Sign in to follow this  
Ram23

Political Correctness

^ I don't know why you keep insisting people are "outraged" or "whining." I'm mostly just pointing a finger at ESPN and laughing. Maybe I should use more emoticons.

May I suggest a few?

:whip:  :x  :-( :shoot:

The MSM likes to eat itself for reasons having little to do with politics.  All of them supported Kerry in '04, but that stopped none of them from jumping on CBS News when their "scoop" turned out to be based on forgery.

I have to admit the ESPN handling of the Robert Lee thing is quite stupid.

I would hope most viewers would be bright enough to realize there are Americans capable of having this name and these individuals can live in the South or interact with the region. If there is an offended group out there about this issue they're idiots and need to be outed.

No argument that ESPN makes lousy personnel decisions. You just have to watch their on air anchors to get that. I just think this whole thing is a complete waste of air. If he called the game, NBD. Instead they moved him to a different game. Again, NBD. It's not like they fired him or but him in a back room analyst position.

But, when you're paid for the number of hot takes you put out....I guess you gotta find as much fuel as you can. The whole thing is exhausting. I want to take a 4 year nap.

^^ There's a documentary called "Meet the Hitlers" about people who have the unfortunate circumstance of having the name "Hitler." It's okay, the name of the film is probably the most compelling part. Obviously, having a last name "Hitler" would be rough, but what's interesting about "Robert Lee" is that it went from being perfectly fine - a name that would not have stood out to many people at all - to potentially offensive almost overnight. "Robert" is the third most common name in America and "Lee" is the 24th most common surname, so there's got to be thousands of "Robert Lees" out there suddenly thinking "oh crap" or slowly converting to "Bob."

^^ There's a documentary called "Meet the Hitlers" about people who have the unfortunate circumstance of having the name "Hitler." It's okay, the name of the film is probably the most compelling part. Obviously, having a last name "Hitler" would be rough, but what's interesting about "Robert Lee" is that it went from being perfectly fine - a name that would not have stood out to many people at all - to potentially offensive almost overnight. "Robert" is the third most common name in America and "Lee" is the 24th most common surname, so there's got to be thousands of "Robert Lees" out there suddenly thinking "oh crap" or slowly converting to "Bob."

And no one at all cares about the name "Jeff Davis".

No argument that ESPN makes lousy personnel decisions. You just have to watch their on air anchors to get that. I just think this whole thing is a complete waste of air. If he called the game, NBD. Instead they moved him to a different game. Again, NBD. It's not like they fired him or but him in a back room analyst position.

But, when you're paid for the number of hot takes you put out....I guess you gotta find as much fuel as you can. The whole thing is exhausting. I want to take a 4 year nap.

Lets call it as it is. If someone named Mohammed Atta was removed from calling a NY Giants or Jets game when the NFL restarted after 9/11 there would have been howls of outrage from every group that now calls the Robert Lee instance "overblown".

It's not a hot take to call this a stupid decision. It's a fact and should be spotlighted.

Those who demand we say nothing about climate at a time like this are enforcing the worst kind of political correctness.

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

This one is pretty telling:

British conductor sacked by US music festival after 'innocent' joke with his African-American friend was labelled racist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/09/british-conductor-sacked-us-music-festival-joke-labelled-racist/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Matthew Halls was removed as artistic director of the Oregon Bach Festival following an incident in which he imitated a southern American accent while talking to his longstanding friend, the African-American classical singer Reginald Mobley.

It is understood a white woman who overheard the joke reported it to officials at the University of Oregon, which runs the festival, claiming it amounted to a racial slur.

“I’m from the deep south and Matthew often makes fun of the southern accent just as I often make fun of his British accent,” said Mobley. “Race was not an issue. He was imitating a southern accent, not putting on a black accent, and there was nothing racist or malicious about it.”

An internal inquiry into the incident is understood to have been held as a result of the complaint.

However, Mobley was not invited to give evidence and he says there is a deep irony in the fact the authorities appear to have assumed on his behalf that he would have objected to the joke.

“I’m the subject of a falsified story, without having the chance to have my say,” he said. “My voice has been taken away in a conversation about race that involved me, and technically that’s racist.”

