gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

It's a way to show Trump that not everybody in the country agrees with him

ummmm, that's why we had an election.

OK so by that logic you should have kept your mouth shut during 8 years of Obama which I highly doubt you did. Because apparently you're not allowed to say anything after an election. Guess I missed that part of the first amendment..

Political minorities and election losers have the right to make themselves heard. That's part of why we have free speech and I think you know that.

The question is why do so many people feel the need to do this, so early on?

OK so by that logic you should have kept your mouth shut during 8 years of Obama which I highly doubt you did. Because apparently you're not allowed to say anything after an election. Guess I missed that part of the first amendment.

there's a big difference between peacefully protesting the policies of a President once in office and rampaging in the streets 2 minutes after election day angry that your candidate wasn't chosen. Apparently to you there's no distinction.

The End of Identity Liberalism

It is a truism that America has become a more diverse country. It is also a beautiful thing to watch. Visitors from other countries, particularly those having trouble incorporating different ethnic groups and faiths, are amazed that we manage to pull it off. Not perfectly, of course, but certainly better than any European or Asian nation today. It’s an extraordinary success story.

But how should this diversity shape our politics? The standard liberal answer for nearly a generation now has been that we should become aware of and “celebrate” our differences. Which is a splendid principle of moral pedagogy — but disastrous as a foundation for democratic politics in our ideological age. In recent years American liberalism has slipped into a kind of moral panic about racial, gender and sexual identity that has distorted liberalism’s message and prevented it from becoming a unifying force capable of governing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html

I am OK with the protests on Trump, I guess more so if they are for equality, etc.  I am not for stuff like shutting down an Interstate because Trump was elected.

Things like Black Lives Matter, etc. protesting killings of blacks by police, shutting down a highway, though I think it is highly dangerous, I don't have too much of a problem with that.

You all are right that anyone but Trump probably wouldn't cauase this reaction... well maybe Ted Cruz.  But at the same time, would everyone else have beat Hillary Clinton, no matter who the R nominee was?  The fact of the matter is that Clinton could not get people to come out and vote for her in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, heck almost Minnesota flipped to Red.

She didn't get them out to vote because she didn't work to get their vote.  Even if we can't ever bring back all the jobs that were lost in manufacturing, etc., we can slow it down.  My mom worked for a plant called Eaton in Belmond, IA.  It employed about 750 people, and they made fenders and other metal works parts for Caterpillar and a few other customers.

Caterpillar decided to build their own plant in China, have all the parts made there, then ship them over in containers to California, and rail them over to Peoria, IL to make their tractors.  I think the at least two Eaton plants in Iowa lost about 1,000 employess in the last year because of that move by Caterpillar.

I dare anyone to try to export a good over to China.  It may be the most difficult country to export to.  Yet if China wants to send anything over here, all they got to do is send over their label, SDS and specifications sheet and they are good to go. 

OK so by that logic you should have kept your mouth shut during 8 years of Obama which I highly doubt you did. Because apparently you're not allowed to say anything after an election. Guess I missed that part of the first amendment.

there's a big difference between peacefully protesting the policies of a President once in office and rampaging in the streets 2 minutes after election day angry that your candidate wasn't chosen. Apparently to you there's no distinction.

You don't get to choose the terms of when and why people should protest. If they want to take to the streets 2 minutes after election day, that's their prerogative. Wouldn't have happened for Mitt Romney. You should be thinking about what it is about Trump that has inspired so many to take this unprecedented step.

Public opinion always matters in Democracy because it pressures elected bodies. These protests could actually help to change how he handles his transition or change how members of congress approach his confirmation hearings for cabinet members. It definitely challenges his idea of a mandate and weakens his political capital, and that's how it's supposed to work. If people feel so passionately about it this early on, that's just part of the game. Stop saying they shouldn't protest and start countering their arguments.

The End of Identity Liberalism

It is a truism that America has become a more diverse country. It is also a beautiful thing to watch. Visitors from other countries, particularly those having trouble incorporating different ethnic groups and faiths, are amazed that we manage to pull it off. Not perfectly, of course, but certainly better than any European or Asian nation today. It’s an extraordinary success story.

But how should this diversity shape our politics? The standard liberal answer for nearly a generation now has been that we should become aware of and “celebrate” our differences. Which is a splendid principle of moral pedagogy — but disastrous as a foundation for democratic politics in our ideological age. In recent years American liberalism has slipped into a kind of moral panic about racial, gender and sexual identity that has distorted liberalism’s message and prevented it from becoming a unifying force capable of governing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html

I read this article this morning and I think it's very thought provoking. There's another like it:

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-the-working-class-and-the-left-fail-as-a-couple-and-what-to-do-about-it/

In the end I hope we can figure out a way to go forward in the way these articles are talking about, without throwing minority issues under the bus. There has to be a halfway point and Dems need to change how they communicate with the public at large.

