Guest ColDayMan

Columbus: Downtown: The Reach on Goodale / White Castle HQ

White Castle Breaks Ground at “The Reach on Goodale” Development

timthumb.php?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.columbusunderground.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F05%2Fwhite-castle-hq-00.jpg&q=90&w=650&zc=1&

After 84 years in their headquarters at 555 W. Goodale St., White Castle is ready for some new digs. A groundbreaking ceremony is taking place this afternoon to kick off construction on the first phase of development, which has been officially named “The Reach on Goodale.”

“We realize that it’s really important to have a name that gives us a sense of place,” explained Jamie Richardson, VP of Government and Shareholder Relations at White Castle, describing the location as connecting the areas between Downtown Columbus and Grandview Yard. “This is going to be our home for White Castle, but we also needed a great expression of what others get to experience when they call this their own home.”

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/white-castle-breaks-ground-at-the-reach-on-goodale-development-we1

white-castle-hq-06.jpg?resize=1024%2C423&ssl=1

white-castle-hq-03.jpg?resize=1024%2C630&ssl=1

white-castle-hq-02.jpg?resize=1024%2C630&ssl=1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The more I look at it the more it looks like a lost opportunity and more like a small suburban office park somewhere in the far north of Dallas.  And to think this and 600 Goodale are actually within the downtown district boundaries and this is all we get? smh,

^It's a weird, isolated pocket of downtown surrounded by freeways and railroads. Even walking to Grandview Yard is an uncomfortable journey. I don't think any building design can get over these obstacles.

I think the building is OK on it's own.

^It's a weird, isolated pocket of downtown surrounded by freeways and railroads. Even walking to Grandview Yard is an uncomfortable journey. I don't think any building design can get over these obstacles.

Some sort of separation to get people under the railroad tracks without having to be next to zooming traffic would mitigate the issue. Probably a tunnel. There would still be two wide roads that must be forded though.

The more I look at it the more it looks like a lost opportunity and more like a small suburban office park somewhere in the far north of Dallas.  And to think this and 600 Goodale are actually within the downtown district boundaries and this is all we get? smh,

If Schottenstein didn't back out(like they so often do) so quick on the "Grand Central" development this project would look a lot better.  You would've essentially had no break in the streetscape outside of the highway overpasses and the bridge to Olentangy (which is about 1/10th of a mile total) between downtown and Grandview Yard.

^I have that same qualm with the Miami where it runs through Dayton. The current riverbank is just floodplain filled with weeds and a grassy levee. I know it's hard to sculpt these things but it would be great if Ohio's urban rivers could get properly landscaped, somehow. I know it's tricky with the Miami and Scioto/Olentangy since they regularly flood, but there has to be some precedent somewhere we could copy.

This "scrubby stuff" is what holds the river banks together. This section of the Olentangy is not an "urban river"

The path should always stay clear and the adjacent vegetation maintained, but there is no reason to obstruct the habitat space and vegetation that prevents erosion and keeps the Olentangy River more wildlife-friendly in this area. We have a healthier river corridor because of these vegetated banks. Don't overlook that for your anthropocentric need for an orderly landscape everywhere you deem "yours"

Take it easy guys.  We're all basically allies here promoting quality urban development.

No need for anyone to get bent out of shape going into a beautiful holiday weekend.

It is how they deal with the parking that is my main complaint. The buildings are ok I guess, and even the layout. The way they deal with and place the parking is problematic for me. One six story garage for the parking would allow for space for another building or more greenspace. No reason for a two story garage and a surface parking lot here.  But it is by far not the most important part of downtown so meh basically.

It is how they deal with the parking that is my main complaint. The buildings are ok I guess, and even the layout. The way they deal with and place the parking is problematic for me. One six story garage for the parking would allow for space for another building or more greenspace. No reason for a two story garage and a surface parking lot here.  But it is by far not the most important part of downtown so meh basically.

Development pressure/demand may entice them to do that at some point... at least that's a possibility.  Surface lots are antiquated in an urban setting, but the good thing is that they are easily buildable.

First Phase of “The Reach on Goodale” Residences Unveiled

white-castle-hq-02.jpg

Construction officially broke ground on the new White Castle headquarters building in May, but the second phase of the larger project known as “The Reach on Goodale” is already moving forward. Local firm Architectural Alliance presented plans for the first three residential buildings on the site to the Downtown Commission this morning, seeking input on the design.

