• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest taestell

Google Maps

Maybe satellite mapping technology will become so good that Google doesn't need to run Street View cars anymore. Alternatively, Google could just put Street View cameras on top of its Waymo self-driving cars and get updated imagery of major streets on an hourly basis instead of once a year.

There are suburbs of Cincinnati that have had residential streets mapped 3 times. We don't need updated streetviews on quiet residential streets.

"Honey come look, this picture was taken back when we owned the Equinox."

Google Maps Street View has new images from August 2017 for many OTR streets.

https://goo.gl/maps/QEQaHkAJnaz

The Google Street View car was in OTR today. So they're refreshing the images that are ~9 months old. Good news for all of us that use the time machine feature, as parts of the neighborhood are changing really quickly.

I also came across this article talking about the latest generation of Street View cars. They have 2 LIDAR sensors, so they're essentially building a 3D model of the streets they drive down.

When your town has a street festival, but for some reason doesn't close down the street to cars, and the Google Street View Car drives down that street...

Meanwhile, the City of Cincinnati throws a collective tantrum at the mere idea of the streetcar crossing through Taste of Cincinnati. Folks in rural Indiana seemed to do just fine with hundreds - perhaps even thousands of cars speeding through their festival, yet Cincinnatians can't be expected to move a few feet out of the way once ever 15 minutes when a large train comes through at 2MPH? We should get the festivals back up to Fountain Square and use this town as a precedent.

The Google Car doesn't make it through most of Appalachia very much. I think they focus on areas that people look up often. People in that region spend a lot of time on Facebook rather than on the rest of the internet.

Possibly another reason:

https://mashable.com/2016/03/12/google-street-view-pulled-over/#h5o_TlpEePqX

Over in the Wheeling, WV thread, I was shocked to read "I would put a Street View link here, but Wheeling has almost no coverage somehow..."

How can that be!? Remote areas of the desert and mountains in CA are in Google Streetview, but a long established town on a major highway is not?

When your town has a street festival, but for some reason doesn't close down the street to cars, and the Google Street View Car drives down that street...

#PeakAmerica ;D

There's even a stage with a band!

And the seats to watch them play are across the street. ;D ;D

They'd better hope Dokken doesn't drive through on the back of a semi!

It's not so obvious in the video (probably by design) but in this still you can see that Don's weight issues weren't brand new at Monsters '88.  Now that I think about it, Day 1's temps may have been part of why they were so off sync Day 2.

Bet I can guess how the role of "truck driver" was cast.  #CDLnotrequired.

#PeakAmerica ;D

There's even a stage with a band!

And the seats to watch them play are across the street. ;D ;D

They'd better hope Dokken doesn't drive through on the back of a semi!

It's not so obvious in the video (probably by design) but in this still you can see that Don's weight issues weren't brand new at Monsters '88.  Now that I think about it, Day 1's temps may have been part of why they were so off sync Day 2.

Bet I can guess how the role of "truck driver" was cast.  #CDLnotrequired.

Yeah but Wild Mick Brown and Pilson had probably been doing coke all night for days at Monsters of Rock

Apparently the Apple Maps street view vans will be driving around Butler County tomorrow.

NPR did a story last week on how Google Maps came about.  It was accelerated by the Iraq War because CNN bought the rights to the technology around 2003 to have go-to imagery for its 24-hour coverage.  Then Google bought it from the little-known startup in 2004 or 2005 for a ridiculous sum. 

^ Huh. The only reason I wanted to swing by that place was to see what it was like, but I guess that took care of that.