It seems to me like this white woman felt the need to be insulted on his behalf and the university concurred and assumed, without asking him, that he must have been hurt by the words. He summed it up nicely by pointing out who the real racists are here - white, ultra-liberals (especially in academia) who constantly misdiagnose situations in order to fulfill their self righteous desire to "protect" people they view as victims.

Those who demand we say nothing about climate at a time like this are enforcing the worst kind of political correctness.

Hurricanes and the weather are not caused by climate change. There are more important issues. We are humans and we will adapt. I for one will not lose sleep over the climate.

Right after a heart attack is no time to talk about your smoking and daily consumption of a Big Mac and fries. There is no evidence that this heart attack happened specifically because of those things...you could've been genetically predisposed. Lalalalalala

Hurricanes and the weather are not caused by climate change. There are more important issues. We are humans and we will adapt. I for one will not lose sleep over the climate.

This statement right here is exactly the problem. No one is saying that hurricanes and weather are caused by climate change. They're specifically saying that the storms are going to become more frequent and intense. You can clearly see that with Harvey, Irma (and possibly Jose) within a two-week span. It's going beyond just hurricanes though and extends to droughts, flash flooding, etc.

Since when did we as a society start accepting the "We'll adapt" mentality? We can solve this problem, and we should rather than giving up. I'm sure you're anti-terrorism, and I'm sure it's because you're not a fan of people dying. Should we rather do nothing about terrorism and stop spending an ungodly amount of money to prevent attacks and adapt to it as a common occurrence in life? You're more likely to die from a natural disaster than you are from terrorism, and that number will only increase with a higher frequency of natural events.

There is no link between the temperature record and hurricanes. This is a scientific fact backed up by data. Hurricane seasons globally (including this current one with Irma) are no worse than they were 50 years ago. The idea that people are starting to think seasons are getting increasingly dangerous is more disturbing to me than the storms themselves. It's another example of how social media acts as an agent to distort the truth.

There's a metric called the ACE (Accumulated Cyclone Energy) Index which measures the strength of each hurricane. Those totals are added up for each hurricane/cyclone region/season. The data shows that there has been no real movement in upward or downward in the total amount of energy each year. The 1965 Hurricane/Cyclone cycle is roughly the same as in 2017.

It may seem "worse" because we have more access to data than ever before. Also people are increasingly living on or near coastlines.

"Adapting" generally involves losing some metaphorical sleep and working until you figure out a solution to a problem...

There are a lot of interesting survey results here:

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

Some of the extra tidbits I found interesting:

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clinton’s voters agree that it’s “hard” to be friends with Donald Trump’s voters. However, only 34% of Trump’s voters feel the same way about Clinton’s. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters don’t think it’s hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Don’t Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

^I love the chart in the link that shows that liberals feel much more comfortable than conservatives when expressing their political views.  I'm sorry, but if you don't feel comfortable expressing your political opinion maybe you should reevaluate those beliefs.  You are uncomfortable discussing them for a reason.

Think, for a minute, about what that reason might be.

Mobs who seek to silence dissent are rarely, if ever, on the right side of history.

The comical thing about it is how many people want laws to govern "hate speech" yet people have no idea what actually constitutes "Hate Speech"

This sensitizing of college students today is a huge problem. Yes, it would be nice if people were nice and treated everyone with respect, but it is cruel world out there and college is a perfect time for young adults to start learning this lesson and developing coping skills. They are adults, people will be mean sometimes and say things that may not be nice, instead of sulking and complaining about some micro aggression nonsense it would be more beneficial for them to learn to move on from it instead of trying to find a way to be offended (because someone told them they should be)

The comical thing about it is how many people want laws to govern "hate speech" yet people have no idea what actually constitutes "Hate Speech"

This sensitizing of college students today is a huge problem. Yes, it would be nice if people were nice and treated everyone with respect, but it is cruel world out there and college is a perfect time for young adults to start learning this lesson and developing coping skills. They are adults, people will be mean sometimes and say things that may not be nice, instead of sulking and complaining about some micro aggression nonsense it would be more beneficial for them to learn to move on from it instead of trying to find a way to be offended (because someone told them they should be)

The whole idea of basically competing to see who can be the easiest and most "offended" isn't just asinine, it's dangerous.

If very small and tightly defined minority groups are given a veto over things they claim to be "offensive", why can't fundamentalist Christians or radical Muslims claim the same perogatives?

