Sign in to follow this  
Ram23

Political Correctness

I'm sure that they study the military strategies of Mao and Stalin and Hitler at our military schools, but they don't "honor" them with statues. 

There is absolutely nothing good that came out of the confederacy.  It was just the wealthy trying to preserve an English-style aristocracy dependent on cheap farm labor.  As they do now, that era's wealthy tricked middle and lower class whites into thinking something other then the landed gentry was the problem. 

Nobody is arguing that he was on the wrong side of history however, to go back to the time and argue he is to the level of Hitler and Stalin is absurd.  Sitting in the year 2017 and having someone defend the Confederacy and fight for its right to exist is morally wrong, however, when you look at the man and judgment from the 1860's perspective, and perspective of how the US was viewed, you can at least understand how he would make the wrong choice. 

Contrast this to Hitler and Stalin who by 1930's standards were brutal barbarians. Putting Lee to that level is just absurd

Um... except for the fact that there were plenty of people in Lee's time and long before him that considered slavery to be morally abhorrent and were condemning it left and right.  Southerners absolutely despised Lincoln for his positions against the practice.  So to say that Lee was merely a product of his time is intellectually dishonest.  He was well aware of how many people opposed slavery and what the foundations of the Confederacy were, and simply chose to support them, and not a man caught up in some difficult choice between state loyalty and his own conscience. 

Morally abhorrent by today's standards and 1860s standards are 2 different things. Today, you don't have anyone but a far right wing racist defending the practice of slavery. It would have been much more nuanced in the 1860s. Clearly the tide of the nation and world was moving against slavery as an morally perverse practice, however, given the agrarian nature of the South, you could see why people would have found justification for it at that time.

Also, again, Lee was not necessarily pro or anti slavery. He was a Virginian first and fighting for Virginia. People at that time did not think of the United States the same way you or I think about it, we were not all Americans, we were Virginians and Ohioans first and then Americans second. Today, the thinking is flipped where we are Americans first and Ohioans/Virginians second. The ironic thing is that had Lee been from Kentucky or Maryland, he would still have been a slave owner yet he would have commanded the Union Army and people would not be having this debate about his character.'

My point is, while it is indeed a huge character flaw that he was on the wrong side of history, lets keep things in perspective. Hitler/Stalin, this man is not, just like he is also not Pope Francis either. Even without the Civil War, he was someone who was doing important things toward shaping our country through his military background. I agree, we do not need huge parks to honor him like they have in the South. These are less about honoring Lee the man and more about seeking to intimidate. However, castigating Lee as a villain and traitor and one of the true evil people who has ever lived in the world is not accurate and not true to history either.  It is nuanced and we need to recognize that.

I don't think it was any secret at the time that the plantation system and the South's pseudo-aristocracy would crumble without dirt-cheap slave labor.  It's what enabled the plantation owners to become fabulously wealthy and exact complete control over the southern political system -- control so absolute that they compelled hundreds of thousands of whites to go to war to defend their layabout lifestyles. 

Our wannabe aristocracy fell decades before the Labour Party rose and destroyed its model in the old country.  Tough to keep up a big house when you actually have to pay the people who maintain it:

img615.jpg

The ESPN thing, IMO, is not PC.  What it seems to me is that some people really seemed to have no real concept of what the ongoing controversy is with Confederate statues, etc.  Simply inadvertently having the same name as a Confederate soldier or general is not in and of itself offensive, and it's ridiculous to suggest that it would be.  This is, for me, a very poor attempted application of what a few people thought was a good PC choice when instead it is an example of a group of people who really have no idea about the context of current events nor the actual goal of the PC movement.  Overall, though, it's not that big a deal, and I find it interesting that this is something that gets the Right into a frenzy of outrage, but NOT real offenses like honoring traitors and people fighting for the subjugation of black people. 

I think the ESPN gaffe is a perfect example of PC culture, or, more specifically, the results of PC culture (which again, is not about common decency, etiquette, and politeness, but the attempt to move the goalposts significance in order to redefine those terms in a manner that more perfectly aligns with the identity politics of the left - in short, feigning offense at things that shouldn't offend any rational, intelligent person). So, ESPN can try to dress it up however they want to, but it all started with a higher up somewhere believing that having a guy named "Robert Lee" announce a football game in Virginia would offend people. Would it have? We will never know.

Also, the irony missed by ESPN is that in order to not offend people they sent Robert Lee up into Pennsylvania from Virginia.

it all started with a higher up somewhere believing that having a guy named "Robert Lee" announce a football game in Virginia would offend people. .