“This phase focuses on the first three buildings of the five,” stated Architectural Alliance President Brad Parish. “This includes 82 units with a central amenity area featuring a pool deck and outdoor space for bocce ball and grilling.”

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-phase-of-the-reach-on-goodale-residences-unveiled-we1

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/07/24/first-look-plans-revealed-for-apartments-at-the.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

White Castle HQ campus apartments coming into clearer view 

screen-shot-2018-05-23-at-21343-pm*750xx

Plans are coming into focus for 254 apartments targeted for the $65 million White Castle headquarters campus redevelopment.

The Downtown Commission saw updated concepts for the Reach at Goodale, the planned residential portion of the 21-acre development at 555 W. Goodale Blvd. The five apartment buildings will complement White Castle’s 105,000-square-foot headquarters building near the Arena District.

Elford Development, working with Architectural Alliance, White Castle and POD Design, plans to split the residential portion of the Reach at Goodale into two phases, with the first 82 units to be built in three three-story buildings on the northwest edge of the 21-acre development. Two larger five-story buildings will be constructed later. An interior building will have a rooftop pool.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/10/23/white-castle-hq-campus-apartments-coming-into.html

Second office building planned for White Castle headquarters site

screen-shot-2019-01-22-at-112340-am*750x

Developers have cemented plans for an office building addition to the $65 million redevelopment of the White Castle headquarters.

There had been some talk of a second office building in the Reach at Goodale development at 555 W. Goodale Blvd.

The mixed-use project includes the restaurant chain's own 105,000-square-foot headquarters building, a 254-unit apartment community, amphitheater and community center. Now, you can add a four-story, 66,000-square-foot office building on the site.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/01/22/second-office-building-planned-for-white-castle.html

Some other updates about White Castle's 'The Reach on Goodale' project.  In addition to White Castle's new 100,000 square foot HQ building and 254-unit apartment community going onto the 555 W. Goodale Street property, a four-story, 66,000 square foot office building is also planned.  Two tenants have recently committed to this building.

• Like 1

Not your typical corporate HQ: White Castle's new home features a giant throne, a gift shop and a spiral slide

white-castle-hq-8*750xx5184-2916-0-270.j

At White Castle's new headquarters, you can skip the stairs and take a slide right into the lobby.

Or, as one might call it, the throne room.

After years of work, employees of the Columbus-based fast food chain are moving into the new four-story, 105,000-square-foot headquarters that anchors the $65 million Reach on Goodale development at 555 W. Goodale St.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/11/19/not-your-typical-corporate-hq-white-castles-new.html

https://www.columbusunderground.com/white-castle-employees-relocate-into-new-hq-building-we1

• Like 1

^ That spiral slide reminds me of some kind of chute for trash that would end up in an incinerator.  😄  I would want to see where it ended first!  Makes me think of Veruca/Willy Wonka and all.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, cbussoccer said:

Photo of construction progress from a couple weeks ago.

White Castle HQ with Grandview Yard in background, Columbus

I hadn't noticed the subtle architectural logo at the top of the HQ buildings. That's pretty great! I love how close it is to the highway, too. With Confluence Village built out on the other side this will be such an interesting stretch of highway to drive on (something I never thought I'd say).

26 minutes ago, jebleprls22 said:

I hadn't noticed the subtle architectural logo at the top of the HQ buildings. That's pretty great! I love how close it is to the highway, too. With Confluence Village built out on the other side this will be such an interesting stretch of highway to drive on (something I never thought I'd say).

And just before this now is the new Cover MyMeds headquarters rising up.  It's finally visible from the highway now as you drive by.  When I think what this area looked like just 10 years ago when I moved and lived down here, it's crazy how many more buildings and infill there has been, and only more to come (Chipotle HQ, AC Hotel, Hilton Hotel, Market Tower, etc.....)  670 through this area is being flanked on each side as you drive through, not a bad thing at all IMO.