People on both sides have seem to forget the concept of the US being a "Melting Pot"

We have too many people on the right who seek to divide by wanting to promote nationalism and fight against immigration which is what has made our country great over its history.

Conversely, we have too many morons on the left that seek to divide people by teaching them that they and their small factions or groups are greater than the whole. The left has forgotten that we are not a country of black, white, Asian, Latino, etc who battle it our for power and interest but rather we are one country United together who should celebrate common interests instead of seeking to point out each others differences to a fault.

People on both sides have seem to forget the concept of the US being a "Melting Pot"

We're not really a "Melting Pot" though, more of a vegetable stew.  It's not like immigrants come here and suddenly become "Americanized."  Think of all the cultural restaurants, shops, festivals, etc. - Mexican, Indian, Italian, German, etc.  People still hold on to their culture within America, whatever that may be.  Food, drink, music, clothes, worship, customs.  And that's fine, that's what it's supposed to be like in America.

You don't come here and then suddenly stop doing what you like to do or eating the foods you like to eat.  You might absorb some of the broth (in the stew analogy) but you still retain what made you who you were in the first place.

Very Stable Genius

^ That stew is what creates American culture. It does not mean we cant celebrate diversity and maintain individual culture and traits, however, we must keep in mind that we are all Americans first and while we celebrate our diversity, we realize that we are better together. We don't break down amongst feminists, latinos, Asian Americans, etc jockey for position over who gets what.

There is a difference between celebrating diversity and splitting into an us vs them factions and that is a lot of what is happening now and it is not solely the fault of the Republicans or Donald Trump, both sides share in this culture war equally. No one can claim moral high ground here.

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clinton’s voters agree that it’s “hard” to be friends with Donald Trump’s voters. However, only 34% of Trump’s voters feel the same way about Clinton’s. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters don’t think it’s hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

So are NFL players not being politically correct?  They are trying to have a conversation that Trump doesn't want to have.  If political correctness silences discussions we need to have, why are people trying to silence them?

Mobs who seek to silence dissent are rarely, if ever, on the right side of history.

Except of course Trump and his mob at Fox News trying to silence the dissent of NFL players.  They are clearly on the right side of history, right?

You tell em!  Black people - don't be so thin skinned when people are racist, get over it!  Gay people, who cares if people are homophobic and politicians like Roy Moore think being gay should be illegal, get over it! 

It's so easy for (i assume) straight white males to tell people not to be offended. 

we must keep in mind that we are all Americans first

For many people, they were XYZ citizen first or had XYZ heritage passed down from their parents who came to America.

I'm fine with them celebrating or living their life as they see fit.  They don't need to "become American."  That's...like...the entire point of America.  Freedom, liberty, etc.  As long as they pay their appropriate share of tax and follow the laws, I don't really care what they do (with a preference to being a nice, decent person of course).

Very Stable Genius

For many people, they were XYZ citizen first or had XYZ heritage passed down from their parents who came to America.

I'm fine with them celebrating or living their life as they see fit.  They don't need to "become American."  That's...like...the entire point of America.  Freedom, liberty, etc.  As long as they pay their appropriate share of tax and follow the laws, I don't really care what they do (with a preference to being a nice, decent person of course).

You seem to think that becoming an American and putting America First means you have to give up on your past culture and beliefs. That is not true and not any different than the garbage spewed by the white nationalists.  If you are a citizen, being an American first means you put the interests of your country at the forefront.

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views Theyre Afraid to Share

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clintons voters agree that its hard to be friends with Donald Trumps voters. However, only 34% of Trumps voters feel the same way about Clintons. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters dont think its hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Dont Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender peoples preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say its hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

So are NFL players not being politically correct?  They are trying to have a conversation that Trump doesn't want to have.  If political correctness silences discussions we need to have, why are people trying to silence them?

Except of course Trump and his mob at Fox News trying to silence the dissent of NFL players.  They are clearly on the right side of history, right?

You tell em!  Black people - don't be so thin skinned when people are racist, get over it!  Gay people, who cares if people are homophobic and politicians like Roy Moore think being gay should be illegal, get over it! 

It's so easy for (i assume) straight white males to tell people not to be offended. 

It is easy to go through life angry and offended and feel like you are owed something. If you don't take minor slights seriously and focus on your overall goals you will find yourself happier and able to achieve them much more than getting angry.