If you, ya know, ignore what ESPN said about why they made the switch.

But I guess that wouldn't fit your narrative now would it?

Very Stable Genius

^ ESPN made presumptions based on some implicit bias they had and acted upon it. Their intentions may have been pure, and nothing would have come from it if a disgruntled employee not leaked the info to Clay Travis, but the fact that they considered that the announcers name should even be an issue is completely absurd. The fact that they were concerned for the announcer's well being because some idiot might make a Meme about Robert Lee calling the UVA game is just purely absurd and giving ESPN the benefit of the doubt, you would have to question the wisdom of the people who make the decision. This is not like it was a big game. It is UVA for God sakes, nobody watches UVA football on a good day, nobody will be watching them play William and Mary. The fact that they felt all these people would see Robert Lee calling the UVA game and relate his name to the Charlottesville march just borders on the ridiculous. Even if one or 2 people do and make a Meme out of it anyone who has their feelings hurt because someone made a Meme out of them does not belong on TV.

The sad thing about ESPN's excuse is that they turned something that was a non-issue into something that people will make Meme's out of now. You seriously need to question the leadership's collective wisdom at ESPN. They turned themselves and the good broadcaster they were looking to protect into a punchline.

Presuming the internal memo is true, this story is being vastly overblown. According to the internal memo, "Since Robert was their primary concern, they consulted with him directly. He expressed some personal trepidation about the assignment and, when offered the chance to do the Youngstown State/Pitt game instead, opted for that game -- in part because he lives in Albany and would be able to get home to his family on Saturday evening."

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/900510313338077185/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fcollege-football%2F2017%2F8%2F24%2F16194950%2Fespn-robert-lee-virginia-game

Until I hear otherwise and that ESPN pressured or coerced Robert Lee to skip the show, well, what the f is all the fuss about? It seems the choice was his.

^Seems like nothing more than feigning offense at something that shouldn't offend any rational, intelligent person.  Political correctness run amuck.

^ It goes back to the way ESPN handled it from the beginning. Instead of just doing the change and saying the announcer preferred the game for family reasons to be able to get home easier after the game, they played into the initial narrative  by saying they did it to protect Lee from scrutiny and potential harmful or offensive behavior by fans who may make fun of him for his name.

While they may have had an internal discussion to that effect, there were other legitimate reasons for moving him, and that piece of dirty laundry did not need airing. When the news was leaked to Travis, who enjoys poking ESPN, they could have just come out with a statement that he was moved for family reasons to be able to get home easier after the game and that it was absurd that he would switch games because of his name and the Charlottesville riots. THis would have put an end to it.

Instead, they chose responded in the tone deaf way they did and they make Lee and themselves look like giant fools.

^Okay.  Assuming all that is true, the blowback is STILL feigning offense at things that shouldn't offend any rational, intelligent person

^Okay.  Assuming all that is true, the blowback is STILL feigning offense at things that shouldn't offend any rational, intelligent person

Aka snowflakes.

Very Stable Genius

People react in different ways, but I think the blowback was more to do with ESPN's shift into politics instead of pure sports. Plus look at how the story came out. The original story was that he was pulled for having the same name as the general, which people find ridiculous and overboard.

People overreacted yes, but ESPN should also be embarrassed by how they handled it too.

^ He wouldn't have had to, no one in their right mind would care, at all.

The sad thing about ESPN's excuse is that they turned something that was a non-issue into something that people will make Meme's out of now. You seriously need to question the leadership's collective wisdom at ESPN. They turned themselves and the good broadcaster they were looking to protect into a punchline.

Yeah, it's in Streisand Effect territory now. No one would have cared - but memes are like snakes or big cats: once you show that you're afraid of them, they strike:

robert-lee-1-768x386.jpg

People react in different ways, but I think the blowback was more to do with ESPN's shift into politics instead of pure sports. Plus look at how the story came out. The original story was that he was pulled for having the same name as the general, which people find ridiculous and overboard.

People overreacted yes, but ESPN should also be embarrassed by how they handled it too.

Okay.  Even if I agree with you on all points, my comment still stands.  Ironic, isn't it, that the members of this forum who get so hot and bothered by PC culture are the main culprits of it?

Wait, who is supposed to be offended, liberals or conservatives?

I'm a liberal and I hadn't even heard about the issue until a conservative started whining about it.

^ I don't know why you keep insisting people are "outraged" or "whining." I'm mostly just pointing a finger at ESPN and laughing. Maybe I should use more emoticons.

