Guest KJP

Cleveland: New Police Headquarters

But the YMCA already has a location at Erieview. What facilities are at the PD building? Just offices?

Considering how much the city was willing to put into this project, wouldn't it roughly equate building a new building?

Limited locations in the city to accommodate the surface parking needs that the PD has.  A parking structure could work for some of the cars but not for all the trailers, trucks, etc.  Also, the timeline is critical.  County is charging monthly overages as the CPD stays.  This 1801 Superior location really made a lot of sense.  Bizarre that it seems to be falling apart

Putting on my tin-foil conspiracy hat:  Is there a Gilbert property that can accommodate CPD headquarters?

That's really sad.  I feel bad for the police & staff that are stuck in outdated cramped space.  I feel bad for the folks that have been working diligently behind the scenes to pull this together.  It seems shocking they can't get this deal done after making it a priority for the last 18 months....  I hope it's just a smoke screen and they can get it back together quickly

That's really sad.  I feel bad for the police & staff that are stuck in outdated cramped space.  I feel bad for the folks that have been working diligently behind the scenes to pull this together.  It seems shocking they can't get this deal done after making it a priority for the last 18 months....  I hope it's just a smoke screen and they can get it back together quickly

Maybe if they didn’t waste tens of millions of dollars on police misconduct a $60 million investment wouldn’t be so risky. I’m not sure why they would want to invest in the police force if they’re going to keep beating and killing people.

“ “This was a $60 million project. That’s a lot of dough. A lot of money. [Mayor Frank Jackson’s office] needs to explain this us,” Polensek said. “There might be something very valid but until they tell us at the table, we’re all speculating.” ”

Maybe if they didn’t waste tens of millions of dollars on police misconduct a $60 million investment wouldn’t be so risky. I’m not sure why they would want to invest in the police force if they’re going to keep beating and killing people.

“ “This was a $60 million project. That’s a lot of dough. A lot of money. [Mayor Frank Jackson’s office] needs to explain this us,” Polensek said. “There might be something very valid but until they tell us at the table, we’re all speculating.” ”

Unrelated. Insurance pays for one cost. Capital/public works budget pays for the other. Intermingling fund accounts is illegal.

This project will move forward. YMCA was the problem. Not the city.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Is there a list of the five finalist sites and what their projected costs are?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

This story is not getting the public outcry it deserves.  The City is pay $7,845 per day to operate within the existing Justice Center, now owned by the County.  That's $240,000 per month.

On top of that, the City already pulled the necessary bonds to do this $60 million deal at the PD location and is paying on that.  

So they essentially have a mortgage on a house they haven't moved into and are paying rent at a high rate to a LL.

The PD location was selected over the others for a variety of reasons.  It is just a better location.  Having a tenant or two in the way is small potatoes.  Relocate them.  They can probably get better space for same money.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 327 said:

I'm confused about how these long-term tenants managed to sneak up on everybody. 

I"m only aware of the YMCA of Greater Cleveland.  Not sure what their lease language contained on being relocated but it's pretty common.  And given the relationship/dependence on the City for funding, I can't fathom why a deal wasn't struck.  It's not like this is some privately owned IT firm or something that had a lot of infrastructure and couldn't afford the downtime of a relocation....

1 minute ago, gottaplan said:

I"m only aware of the YMCA of Greater Cleveland.  Not sure what their lease language contained on being relocated but it's pretty common.  And given the relationship/dependence on the City for funding, I can't fathom why a deal wasn't struck.  It's not like this is some privately owned IT firm or something that had a lot of infrastructure and couldn't afford the downtime of a relocation....

Speaking of IT companies, is MCPC still located in that building or is it just YMCA?

Sounds like the YMCA offices would be a good fit for the Galleria with their brand new flagship facility there. In fact, before the CPD HQ was announced for the PD building, I thought YMCA had already moved their offices to the Galleria.

13 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

Sounds like the YMCA offices would be a good fit for the Galleria with their brand new flagship facility there. In fact, before the CPD HQ was announced for the PD building, I thought YMCA had already moved their offices to the Galleria.

That would make a LOT of sense.  And has been suggested by many folks involved in the deal.  They could probably get better space and cheaper rents too

• Like 1

As promised...my third article in as many days. And all of them pretty major developments! So much is happening!!

Central+Police+Station-Aug2016.JPG

SATURDAY, MAY 4, 2019

Old CPD station? New CPD station

Trying to repurpose an existing building in or near downtown Cleveland for the city's new police headquarters was a well-intentioned exercise with a cost-saving goal. Despite it not being fulfilled, the effort may still have a happy ending. The reason is the police department may go back to its old home.

After rejecting two existing buildings downtown, city officials are reportedly interested in locating the new Cleveland Police Department headquarters at the site of the 1937-built Central Police Station, 2001 Payne Ave., according to source who could not speak publicly about the project because he was not authorized to do so.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/old-cpd-station-new-cpd-station.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

^I really hope this happens and has been my preferred option all along. Brings some energy further east in downtown and also repurposes what I think is a beautiful old building. 

• Like 2

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

I'm trying to find out the location but all sources are still mum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, marty15 said:

Wondering if 45 Erieview is a candidate. I believe it has a large underground garage.

I'm also wondering if the Frangos-owned lots down by Prospect and East 14th might be a possibility for a new-construction CPD HQ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Is a new building on city-owned property near the old HQ on Payne, still in the running?

I asked a source about it a few weeks ago and he said no. He didn't know where the new site would be, either. 

• Thanks 1

I've heard from a very reputable High placed corporate relocation expert that Atlanta is in the running.

Also Columbus has put in a bid(see failed Amazon proposal)

• Like 8
  • Haha 22

4 minutes ago, freethink said:

I've heard from a very reputable High placed corporate relocation expert that Atlanta is in the running.

BRILLIANTLY DONE SIR!! 🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I still don;t understand why they backed out of the Plain Dealer Building deal.  That was a great location IMO.

There was a PD article, iirc, within the past week or 2, that said there were still several long leases (~2030) in the PD building to other companies that couldn't be broken or same companies/organizations wanted too much $ to break their leases.

Edited by skorasaurus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, freefourur said:

I still don;t understand why they backed out of the Plain Dealer Building deal.  That was a great location IMO.

Maybe it was a security issue.   Perhaps they want a building that is more fortified.

27 minutes ago, KJP said:

I asked a source about it a few weeks ago and he said no. He didn't know where the new site would be, either. 

I love the classic design of that building.  It was the HQ when I was a kid.

36 minutes ago, freethink said:

Sorry you got it all wrong.  Per the rumor in the Cleveland Clinic thread the police department is moving to Ft. Lauderdale and will be next door to the Clinic which is moving its headquarters there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Sorry you got it all wrong.  Per the rumor in the Cleveland Clinic thread the police department is moving to Ft. Lauderdale and will be next door to the Clinic which is moving its headquarters there.

They're already in Weston (Fort Lauderdale suburb) and recently purchased a health system in Martin County (north of Palm Beach).

Edited by Frmr CLEder

Just now, CbusTransit said:

It will be built on the opportunity corridor at East 79

Interesting.... Hope it will be somewhat vertical rather than all spread-out in 1-2 story buildings with a ton of surface lots.

• Like 1

Thanks. Wonder if this also means that this site will be favored by the county for its new consolidated jail facility?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Htsguy said:

That last part isn't too far fetched after all.  Stay tuned.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, KJP said:

Interesting.... Hope it will be somewhat vertical rather than all spread-out in 1-2 story buildings with a ton of surface lots.

And lots of landscaping which the city will fail to maintain similar to the District HQ Building on Chester.

• Like 1