Sign in to follow this  
Guest DarkandStormy

Personal Finance / Investing Thread

23 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

The market might close up 2-3% today, a day after losing 7%.  Your gold friends all missed out on what might be the year's entire gain.  

People don't get that the market going up half as much as it just went down is a huge deal.  They can only think about the down.  

23 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

To be fair, 2008 also had a lot of "big gain" days.  It's just that the severity of the extreme days going down far outweighed those.

Perfect example of why (over)reacting to any single day or two of the market is silly.  Now we're back to Monday's levels and potentially heading to a new 52-week low.

If you're a short-term trader, you're freaking out.  If you have a longer horizon (20+ years) then this shouldn't matter.

Very Stable Genius

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:15 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Okay we ended March 10 up 5% after dropping 7% on March 9.  Where my gold bros at?  

Whoops.

Stock markets just closed their worst single day of trading since 1987.

Very Stable Genius

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 4:06 PM, DarkandStormy said:

Stock markets just closed their worst single day of trading since 1987.

Then bounced completely back in 24 hours.  This is crazy-crazy.  

23 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Then bounced completely back in 24 hours.  This is crazy-crazy.  

Yeah, markets are wild. I saw Bitcoin dropped 50% in 24 hours.

Have a feeling volatility is here to stay until there's stabilization with covid-19.

Very Stable Genius

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 12:35 PM, DarkandStormy said:

I mean, yes, trading one stock alone is always incredibly risky.  And I don't have the risk appetite for it.  But for your 5/15 timeline, I'd look at, maybe a $500 put (costs about $20 right now). 

Should...should I get into trading options? lol

TSLA closed at $361 yesterday and they're far outpacing the market in their downward trend over the last month.

Very Stable Genius

Another one that has been going gangbusters even through (perhaps even because of) the coronavirus recession is Zoom Video Communications (ZM).

I've never actually used it myself but I've been confronted with it twice in the past day now: Once when it was recommended by the Motley Fool, and then right on cue, a board that I'm on just scheduled its next meeting--for the first time ever--via Zoom.  so I'm about to find out how it works.

• Like 1

Athersys, which was being discussed in the Cleveland Biotech thread, is up another 12% to $2.10 or so today on 4.5 million shares traded by 11AM.  If you want a fresh dose of enthusiasm for this stock, listen to their earnings conference call of March 16th. I've never heard financial analysts so all-in in support of a company.

Disclosure: I bought some ATHX last January.

Webcast:

https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/console/EventConsoleApollo.jsp?&eventid=2187413&sessionid=1&username=&partnerref=&format=fhaudio&mobile=&flashsupportedmobiledevice=&helpcenter=&key=AF0EB0395731CD0A11E07D69A34130AD&newConsole=false&nxChe=false&text_language_id=en&playerwidth=748&playerheight=526&eventuserid=277740146&contenttype=A&mediametricsessionid=232836373&mediametricid=3090620&usercd=277740146&mode=launch

Edited by Dougal
  • Like 1

^Dude, they had $300,000 in revenues for the quarter. They lost $35 million mainly from R&D for the year and they have $35 million cash on hand.  Lets not pump this too hard for people on this board. Its got a great and important story.  But everything is still in testing. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, audidave said:

^Dude, they had $300,000 in revenues for the quarter. They lost $35 million mainly from R&D for the year and they have $35 million cash on hand.  Lets not pump this too hard for people on this board. Its got a great and important story.  But everything is still in testing. 

No argument; it's a risk. Developmental biotechs are always cliff-hangers - years of cash-burn before they have significant sales.  At the present time, though, this one looks as if they'll make it to market before the cash runs out again.

^It does look like it has positive clinical trials going on in Japan.  The question would be, say they get approval by June even(trump panic), how fast would it be for them to start ramping up production and deployment?  Are they using stem cells to create multistem? I would think that would limit how fast this could be ramped up, if so. 

Cincinnati's over-achieving home-schooled family:

There's nothing these parents won't do to be king of the home-schoolers. Let's act like we're teaching our kids how to handle money while we're really just showing off that we don't have jobs but somehow have all of this money. 

Edited by jmecklenborg

10 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Cincinnati's over-achieving home-schooled family:

There's nothing these parents won't do to be king of the home-schoolers. Let's act like we're teaching our kids how to handle money while we're really just showing off that we don't have jobs but somehow have all of this money. 

