Sign in to follow this  
Ram23

Political Correctness

31 minutes ago, ck said:

Wouldn't that further the case that cancel culture is a thing?

No. Because Natasha is pretending to be the victim. She used her social media and her power to put a transit worker. The people claiming that they are being canceled always seem to have more power than those they rail against. But these powerful people have been canceling people for centuries. They are now upset that they face criticism and have made up cancel culture to turn it into a free speech issue. 

It's not cancel culture because an author riding a train was in a more powerful position than an employee of the transit system she was riding on, due to the author's ability to use a free service, that tens of millions of people use, to make a complaint about breaking a posted rule?  Would that mean all customers of all businesses are part of this power structure?  Are authors or customers the power structure that have been canceling people for centuries?

I don't think I can get behind this way of viewing it.  I've heard the power point of view a lot lately, but power is such a dynamic thing and we often treat it as pretty static.  At work I have power, I'm the boss... until I walk into my boss' office.  When I get on the bus, I have as much power as anyone else.  When I go to the store, I'm at the mercy of that store.  Everywhere I go, the power dynamic shifts, it isn't static.  For some people it's pretty static (e.g. Trump), but for an author on a train who got the worst of making a complaint about a rule being broken, I'm not really seeing the power she had. 

Is this cancel culture or nah?

ESPN suspends Adrian Wojnarowski, its star NBA reporter, after profane email to senator

The suspension comes after Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) tweeted an image of an email from Wojnarowski on Friday in which the reporter responded to a news release from the senator’s office with an expletive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/12/adrian-wojnarowski-suspended-espn-email-senator-josh-hawley/

Cancel culture is definitely a real thing, but I wouldn't say this is an example. The guy broke company, and common sense, policy and is being penalized rightfully.

It's no different than if my employer learned I, representing the company, said f you to a senator, and sent me home without pay.  

14 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Cancel culture is definitely a real thing, but I wouldn't say this is an example. The guy broke company, and common sense, policy and is being penalized rightfully.

It's no different than if my employer learned I, representing the company, said f you to a senator, and sent me home without pay.  

But the good Senator posted his tweet publicly in order to get him canceled.  I see no difference here.

Muh marketplace of ideas...

Edited by freefourur