Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boreal

City in the Cloud

Don't be intimindated by "The Cloud." It's nothing more than a marketing term for "a bunch of servers." Essentially just storing and retrieving data remotely, instead of on ones own local machine.

I do find it really interesting that San Francisco reduced its water consumption by 25% through a "cloud based analytics platform" (oooh, sexy-sounding terminology there!) I wonder what exactly they did and if it involved public interaction via mobile apps.

It says that in the Netherlands, patient medical records are accessible to Home Health Care providers. I'm not sure what I think about that. On one hand, such easy access to medical records could come in handy but on the other hand, you wonder if confidential medical records might become TOO accessible and susceptible to hacking. Still, isn't it funny that the Netherlands are that advanced, yet, in America, medical records are often times not even digitized yet. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know that when I've gone to the ER or dentist, it seems that unless I go somewhere "in-network" (i.e. the same company) the doctors never seem to be aware of any of my medical history. It would certainly be beneficial if all of our medical records were consolidated in one centralized database and accessible not just to all doctors but folks like paramedics who arriving to a scene, pharmacists, etc. We're a much bigger country with a lot more records and if the Netherlands has universal healthcare, that might play a role in how easy it is to consolidate all of the records. I don't know.

It is an accomplishment that all of my tests, my medical history, and family medical history are organized at the Cleveland Clinic. My doctor can confidently recommend medications with a quick assessment of what other medications I am on.