The issue is that the republican party put a despicable person up versus Hillary so that voters had to decide which as if it really is a binary option. We've gone over the outrageous and disgusting things he said. Apparently that doesn't matter as they are just words. We've looked at his business acumen. It is prefty pathetic with all the bankruptcies. We can't look at his taxes and he has no public office audit trail to compare since he is an outsider.  He has had closing in on 5000 lawsuits he's been a part of. He just settled the Trump University lawsuit in California today for almost $25 million. That sounds a bit fraudulent to me. He's got a rape case coming up with a 13yr old.  I wonder how much he can pay her off for. She might take $10 million to keep her mouth shut.

This is why he is such a lousy businessman. He has to lie, cheat, and steal aka not pay for services rendered to get ahead. Eventually people get tired of trying to get their money or go out of business and Trump doesn't need to worry about paying them.  Or with the banks he gave them back 10 cents on the dollar and called it a day.

For anyone that has a care at all about foreign policy or digs deeper than headlines on any policy, it is obvious trump is only a gut level interest. We're back at W again.  At least W surrounded himself with a lot of his dad's advisors.  The guys Trump is surrounding himself with are pobably about the worst one could pick for these positions. I really wouldn't put it past Trump to put David Duke up for some minority outreach coordinator. 

Alright, roll call - has anyone been missing from Urban Ohio for the last few days?

Ohio Man Charged With Threatening Trump's Life on Twitter

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-man-charged-threatening-trump-s-life-twitter-n685656

Zachary Benson, 24, of the Cleveland suburb of Fairview Park, could face five years in prison if he's convicted of the single count of making threats against the president and successors to the presidency.

In an affidavit included in the criminal complaint, the U.S. Secret Service said Benson sent the threatening tweet in the wee hours of the morning on Nov. 9, the day after Election Day.

^He can't.  But his DOJ can and probably will look the other way on civil rights violations by the local authorities.  That is the real danger here.  Not that Trump and his team will be overtly racist, but that they won't do anything to stop racism by local authorities in "Kentucky USA"

I don't think he will look the other way on blatant civil rights violations, but I think he will be repeatedly accused of doing so. Eric Holder didn't take any heat for concluding that Darren Wilson did nothing wrong in Ferguson, Sessions would have been attacked by the media incessantly for drawing the same conclusion. The media will never give him a fair shake, anything he does will be assumed by the left to be racist.

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

The Right Way to Resist Trump

By LUIGI ZINGALES

NOVEMBER 18, 2016

Five years ago, I warned about the risk of a Donald J. Trump presidency. Most people laughed. They thought it inconceivable.

I was not particularly prescient; I come from Italy, and I had already seen this movie, starring Silvio Berlusconi, who led the Italian government as prime minister for a total of nine years between 1994 and 2011. I knew how it could unfold.

Now that Mr. Trump has been elected president, the Berlusconi parallel could offer an important lesson in how to avoid transforming a razor-thin victory into a two-decade affair. If you think presidential term limits and Mr. Trump’s age could save the country from that fate, think again. His tenure could easily turn into a Trump dynasty.

Mr. Berlusconi was able to govern Italy for as long as he did mostly thanks to the incompetence of his opposition. It was so rabidly obsessed with his personality that any substantive political debate disappeared; it focused only on personal attacks, the effect of which was to increase Mr. Berlusconi’s popularity. His secret was an ability to set off a Pavlovian reaction among his leftist opponents, which engendered instantaneous sympathy in most moderate voters. Mr. Trump is no different.

MORE:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/opinion/the-right-way-to-resist-trump.html

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Donald Trump settles Trump University lawsuits

Donald Trump has agreed to pay $25 million to settle three lawsuits against Trump University.

The deal will keep the president-elect from having to testify in a trial in San Diego that was set to begin November 28.

More below:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/18/news/trump-university-settlement/index.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Former Rep. John Dingell blasts 'deplorable' Trump Cabinet picks

With President-elect Donald Trump's preliminary Cabinet picks already gaining criticism, former Michigan Rep. John Dingell added his own personal disdain in a tweet Friday.

"Forget the basket. The truly deplorable ones end up in the Cabinet," said Dingell, who served in the House longer than any other representative in history, making reference to a statement Hillary Clinton made during the presidential race calling some Trump supporters a "basket of deplorables."