Okay.  Even if I agree with you on all points, my comment still stands.  Ironic, isn't it, that the members of this forum who get so hot and bothered by PC culture are the main culprits of it?

People have always been offended by the smallest slights no matter what it is. THe only difference is now people either actually do or pretend to care about people being offended over meaningless crap that it amplifies it. 20 years ago people just moved on and ignored the idiots yelling in the corner.

^ I don't know why you keep insisting people are "outraged" or "whining." I'm mostly just pointing a finger at ESPN and laughing. Maybe I should use more emoticons.

May I suggest a few?

:whip:  :x  :-( :shoot:

The MSM likes to eat itself for reasons having little to do with politics.  All of them supported Kerry in '04, but that stopped none of them from jumping on CBS News when their "scoop" turned out to be based on forgery.

I have to admit the ESPN handling of the Robert Lee thing is quite stupid.

I would hope most viewers would be bright enough to realize there are Americans capable of having this name and these individuals can live in the South or interact with the region. If there is an offended group out there about this issue they're idiots and need to be outed.

No argument that ESPN makes lousy personnel decisions. You just have to watch their on air anchors to get that. I just think this whole thing is a complete waste of air. If he called the game, NBD. Instead they moved him to a different game. Again, NBD. It's not like they fired him or but him in a back room analyst position.

But, when you're paid for the number of hot takes you put out....I guess you gotta find as much fuel as you can. The whole thing is exhausting. I want to take a 4 year nap.

^^ There's a documentary called "Meet the Hitlers" about people who have the unfortunate circumstance of having the name "Hitler." It's okay, the name of the film is probably the most compelling part. Obviously, having a last name "Hitler" would be rough, but what's interesting about "Robert Lee" is that it went from being perfectly fine - a name that would not have stood out to many people at all - to potentially offensive almost overnight. "Robert" is the third most common name in America and "Lee" is the 24th most common surname, so there's got to be thousands of "Robert Lees" out there suddenly thinking "oh crap" or slowly converting to "Bob."

^^ There's a documentary called "Meet the Hitlers" about people who have the unfortunate circumstance of having the name "Hitler." It's okay, the name of the film is probably the most compelling part. Obviously, having a last name "Hitler" would be rough, but what's interesting about "Robert Lee" is that it went from being perfectly fine - a name that would not have stood out to many people at all - to potentially offensive almost overnight. "Robert" is the third most common name in America and "Lee" is the 24th most common surname, so there's got to be thousands of "Robert Lees" out there suddenly thinking "oh crap" or slowly converting to "Bob."

And no one at all cares about the name "Jeff Davis".

No argument that ESPN makes lousy personnel decisions. You just have to watch their on air anchors to get that. I just think this whole thing is a complete waste of air. If he called the game, NBD. Instead they moved him to a different game. Again, NBD. It's not like they fired him or but him in a back room analyst position.

But, when you're paid for the number of hot takes you put out....I guess you gotta find as much fuel as you can. The whole thing is exhausting. I want to take a 4 year nap.

Lets call it as it is. If someone named Mohammed Atta was removed from calling a NY Giants or Jets game when the NFL restarted after 9/11 there would have been howls of outrage from every group that now calls the Robert Lee instance "overblown".

It's not a hot take to call this a stupid decision. It's a fact and should be spotlighted.

Those who demand we say nothing about climate at a time like this are enforcing the worst kind of political correctness.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

This one is pretty telling:

British conductor sacked by US music festival after 'innocent' joke with his African-American friend was labelled racist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/09/british-conductor-sacked-us-music-festival-joke-labelled-racist/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Matthew Halls was removed as artistic director of the Oregon Bach Festival following an incident in which he imitated a southern American accent while talking to his longstanding friend, the African-American classical singer Reginald Mobley.

It is understood a white woman who overheard the joke reported it to officials at the University of Oregon, which runs the festival, claiming it amounted to a racial slur.

“I’m from the deep south and Matthew often makes fun of the southern accent just as I often make fun of his British accent,” said Mobley. “Race was not an issue. He was imitating a southern accent, not putting on a black accent, and there was nothing racist or malicious about it.”

An internal inquiry into the incident is understood to have been held as a result of the complaint.

However, Mobley was not invited to give evidence and he says there is a deep irony in the fact the authorities appear to have assumed on his behalf that he would have objected to the joke.

“I’m the subject of a falsified story, without having the chance to have my say,” he said. “My voice has been taken away in a conversation about race that involved me, and technically that’s racist.”

