Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

7 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

Cleveland has always looked like a real city and has since July 22, 1796. 

You sure?? Here's a photo I took of Cleveland on July 23, 1796 with the Pentax I brought from Connecticut... 😉

July 23 1796.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

33 minutes ago, KJP said:

You sure?? Here's a photo I took of Cleveland on July 23, 1796 with the Pentax I brought from Connecticut... 😉

July 23 1796.jpg

Having been born in CLE and having spent most of my adult life in NYC, I was always amazed at how, despite being a suburban commute to NYC, people from CT always sound like native Clevelanders vs others from the NE.

5 hours ago, KJP said:

July 23 1796.jpg

I’m absolutely sure! That’s when Cleveland was actually “The Forest City” because there was still forest:)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, CLE_Millennial said:

I count 27 floors. Only 7 more to go.

They were doing about two floors a week but it's slowed down.

13 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

Cleveland has always looked like a real city and has since July 22, 1796. 

Well, technically a real city since 1836–still nearly 200 years.

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

Just now, lafont said:

They were doing about two floors a week but it's slowed down.

I’d expect the Lumen to be topped off in mid/late October, if not sooner.

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

3 minutes ago, Boxtruffles said:

I’d expect the Lumen to be topped off in mid/late October, if not sooner.

Good timing to get the building glassed-in for winter and interior work.

• Like 1

I live in Tampa, but regularly follow up on the construction goings-on in Cleveland (my home town). Anyways, can anyone explain to me the point of the long vertical stripes on the building? I can't judge them in person as I am in Florida. However, does anyone (who has seen the building in person) let me know if they actually look good or just as bad as they do in the pictures? Thanks!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jbee1982 said:

I live in Tampa, but regularly follow up on the construction goings-on in Cleveland (my home town). Anyways, can anyone explain to me the point of the long vertical stripes on the building? I can't judge them in person as I am in Florida. However, does anyone (who has seen the building in person) let me know if they actually look good or just as bad as they do in the pictures? Thanks!

Here’s the original proposal:

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/06/early_designs_show_playhouse_s.html

917ADA38-526D-4487-B6A3-2B81C1B65DAE.thumb.jpeg.2736c120d3e24357e8b2574f81fd531d.jpeg

One of the review committees told them the design needed to be improved. They also told them that the garage must have first floor retail. (The original design was “display windows” in front of garage spots “that could be converted to retail.”)  Playhouse Square made changes to accommodate those requests, and the updated design was approved. 

https://www.cleveland.com/architecture/2017/08/city_wins_compromise_adding_re.html

75475AB9-663A-4AEE-937F-BA4A99767A9E.png.824d103148af75a4691be3c45eab73b2.png

D36E8D44-05AD-4243-B63D-7FB538162315.jpeg.c3052fb7635fb04a96f6cf3e58009761.jpeg

I think the updates are a big improvement. I do not expect it to be on the short list of best Cleveland buildings, but it will be a very nice addition to the city. 

Edited by Boomerang_Brian
Typo
  • Like 5

Great post by Boomerang- very enlightening (pun intended) 

I know opinions will vary - I happen to think the revised design is more unique and generally dressier.  As any theatrical performer knows, better to make an impression - one way or another. The revision, to me, says “theatre district” more than “office”.  I’m sure that was the idea..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bjk said:

^The building with the little tower was the Channel 8 studios, before they moved out to the Shoreway

What year did they move to the shoreway and when was this building torn down.

29 minutes ago, simplythis said:

What year did they move to the shoreway and when was this building torn down.

They moved to 5800 South Marginal Road in November 1975. SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJW_(TV)

WJW's previous location was the Esquire Theater, 1630 Euclid Ave. The theater opened in 1928 as The Cinema, later became The Lake theater, closed in May 1951 as The Esquire and converted into the studios for WXEL radio and TV which later became WJW. After WJW moved out, the theater was used as the Center Repertory Theatre until 1980. It sat vacant until it was demolished in the mid-1980s. SOURCE: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8163

Here is some history written by those who worked there: https://neohiotvmemories.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/bulletin-board-5/copy-of-vlcsnap-41053/

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ctown60 said:

What does all of this have to do with the Lumen project? Please stay on topic!

Everything that exists and comes next is based on what has come before. I want to know what preceded the Lumen at this site.

• Like 17
  • Dislike 1

Agreed.  High density building like this in Playhouse will do wonders.  The Downtown Cleveland Alliance just published their report showing that occupancy rate is at 92%.  Clearly, the market can handle more buildings. 

• Like 1

Love the blue glass, hate the white stripes. The new Hilton is all glass and I haven't read any complaints about it. Feels like the review board thought the glass facade on this one was too monolithic so they slapped some stripes on it. Didn't know what else to do. Cheapens it in my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, cadmen said:

Love the blue glass, hate the white stripes. The new Hilton is all glass and I haven't read any complaints about it. Feels like the review board thought the glass facade on this one was too monolithic so they slapped some stripes on it. Didn't know what else to do. Cheapens it in my opinion. 

I agree...it seems like a negligent afterthought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jbee1982 said:

I agree...it seems like a negligent afterthought.

The support beams appear to be external on this construction, glass likely would have been covering concrete. I don't know much about skyscraper construction but it appears the white is aligned with the beams. 

2 hours ago, cadmen said:

There are a few on these boards who find the Hilton architecturally unpleasant. I'm not one of them.  Cleveland needs more interesting glass wonders to brighten and enliven the city.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 3

There isn't even a pattern to the lines on the front of the building. If I were to see the building the first time, I know I would be distracted by the lines. Why? Because they don't make any sense and there is no pattern to them....making the building look like a 70's-inspired glass monolith.  

Edited by jbee1982
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jbee1982 said:

There isn't even a pattern to the lines on the front of the building. If I were to see the building the first time, I know I would be distracted by the lines. Why? Because they don't make any sense and there is no pattern to them....making the building look like a 70's-inspired glass monolith.  

I think the added verticle lines ruin the otherwise pristine look of the building. The original renderings had a classy, clean, pristine appearance.

Just now, Frmr CLEder said:

I think the added verticle lines ruin the otherwise pristine look of the building. The original renderings had a classy, clean, pristine appearance.

I don't get who thought adding the lines would add architectural detail to the design. It wouldn't be soo bad if there were maybe four vertical lines on all sides of the building to give it a cohesive look, but no. It's like they were like "hmmm lets put a line here.....here...this place looks ok...oh, and one here. Looks good enough. Resubmit it."

First off, all-glass designs are extremely common in modern architecture. The building would still be cool if it was all-glass, but it would have nothing to differentiate itself from other glass buildings. I prefer the lines.

Secondly, there is a pattern. The lines go 4, 3, 2 and 1. They aren't random.

• Like 7
  • Love 1