Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

Yep, the crane is coming down....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

From that image it looks like they've painted the parking deck a dark grey. At first, I thought it could be darker due to the rain, but it seems like there are patches that aren't colored yet. 

30 minutes ago, ASPhotoman said:

From that image it looks like they've painted the parking deck a dark grey. At first, I thought it could be darker due to the rain, but it seems like there are patches that aren't colored yet. 

Yeah they did.  It definitely looks better than just the default concrete color.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mack34 said:

That side of the garage is going to get covered with a screen so they can project onto it

A screen? So it's not going to look like the renderings? I know they had some renderings that depicted banners, but I figured those were just temporary.

12 minutes ago, MayDay said:

Ah Ichabod, it was nice knowing you - send some friends our way soon 😉

Yes!  And come see us again when Lumen is ready for it’s second act 😃

Edited by Sapper Daddy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, B767PILOT said:

Second Tower??  Did i miss something?

No one has posted anything new - the current status is that Playhouse Square Foundation has land to develop a second project on, but nothing new has been decided publicly. Out of necessity, the leasing at the Lumen will serve as a barometer for an additional project to be justified.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, mack34 said:

the renderings show it....Its a metal screening that they will be able to project onto at night

The renderings show two different things. One has a banner and one doesn't. Is there somewhere online that describes it as a metal screening?  

@ASPhotoman, The two renderings are showing the same metal screen, one with the projection and one without. Here’s Steven Litt’s description: 

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/06/early_designs_show_playhouse_s.html

“On the plus side, the upper three levels of the garage's Euclid Avenue side will be faced by perforated metal panels designed to evoke theater curtains. At night, Playhouse Square would flood light the metal curtain with images and graphics related to ongoing shows in the district.”

I also think that this is a really good design feature. It’d be better if it was liner apartments, but the rationale from PHs for not doing that is reasonable. 

(Note that one of the review committees was able to successfully convince PHS to add shallow retail bays along Euclid after this review was published.  The vertical lines were also added later.)

Edited by Boomerang_Brian
Added tag
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

(Note that one of the review committees was able to successfully convince PHS to add shallow retail bays along Euclid after this review was published.  The vertical lines were also added later.)

Looking at it from the ground they almost certainly added retail bays into the Euclid side.  They are pretty small, I can't imagine much more than things like a coffee shop or gift shop, but they are there.

8 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

3 minutes ago, tj111 said:

Looking at it from the ground they almost certainly added retail bays into the Euclid side.  They are pretty small, I can't imagine much more than things like a coffee shop or gift shop, but they are there.

Yes, they did. The retail bays are initially 20’ deep, with the option to convert parking spaces into additional retail depth, which would make the retail bays 60’ deep.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

@ASPhotoman, The two renderings are showing the same metal screen, one with the projection and one without. Here’s Steven Litt’s description: 

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/06/early_designs_show_playhouse_s.html

“On the plus side, the upper three levels of the garage's Euclid Avenue side will be faced by perforated metal panels designed to evoke theater curtains. At night, Playhouse Square would flood light the metal curtain with images and graphics related to ongoing shows in the district.”

I also think that this is a really good design feature. It’d be better if it was liner apartments, but the rationale from PHs for not doing that is reasonable. 

Thanks! Didn't realize it was just going to be projected on the curtain design. Unless you're looking at it straight on, I can't imagine that you'll be able to see what's there from any other angle. To me, the curtain looked like it was designed in a geometric way where you could flatten the panels and it would create a flush screen that would greatly increase the viewing angle of projection. 

19 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Yes, they did. The retail bays are initially 20’ deep, with the option to convert parking spaces into additional retail depth, which would make the retail bays 60’ deep.

Good to know they can expand inward. Small or not, it's better than having a complete deadspace on such a lively part of Euclid. Heck, maybe there'll be a Lumen 2.0 leasing office in there! 😛

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

I like that they went with the smaller retail bays, that way the price point will be less per bay and allow for them to remain full at all times(as local small businesses can meet the cost as well as larger chains).

I do wish the screen on the parking garage fronting Euclid was a Digital board.  Hopefully they'll make that change, if not now, maybe in the future.

However, at least it's not bare - I'm glad they did something neat with it and included lighting!

Edited by NR
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NR said:

I like that they went with the smaller retail bays, that way the price point will be less per bay and allow for them to remain full at all times(as local small businesses can meet the cost as well as larger chains).

I do wish the screen on the parking garage fronting Euclid was a Digital board.  Hopefully they'll make that change, if not now, maybe in the future.

However, at least it's not bare - I'm glad they did something neat with it and included lighting!

I would imagine having it be a mesh screen option would help with airflow from cars being in there. 

• Like 1

Folks, we have a retail discussion thread which incidentally has quite a few posts discussing the circumstances regarding downtown Cleveland retail AND that of other cities. There's probably a thread somewhere discussing civic pride (or the lack thereof) but that has nothing to do with the actual construction details of the Lumen. In either case ...

uoshears.jpg

uobrokenrecord.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GISguy said:

IMG_20200212_075521511.jpg

Awesome pic.  Slowly but surely, the automobile abyss will be a thing of the past in downtown Cleveland.  Pictures from this angle will be as well, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RE Developer In Training said:

Do you have insight on the abyss of parking lots you took this picture from?   Definitely my most hated set of lots now that Westin/Jacobs will be gone.  But a great development opportunity indeed. 

I believe that is the Frango lot at 14th and Prospect.  @KJP has suggested they are interested in developing it but given its Frango I would not hold my breath.  It clearly will not happen without a development partner.  Just my opinion, but of all the huge lots downtown that have potential that is probably really low on the totem pole which is unfortunate as it one of the gateways from the south into downtown.

• Like 2

I wouldn't hold my breath either. Anything's possible, but Frangos so far hasn't demonstrated an ability to work with other real estate developers to advance anything on these parcels, according to developers who have attempted to work with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I rejected an apartment in the Hanna building because it looked out across Prospect at those lots. The apartment was fine, but that view is soul-destroying. No way could I look at it everyday.  

• Like 3

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican