Klingaling87

Cleveland: Downtown: The Lumen (Playhouse Square Tower)

Downtown has been moving east for 200 years. Playhouse Square owned this parking lot for many years. They didn't have to buy anything And the goal of this building is to put more bodies onto Euclid Avenue sidewalks, shops, restaurants and cafes so they are sustainable year-round, not just when the theaters are hosting shows.

Moving on......

• Like 4

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

On 1/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, Terdolph said:

I don't like having this tall of a building on the edge of down town.  I would have preferred this on the E 12th. residential corridor.  I also think it overwhelms the B.F. Keith building.

I think it will make a rather dramatic entrance (no pun intended) to Playhouse Square and downtown in general coming from the east. 

• Like 3

Looks like they're adding a floor per week, even in the dead of winter. I'd be surprised if they make much progress this week with the subzero temperatures....

20190128_155100.jpg

20190128_155046.jpg

20190128_155041.jpg

20190128_163623.jpg

• Like 2

"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege." -- Tommy Douglas, Scottish-born Canadian Baptist minister and the seventh Premier of Saskatchewan

Really excited about this project! It should really extend and beef up the Cleveland skyline. Looking forward to seeing this rise.

• Like 2

Was across the street at Conner Palace last night to see Sebastian Maniscalco. Seems to be moving along quite nicely. It should work to enclose that area, bookending the eastern entrance to Euclid with the Keith building ... can't wait for this one to finish.

Thanks for the photos, KJP! I think this tower will kick-start additional development on the eastern end of downtown and act as a beacon that identifies the location of Playhouse Square on the downtown skyline. I can't wait to see it completed.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any knowledge about what other land parcels Playhouse Square District Development Corp. owns that can be potential developments in the future?

• Like 1

Yes. PHS owns a lot of property. Some of their undeveloped land is on the SE corner of Chester and East 13th.

12 hours ago, Eastside said:

Does anyone have any knowledge about what other land parcels Playhouse Square District Development Corp. owns that can be potential developments in the future?

This gives a little breakdown of what's owned by the 'Playhouse Square Foundation', it's not the easiest to figure what's an air parcel and what isn't from the image, but for quick reference, parcels ending in -300 to -699 are typically Condo or Air Rights parcels. To get a closer/better view, check out the County GIS Application

PlayhouseSquareFdnParcels.png

• Like 1

I’ve got a decent view of the crane from my new office, I’ll try to post one of these weekly. Hopefully it will start to peak through this Spring!

0194A3CB-48F0-4F5D-A216-143E2D5C3DD1.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I’ve got a decent view of the crane from my new office, I’ll try to post one of these weekly. Hopefully it will start to peak through this Spring!

And Your office is in what Building?

Drive-by shooting pics

20190209_130016.jpg

20190209_130202.jpg

20190209_130149.jpg

20190209_130124.jpg

20190209_130114.jpg

20190209_130059.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, Terdolph said:

I don't like having this tall of a building on the edge of down town.  I would have preferred this on the E 12th. residential corridor.  I also think it overwhelms the B.F. Keith building.

By the same logic Key Tower "overwhelms" Terminal Tower.   Nothing wrong with spreading out the height.   Look at Rhodes Tower.   It could be like Cityplex in Tulsa after all.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

By the same logic Key Tower "overwhelms" Terminal Tower.   Nothing wrong with spreading out the height.   Look at Rhodes Tower.   It could be like Cityplex in Tulsa after all.....

Cant beat the CityPlex story though...

“Roberts claimed that a 900-foot (300 m) Jesus encouraged him to continue the project.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, E Rocc said:

I agree, key tower overwhelms TT and the BP Tower is way too fat compared to TT when viewed from the East.

21 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

I believe The former BP wasn't allowed to be taller than the TT explaining it's fatness but don't quote me on that (yes I'm fat shaming).

Yeah, that's the story I heard as well, completely dumb. Here's the link.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/news-archives/throwback-thursday-in-wews-video-vault-1982-implosion-of-two-buildings-on-clevelands-public-square

"A side note, originally the Sohio Building was to be taller than the Terminal Tower, but city officials objected and it was built 50 feet shorter than the 708 feet Terminal Tower."

• Like 1

I don't remember the height of the Sohio building being reduced, but I do remember its corners were tapered so as not to be so imposing, compared to its Public Square neighbor. I clipped this from the PD in 1982...

Sohio_Building_proposed1982.jpg

• Like 3

That’s correct and it was silly - a slightly slimmer and taller BP building would have been an even cooler resident on public square.  Just like in Philly, for years you couldn’t build higher than the top of William Penn’s hat...but then something called ”progress” happened and look at Philadelphia now...or Manhattan, where 432 Park Avenue, Central Park Tower and Hudson Yards have all overwhelmed the mighty Empure State- I hope the Terminal Tower (one of my favorite buildings in the country) is surpassed again in Cleveland’s future, but that could take decades....(unless Sherwin Williams has an epic tower in mind - please!) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Terdolph said:

I agree, key tower overwhelms TT and the BP Tower is way too fat compared to TT when viewed from the East.

