Sign in to follow this  
Guest taestell

Portland: Developments and News

After many years of failed attempts, a redevelopment of the 14 acre USPS facility in the Pearl District is finally moving forward. The Portland Development Commission has acquired the property, which is prime real estate, located right next to Portland Union Station and right beside a number of streetcar and light rail routes.

Here's what the development could look like:

broadway_corridor_charrette_04_img_01.jpg

Here's what the site looks like now.

That greenspace is silly, considering Jamison Park is a block away.  One little greenspace would be fine but two/three blocks worth?  Please.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I just came back from Portland and I'm very impressed by the amount of development that has happened since my last visit 4 years ago.

Pearl District continues to grow block by block and almost all of the vacant blocks have now been filled with new development. It seems like some of the smaller, warehousey buildings have been demolished and replaced with larger structures. For reference, here's how the "neighborhood" looked before and what it looks like now. I would say it's mostly built out except for the new Broadway Corridor project replacing the USPS facility.

South Waterfront has grown a lot as well. On my last visit, the area just felt like a few modern glass towers were thrown up in a former brownfield site. This visit, it actually feels like a neighborhood. Two new OHSU buildings and several more residential buildings have gone up, there was lots of activity in the park, storefronts filled with businesses catering to the neighborhood residents, etc. A local resident was telling me about the Zidell Yards development which is a massive plan to redevelop the last remaining gap between Tilikum Crossing (new light rail bridge) and the aerial tram, but is apparently on hold right now due to a dispute between the developer and the city. There is also some discussion that if Portland lands an MLB team, that site could be used for the new stadium. It would be about the perfect location transit-wise, right next to a transit/ped/bike only bridge that carries the new light rail and streetcar extensions, and the aerial tram as well.

Finally, things are finally starting to happen east of the river along the latest streetcar extension. Parking lots are being replaced by new infill buildings near many of the streetcar stops. There is still a long way to go, however, as those streets are still very pedestrian unfriendly (the streetcar runs on one-way six-lane-wide streets in this area). Hopefully they can figure out a way to convert those streets to two-way eventually and do some traffic calming. I know that'll be difficult with all of the highway ramps but that should be their eventual goal.