Some views of the site

Lumen2site-4.jpg

Lumen2site-3.jpg

Lumen2site-2.jpg

Lumen2site-1.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

1 minute ago, MayDay said:

Best I could do at 50mph this morning (as a passenger!) - still can't convince the husband to come to a dead stop on the Innerbelt during rush hour ?

Sometimes rush hour traffic will do that for you. ?

BTW, you can see some of the cleaning they're doing on the RKO Radio's B.F. Keith Building.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

22 minutes ago, MayDay said:

Best I could do at 50mph this morning (as a passenger!) - still can't convince the husband to come to a dead stop on the Innerbelt during rush hour ?

IMG_3713.jpg

Can't say I blame him. Great pic tho.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ASPhotoman said:

I was really hoping they'd put an opaque covering for the top layer so they could illuminate the top of the building.

Is the top floor a penthouse or an amenity deck? I seem to recall their amenity deck being at the level of the roof of the adjoining garage. Either way, it could be internally illuminated although probably illuminated more often as an amenity deck.

11 minutes ago, KJP said:

Is the top floor a penthouse or an amenity deck? I seem to recall their amenity deck being at the level of the roof of the adjoining garage. Either way, it could be internally illuminated although probably illuminated more often as an amenity deck.

I thought the top floor was supposed to be a mechanical floor. You're correct that the amenity desk is on the lower level next to the garage. I just couldn't see them covering the top floor with something transparent if it was mechanical. 

24 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

Wow I guess I was wrong. That's a small site. Looks like the opposite is true then. Lumen Act II has the potential to be even taller.

I remember an article from Ken a while back saying that with the zoning and height district(6) that it was in, they could build a 600' mixed use building without even needing a variance. 

A 600' or greater would be amazing, plus it would add so much to the feel of the PHS, and even more to the upper east side of CLE.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, NR said:

I remember an article from Ken a while back saying that with the zoning and height district(6) that it was in, they could build a 600' mixed use building without even needing a variance. 

A 600' or greater would be amazing, plus it would add so much to the feel of the PHS, and even more to the upper east side of CLE.

A 600' tower would be unbelievable. We'll see what happens.

If they make it a mixed-use building, I always thought it would be awesome if they built a modern theater. All their current theaters are very historic and old (which is great). But a modern one would add some diversity to the district. Building a theater on the lower floors would be interesting.

Edited by CLE_Millennial
Grammar mistake
  • Like 2

Lumen 1 site is a full acre includes the garage.

Lumen 2 site is 0.9 acres (per MyPlace) and doesn't need a garage.

I first wrote it about it in a Seeds & Sprouts piece last May (second item):

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/seeds-sprouts-early-intel-on-real.html

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Hearing that 1 University Circle is 95% leased gives me hope that Act 2 will happen rather quickly. 1UC probably has the highest rents in the city.

FWIW for many buildings including the 1UC you can double check by going to their website (most companies websites are pretty on top of available units).  It shows 14 available of the 276 which means that it is indeed 95% leased!

Edited by cle_guy90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marty15 said:

Does anyone know if DCA does any kind of survey showing/identifying where all these new renters/residents are coming from? Out of town, suburbs, etc.

This is probably the closest thing to what you're looking for, but it is not as specific as you'd like in terms of inflow migration patterns. Their focus is more on personas and demographics of residential growth in downtown and comparisons against population trends in the area, peer cities, and other large cities.

https://www.downtowncleveland.com/DCA/media/DCA_Media/2018-Housing-Demand-Analysis.pdf

Some of their sources give more context:

The Fifth Migration: A Study of Cleveland Millennials: https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/urban_facpub/1338/

This source is particularly insightful for what you're looking for:

Mapping Adult Migration in Cleveland, Ohio: https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2302&context=urban_facpub

Might be best to keep any spinoff conversation here:

Edited by infrafreak
extra sources, thread suggestion
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 5:48 PM, cle_guy90 said:

FWIW for many buildings including the 1UC you can double check by going to their website (most companies websites are pretty on top of available units).  It shows 14 available of the 276 which means that it is indeed 95% leased!

Major thing to note, that's a dangerous way to base it off of. Occupied units that haven't been renewed also show up. Considering the majority of renters don't renew after a year in most markets, you will see a lot more listings than there are truly vacant units.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jmicha said:

Major thing to note, that's a dangerous way to base it off of. Occupied units that haven't been renewed also show up. Considering the majority of renters don't renew after a year in most markets, you will see a lot more listings than there are truly vacant units.