It seems to me like this white woman felt the need to be insulted on his behalf and the university concurred and assumed, without asking him, that he must have been hurt by the words. He summed it up nicely by pointing out who the real racists are here - white, ultra-liberals (especially in academia) who constantly misdiagnose situations in order to fulfill their self righteous desire to "protect" people they view as victims.

Those who demand we say nothing about climate at a time like this are enforcing the worst kind of political correctness.

Hurricanes and the weather are not caused by climate change. There are more important issues. We are humans and we will adapt. I for one will not lose sleep over the climate.

Right after a heart attack is no time to talk about your smoking and daily consumption of a Big Mac and fries. There is no evidence that this heart attack happened specifically because of those things...you could've been genetically predisposed. Lalalalalala

Hurricanes and the weather are not caused by climate change. There are more important issues. We are humans and we will adapt. I for one will not lose sleep over the climate.

This statement right here is exactly the problem. No one is saying that hurricanes and weather are caused by climate change. They're specifically saying that the storms are going to become more frequent and intense. You can clearly see that with Harvey, Irma (and possibly Jose) within a two-week span. It's going beyond just hurricanes though and extends to droughts, flash flooding, etc.

Since when did we as a society start accepting the "We'll adapt" mentality? We can solve this problem, and we should rather than giving up. I'm sure you're anti-terrorism, and I'm sure it's because you're not a fan of people dying. Should we rather do nothing about terrorism and stop spending an ungodly amount of money to prevent attacks and adapt to it as a common occurrence in life? You're more likely to die from a natural disaster than you are from terrorism, and that number will only increase with a higher frequency of natural events.

There is no link between the temperature record and hurricanes. This is a scientific fact backed up by data. Hurricane seasons globally (including this current one with Irma) are no worse than they were 50 years ago. The idea that people are starting to think seasons are getting increasingly dangerous is more disturbing to me than the storms themselves. It's another example of how social media acts as an agent to distort the truth.

There's a metric called the ACE (Accumulated Cyclone Energy) Index which measures the strength of each hurricane. Those totals are added up for each hurricane/cyclone region/season. The data shows that there has been no real movement in upward or downward in the total amount of energy each year. The 1965 Hurricane/Cyclone cycle is roughly the same as in 2017.

It may seem "worse" because we have more access to data than ever before. Also people are increasingly living on or near coastlines.

"Adapting" generally involves losing some metaphorical sleep and working until you figure out a solution to a problem...

There are a lot of interesting survey results here:

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

Some of the extra tidbits I found interesting:

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clinton’s voters agree that it’s “hard” to be friends with Donald Trump’s voters. However, only 34% of Trump’s voters feel the same way about Clinton’s. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters don’t think it’s hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Don’t Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

^I love the chart in the link that shows that liberals feel much more comfortable than conservatives when expressing their political views.  I'm sorry, but if you don't feel comfortable expressing your political opinion maybe you should reevaluate those beliefs.  You are uncomfortable discussing them for a reason.

Think, for a minute, about what that reason might be.

Mobs who seek to silence dissent are rarely, if ever, on the right side of history.

The comical thing about it is how many people want laws to govern "hate speech" yet people have no idea what actually constitutes "Hate Speech"

This sensitizing of college students today is a huge problem. Yes, it would be nice if people were nice and treated everyone with respect, but it is cruel world out there and college is a perfect time for young adults to start learning this lesson and developing coping skills. They are adults, people will be mean sometimes and say things that may not be nice, instead of sulking and complaining about some micro aggression nonsense it would be more beneficial for them to learn to move on from it instead of trying to find a way to be offended (because someone told them they should be)

The comical thing about it is how many people want laws to govern "hate speech" yet people have no idea what actually constitutes "Hate Speech"

This sensitizing of college students today is a huge problem. Yes, it would be nice if people were nice and treated everyone with respect, but it is cruel world out there and college is a perfect time for young adults to start learning this lesson and developing coping skills. They are adults, people will be mean sometimes and say things that may not be nice, instead of sulking and complaining about some micro aggression nonsense it would be more beneficial for them to learn to move on from it instead of trying to find a way to be offended (because someone told them they should be)

The whole idea of basically competing to see who can be the easiest and most "offended" isn't just asinine, it's dangerous.

If very small and tightly defined minority groups are given a veto over things they claim to be "offensive", why can't fundamentalist Christians or radical Muslims claim the same perogatives?

People on both sides have seem to forget the concept of the US being a "Melting Pot"

We have too many people on the right who seek to divide by wanting to promote nationalism and fight against immigration which is what has made our country great over its history.

