Jump to content
Guest KJP

Cleveland: West Park / Kamms Corners: Development and News

Recommended Posts

So it looks like they are just marketing the old K-mart building, not necessarily focusing on new construction, just making the parcels "available".  I would imagine that would mean the TJ Maxx would be just added into part of the existing Kmart structure. I agree with what other have said, some street frontage is definitely needed on Lorain there to make it more walkable, and what KJP mentioned about TOD would be exciting, but looking through this companies portfolio doesn't provide too much hope on any of those fronts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Kamm's Corners website....

 

IMG_2614-600x450.jpeg

 

KCDC Statement on Former K-Mart Property

JANUARY 14, 2019

 

KAMM’S CORNERS – Many people in our neighborhood are curious about what’s next for the plaza formerly occupied by Kmart. All of us at Kamm’s Corners Development Corporation are just as interested and have been in regular contact with the New York City-based owners of the property. The company also owns the building containing Rubin’s Family Restaurant and the Dollar General store, along with the associated parking lots. They also recently purchased the apartment building that housed Cowan’s Pub, but do not own the former Ohio Pipe property to the east or any property to the south.

 

Last Friday, we had a phone conversation with the owner who told us he hopes to divide the Kmart building into three or four retail bays. He’s talking with several quality retailers for these spaces and is also fielding inquiries about out-parcels. He does not plan to announce anything until several of the building blocks are put together.

 

He feels confident he can re-develop the property with uses that will appeal to our neighborhood. He is keenly aware about our community and the relative wealth that is nearby, as well as the high traffic counts at the corner of Lorain and W. 150th. He has more than 20 shopping centers nationwide in the company’s portfolio, which bodes well for us to attract quality retail to further enhance West Park.

 

There is a lot of speculation about the next tenants of this important corner of our neighborhood, but there is no news at this point to share about next steps. We look forward to a future conversation with the owner where he’s able to share some concrete information about the property’s future.

 

We’re always here to answer your questions not only about this developing story, but about other issues affecting our neighborhood. We encourage you to reach out to us!

 

 

http://kammscorners.com/kcdc-statement-on-former-k-mart-property/

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My graduate capstone class is working with KCDC to create a redevelopment plan for the eastern West Park area, especially the vacant/underutilized lots and buildings along the rapid line [TOD emphasis]. I'm really excited to be working on this as my exit project. 

 

Here's a link to some previous projects: CSU Levin MUPD Studio Proejcts

 

SA.thumb.png.d688781b0a012462f00c7d88b5389f4c.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool. I hope that there's some incentives focused in this area to turn this and the KCDC masterplan of 5+ years ago into tangible development.

  • Like 4

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TPH2 said:

That's awesome. Mine was the Geauga Lake project from a few years ago (http://levin.urban.csuohio.edu/geaugalake100/), which ended up being fun, but I would have much rather done a TOD site in the city. I look forward to seeing what you guys do with it. 

 

 

 

That project looks great though!! I’m really excited. I love TOD, and I think Kamm’s is the perfect opportunity for it. The area has a lot of assets to build upon. We’re even going to be looking at some of the excess parking areas of the station itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us are....

 

 

  • Like 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool project! Hope it leads to something creative and transit-supportive (I like that they supported the idea of moving the RTA station to next to/above Lorain Avenue, even though it is presented as a long-range concept)....

 

survey-400x432.jpg

 

http://www.connectingwestpark.com/

 

Capstone Planning Exercise

 

We were proud to partner with Cleveland State University to be part of its Capstone Study for the 2019 Urban Studies graduating class.

 

We asked students to examine the area on the map above, which includes the West Park Rapid Station, the former Kmart property and adjacent industrial parcels. Students surveyed more that 2,100 people and collected a huge amount of data that will be very helpful to our organization and the neighborhood in the future.

 

The study’s goal was to distill resident’s input into scenarios for potential development. We’re excited about the student’s ideas, but it is important to recognize their study is a planning exercise. Further work will need completed to determine if some of the ideas can become reality.

 

If you have a question or wish to comment on the plan, email Ben Campbell, Director of Commercial and Industrial Development.

 

Our organization continues to collaborate with property owners to include input we receive from our key stakeholders. The staff and board understand that it’s through these discussions that our neighborhood will remain one of Cleveland’s best.

 

###

  • Like 4

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJP said:

Cool project! Hope it leads to something creative and transit-supportive (I like that they supported the idea of moving the RTA station to next to/above Lorain Avenue, even though it is presented as a long-range concept)....

 

survey-400x432.jpg

 

http://www.connectingwestpark.com/

 

Capstone Planning Exercise

 

We were proud to partner with Cleveland State University to be part of its Capstone Study for the 2019 Urban Studies graduating class.

 

We asked students to examine the area on the map above, which includes the West Park Rapid Station, the former Kmart property and adjacent industrial parcels. Students surveyed more that 2,100 people and collected a huge amount of data that will be very helpful to our organization and the neighborhood in the future.

 

The study’s goal was to distill resident’s input into scenarios for potential development. We’re excited about the student’s ideas, but it is important to recognize their study is a planning exercise. Further work will need completed to determine if some of the ideas can become reality.

