Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen (Playhouse Square Tower)

Not to get off topic but I was using MayDay's second photo to imagine a couple of twenty story buildings on the city club and spaghetti house lots per the speculations in a couple of other threads this weekend.

There’s a certain elegance in the egg shell white of the Keith and the Lumen’s other immediate older neighbors - the Lumen’s modern blueish facade will be very complimentary ( in addition to its obvious vertical presence.)  Just a refreshing different  feel from the brown wash of the Public Square - Euclid area. 

I really would have preferred to see this building on the  E 12th residential corridor. 

It blocks sight lines to the gorgeous B.F. Keith bldg.

Moreover, with the Mather having been moved, why can't the cruise ships dock at the end of E. 9th?   It is much more pleasant than where they have to dock now, better access to public transportation, within walking distance of venues, etc.

Edited by Terdolph
  • Confused 1

I love the location of the Lumen - I think it’s been said a number of times already but it will really expand the skyline and feel of downtown eastward.  What bothers me about I see from those airplane windows is the vast expanse of parking lot spaces on the west side - which are obvious even from far above the city. Ugh. 

3 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I really would have preferred to see this building on the  E 12th residential corridor. 

Moreover, with the Mather having been moved, why can't the cruise ships dock at the end of E. 9th?   It is much more pleasant than where they have to dock now, better access to public transportation, within walking distance of venues, etc.

Euclid Ave is the residential corridor.  When everything is complete, there will be almost 3000 units facing or on corner of Euclid.  Its the most pedestrian friendly street in the city.  Keith Building isnt disappearing, its just next to another dynamic building.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terdolph said:

The Lumen will only partially  block out the Keith due to the buildings rather skinny and being perpendicular to the street. The low parking lot portion of the Lumen will not block out the Keith very much.

7 hours ago, shack said:

The Lumen will only partially  block out the Keith due to the buildings rather skinny and being perpendicular to the street. The low parking lot portion of the Lumen will not block out the Keith very much.

Hopefully you are correct. 

It may be like the BP America building.  From some angles, e.g. the mall, it looks great.  Viewed from the east it can look horrendous.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, Terdolph said:

I'm not sure of the full reasons, but I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that they have to go through a Customs check when they get off the boat and they have mobile Customs units at the Port. I suspect it may be more difficult to do that in a site like the E 9th St Pier where the dock isn't in a contained area.

But as far as the Lumen goes, I'm much more interested in what it does to the street level along such a busy portion of Euclid than I am about what views it blocks in the skyline. 

Edited by TPH2
  • Like 3

That's a very cool photo. 

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

If you just kind of eyeball this WKYC webcam photo the Lumen when complete should appear to be a little taller than the Ohio Bell building from this perspective.

Screenshot_20190502-142647.png

Edited by freethink
  • Like 6

On 5/2/2019 at 9:19 PM, freethink said:

If you just kind of eyeball this WKYC webcam photo the Lumen when complete should appear to be a little taller than the Ohio Bell building from this perspective.

Screenshot_20190502-142647.png

Can we place a bunch of like 5-10 story buildings, maybe some townhouses on all those parking lots? That'd be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imjustinjk said:

Can we place a bunch of like 5-10 story buildings, maybe some townhouses on all those parking lots? That'd be great.

The townhouses are happening. But 5-10 story buildings? See my police HQ story I just posted. Want more? Tell RTA to restart planning for the downtown rail loop. Hey, that's on topic! The LRT was to go down East 17th and serve the Lumen! OK, I'll stop now. 🙂

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

1 hour ago, imjustinjk said:

Those lots are good for CSU students and the once tallest residential structure in Cleveland, I believe the Reserve Square Apartments, and Embassy Suites. If I recall they're included in white pass parking, which is shitty parking to begin with, and CSU is currently undergoing a parking crisis. I dont think they're going to let go of those anytime soon. 

Edited by tastybunns
  • Dislike 1

Three of those parking lots are going away but only one might become a public parking garage....