Why do you care so much about what random people on Youtube are doing? 

13 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

Why do you care so much about what random people on Youtube are doing? 

Because youtube rewards shamelessness.  Perhaps 5% of all American families with 6 kids could pull this stunt, and 90% of those inherited the means to do so.  The discovery of their channel several years ago (I was watching Appalachian Trail videos when I stumbled upon their self-congratulatory documentation of their family's hike) turned me steeply against home schooling, a fringe activity that I had no opinion about beforehand. 

Teenagers need to be out there being yelled at by terrible coworkers and terrible owners at terrible jobs.  They need to experience the coke head shift manager who is skimming the tips.  They need to be tricked into lending money to scumbag coworkers.  They need the no-nonsense boss who won't shut up about his career in The Marines but it turns out he was never in The Marines.  They need to watch the one guy who isn't in the family trick the family into trusting him and distrusting all of the honest people.    

I don't know about all of that, but anytime I see a big happy isolated family like the one in the video, you know it's a horror show behind closed doors. I mean, it looks like the father is about to f-uck his daughter in the opening scenes of "Why We Share a Bed" video. 

There are going to be a lot of desperate people looking to sell their homes ASAP, meaning prices will plummet like never before. 30 percent unemployment, growing debts and credit market nightmares = a lot of people will be unable to afford their homes and will need cash immediately, even at a fraction of the appraised value.

Investors are going to make a fortune. 

As for the commercial markets, stay far, far, far away. 

• Like 1

I do condo flips and I had two condos remaining that haven't moved in a long time. I've owned one since April 2019 and the other since September 2019. In the last two weeks, both went under contract. The second one went for my asking price.

BTW, as an aside, one of the condos is under contract from a woman relocating her family from California. She has other family here and wanted to get away from the high costs and traffic of the Bay Area.

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

1 hour ago, TBideon said:

I don't know about all of that, but anytime I see a big happy isolated family like the one in the video, you know it's a horror show behind closed doors. I mean, it looks like the father is about to f-uck his daughter in the opening scenes of "Why We Share a Bed" video. 

Wow, I definitely didn't see that one.  I'm at work so I can't be caught looking up a video like that!  There is usually a lot of weird stuff going on with families who flaunt their family.  Tons of photos of themselves in their home and at the office, over-the-top birthday parties, graduations, weddings, etc.  EVERYBODY LOOK AT US ME.  We used to get a Christmas card from some acquaintance that was completely over-the-top.  My dad made the habit of reading their year-in-review at our family's large Christmas get together.  The reading of the card was the highlight of the party for 4-5 years until you guessed it they divorced.    

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TBideon said:

There are going to be a lot of desperate people looking to sell their homes ASAP, meaning prices will plummet like never before. 30 percent unemployment, growing debts and credit market nightmares = a lot of people will be unable to afford their homes and will need cash immediately, even at a fraction of the appraised value.

I was already saving up to buy a rental property before all of this excitement.  I don't have enough cash to buy anything with cash so whatever I do will be dependent on conventional mortgages still existing, which they barely did in 2009.  

11 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

Teenagers need to be out there being yelled at by terrible coworkers and terrible owners at terrible jobs.  They need to experience the coke head shift manager who is skimming the tips.  They need to be tricked into lending money to scumbag coworkers.  They need the no-nonsense boss who won't shut up about his career in The Marines but it turns out he was never in The Marines.  They need to watch the one guy who isn't in the family trick the family into trusting him and distrusting all of the honest people.    

Seriously, why so misanthropic?  No one needs to experience this.  Ever.  It is not inevitable and no one should have a goal of making it inevitable just to "break" kids to the "real world."

1 hour ago, TBideon said:

Maybe, but banks don't generally want massive amounts of foreclosed properties on their hands if they see light at the end of the tunnel, i.e., a borrower that will be able to resume making payments if given a brief forbearance.  Now, if the temporary economic downturn becomes more structural, i.e., people are not actually able to go back to work even when the health-emergency shutdown ends, then banks may choose to foreclose because they don't have a viable exit strategy in continuing to work with their existing borrowers.  The federal government may also be prepared to make forbearance mandatory in many cases for those whose jobs were impacted by shelter-in-place orders.