 

If you have a question or wish to comment on the plan, email Ben Campbell, Director of Commercial and Industrial Development.

 

Our organization continues to collaborate with property owners to include input we receive from our key stakeholders. The staff and board understand that it’s through these discussions that our neighborhood will remain one of Cleveland’s best.

 

###

 

I forgot to update this! But yes, its something we discussed moving the station a lot. The station was remodeled 20 years ago, so it really could use an upgrade. When looking at similar projects throughout the city, especially the Little Italy Station, it seemed really doable. However, it didn't seem to be a high priority for RTA. Also, there's not a lot of space down there that they can work with, and would probably have to acquire property. Keeping the bus station close to the rapid entrance is important since this station also serves as a layover for 5 bus routes. Between the post office, bus rodeo, and sea of parking (that has a daily average of 130 cars,) the site is severely underutilized. It's also very disconnected from the neighborhood. To me, it makes sense to have some sort of housing development on the site versus swaths of underutilized land. 

 

The Final Presentation has a lot of great information put together by a very talented class.

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, imjustinjk said:

 

I forgot to update this! But yes, its something we discussed moving the station a lot. The station was remodeled 20 years ago, so it really could use an upgrade. When looking at similar projects throughout the city, especially the Little Italy Station, it seemed really doable. However, it didn't seem to be a high priority for RTA. Also, there's not a lot of space down there that they can work with, and would probably have to acquire property. Keeping the bus station close to the rapid entrance is important since this station also serves as a layover for 5 bus routes. Between the post office, bus rodeo, and sea of parking (that has a daily average of 130 cars,) the site is severely underutilized. It's also very disconnected from the neighborhood. To me, it makes sense to have some sort of housing development on the site versus swaths of underutilized land. 

 

The Final Presentation has a lot of great information put together by a very talented class.

There used to be a diner in this station and a huge parking lot full of cars stacked up on the sides to fit in on any weekday.  Used to be a really busy station.

 

It needs businesses around it, not so much an apartment building or ''condos'' and creating jobs and businesses people will go to along all along the line, especially downtown.

Edited by Oxford19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TOD mixes businesses and residential, especially vertically mixed. The plan contains many good visual examples of transit-supportive land uses and placements.

  • Like 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxford19 said:

There used to be a diner in this station and a huge parking lot full of cars stacked up on the sides to fit in on any weekday.  Used to be a really busy station.

 

It needs businesses around it, not so much an apartment building or ''condos'' and creating jobs and businesses people will go to along all along the line, especially downtown.

 

It's actually still a very busy station. It has the 3rd highest ridership out of RedLine stations, but most riders are via buses that feed into the station. 

47 minutes ago, KJP said:

TOD mixes businesses and residential, especially vertically mixed. The plan contains many good visual examples of transit-supportive land uses and placements.

 

We proposed heavy residential with transit-oriented retail, restaurants and other services around the station. We envisioned a large central plaza around the station if it were to stay in its current location with apartments facing inward on the plaza, and first floor retail, as well some retail on the plaza like you see with Rebol on Public Square. We also proposed some townhouses further back from the station, which would still provide density, but cater to the neighborhood and be a "step down" between the apartments and the surrounding neighborhood. 30% of surveyors (out of over 2,000) said they wanted to see townhouse developments. Many also said they wanted to see senior housing, so we incorporated that into our plans as well. We were looking at about 32 units per acre in the area we defined as developable, which is way higher than West Park as a whole which has fairly suburban densities. I worked on the "TOD team". We were trying to figure out how to create a denser development, while still fitting into the fabric of the neighborhood and meeting TOD standards. 

 

Siteplan_Clean_SMALLER.thumb.jpg.0f109cb353b2357d0f3e95932a078433.jpg

 

massing.thumb.png.f6ca8effc8fc39ea373079508af7806b.png

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did the plan propose for the former Harley Davidson dealership? I don't recall seeing anything in the document.


"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KJP said:

What did the plan propose for the former Harley Davidson dealership? I don't recall seeing anything in the document.

 

Here is the Google Slide Version of the powerpoint, which is better quality and in presentation mode includes various animations, which is what we presented at CSU. The neighborhood presentation is more condensed because it is so long. The "Lorain Corridor team" dealt with everything outside of the station and KMart/Industrial area roughly between the library and the station entrance. There were a variety of proposals, including an international food market which would work with the Hope Center, refugees, etc. There was also proposals for more retail/and or housing. The corner lot area could also serve as a bus layover area and station if the station to be moved down. North of the site where the Cleveland facilities are, the group who worked on that area, proposed a park. Slide 91-100 deals with Kamden Village to the entrance of the station. also proposed to extend Bartter to Lloyd Peterson, amongst other new connections. The document we gave to Kamm's Development was a lot more in depth. 

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh...OK

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Poison 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Like 1

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairview Hospital touts recent U.S. News & World Report rankings

While it's awesome to see our local hospital do so well in the rankings, the thing that really struck me came in the last paragraph of the article.  

 

“There’s a big strategic plan for Fairview Hospital still on the drawing board,” Smith said. “There will be an expansion of a considerable amount of the Fairview campus going forward.”

