destroyed on Sunday and Monday. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/climate/florida-hurricane-irma-damage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Class A mid and hi rise condos will survive fine. Typical single family is in more danger to wind and flooding.

I doubt one gets an automatic real estate tax reduction if your home or commercial RE is impacted?

I love his statement on Twitter. He essentially just spoke about what a privilege it was to get to be a part of one of (if not the strongest) hurricane in recorded history and talked about how cool it was to have a sleep-over with his crew in the wine cellar. That's the outlook and attitude that only a multi-billionaire would have. His wine cellar bunker was clearly designed to be a safe-haven for a category 5-6 hurricane or else he and his crew would have hopped on the private jet and gotten the hell out of Dodge as there was plenty of warning before it hit.

I love his statement on Twitter. He essentially just spoke about what a privilege it was to get to be a part of one of (if not the strongest) hurricane in recorded history and talked about how cool it was to have a sleep-over with his crew in the wine cellar. That's the outlook and attitude that only a multi-billionaire would have. His wine cellar bunker was clearly designed to be a safe-haven for a category 5-6 hurricane or else he and his crew would have hopped on the private jet and gotten the hell out of Dodge as there was plenty of warning before it hit.

There's no such thing as a category 6.

I would presume any expensive houses in the area would have something like that.

Awesome.  Irma projected to travel directly over this nuclear power plant:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.4353881,-80.3327662,1726m/data=!3m1!1e3

That this thing survived a direct hit from Andrew back in 1992 shouldn't inspire much confidence.  It'll be great to see Rick Perry have to actually do something. 

Do what?  If the Secretary of Energy has to "do something" in a case like this it got pretty bad, on a design-failure level. 

The actual nuclear section should survive tornado winds, which are much higher than hurricane.

Andrew messed up the water treatment plant but there was no radiation leakage.

^ I have a book - "Headless Body In Topless Bar" named after the famous headline and it's a collection of various headlines and the stories behind them, and who wrote them. The guy who wrote that one, Vincent Musetto, died a few years back but there are interviews with him on Youtube and you can tell it takes quite a bit of wit to craft most of those NY Post headlines - though some do write themselves, like the dozens of Anthony Wiener headlines they've had through the years.

We have 3 strong hurricanes at once, in the Atlantic! Jose, Irma and Katia. Jose is also a Cat 5 hurricane and heading in a similar path as Irma.

Meanwhile, out west, here's just one of the wildfires. This one is in Washington. They aren't getting much press coverage.

WireAP_a2480cc024994b69ab678a9b213c3eff_12x5_992.jpg

Trump nominated someone to head the DOE who earlier advocated for it to be abolished.  Then it turned out he didn't even know what the DOE did. 

Most conservative Republicans would like to see it be abolished.

most of those NY Post headlines - though some do write themselves, like the dozens of Anthony Wiener headlines they've had through the years.

Off topic but if you have some time look up the Anthony Wiener documentary that was made around 2013.  They follow him around during his NYC mayoral campaign.  He comes across as badly and obviously flawed as anyone a camera crew has ever followed. 

Most conservative Republicans would like to see it be abolished.[/color]

No they don't.  They just say it to win votes from people who don't read.  But amazingly, Rick Perry actually did not know what it did.  Because he doesn't read. 

Look at the size of those in comparison to the land mass of Florida! My coworker has a flight booked for Sunday to go to her home town which is a south-western beach community. I can't believe she still plans to go. I'm not sure why an airport would even allow flights to anywhere in Florida during that time.

Have we ever had two hurricanes that close together before? Is it possible for them to collide or gain strength from the other? What happens if they do collide?

Look at the size of those in comparison to the land mass of Florida! My coworker has a flight booked for Sunday to go to her home town which is a south-western beach community. I can't believe she still plans to go. I'm not sure why an airport would even allow flights to anywhere in Florida during that time.

Have we ever had two hurricanes that close together before? Is it possible for them to collide or gain strength from the other? What happens if they do collide?

They will never collide. They undergo something called the Fujiwara effect where each storm does a rotational dance around the other. It's already happened in the Eastern Pacific this year but it wasn't reported because it happened about 1000 miles off the west coast of Mexico where nobody cares. It happens more often than you know, mainly in the Pacific.

These storms aren't going to encounter the Fujiwara effect. Irma will fall apart over Florida, Jose is forecast to move NW away from the rest of the Caribbean.

Jose (the one right behind Irma and headed in nearly the same path) is now a Cat. 4.

150338_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

Too early to predict,

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/150338.shtml?mltoa34#contents

A hurricane watch is in effect for Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Sint Maarten, St. Martin and St. Barthelemy. A tropical storm warning is also in effect for Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barthelemy and Sint Maarten.

A tropical storm watch has been issued for Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius, the British Virgin Islands, St. Thomas and St. John.

For now, all residents of the Leeward Islands, including areas hard hit by Irma, should monitor for the latest on Jose's forecast.

Many of these islands took the full brunt of Category 5 Hurricane Irma on Wednesday, with winds gusting over 155 mph.

Very Stable Genius

I can't believe my coworker still plans to take a flight to Tampa , Sunday. Even if they don't shut down the airport, there's a really good chance of substantial flood damage all throughout Florida. She plans to drive back to Cleveland a few days later. She said she knows all the back-roads.By that point in time I have a feeling she's likely to drive down -elevation into a major flood without warning.

This hurricane is so much wider than the state of Florida and it's projected to be worse than hurricane Andrew. Not only is it bigger but Irma is gaining speed and is now a cat 5 again. Meteorologists do what they can but they can't 100% accurately predict a path days in advance. She's assuming it will go east and mostly just effect the east coast of Florida but when it comes to hurricane trajectories, they can change at a moment's notice.

I hope she'll be okay. And I hope she's able to come back to Ohio by Tuesday so I don't have to come in on my off day and do her work.

I can't believe my coworker still plans to take a flight to Tampa , Sunday. Even if they don't shut down the airport, there's a really good chance of substantial flood damage all throughout Florida. She plans to drive back to Cleveland a few days later. She said she knows all the back-roads.By that point in time I have a feeling she's likely to drive down -elevation into a major flood without warning.

This hurricane is so much wider than the state of Florida and it's projected to be worse than hurricane Andrew. Not only is it bigger but Irma is gaining speed and is now a cat 5 again. Meteorologists do what they can but they can't 100% accurately predict a path days in advance. She's assuming it will go east and mostly just effect the east coast of Florida but when it comes to hurricane trajectories, they can change at a moment's notice.

I hope she'll be okay. And I hope she's able to come back to Ohio by Tuesday so I don't have to come in on my off day and do her work.

I have 3 friends staying in high rises Miami and FLL. They have a month of food and water though.