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/05/old-cpd-station-new-cpd-station.html?m=1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KJP said:

The townhouses are happening. But 5-10 story buildings? See my police HQ story I just posted. Want more? Tell RTA to restart planning for the downtown rail loop. Hey, that's on topic! The LRT was to go down East 17th and serve the Lumen! OK, I'll stop now. 🙂

Yea, I was mostly kidding around, aha. Just hate seeing all the parking lots. It would be great if the WFL looped around. If rail served CSU/Playhouse Square area I feel like ridership would surely increase for the GBWFL.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tastybunns said:

Those lots are good for CSU students and the once tallest residential structure in Cleveland, I believe the Reserve Square Apartments, and Embassy Suites. If I recall they're included in white pass parking, which is shitty parking to begin with, and CSU is currently undergoing a parking crisis. I dont think they're going to let go of those anytime soon. 

A "parking crisis"?  No area in Cleveland has a parking crisis under any normal circumstance.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m in Boston this weekend. I was wandering the Boyleston / Fenway area which has enjoyed significant investment over the last 5+ years. This is the Pierce building (mostly condos). To me it looks a lot like the Lumen. For reference, this building is 378 ft tall compared to the Lumen at 398. This building is wider - Lumen should look even taller with its slender design. This made me excited for Lumen. 

Also, a good eye will reveal a city Target down the block in that last picture. 

DA04EDD7-53CA-496B-BFF1-8FF17FB724DB.thumb.jpeg.f14ef53f529d66f0df54c29f13846cad.jpeg

58CDC473-A401-4BE3-B587-D5DEE991B521.thumb.jpeg.dbd36baf383ef158d65b2653393dadbb.jpeg

00959BCD-D95B-4233-B45E-0ADB90C51D0F.thumb.jpeg.10508e36c15ed44825ce5809df702e30.jpeg

17703CF2-F8BC-4452-B631-EB326ED4590F.thumb.jpeg.cffa4c8236595d75ec14b9d2a4158e1c.jpeg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

A "parking crisis"?  No area in Cleveland has a parking crisis under any normal circumstance.  

CSU is mostly a commuter college with 17,000+ students, they sell more passes than there are spots in any lot. Having actually attended CSU, for morning classes it is an absolute b***h  to find parking in any lot. Even white lots were full which are on the outskirts of the campus. I kinda wish they built more garages.

Sorry for going off-topic.

1 minute ago, tastybunns said:

CSU is mostly a commuter college with 17,000+ students, they sell more passes than there are spots in any lot. Having actually attended CSU, for morning classes it is an absolute b***h  to find parking in any lot. Even white lots were full which are on the outskirts of the campus. I kinda wish they built more garages.

Sorry for going off-topic.

Every one here knows the history of CSU as we have many students and alumni.  The facts still remains, there is no such "crises" in any part of Cleveland.

Back to the Lumen.  Back to the Lumen.  😉😁

• Like 3

question for the construction people.....What is the primary purpose of the yellow cages?  Is it strictly safety?

I'm amazed at the similarities of the Pierce in Boston compared to the Lumen. Was it designed by the same architect?

Here's a picture of the Pierce under construction. Even the crane and the concrete slip forms are a similar color. A little preview of what the Lumen might look like by the end of the year...

spacer.png

Edited by RoabeArt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RoabeArt said:

I'm amazed at the similarities of the Pierce in Boston compared to the Lumen. Was it designed by the same architect?

Here's a picture of the Pierce under construction. Even the crane and the concrete slip forms are a similar color. A little preview of what the Lumen might look like by the end of the year...

spacer.png

Arquitectonica is listed as the architects of The Pierce. Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) designed The Lumen in Cleveland. Similarities must be part of the current paradigm.

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe the yellow screens are protection screens that are used primarily for worker safety. They prevent falls (of workers and materials), and provide wind/weather protection for the trades working below the newly formed floor above. They can be hydraulic, so once initially positioned, crane time can be used elsewhere until the top-out of the building.  https://www.doka.com/en/system-groups/doka-safety-systems/protection-screens/xclimb-60/index

Edited by CLEsteve
  • Like 3

"Lumen" being built in Tysons Corners - Virginia suburb of Wash DC

lumen-gallery_9-723x1024.jpg

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

https://lumentysons.com/

Forgot to put a link on the above photo.  Tyson's is a huge development that has been constantly under construction for about 40 years. It is in the running for the most pedestrian-unfriendly place in the region.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.