 

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/08/fairview-hospital-touts-recent-us-news-world-report-rankings.html

 

Very interesting... There happens to be a vacant building and plenty of surface parking for expansion plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is interesting to hear. 


"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's good street level retail and street life in that area. This being the Clinic now, I truly hope they don't just sh*t all over the neighborhood and tear existing buildings with street level retail in them to replace them with cold glass blank wall.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Pugu said:

There's good street level retail and street life in that area. This being the Clinic now, I truly hope they don't just sh*t all over the neighborhood and tear existing buildings with street level retail in them to replace them with cold glass blank wall.

Agreed.  Hopefully the planning commission would reign them in where there is already life (unlike the main campus).  

 

Not surprised at the expansion at all--it's always crazy busy there, parking is packed.  Probably picking up some of the slack for the Lakewood closure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digging this up from another thread a few years ago.  Wonder if there plans are the same (unfortunately the picture of the flyer was lost in the forum outage).

 

On 9/29/2016 at 9:17 AM, tj111 said:

First of all, that brewery is Working Class Brewery, should be opening up sometime in 2017. https://www.facebook.com/ohioworkingclassbrewery

 

The other update is this letter being distributed around Kamms saying the the Clinic is putting in a new parking structure on top of a surface lot and allegedly where the (now former) Cafe Falafel building is.  Rumor has is that the Clinic has been strong-arming Cafe Falafel for a while and finally got their way when he closed down a few weeks ago (looking to relocate).  Here is a link to the location: https://goo.gl/maps/zcuvy9MoANv

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RE Developer In Training said:

I could see that Falafel building coming down and parking going right there followed by hospital expansion on the surface lots backing up to the metroparks

 

I wonder what the chances are the city requires ground level retail for a parking deck? Not a huge fan of Kamm's in general, but there is something to be said about the strip of shops and retail they have on Lorain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last one of these affordable housing posts today, sorry for the spam!

Latest round of state affordable tax credits! Franciscan Annex is a proposed development of 63 new construction units of senior housing being added to an existing complex of 174 units.

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2020/SeniorUrban/FranciscanVillageApartments.pdf

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tykaps said:

Last one of these affordable housing posts today, sorry for the spam!

Latest round of state affordable tax credits! Franciscan Annex is a proposed development of 63 new construction units of senior housing being added to an existing complex of 174 units.

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2020/SeniorUrban/FranciscanVillageApartments.pdf


It’s not spam when it’s useful and interesting and exactly the kind of info people come here for. Thank you!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tykaps said:

Last one of these affordable housing posts today, sorry for the spam!

Latest round of state affordable tax credits! Franciscan Annex is a proposed development of 63 new construction units of senior housing being added to an existing complex of 174 units.

https://ohiohome.org/ppd/proposals/2020/SeniorUrban/FranciscanVillageApartments.pdf

I’m surprised we don’t see more development in Kamm’s Corners.  The median income there has to be 6 figures.  Not that I’m a development strategist but the area to me just feels ripe for growth.  And I do love me some West Park bars.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres pretty steady development going on here, just nothing sexy and exciting like other neighborhoods. Several storefronts and buildings have been renovated and have new businesses in them, the Animal Hospital tore down two buildings in its gear up for a major expansion. It's a slower, steadier neighborhood for sure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Building permit was filed online for the new Animal Hospital expansion at 4117 Rocky River. 17,600 sq ft of new construction according to the permit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3885 Rocky River Dr., formerly a Fifth Third Bank branch, changed hands on December 31st.  My BIL told me he believes the same people that own Treehouse in Tremont have been there serving up free meals to anyone effected by Covid-19.  Anyone know if they’re in fact the new owners and is it known if there are plans to convert the building to a bar/restaurant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure who the folks behind Treehouse are, but that property transferred 12/31/19 to an individual named Kevin Mooney. From the deed, his tax address  is a home in Rocky River. Interesting the property should be in his personal name, because a mortgage was taken out in the name of 22650 Vess LLC - which is not registered with the Secretary of State (unregistered LLCs are not supposed to own property in the county, so perhaps that's why it's in his name). LLC address is listed at 22650 Vess Rd, Glenmont OH (per the mortgage) which appears to be a cabin in Mohican park. Imo its a shady transaction, though a sloppy one.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

Not sure who the folks behind Treehouse are, but that property transferred 12/31/19 to an individual named Kevin Mooney. From the deed, his tax address  is a home in Rocky River. Interesting the property should be in his personal name, because a mortgage was taken out in the name of 22650 Vess LLC - which is not registered with the Secretary of State (unregistered LLCs are not supposed to own property in the county, so perhaps that's why it's in his name). LLC address is listed at 22650 Vess Rd, Glenmont OH (per the mortgage) which appears to be a cabin in Mohican park. Imo its a shady transaction, though a sloppy one.

Ha.. terrific 😖

 

Edit: It actually looks like Kevin Mooney will be using this property for his catering business, per an article in today’s PD Travel section titled “Ohio is for Tree Lovers”.

 

.. couldn’t find it on Cleveland.com

Edited by Sapper Daddy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...