The questions was, "The political climate these days prevents me from saying things I believe because others might find them offensive."  The majority of people answering this poll question not named Milo Yiannopoulos have never been silenced by a mob of angry liberals or anarchists.  Most of these people are uncomfortable expressing their political opinions because in many cases those opinions are met with a stern, oftentimes emotional reaction from people harmed by that political opinion and they can't take it because they're #snowflakes.  This has nothing to do with mobs of people preventing free speech and it has everything to do with many conservatives being unable to defend their opinions publicly.  I see it all the time with my conservative family and friends.  They hold a popular conservative view because it's what they've been told to believe, but when questioned on it they are completely unable to defend the position because it's just a superficial opinion that's been imposed on them by conservative media.  Gay marriage is a good example.  When questioned on why gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married many conservatives will end up realizing that they hold this view simply because they don't like gay people.  And that upsets many of them because they have a conscience and don't really want to hate anybody.  So what's the solution?  Stop talking about it.  This isn't a strictly conservative phenomena, but it's much more pervasive on that side of the spectrum.

You seem to think that becoming an American and putting America First means you have to give up on your past culture and beliefs. That is not true and not any different than the garbage spewed by the white nationalists.  If you are a citizen, being an American first means you put the interests of your country at the forefront.

What are those interests?  That's the rub.  We don't agree on a common set of values or goals anymore. 

It is easy to go through life angry and offended and feel like you are owed something. If you don't take minor slights seriously and focus on your overall goals you will find yourself happier and able to achieve them much more than getting angry.

If you are a gay Alabamaian your state just elected a Senator who says you should be jailed for being gay.  Please tell those people to not be angry or offended.

Very Stable Genius

Who dictates the "interests" of America?  Congress?  The citizens?  Apparently, America's interest (as dictated by #45 and #cult45) is to withdraw from the Paris Accord, revert back to coal, and further our pollution of planet.  Do I stop recycling?

Apparently, America's interest is to block access to all Muslims entering our country right now.  For those Muslims in America who have family members who can't come and see them, should they put America's interests first?

The Commander in Chief doesn't want transgender people serving in the military.  If you're transgender and wanted to serve to defend your country, what are you to do?

I could go on, but the point is there is no set of common interests or goals as far as I'm aware.  So I don't really know what you mean when you say, "If you are a citizen, being an American first means you put the interests of your country at the forefront."  It just sounds like more nationalism b.s.

Very Stable Genius

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views Theyre Afraid to Share

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clintons voters agree that its hard to be friends with Donald Trumps voters. However, only 34% of Trumps voters feel the same way about Clintons. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters dont think its hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Dont Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender peoples preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say its hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

If you are a gay Alabamaian your state just elected a Senator who says you should be jailed for being gay.  Please tell those people to not be angry or offended.

I am happy to do so. SOmetimes shit happens. You can pout and cry about it and say life is unfair, or you can make the best of it and deal with it. You control your reactions. Successful people don't let these things stand in their way. So if you are a gay Alabaman who does not like Roy Moore, don't pout about it, do something, move if need be, but don't use his election as a crutch to keep you down.

^ That's like telling Jews to not let Hitler being in power keep them down.

You say "do something"... well raising one's voice and saying "THIS ISN'T OK" IS DOING SOMETHING!!!

^ not exactly, being pissed off and angry is not productive and will not really get you results. When I say do something, I mean do something that will achieve results

True that, but anger is hardly inappropriate when someone openly attacks you.  The fact that the attack is also an opinion changes nothing.  It's still an attack, and the attacker should accept personal responsibility for it. 

^ that would be nice in a perfect world to have the attacker accept responsibility, but while the victim may deserve it, they should not have an expectation of the attacker accepting responsibility so therefore, the victim needs to move on with their life and try to be as productive as possible without any expectation that the attacker will admit responsibility. If it happens, then great, but to wait for it is not productive in the least bit.

You seem to be arguing against safe spaces, and I'm with you there to an extent, but the version of personal responsibility you're advancing does not mesh with other common applications of that concept.  You're shifting all responsibility from the speaker to the audience.  But regardless of what the victims should do, the attacker's guilt remains.  Claiming "PC" does not absolve it.  The attack still took place and the attacker is still responsible-- even in a perfectly normal world.