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/18/politics/john-dingell-donald-trump-tweet/index.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^He can't.  But his DOJ can and probably will look the other way on civil rights violations by the local authorities.  That is the real danger here.  Not that Trump and his team will be overtly racist, but that they won't do anything to stop racism by local authorities in "Kentucky USA"

I don't think he will look the other way on blatant civil rights violations, but I think he will be repeatedly accused of doing so. Eric Holder didn't take any heat for concluding that Darren Wilson did nothing wrong in Ferguson, Sessions would have been attacked by the media incessantly for drawing the same conclusion. The media will never give him a fair shake, anything he does will be assumed by the left to be racist.

First of all, that was not Holder's conclusion. That's like saying Comey found that Clinton did nothing wrong with her emails. Secondly, he faced a ton of blowback for his decision not to bring charges.

Sessions will rightful be viewed with a very skeptical eye. There were few picks that would have been worse for AG.  The ACLU is going to be needed more than it has been in recent times. That much is for sure.

"ACLU" - the four most offensive, stomach turning letters in the U-S-of-A. Well, after P-R-O-T-E-S-T, of course.

Why's that? Because they actually defend crazy concepts like free speech and equality?

When we are asked to apologize for an appeal for liberty, justice, and equality, then we as the United States of America are in serious trouble. Go f*ck yourself, Criminal Trump.

Trump demands apology from ‘Hamilton’ after cast’s message to Pence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/19/trump-demands-apology-from-hamilton-after-casts-message-to-pence/?tid=sm_fb

And do you know why, or are you just going to use that as a flimsy platform to make an ignorant point?

there are appropriate times and places to make one's point. I guess Mike Pence should have expected a certain amount of booing from the public while attending a performance in heavily Democrat and liberal New York (particularly for a politically-based show like Hamilton), which he got, as well as some applause. I don't know if he personally paid for the highly expensive tickets, but regardless, he was there to see a musical, not to be condescendingly lectured from the stage by the actors. If the cast was really interested in engaging Pence in a dialogue, they could have pre-arranged to meet with him after the show backstage to perhaps have a more in-depth conversation about fears they might have about a Trump administration, but this sort of grandstanding was highly unprofessional, to say the least. Since Hamilton is the most super-successful show in decades and there's no way a boycott can possibly affect ticket sales, this undoubtedly contributed to the hubris they had to feel they could get away with such a stunt.

The cast's statement gave me hope about about our ability to fight back against a turn to dark times. Trump's response to it quickly turned that hope to fear that those dark times are real, unavoidable and will be darker than most can possibly imagine...

In the meantime, how about a little levity...

People Are Trolling Mike Pence By Making Up Musicals About Him

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/name-a-pence-musical?utm_term=.dt7LNmNv3

I guess this is an example of the "diversity" that Mike Pence was lectured about by the Hamilton cast last night

31001641251_ef85dcdaee_z.jpg

Umm, yeah, companies that make theatre/movies/television/commercials are allowed to "discriminate" and hire people based on their race, height, weight, etc. Because, you know, if you have a role designed for a certain race and gender, you kinda have to hire a person of that race and gender to play that part...

there are appropriate times and places to make one's point. I guess Mike Pence should have expected a certain amount of booing from the public while attending a performance in heavily Democrat and liberal New York (particularly for a politically-based show like Hamilton), which he got, as well as some applause. I don't know if he personally paid for the highly expensive tickets, but regardless, he was there to see a musical, not to be condescendingly lectured from the stage by the actors. If the cast was really interested in engaging Pence in a dialogue, they could have pre-arranged to meet with him after the show backstage to perhaps have a more in-depth conversation about fears they might have about a Trump administration, but this sort of grandstanding was highly unprofessional, to say the least. Since Hamilton is the most super-successful show in decades and there's no way a boycott can possibly affect ticket sales, this undoubtedly contributed to the hubris they had to feel they could get away with such a stunt.

The left always likes to talk about the "rules of civility" whenever anyone questions political correctness. Make a joke about women? They'll call you an uncivilized brute. Act extremely rude to make a political point so you can feel good about yourself? They'll applaud you. These are the types of double standards the rest of the country is tired of, and one of the big reasons Trump won. The fact that so many can't realize that and just continue to dig deeper is sad.

Umm, yeah, companies that make theatre/movies/television/commercials are allowed to "discriminate" and hire people based on their race, height, weight, etc. Because, you know, if you have a role designed for a certain race and gender, you kinda have to hire a person of that race and gender to play that part...

