Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

18 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Good memory - from the final renderings, it'll be 1900 ft2 initial retail that will be 20' deep, with the option to expand in the future an additional 40ft for a 3400 ft2 total.

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/08/city_wins_compromise_adding_re.html

23252318-large.png

@Foraker

I think this has been discussed before but is the parking entrance and exit on Euclid going to be strictly a right turn in and a right turn out?

26 minutes ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

Good memory - from the final renderings, it'll be 1900 ft2 initial retail that will be 20' deep, with the option to expand in the future an additional 40ft for a 3400 ft2 total.

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/08/city_wins_compromise_adding_re.html

23252318-large.png

@Foraker

I believe the potential area is 3400sqft by itself, which would bring the total to 5300sqft if it is used.

What can fit in a 20ft deep retail space?  That seems awfully shallow.

Edited by jam40jeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

I think this has been discussed before but is the parking entrance and exit on Euclid going to be strictly a right turn in and a right turn out?

It would have to be to eliminate traffic jams but, a little traffic on Euclid might not be a bad thing. It will be like it was back in the day.

^ The median on Euclid, plus not wanting to cut off the Heathline lanes, means that right in and right out is the only option. 

I agree it will be good to add a little traffic. All contributes to the vibrancy. It may also encourage some to think about alternatives to driving. OK, I’m getting silly now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Anyone wanna estimate the population growth along Euclid Avenue the past 10 years, and next year?

1. Euclid Commons (CSU)

2. The Edge

3. Lumen

4. Halle Building 

5. Athlon (CAC)

6. The 9 complex

7. 629 Lofts (formerly Rosetta)

8. Euclid Grand (JHB)

9. Beacon

10. May Company

11. Park Building 

Next up:

1. 925 Building 

2. City Club Tower

And the 2 hotels we gained since then:

1. Metropolitan 

2. The Schofield 

Total renovations:

1. The Statler 

2. Crowne Plaza Hotel (formerly The Wyndham)

3. 5th Street Arcades

All on ~EUCLID AVENUE~

Edited by marty15
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Anyone wanna estimate the population growth along Euclid Avenue the past 10 years, and next year?

1. Euclid Commons (CSU)

2. The Edge

3. Lumen

4. Halle Building 

5. Athlon (CAC)

6. The 9 complex

7. 629 Lofts (formerly Rosetta)

8. Euclid Grand (JHB)

9. Beacon

10. May Company

Next up:

1. 925 Building 

2. City Club Tower

And that’s just downtown.  It’s really impressive when you consider all of the development in UC (especially One University Circle) and MidTown (especially 3101 Euclid - unsure of the est. completion of this though).

Edited by Sapper Daddy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sapper Daddy said:

And that’s just downtown.  It’s really impressive when you consider all of the development in UC (especially One University Circle) and MidTown (especially 3101 Euclid - unsure of the est. completion of this though).

That’s just Euclid Ave downtown!

Edited by marty15

^^^If my math is correct, thats almost 2200 apartments.....Plus Hanna, and a few off of US Bank Plaza on Huron......Also Terminal Tower and East 4th apartments....Its awesome

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 8:54 AM, GISguy said:

How bout a true TBT? Here's streetview from 2009

Even that view includes some improvements on the CSU side of the street.  Progress is frustratingly slow, but Cleveland and PS are really looking good!

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 9:49 AM, Foraker said:

Even that view includes some improvements on the CSU side of the street.  Progress is frustratingly slow, but Cleveland and PS are really looking good!

Well as I've stated before, transformative development is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Like 6

On 11/2/2019 at 1:34 PM, MyTwoSense said:

Well as I've stated before, transformative development is a marathon, not a sprint.

I  concur. Slow but steady growth is more sustainable in the long run.

• Like 1

More glass but, not so sure about the white.  I agree with you regarding the need for more brightness, but can you imagine attempting to clean the facade (ie; Euclid Grand) of a white building after 50 years of exposure to the NEO elements? Having reflective glass buildings interspersed with the traditional brick and mortar could be very attractive, as the Lumen and Hilton have demonstrated.

Every new building in Miami these days is white and turquoise, white and gray or white and black, and its become boring.

