Jump to content
Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen (Playhouse Square Tower)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, osu4brutus03 said:

A swimming pool?

There will be a pool on the lounge deck.  The fourth floor of apartment looks like it is the workout room and community center, then it flows out onto the outer deck and pool area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a handful of pics on my lunch break, sorry about the one angled shot, was trying to avoid getting fencing in the pic! (was planning on going on the PHS parking deck but they're just about at the same level at this point)

 

20190304_125553.jpg

 

20190304_125519.jpg

 

20190304_125825.jpg

 

20190304_125822.jpg

 

20190304_125719.jpg

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering same thing!  This has been a complicated floor since its the patio area.  They must be getting ready for concrete tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, Oldmanladyluck said:

Got my dose of crane porn today...

 

 

20190315_130435.jpg

20190315_130613.jpg

The transition from the CSU campus to Playhouse Square will be striking! ...It already is. Most boundaries between neighborhoods is artificial. Not this one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ look at that -- wow.

 

i wonder who is going to actually live here? a lot of empty nest playhouse square subscribers i suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mrnyc said:

^ look at that -- wow.

 

i wonder who is going to actually live here? a lot of empty nest playhouse square subscribers i suppose.

 

My nephew and my cousins sons think this is a "NYC-esq" or "Chicago-esq" building and it will be a better "address" to live in than the Metropolitan.  They are all young professionals.  They like most of their peers are waiting to see what the rents will be in this and other new building soon to come online downtown.

 

As I've said in previous post, each new building will have to "out do" existing buildings, which will make inventory better. Landlords of existing buildings will  need to update/upgrade buildings and units to compete.  A win-win for all.

Edited by MyTwoSense
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always loved the lively lights and the revelry at PS. It is New York-esque in a way. My wish was that it could be the consolidated “media center” of the city with tv and a radio row. but alas, we sprawl. I would love to live there once the hood grows up a little bit more. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live there now.....Its fantastic....and the Lumen is going to make it even better.  The restaurants need another 500 people to keep them going after the theater crowd goes to the show 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The street life at Playhouse Square, which obviously extends into the evening hours, really makes it one of Cleveland's most interesting neighborhoods - and an attractive option for downtown living with a unique character.  The Lumen, being the shiny brand new "it" place,  might draw in people who previously wouldn't have chosen to live downtown. Yes, there will probably be many empty nesters in that group with money to spend.  Having the energy of Cleveland State, with its 12,000 or so undergrad students "next door" should be a positive - (although only about 8% of those students actually live on campus and probably don't dine at PHS often.) But the prestige of Playhouse Square and its status as the biggest theatre district outside of NY,  should make the Lumen a very hot ticket.  It'll be interesting to see how this area continues to grow in the years to come..... And let's not forget - Mack34 will be there! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, mack34 said:

I live there now.....Its fantastic....and the Lumen is going to make it even better.  The restaurants need another 500 people to keep them going after the theater crowd goes to the show 

 

That's a cool idea -- bringing TV stations into PHS. Ditto for radio stations. WJW TV and radio studios used to be located there, at 1630 Euclid -- in other words, where they used to be until about 1970 (see link below). Maybe they could be the ground-floor tenant in the Lumen??

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/structure/id/458/rec/1

  • Like 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you, Crane....

 

 

  • Like 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the neighborhood. It's one of the city's spots where for quite a few blocks in all directions you have nice development with low street level vacancies. Heavy dining focus west of CSU which makes sense with the theater but hopefully the Lumen can bring in more non-food tenants in line with the likes of the hair salon and the tailor etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, surfohio said:

I have always loved the lively lights and the revelry at PS. It is New York-esque in a way. My wish was that it could be the consolidated “media center” of the city with tv and a radio row. but alas, we sprawl. I would love to live there once the hood grows up a little bit more. 