30 minutes ago, Gnoraa said:

And just before this now is the new Cover MyMeds headquarters rising up.  It's finally visible from the highway now as you drive by.  When I think what this area looked like just 10 years ago when I moved and lived down here, it's crazy how many more buildings and infill there has been, and only more to come (Chipotle HQ, AC Hotel, Hilton Hotel, Market Tower, etc.....)  670 through this area is being flanked on each side as you drive through, not a bad thing at all IMO.

Don't forget about the 11-story Westminster-Thurber mid-rise that should be underway next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gnoraa said:

It would've been even better had Schottenstein gone through with their plan to connect the White Castle site and the stadium.  Despite the Crew getting what they wanted Schottenstein still could've completed about 75% of what they wanted to do though, but that's to be expected out of them!

I've edited this twice to fix my percentage and add the picture.  Why the hell did they cancel this!? It could've been 100% completed even with the stadium, really disappointing!

schottenstein-grand-central-1_1200xx2500-1406-0-106.jpg

Edited by wpcc88
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wpcc88 said:

It would've been even better had Schottenstein gone through with their plan to connect the White Castle site and the stadium.  Despite the Crew getting what they wanted Schottenstein still could've completed about 75% of what they wanted to do though, but that's to be expected out of them!

I've edited this twice to fix my percentage and add the picture.  Why the hell did they cancel this!? It could've been 100% completed even with the stadium, really disappointing!

I take EVERY proposed project from Schottenstein with a GIGANTIC grain of salt.  Of all the developers in town, they are the least reliable in my personal opinion.  My guess is they will develop this land someday long down the line, or pawn/sell it off to someone else because they can't get their stuff together to make anything materialize.  I will say it is definitely a unique site with some complicated workarounds, however I don't think they are the developer with the skill to make it happen.  Again just my opinion, very unreliable and "schotty" track record.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gnoraa said:

I take EVERY proposed project from Schottenstein with a GIGANTIC grain of salt.  Of all the developers in town, they are the least reliable in my personal opinion.  My guess is they will develop this land someday long down the line, or pawn/sell it off to someone else because they can't get their stuff together to make anything materialize.  I will say it is definitely a unique site with some complicated workarounds, however I don't think they are the developer with the skill to make it happen.  Again just my opinion, very unreliable and "schotty" track record.

The major issue was they put out a proposal for land they didn't own and I'm not sure the rail lines or Savko will ever give up the land. It was a developer basically playing Sim City.

Edit: They said they were 'in talks' but I'm still not entirely sure it was ever a serious thing. ESPECIALLY when schottenstein said 'oh. We decided to give the land up for the Crew'.... again, land they don't own.... o_O

Edited by DTCL11

3 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

The major issue was they put out a proposal for land they didn't own and I'm not sure the rail lines or Savko will ever give up the land. It was a developer basically playing Sim City. 

Thank you for clarifying, I didn't realize they didn't own the land.  I will say working around/with the rail companies is horrendous.  They still have a ton of power and don't budge or coordinate easily with projects.  Considering this already oddly shaped piece of property is bound on all sides by rail lines, it's definitely gonna take some creativity in the end to make it happen.  I do like how you say a "developer basically playing Sim City" haha seems very spot on lol

Edited by Gnoraa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wpcc88 said:

It would be nice to see something like just the top section built.

• Like 3

This needs to happen.

13217_904205209644599_159945049845065213

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Designers share new details about the amphitheater coming to White Castle's $65M Reach on Goodale project

white-castle-10-24-19-dt-46*750xx3600-20

Designers unveiled the first details of the amphitheater, which has been dubbed Reach Park, at Tuesday morning's meeting of the Downtown Commission. It will be built in the space previously occupied by the restaurant company's longtime headquarters building at 555 W. Goodale St., once that building's demolition is complete.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/01/28/designers-share-new-details-about-the-amphitheater.html

Pulled these from the architectural plans in the link. It's relatively 'meh' IMO. 

There are no other renderings of the park as a whole. Just B/W schematics. 

Screenshot_20200129-084242_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-084257_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-084311_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-085118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-085202_Chrome.jpg

A clam strip!

• Haha 2

White Castle adding retail piece to campus redevelopment

white-castle-10-24-19-dt-46*750xx3600-20

White Castle has revealed what it wants to build in front of its headquarters.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/02/21/white-castle-adding-retail-piece-to-campus.html