Conversely, we have too many morons on the left that seek to divide people by teaching them that they and their small factions or groups are greater than the whole. The left has forgotten that we are not a country of black, white, Asian, Latino, etc who battle it our for power and interest but rather we are one country United together who should celebrate common interests instead of seeking to point out each others differences to a fault.

People on both sides have seem to forget the concept of the US being a "Melting Pot"

We're not really a "Melting Pot" though, more of a vegetable stew.  It's not like immigrants come here and suddenly become "Americanized."  Think of all the cultural restaurants, shops, festivals, etc. - Mexican, Indian, Italian, German, etc.  People still hold on to their culture within America, whatever that may be.  Food, drink, music, clothes, worship, customs.  And that's fine, that's what it's supposed to be like in America.

You don't come here and then suddenly stop doing what you like to do or eating the foods you like to eat.  You might absorb some of the broth (in the stew analogy) but you still retain what made you who you were in the first place.

Very Stable Genius

^ That stew is what creates American culture. It does not mean we cant celebrate diversity and maintain individual culture and traits, however, we must keep in mind that we are all Americans first and while we celebrate our diversity, we realize that we are better together. We don't break down amongst feminists, latinos, Asian Americans, etc jockey for position over who gets what.

There is a difference between celebrating diversity and splitting into an us vs them factions and that is a lot of what is happening now and it is not solely the fault of the Republicans or Donald Trump, both sides share in this culture war equally. No one can claim moral high ground here.

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clinton’s voters agree that it’s “hard” to be friends with Donald Trump’s voters. However, only 34% of Trump’s voters feel the same way about Clinton’s. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters don’t think it’s hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Don’t Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

So are NFL players not being politically correct?  They are trying to have a conversation that Trump doesn't want to have.  If political correctness silences discussions we need to have, why are people trying to silence them?

Mobs who seek to silence dissent are rarely, if ever, on the right side of history.

Except of course Trump and his mob at Fox News trying to silence the dissent of NFL players.  They are clearly on the right side of history, right?

You tell em!  Black people - don't be so thin skinned when people are racist, get over it!  Gay people, who cares if people are homophobic and politicians like Roy Moore think being gay should be illegal, get over it! 

It's so easy for (i assume) straight white males to tell people not to be offended. 

we must keep in mind that we are all Americans first

For many people, they were XYZ citizen first or had XYZ heritage passed down from their parents who came to America.

I'm fine with them celebrating or living their life as they see fit.  They don't need to "become American."  That's...like...the entire point of America.  Freedom, liberty, etc.  As long as they pay their appropriate share of tax and follow the laws, I don't really care what they do (with a preference to being a nice, decent person of course).

Very Stable Genius

we must keep in mind that we are all Americans first

For many people, they were XYZ citizen first or had XYZ heritage passed down from their parents who came to America.

I'm fine with them celebrating or living their life as they see fit.  They don't need to "become American."  That's...like...the entire point of America.  Freedom, liberty, etc.  As long as they pay their appropriate share of tax and follow the laws, I don't really care what they do (with a preference to being a nice, decent person of course).

You seem to think that becoming an American and putting America First means you have to give up on your past culture and beliefs. That is not true and not any different than the garbage spewed by the white nationalists.  If you are a citizen, being an American first means you put the interests of your country at the forefront.

Poll: 71% of Americans Say Political Correctness Has Silenced Discussions Society Needs to Have, 58% Have Political Views Theyre Afraid to Share

- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of Hillary Clintons voters agree that its hard to be friends with Donald Trumps voters. However, only 34% of Trumps voters feel the same way about Clintons. Instead, nearly two-thirds (64%) of Trump voters dont think its hard to be friends with Clinton voters.

- People of Color Dont Find Most Microaggressions Offensive

- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender peoples preferred gender pronouns.

- 80% of liberals say its hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.

So are NFL players not being politically correct?  They are trying to have a conversation that Trump doesn't want to have.  If political correctness silences discussions we need to have, why are people trying to silence them?

Except of course Trump and his mob at Fox News trying to silence the dissent of NFL players.  They are clearly on the right side of history, right?

You tell em!  Black people - don't be so thin skinned when people are racist, get over it!  Gay people, who cares if people are homophobic and politicians like Roy Moore think being gay should be illegal, get over it! 

It's so easy for (i assume) straight white males to tell people not to be offended. 

It is easy to go through life angry and offended and feel like you are owed something. If you don't take minor slights seriously and focus on your overall goals you will find yourself happier and able to achieve them much more than getting angry.