This is an excellent idea. Wonder what it would take to get iHeart out of the Burbs. Or even Univision, which has no legitimate reason to be in the burbs. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CleveFan said:

The street life at Playhouse Square, which obviously extends into the evening hours, really makes it one of Cleveland's most interesting neighborhoods - and an attractive option for downtown living with a unique character.  The Lumen, being the shiny brand new "it" place,  might draw in people who previously wouldn't have chosen to live downtown. Yes, there will probably be many empty nesters in that group with money to spend.  Having the energy of Cleveland State, with its 12,000 or so undergrad students "next door" should be a positive - (although only about 8% of those students actually live on campus and probably don't dine at PHS often.) But the prestige of Playhouse Square and its status as the biggest theatre district outside of NY,  should make the Lumen a very hot ticket.  It'll be interesting to see how this area continues to grow in the years to come..... And let's not forget - Mack34 will be there! 

Only about 8% live in the dorms... That doesn't include The Edge, The Langston, or any other apartments downtown. I don't know the exact number, but I'd guess close to 40% of CSU students live in the downtown area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KJP said:

 

 

That's a cool idea -- bringing TV stations into PHS. Ditto for radio stations. WJW TV and radio studios used to be located there, at 1630 Euclid -- in other words, where they used to be until about 1970 (see link below). Maybe they could be the ground-floor tenant in the Lumen??

http://images.ulib.csuohio.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/structure/id/458/rec/1

There are 3 radio stations in the lobby of the Halle Building.  92.3, 98.5, and 104.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, CLE_Millennial said:

Only about 8% live in the dorms... That doesn't include The Edge, The Langston, or any other apartments downtown. I don't know the exact number, but I'd guess close to 40% of CSU students live in the downtown area.

 

When I was in law school there in 2017 I was told that 8,000 students live within a quarter mile of campus. I know the goal is at least 20,000 in and around campus ASAP. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

 

When I was in law school there in 2017 I was told that 8,000 students live within a quarter mile of campus. I know the goal is at least 20,000 in and around campus ASAP. 

That sounds about right.. So in reality, almost half the students live on campus.. The total student population is approaching 20,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peek-a-boo!

20190320_183659.jpg

  • Like 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there are plans to light up the crown of The Lumen at night? I was driving into downtown last night from 77N and couldn't help to try and picture how the addition of The Lumen might help to extend the skyline. Seeing as it's not super tall, I thought by lighting the crown it'd make a nice statement and really pop out to help do that. Also, seems fitting you'd illuminate a building called "The Lumen". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ASPhotoman said:

Does anyone know if there are plans to light up the crown of The Lumen at night? I was driving into downtown last night from 77N and couldn't help to try and picture how the addition of The Lumen might help to extend the skyline. Seeing as it's not super tall, I thought by lighting the crown it'd make a nice statement and really pop out to help do that. Also, seems fitting you'd illuminate a building called "The Lumen". 

 

What about the BIRDS man?   The BIRDS?  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go back to the evening renderings on page 1, they show no crown illumination.  But, since people will live there, hopefully at least their lights will be on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well this project is most certainly lit, har dee har har, but i can't believe anything called the lumen would not actually be lit up in some way.

 

maybe someone can, umm, enlighten us on this?

 

k i'll stop now.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Poison 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

???? Is this what its going to look like??? That looks 600 ft.

 

That looks fairly accurate...Hanna is about 17 stories and Lumen will be 34...Well done!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

???? Is this what its going to look like??? That looks 600 ft.

 

It's all about perspective. 😉  The 9 is less than half the size of Key Tower and yet, in this photo, it looks much larger because it's closer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice rendering! I actually love that the Lumen’s location  will spread out the downtown skyline more - more big city-ish that way. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 7:59 PM, MyTwoSense said:

 

My nephew and my cousins sons think this is a "NYC-esq" or "Chicago-esq" building and it will be a better "address" to live in than the Metropolitan.  They are all young professionals.  They like most of their peers are waiting to see what the rents will be in this and other new building soon to come online downtown.

 

As I've said in previous post, each new building will have to "out do" existing buildings, which will make inventory better. Landlords of existing buildings will  need to update/upgrade buildings and units to compete.  A win-win for all.

 

We don't have too many amenity rich buildings that compete with those in the bigger cities. I think we're starting to get there, but this will have a wide net of people interested. I live in a pretty nice building downtown, but the rent is fairly inexpensive and there's not much to it. The Lumen, Beacon, etc. will all have things that are fairly new to the market I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...