Well, to some extent. No one seems to have any issues with a person of color playing a role of a character who is white, but the opposite is completely unacceptable.

Plus there's a difference between casting a certain character based on their appearance, skin color, sex, etc. and outright saying you're going to have any entire cast with no white people. Try producing a show with a casting call that specifies only "non-black" actors need apply, and see if you run into any trouble.

Here's an interesting take on Hamilton from a few months back:

http://www.pajiba.com/web_culture/whats-going-on-with-hamiltons-casting-call-.php

I guess this is an example of the "diversity" that Mike Pence was lectured about by the Hamilton cast last night

31001641251_ef85dcdaee_z.jpg

I wonder what roles were being filled with this particular casting call. Since many of the prominent historical figures in Hamilton were actually white, and are being played by black and Latino actors in the show, I assumed (I guess wrongly) that color-blind casting was more determinative than "a role designed for a certain race and gender."

Pence is a disgusting human being and a significant part of this truly shameful political era -- but the cast should not have gotten involved. It was unprofessional and a slap to the face to people in the audience who spent hundreds of dollars for a few hours of escapism.

This felt like Kanye at the Katrina event.

I thought the cast was eloquent and professional.  Nothing they said was rude or harassment.  DJT is a just a weak person.  Mike Pence heard him out and stayed in the lobby afterward for photos. 

Well, to some extent. No one seems to have any issues with a person of color playing a role of a character who is white, but the opposite is completely unacceptable.

Plus there's a difference between casting a certain character based on their appearance, skin color, sex, etc. and outright saying you're going to have any entire cast with no white people. Try producing a show with a casting call that specifies only "non-black" actors need apply, and see if you run into any trouble.

Here's an interesting take on Hamilton from a few months back:

http://www.pajiba.com/web_culture/whats-going-on-with-hamiltons-casting-call-.php

Jesus Christ!! 95 pct of shows are full of "non-black" actors!!! This is called giving an opportunity to other than white people, who get all the roles.

The speech was an examples of typical condescending, know-it-all, "I'm right you're wrong!" tone and style that the left has adopted over the last decade or so, and it is a huge turn off to the vast majority of Americans.  The guy was evening waving his finger - give me a break. The fact that it was done at a completely inappropriate time, to the detriment of so many paying customers was just exemplified the total lame-ness of the whole ordeal.

One interesting historical parallel here is that we all know how well things went the last time Hamilton taunted and insulted a vice president, don't we?

Hamilton-burr-duel.jpg

This is such a nothing issue. The cast used their free speech rights to make a point. They are not wealthy people that they can afford access to politicians or buy airtime to have their point heard. They were not rude. It was very civil. If this would happen to Obama or Biden It would be forgotten the next day. Right wingers are thin skinned that are upset about getting lectured by some minorities.

If you can't take the free speech rights then you can leave this country for many others on th world that are happy to crack down on free speech. In fact that is exactly what their speech was about. They are afraid that Trump is going to start cracking down on free speech and any other rights. Trump said he's all about stop and frisk.  He likes torture. Who knows what else his ego will try to subvert of rights that we expect as Americans.

Trump took the bait again.

So the thinking is that Trumpster blew this stupid thing up to have people stop talking about his $25 million settlement for fraud. They were seeking $100 million so i guess he did ok.

Besides ivanka hanging out with the Japanese PM during Trump's meeting being a conflict of interest. The wingnuts all had their pants in a bunch about Hillary's supposed pay for access. Trump is now pushing foreign diplomats to start booking at his brand new DC hotel if they are wanting to meet him. Bookings are starting to climb with foreign diplomats now. Sleazy fraudster.

This is such a nothing issue. The cast used their free speech rights to make a point. They are not wealthy people that they can afford access to politicians or buy airtime to have their point heard. They were not rude. It was very civil. If this would happen to Obama or Biden It would be forgotten the next day. Right wingers are thin skinned that are upset about getting lectured by some minorities.

If you can't take the free speech rights then you can leave this country for many others on th world that are happy to crack down on free speech. In fact that is exactly what their speech was about. They are afraid that Trump is going to start cracking down on free speech and any other rights. Trump said he's all about stop and frisk.  He likes torture. Who knows what else his ego will try to subvert of rights that we expect as Americans.

Trump took the bait again.

Trump absolutely took the bait.    And Pence handled it professionally, after all, he's used to getting slapped around for being stupid.  Remember that nice little "religious freedom" law he signed which sparked a national uproar against Indiana?  Nothing like staying beholden to your handlers, and in the meantime chasing away the NCAA, several corporations and potentially a Super Bowl.  His tail was quickly between his legs.