Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen

26 minutes ago, cfdwarrior said:

I just looked at Cleveland Construction website and under the projects section it seems that they have done/are doing plenty of urban high-rise projects ( out of state), maybe I am missing something?

I wouldn’t categorize the one hotel in Asheville as “plenty”. They don’t have the experience you would want for this type of project.

14 hours ago, MayDay said:

And the view from Progressive Field.

A8D120DD-B432-4A1B-A539-5434D9B9E2A6.jpeg

That view is a lot more intetesting than whats happening on the field! Love how that view brings the Rhodes Tower into the skyline. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLE_Millennial said:

The Hanna building is almost exactly the half-way mark.

Hanna building = 194ft

The Lumen = 396ft

It's going to dwarf the surrounding buildings.

No matter how many times this is pointed out, it's just nuts how it'll really transform that part of town. I moved here about 3-4 years ago, looks like I picked the right time! lol

Good on the Playhouse Square Foundation for moving this project forward super, super fast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GISguy said:

No matter how many times this is pointed out, it's just nuts how it'll really transform that part of town. I moved here about 3-4 years ago, looks like I picked the right time! lol

Good on the Playhouse Square Foundation for moving this project forward super, super fast.

Welcome!  Keep up the good work!  

• Thanks 1

^^World Class Glass, and World Class Signage in the same pic.

We need some of this new construction on the lots between Chester and Payne, around E. 12th.  Not changing the topic- I'll have to go there and take a pic to show just how much those lots suck when compared to the surrounding activity. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oldmanladyluck said:

^^World Class Glass, and World Class Signage in the same pic.

We need some of this new construction on the lots between Chester and Payne, around E. 12th.  Not changing the topic- I'll have to go there and take a pic to show just how much those lots suck when compared to the surrounding activity. 

Good timing. Stay tuned....

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

FRIDAY, MAY 24, 2019

Seeds & Sprouts - Early intel on real estate projects

This is the first edition of Seeds & Sprouts - Early intelligence on Cleveland-area real estate projects. Because these projects are very early in their process of development or just a long-range plan, a lot can and probably will change their final shape, use and outcome.

Lumen-Ichabod+the+Crane-052319.jpg

Playhouse Square: The Lumen, Act II

What will Playhouse Square Foundation (PHS) in downtown Cleveland do for an encore if early leasing at The Lumen apartment tower on Euclid Avenue at East 17th Street meets or exceeds expectations? The next performance could well be another residential tower for the theater district.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/seeds-sprouts-early-intel-on-real.html

• Like 7

Aerial Agents

@aerialagents

Before and During construction of The Lumen apartment building in Playhouse Square.

D7vCWZiW4AA4ebn?format=jpg&name=4096x409

D7vCWZgWsAElgTB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 12
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, mack34 said:

Whatever it is, it will be small.  I believe its only 1500 sq ft of retail space

That's quite small. About the size of a boutique store or fast food restaurant.

22 hours ago, RoabeArt said:

That's quite small. About the size of a boutique store or fast food restaurant.

I think that it'll be fine, could put something there to cater to students or residents. There's a lot of large retail spots Downtown that have been sitting vacant for a while.

1 hour ago, mrclifton88 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the Edge looks permanently unfinished?? 

It's a recurring cleveland design element.  The Edge, the Federal Building facade, the cornice on the base of the Hilton....

On 5/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, CLE_Millennial said:

The Hanna building is almost exactly the half-way mark.

Hanna building = 194ft

The Lumen = 396ft

It's going to dwarf the surrounding buildings.

Exactly what I DO like about it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Exactly what I don't like about it.

im starting to think this is a troll account..  i keep waiting for Aston Kutcher to jump and say we are being punked....  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Please.

A diversity of opinions is a good thing.

Humor is even better!

I'm not quite sure why a high rise complex is inappropriate for an urban core/Downtown... Especially one that is rapidly growing, and has room to grow. Diversity in building heights, and styles is normal within older cities. There is not many places in the core of the CBD to build up except theWHD, which seems hopeless in the current moment of development. Even in the more central area, parking lots are surrounded by shorter, historic building. The Hippodome site, which is in pre-development, borders the 9 story 668 apartment complex (and others). A 20-story building there would be a lot taller than some neighboring buildings. But it's better than a parking lot, and anything shorter wouldn't be financially feasible. Lumen is a great addition to Downtown, and shows that development is expanding outward - which is good. 

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I don't understand why the WHD is undevelopable.  I have read all the threads about it and I still don't understand.  This project, as it is now would be better on the E 12th residential corridor.

Why is that controversial?

And moreover, why all the hostility and snarkyness?

I had forgotten how unpleasant this forum, and some of the people here can be.

It’s not unpleasant for people to point out to you that a city is exactly the place for tall buildings and that it is natural for buildings to have different heights and to sometimes block the views of other buildings (as you complained in the NuCLEus thread)

Some buildings in every city in the world are going to “dwarf other buildings” as you said upthread. That is what makes a city. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I don't understand why the WHD is undevelopable.  I have read all the threads about it and I still don't understand.  This project, as it is now would be better on the E 12th residential corridor.

Yeah, imo opinion everything in East of W. 9th and West of E. 22nd is fair game for a high rise - and by fair game, I mean they should be encouraged. I understand your concern, but I just think it's not correctly applied. The size of the building, imo, is irrelevant - rather, it's all about how that building blends with the street and neighborhood at the street level. For instance, if a highrise were to be put at the intersection of W. 9th and St. Claire, in the surface lot to the SE, I would want the portion of the building at street level to have some sort of red brick element, that would ingratiate the surrounding buildings/vibe - the height wouldn't really matter imo. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Terdolph said:

Cities have buildings of various heights...that is what makes them interesting.  but you keep calling East 12 the residential corridor....Its not.  That was from the failed "urban renewal" plan  from the 70's.  Euclid is the actual residential corridor now.  there will be almost 3000 apartments on or directly off of Euclid between Tower city  and CSU.  Its the most walkable and active street in DT Cleveland.  Lumen is in the perfect spot

• Like 6