Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

Sorry, but the "new" design of the Lumen would not be approved to rise in Miami, nor Miami Beach. The original would.

It doesn't have a 20 story parking garage.....it would never be approved period.

18 hours ago, CbusTransit said:

If I remember correctly, they said the sign would be projected onto the garage, but don’t quote me

You are correct that the signs will be projected onto the front facade of the three upper floors of the garage during the evening.

• Like 1

If I'm remembering correctly, There were people on the Design board who felt that the Hilton "disappears"  at times because of the glass and because it sits alone.  Thats why they asked for something to break that up.  Personally I think it was fine with the original design because all the building around it reflect off of the glass and really help it stand out.  Thankfully white stripes are only on two sides 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack34 said:

If I'm remembering correctly, There were people on the Design board who felt that the Hilton "disappears"  at times because of the glass and because it sits alone.  Thats why they asked for something to break that up.  Personally I think it was fine with the original design because all the building around it reflect off of the glass and really help it stand out.  Thankfully white stripes are only on two sides 

To the design approval board: No pink flamingos please!

2 hours ago, mack34 said:

It wouldn't be soo bad if the white strips where on opposite sides. Unfortunately, they aren't (which doesn't make sense to me, personally). I am disappointed in their lack of judgement this time and expect that they will make better design decisions in the future. 

Edited by jbee1982

2 hours ago, mack34 said:

There were people on the Design board who felt that the Hilton "disappears"  at times ...

I love the way the Hilton 'disappears'; it's a feature not a bug.  Lumen may be able to manage the disappearing act as well except for the white stripes. .

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Frmr CLEder said:

To the design approval board: No pink flamingos please!

I wonder what Playhouse Square executives and Cleveland Planning Commission are thinking about the design chose right now. 

Edited by jbee1982
Added for clarification

3 minutes ago, jbee1982 said:

I wonder what Playhouse Square executives and Cleveland Planning Commission are thinking about the design chose right now. 

They've ruined what was originally a bright, beautiful, uncluttered, pristine design.

• Dislike 2

That's an impressive angle. The gray skies actually make this angle even more impressive.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

On 9/2/2019 at 10:13 AM, Frmr CLEder said:

They've ruined what was originally a bright, beautiful, uncluttered, pristine design.

I'm not shedding any tears over "ruining" the design of an 80's Ray Ban Modernism Revival building.  It's ultimately an empty style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, X said:

I'm not shedding any tears over "ruining" the design of an 80's Ray Ban Modernism Revival building.  It's ultimately an empty style.

The fact that it's even being built is amazing. Better to build something bright and reflective vs another drab brown or beige building. The days of the industrial valley soot and smoke turning all of the downtown buildings black are over. 

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

The fact that it's even being built is amazing. Better to build something bright and reflective vs another drab brown or beige building. The days of the industrial valley soot and smoke turning all of the downtown buildings black are over. 

Just the fact another apartment tower is rising is amazing. With more to come?

• Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, Dougal said:

I love the way the Hilton 'disappears'; it's a feature not a bug.  Lumen may be able to manage the disappearing act as well except for the white stripes. .

The Klingons with their cloaking device were on board with this one.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ShakerLondonATL said:

For non construction crane aficionados, is the bottom of the crane is where the roof tops out at?

No. It tops out about half way between where the top floor is now and the top of the crane.

• Like 1

The white stripes help it relate better to the adjacent limestone buildings and especially the ornamentation of the B.F. Keith building.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I just can't understand why they would only have the east-facing side with the verticle strips unless, it being at the gateway to Playhouse Square and consistent with its name, they intend to incorporate a nightime light feature.

98 years...

Edited by KJP
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire