Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

How much taller will The Lumen Tower be than the Keith Building??

I've seen several different heights for both buildings. 

Including The Lumen being 396' tall with Antenna spire and the rooftop being 337' tall.

BUT I don't remember seeing a Antenna spire in any of the renderings.

The Keith Building as being 272' tall.

What's up??

Edited by Larry1962

Transformative! My favorite new Cleveland building of the century thus far - and I like the Hilton, Beacon and EY tower -along with the courthouse tower which has become one of the marquis buildings due to its location. These buildings are all symbols of Cleveland’s progress but the Lumen is the most surprising and it’s context in playhouse square puts it front and center in extending downtown and pushing our skyline east. 

• Like 5

On 10/7/2019 at 2:15 AM, CleveFan said:

Transformative! My favorite new Cleveland building of the century thus far - and I like the Hilton, Beacon and EY tower -along with the courthouse tower which has become one of the marquis buildings due to its location. These buildings are all symbols of Cleveland’s progress but the Lumen is the most surprising and it’s context in playhouse square puts it front and center in extending downtown and pushing our skyline east. 

It doesn't really extend the skyline east if you include both Rhodes and Fenn Tower which are officially  withing the downtown district boundary. 

3 minutes ago, shack said:

It doesn't really extend the skyline east if you include both Rhodes and Fenn Tower which are officially  withing the downtown district boundary. 

Agree and disagree - Looking from angles such as 490 Bridge and Tremont - the Rhodes Tower looks like an afterthought to downtown, like a tower that is kind of sort of involved in the skyline. 

Lumen extends a hand to Rhodes Tower, if you will, that will make it look more a part of downtown instead of on an island

• Like 4

Since at least the 70's,  Rhodes and Fenn Towers have been kinda sitting in the middle of nowhere; not really a part of downtown but also not really good fits in the areas immediately south and east of downtown. 

It's good to see them get some company and a fabulous addition at that!

• Like 2

Large beams just fell from the crane. Doesnt appear to be any injuries . They fell from at least 20 stories up, maybe more.

20191010_130045.jpg

Edited by tj111
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

WOAH! I hope everyone is okay. That's terrifying. Currently fire trucks and ambulances heading down Euclid, I hope it's just a precaution

The whole keith building shook, lots of screaming from the street level, but it seems like no ambulances or panic now that it's over.  There's a few beams sticking out of the ground if you look closely in that picture, as well as the one that hit the garage.

Edited by tj111
  • Like 2

Glad it doesn't seem like anyone's been hurt. I'm listening to the CFD/EMS scanner and it doesn't seem like they're panicked by any means (I'll edit this if anything changes). Granted NEO_Scan is probably everyone's best bet...

1.19PM- They're doing a headcount on site, holding off on having construction workers go in to get keys

1.20PM- Bigshot: Four large objects, one hit parking garage, assess for trapped workers, once that's completed, open euclid ave and turn the scene over.

1:26PM- All people accounted for, turning the scene over to CPD.

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 2

NE Ohio Scanner

@NEO_Scan

·

4m

u/d: roll of steel fell through, evacuating construction area to account for all workers, CSUPD assistance requested

@tj111 Hi TJ, I work at 19 News. Can we please use your photo of the garage damage on air and online? You can email us at 19tips@woio.com with the name you would like us to use as the source. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View from Euclid Ave. Street was closed off to vehicular traffic by police. North side sidewalk was open. News helicopters overhead. Very chaotic scene.

FB_IMG_1570731337360.jpg

FB_IMG_1570731342168.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

@mack34 has some pretty good photos from the construction site. He posted them on Facebook. He said he was having lunch across the street. Someone else wrote in response to his photos that "3 beams fall 24 story’s after cables snap. Goes through 1 level of parking garage floor."

MORE:

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

It was crazy!!!!  Thats the loudest boom I've heard in awhile.  We thought a bomb went off.  I'll bet the beams fell about 200'......Only damage was to the floor supports.  Me thinks that might be shut down for awhile...I'll post pics in a bit

• Like 1

OSHA gonna have some questions for Gilbane.......That's their second accident in two years.  Someone died at CSU Engineering building construction few years ago

• Sad 1
  • Poison 1

1 hour ago, CLE_Millennial said:

Hopefully this won't delay them. They should be able to fix that in a few weeks.

After the investigation which could take some time. Everything was running so smoothly until now.

43 minutes ago, shack said:

After the investigation which could take some time. Everything was running so smoothly until now.

Right, I imagine this will delay progress considerably. The repairs itself will probably less than a month, but the redtape to investigate the cause can take a considerable about of time...one would think...

None of the residential units are affected. Damage was limited to the parking garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know next to nothing about construction so asking anyone does an investigation into an incident like this shut down the entire site? If so are the workers just SOL until it picks back up or collect unemployment?

It looks just like the parking structure was damaged so @MyTwoSense no units involved.

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Right, I imagine this will delay progress considerably. The repairs itself will probably less than a month, but the redtape to investigate the cause can take a considerable about of time...one would think...

When the tower crane smashed into the Hilton during construction, work was only shut down for a couple days. 

Interior work will likely be unaffected. Though I’d expect a safety stand down tomorrow. Crews will probably be back Monday. Though the crane will probably be down longer.

Edited by marty15

there actually was little damage.  A hole thru the concrete, which can be fixed in a day.  The rest was just the  underlayment for the concrete floor.  They can put that back up in a day.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Agree and disagree - Looking from angles such as 490 Bridge and Tremont - the Rhodes Tower looks like an afterthought to downtown, like a tower that is kind of sort of involved in the skyline. 

Lumen extends a hand to Rhodes Tower, if you will, that will make it look more a part of downtown instead of on an island

What Yabo said...and I’ve said it previously - now Rhodes Tower is more connected... 

I just see things in the eyes of the military, it's actually funny believe it or not;  if it was indeed the cable that failed on its own, believe it or not Article 15's and LOR's for anybody related to the crane incident, no justification, just go with it.