Critically, I haven't seen that much evidence that banks are as overextended as they used to be.  Things have started to get a little silly in the last year, perhaps, but not like 2006-2007.  And, of course, that bubble inflated for years, arguably starting in 2003 or so.  Banks haven't been lending on zero equity and gambling on the equity prices increasing to justify loans that otherwise would be nonsensical for the borrower's income.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TBideon said:

We listed our rental condo a week before corona virus hit the US 😐

Obviously I don't know your specific situation, but there are going to be a lot of people looking to rent properties in the near future, as so many small businesses will be unable to reopen and large scale businesses will downsize. You may be better off looking at a home equity loan if you need cash as opposed to waiting out this... uncertainty. 

Edited by TBideon

2 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Obviously I don't know your specific situation, but there are going to be a lot of people looking to rent properties in the near future, as so many small businesses will be unable to reopen and large scale businesses will downsize. You may be better off looking at a home equity loan if you need cash as opposed to waiting out this... uncertainty. 

I have read elsewhere that some banks might start shutting down helocs, so I wouldn't count on getting the money.  

The appraiser just came to my house today.  It was like a 6-7 minute walk-through with a cheesy circa-2006 digital camera.  The guy didn't give a damn, he's making money.  I was quoted at 3.25% apr two weeks ago but they just dropped to 3.21%.  I'm getting greedy.  

55 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

I was quoted at 3.25% apr two weeks ago but they just dropped to 3.21%.  I'm getting greedy.  

I bought my house in 2008, right before the market crash.  Refinanced in '10 to 3.25% (this mortgage was just sold off to another servicer).   I need to do the math to see how much lower rates would need to go for it to make sense for me to try again.   

10 hours ago, Gramarye said:

Seriously, why so misanthropic?  No one needs to experience this.  Ever.  It is not inevitable and no one should have a goal of making it inevitable just to "break" kids to the "real world."

My dad shoved myself and my brothers out into the real world with almost zero guidance or financial support.  Whenever we asked for advice he'd give us intentionally bad advice to teach us to figure things out for ourselves.  You got yelled at if you asked to borrow $300 for a car repair and don't even think about asking him to cosign on an apartment lease. 

Working bad jobs is critical for learning how to function in dysfunctional environments.  You're often the only or almost the only intelligent person in a swirl of emotion that relentlessly pulls you towards lying, stealing, drug use, cigarette smoking, scratch-off tickets, rims and car stereos, yelling, fist-fighting, playing in really bad bands, and dating coworkers. 

• Like 1

And no, for the 14th time I won't join your Nu-Metal band. I don't care how many people come to your gigs in Marion, at strip mall bars on Hilliard-Rome Road and in Newark.

Edited by GCrites80s

17 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

^I have had an unbelievable amount of people explode on me over the years for my refusal to do things that most of society considers to be wrong.

Earlier today I found a set of keys.  I asked the closest person if they were her keys.  She said yes.  Turns out they weren't her keys and she went out into the parking lot trying to get into cars.  

That's the kind of stuff you won't learn in home school.  

This thing in today's NY Times is pretty ridiculous.  I'm certainly not a "seasoned" investor, but I find paper losses to be much less stressful than paper gains.  Paper losses - you just don't sell.  Paper gains?  I find myself constantly thinking about selling.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/business/stock-market-pandemic-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

10 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Athersys is killing it today. it's up to $2.45

It was a good day for them news-wise....

HEALIOS K.K. Increases Investment in Athersys by Fully Exercising Warrant to Acquire Additional Shares

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/healios-k-k-increases-investment-100000701.html

Athersys up 14% on additional $7M capital infusion

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3556381-athersys-up-14-on-additional-7m-capital-infusion

Athersys Sees 4 Million Share Insider Buy From Partner Running COVID-19 ARDS Trial In Japan

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4335008-athersys-sees-4-million-share-insider-buy-from-partner-running-covidminus-19-ards-trial-in

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Just now, KJP said:

It was a good day for them news-wise....

HEALIOS K.K. Increases Investment in Athersys by Fully Exercising Warrant to Acquire Additional Shares

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/healios-k-k-increases-investment-100000701.html

Athersys up 14% on additional $7M capital infusion

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3556381-athersys-up-14-on-additional-7m-capital-infusion

Athersys Sees 4 Million Share Insider Buy From Partner Running COVID-19 ARDS Trial In Japan

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4335008-athersys-sees-4-million-share-insider-buy-from-partner-running-covidminus-19-ards-trial-in

that infusion will give the a bit more runway.