It depends some sites will say when a unit is becoming available versus actually saying that it's available now (garfield, standard, flats, etc.) but that is a fair point.

OSHA cites Cleveland construction company after crane dropped steel beams on Playhouse Square garage

Posted Jan 16, 3:52 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration determined a construction company overloaded a crane last year in Cleveland’s Playhouse Square before steel beams fell onto the top of a parking garage.

The federal agency cited Donley’s Inc. for three “serious” violations related to the Oct. 10 accident at the construction site for The Lumen, a 34-story residential tower on East 14th Street near Euclid Avenue, according to a letter dated Jan. 9.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/01/osha-cites-cleveland-construction-company-after-crane-dropped-steel-beams-on-playhouse-square-garage.html

The article notes that Gilbane itself was not found to have committed any violations.

• Thanks 2

The E55th St. marina offers some beautiful views of the lake and downtown, plus really shows off how the Lumen extends the skyline! Already just having this one additional building bulks up the skyline’s density and makes the CSU tower feel like a true part of downtown, rather than sticking out like an ugly thumb. 

787D7DBD-E08B-4F19-8351-71BB0C00D56F.thumb.jpeg.033d6e8b95ac4f5cb31a8fb0e6a810f6.jpeg

• Like 9

I haven't been able to get a good shot of it with an Iphone, but I love the way she looks at night now with all the fluorescent construction lights on every floor, and the crane with flashing airplane beacons on top.   Looks amazing from a distance!

Maybe someone with a pro setup can get a good shot of this?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cleburger said:

I haven't been able to get a good shot of it with an Iphone, but I love the way she looks at night now with all the fluorescent construction lights on every floor, and the crane with flashing airplane beacons on top.   Looks amazing from a distance!

Maybe someone with a pro setup can get a good shot of this?  

I might be up there tomorrow and was planning on having my equipment with me. I'll try and get some good shots if I have time. ?

• Like 4

Don't forget to check out the WKYC webcam from time to time, too.

Upthread it was a nice resource when the construction cam stopped being repositioned.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/weather/weather-blog/live-channel-3-csu-cam/95-ef5b3538-3801-41eb-a178-a9cd793a7bc1

Right now it is dark outside and hard to see the area of the Keith building and the lumen in the cam- looks like it is not well-lit up right now. Earlier in its construction you could see it pretty well in the WKYC cam at night with the flashing glow of Ichabod the crane.

edit: today during the day I looked and the webcam was zoomed out with the Lumen plainly visible. this evening (with enough light to see well), it is zoomed in and has the same view as last night. so it seems like the Lumen's visibility is variable for that reason.

Edited by infrafreak
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sapper Daddy said:

Love it.. not sure if I’m alone here but The Lumen reminds me a lot of 505 Condominiums, Nashville.

Here’s hoping Cleveland has a construction boom this decade similar to Nashville has the last.

AF1BB24C-7C72-4879-989B-D1EFCB962C7E.jpeg

This is exactly what Cleveland needs! 

A 500’ condominium tower. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Watertiger1962 said:

This is exactly what Cleveland needs! 

A 500’ condominium tower. 

Sell out the one that's under construction now. Then you'll see one that's in the 250- to 300-foot range. And if that one sells out reasonably quickly, then you might see a 500-footer.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mack34 said:

I was just at breakfast at Yours Truly in the Halle building, and some of the construction guys told me that the crane should be coming down in the next 2 weeks

So we'll be crane-less (downtown only) for nearly a year.... ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Looks like Ichabod is coming down.

ROAD CLOSURE:

WHEN: Beginning Friday, February 7th through Sunday, February 16th.

Expect traffic congestions, bus line changes, traffic pattern changes Euclid Avenue and Limited use of E17th Street:

The Lumen construction project will begin the removal of the construction tower cranes.

Playhouse Square has notified K&D that beginning this Friday at 12:01 a.m. Euclid Avenue will be closed from E18th Street to E14th Street, except for the valet lane in front of the theaters for westbound traffic on the north side of the street. 

Euclid Avenue will be completely closed from E18th Street to E17th Street in both directions.

This closure may be in effect for the full week of February 10th-14th.

Updates will be provided when received from Playhouse Square management.

·       E17th Street: No parking during this time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1