Imagine how much brighter Prospect & Superior would be if the Lausche State Office Building were light reflective vs black glass.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

More glass but, not so sure about the white.  I agree with you regarding the need for more brightness, but can you imagine attempting to clean the facade (ie; Euclid Grand) of a white building after 50 years of exposure to the NEO elements? Having reflective glass buildings interspersed with the traditional brick and mortar could be very attractive, as the Lumen and Hilton have demonstrated.

Every new building in Miami these days is white and turquoise, white and gray or white and black, and its become boring.

Imagine how much brighter Prospect & Superior would be if the Lausche State Office Building were light reflective vs black glass.

National City/PNC is not looking too bad after almost 40 years. I wouldn't mind white as much as another beige building though, as I've mentioned a few times already, lol.

Something to consider. It could be that what the older buildings are dealing with are the decades of plumes coming from the industrial flats and the car exhaust from when the city was more populated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Something to consider. It could be that what the older buildings are dealing with are the decades of plumes coming from the industrial flats and the car exhaust from when the city was more populated.

I think that's what it is. I remember in the early 90s going downtown, and seeing the Terminal Tower, even though its beige, look almost black in some areas due to all the industrial activity from the decades before. A lot of that activity obviously died down 70s though 80s and what exists is cleaner now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mov2Ohio said:

I think that's what it is. I remember in the early 90s going downtown, and seeing the Terminal Tower, even though its beige, look almost black in some areas due to all the industrial activity from the decades before. A lot of that activity obviously died down 70s though 80s and what exists is cleaner now.

Perhaps one or more of the geriatric forumers, can chime in.  IIRC, one of the reasons for the building soot/staining was that our industrial areas were still functioning and so close to downtown.  When many of our buildings were built, they were not built with the modern technology we saw starting the NCB building.

I know for a fact that the SOHIO building was engineered for easy cleaning.( In addition the interior building technology was amazing, forcing your to wear your barcoded ID while on site.)  The stone used and the building was one with built-in exterior cleaning and maintenance features.  The building was cleaned, top-to-bottom) quarterly by section year round.  The front of the building and atrium were cleaned more often. Anytime there was a MNF game or event that would feature the building, the building was uplit and windows cleaned (interior and exterior) Modern cleaning apparatus is something that the TT was not built with but installed while becoming Tower City. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Perhaps one or more of the geriatric forumers, can chime in.  IIRC, one of the reasons for the building soot/staining was that our industrial areas were still functioning and so close to downtown.  When many of our buildings were built, they were not built with the modern technology we saw starting the NCB building.

I know for a fact that the SOHIO building was engineered for easy cleaning.( In addition the interior building technology was amazing, forcing your to wear your barcoded ID while on site.)  The stone used and the building was one with built-in exterior cleaning and maintenance features.  The building was cleaned, top-to-bottom) quarterly by section year round.  The front of the building and atrium were cleaned more often. Anytime there was a MNF game or event that would feature the building, the building was uplit and windows cleaned (interior and exterior) Modern cleaning apparatus is something that the TT was not built with but installed while becoming Tower City. 

Very true.  In fact, downtown as a whole had a very sooty look about it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mack34 said:

I just spent the weekend in the brand new Pierce building in Fenway neighborhood of Boston.... sure does have a Lumen vibe!! 

12732B6A-5759-45F6-BF9E-DD235C6A9C02.jpeg

E687A0E3-7A3D-4167-B75E-CDB8459AE142.jpeg

How many floors is this building?

Edited by Silent Matt

24 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I wish the neighboring US Bank building on E 14th had a lighter exterior.   It looks a bit drab.

Another example of the need for more bright reflective glass vs brown and black glass.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I wish the neighboring US Bank building on E 14th had a lighter exterior.   It looks a bit drab.

I don’t think it’s terrible on this building, although I think gold glass would be an improvement.  Something like this..

51D8BBF5-0783-4415-9C60-7A26132FE758.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Poison 1

Anything bright. With so much beige, brown and gray brick and mortar and the abundance of overcast skies, silver, gold, light blue, light gray; any bright, reflective color interspersed would brighten the city and reflect some of the architectural gems reflected in the Lumen.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, skiwest said:

I like that building especially from street level with the giant clock. It reminds me  of the wonderful post modern PPG Place in Pittsburgh by Philip Johnson. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shack said:

I like that building especially from street level with the giant clock. It reminds me  of the wonderful post modern PPG Place in Pittsburgh by Philip Johnson. 

Check out its WIki 👻