I couldn't disagree more, respectfully of course. 

I was in Boston a few months back, and the "Boston Spine" essentially has two ends wherein the taller buildings are located, which creates an illusion that their skyline is more prominent and voluminous than it actually is. I think capping the East side of Downtown with a prominent building will effectively extend the volume of our skyline from E. 17th all the way to the Federal Courthouse, which would make it easily the most expansive in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

image.png.011af93552ad120ffb9a2d8c820bd362.png

^The actual volume of the Spine versus the perceived volume from street level below

image.thumb.png.60048df0e68e6c00b4dd863a5018f806.png

Edited by YABO713
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KJP said:

I don't remember the height of the Sohio building being reduced, but I do remember its corners were tapered so as not to be so imposing, compared to its Public Square neighbor. I clipped this from the PD in 1982...

Sohio_Building_proposed1982.jpg

The tapered corners look much better IMO.  The original design would look dated now. 

• Like 6

On 2/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, YABO713 said:

We just moved into new offices, too ... and I have you beat (distance-wise) by a couple of hundred feet! You look to be a handful of floors higher, though. 😉 

lumen.jpg

Edited by Paul in Cleveland
  • Like 2

This is just gonna be more fun with each new floor! Is there a timetable for when this tower will  top out?  Seems like it took a few weeks getting from the 2nd to the 3rd floor.,,

• Like 1

Yes, it did take a few weeks on this latest floor.  There were a few days lost to weather.  Once the weather settles down and the garage portion is finished, young  Lumen should have a growth spurt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CleveFan said:

This is just gonna be more fun with each new floor! Is there a timetable for when this tower will  top out?  Seems like it took a few weeks getting from the 2nd to the 3rd floor.,,

They're about three months behind this projected timeline. If that holds, the Lumen's steel should top out in April or May 2020....

Edited by KJP

On 1/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, KJP said:

Downtown has been moving east for 200 years. Playhouse Square owned this parking lot for many years. They didn't have to buy anything And the goal of this building is to put more bodies onto Euclid Avenue sidewalks, shops, restaurants and cafes so they are sustainable year-round, not just when the theaters are hosting shows.

Moving on......

Not to get too off topic, but I always thought that Downtown was bounded by the river, lake, and the innerbelt, but apparently I was wrong. I know some people define it by ended at the edge of the CBD. According to this map Wolstein Center, as well as the buildings south of Euclid/across from CSU is technically in Central? Is why The Edge got its name, because its on the technical edge of Downtown?

gc.JPG.7ea7ceb7e53339b504142506d82000c4.JPG

I doubt that is where the name came from.  Also the City has adjusted its "official" neighborhood boundaries for Downtown to match the river, lake and Innerbelt, so now it does indeed line up with what most people expect.

• Like 1

Missed this one.....

900x0_s3-43800-M-ALL-ICHABOD-CRANE-1.jpg

Tower Crane Christened 'Ichabod' Becomes Star of Cleveland's Playhouse Square

WED FEBRUARY 13, 2019 - NATIONAL EDITION 

There's a new social media celebrity hailing from the shores of Lake Erie. He's tall, rugged, and hangs out with the live theater crowd near the bright marquee lights.

He's also a tower crane.

Perhaps you've heard of being "internet famous," the sudden swell of celebrity that rises up around something that is shared mainly over social media. In one of the more unusual examples of being internet famous, the tower crane being used to construct a new 34-story apartment high-rise in Cleveland's Playhouse Square district has captured the zeitgeist. Rising high above a one-acre parcel of land, the crane stands out amidst this stretch of theaters, famed as the country's largest performing arts center outside of New York.

Locals nicknamed it "Ichabod the Crane," after the main character in Washington Irving's story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." It also has its own Twitter page. "Ichabod" tweets about construction progress, weather conditions, and shares lots of pictures of the project site.

MORE:

https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/tower-crane-christened-ichabod-becomes-star-of-clevelands-playhouse-square/43800

++++++++++++++++++

Oh, and here's the Twitter feed which has some very nice photos on it...

https://twitter.com/IchabodtheCrane

Like these....

Dw4vNGrWwAA_4eX.jpg:large

Du_hA3wWwAADu2_.jpg:large

Edited by KJP
  • Like 5

On 1/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, mack34 said:

I would say that Euclid Ave is the residential corridor. 

That wasn't the original plan. 

E 12th with it's boulevard style median was supposed to be the residential corridor all the way from Euclid Ave. to the Holiday Inn on Lakeside.

It's only because office growth has collapsed downtown that many of those Euclid Ave commercial bldgs. became available for residential conversion.