gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

Since no reporter in the White House pool has the stones to ask Trump "What is Easter and what does it mean to Christians?"  

22 hours ago, Toddguy said:

If Trump wants to get things "back to normal" by Easter he is going to be sadly mistaken. I think by that time the virus spread will be directing what he is able to do and not do. The situation will be very different in two weeks. He may have much more serious problems he has to deal with besides "getting America back to work".

If America goes "back to normal" in two or three weeks, millions of people across America will die completely avoidable deaths. Fortunately, I think the governors of most states will keep their own restrictions in place so that the number is reduced.

15 minutes ago, freefourur said:

^ Trump hasn't closed anything so he can't open anything. he's just creating a new distraction away from his failures.

True, but by making statements like this, Trump is setting the stage for some really scary stuff to happen. If Trump tells his followers to go out and live their lives normally, we might start to see far right business owners illegally reopening their businesses and citizens ignoring the governor's shelter-in-place orders. It's going to put us all at risk. If this happens en masse, how the police possibly crack down on it all at once? The only way these closures will be effective at stopping the spread of the virus is if the vast majority of citizens cooperate.

31 counties in Ohio have already passed "Second Amendment sanctuary" laws to own the libs, declaring that they simply will not enforce any gun control laws that the federal government passes. Will they also start passing "Chinese virus sanctuary" laws stating that sheriffs will no longer enforce any of the governor's business closure or shelter-in-place orders?

This stuff is scary enough as it is with most people staying calm and obeying the governor's orders. The last thing we need is large swaths of the population ignoring the orders, police and sheriff's departments rebelling, and diametrically opposing statements coming from governors and the president.

^ He’s itching for a States vs himself showdown and doesn’t care if it means his army of useful idiots kick off a civil war and/ or kill us all with CV19. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

AND, my own Twitter contribution.....

AND

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I know it's small potatoes right now, but how is it legal for Mark Meadows to be both a member of the legislative branch *and* (acting?) White House Chief of Staff?

Very Stable Genius

3 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:
This ad is wholly Trump's own words. Why the c&d?

Bully tactics.  Make them spend money to defend themselves.

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-says-will-fail-1m-goal-coronavirus-test-kits-2020-3

March 6th:

The White House says it will fail to meet its goal of providing enough coronavirus test kits for 1 million people by the end of the week

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-03-10/millions-of-coronavirus-test-kits-available-soon-pence-says-as-us-cases-top-700

TUESDAY, March 10, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Millions of much-needed testing kits for COVID-19 are on the way to clinics and labs nationwide, Vice President Mike Pence told reporters during a White House briefing Monday evening.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/03/26/the-us-has-tested-552000-people-for-coronavirus-thats-not-enough-says-comedian-kathy-griffin/#3e01edea5147

Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday the U.S. has tested 552,000 people for coronavirus

So where are these "million" tests that were coming MARCH SIXTH??

Very Stable Genius

I hope New York makes a deal with Canada or an overseas nation for ventilators. I suspect Michigan, Illinois and other states will follow suit. If the US government continues to pick winners and losers in this life-and-death struggle, he will force those states to declare their independence from a tyrant.

Trump is now thrashing about on Twitter trying to get GM and Ford to produce more ventilators. 

I'm not sure the orange man knows he can invoke the DPA to get them to do it - something he should have done weeks ago.

Very Stable Genius

"Just opening up the Lordstown plant" wouldn't even do any good if GM lacks the tooling and materials to get production up to 40,000 ventilators. I didn't even know car companies had the capability to make ventilators in-house.

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

4 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

"Just opening up the Lordstown plant" wouldn't even do any good if GM lacks the tooling and materials to get production up to 40,000 ventilators. I didn't even know car companies had the capability to make ventilators in-house.

I saw where Ford was using seat circulation fans to make respirators for healthcare workers. Making ventilators is a completely different task. Could we make any or enough for it to even matter at this point?

GM does not own the Lordstown plant. You would think the President would know that. That's what happens when government is run by fail sons.

27 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

and despite all that's been posted above, somehow Trump's approval rating is at an all-time-high....

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Pretty interesting thread on twitter from @drjasonjohnson regarding polling during crises. Sorry I can't seem to post a link. 

30 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Pretty interesting thread on twitter from @drjasonjohnson regarding polling during crises. Sorry I can't seem to post a link. 

This crisis is just unfolding.  Similar to Bush post-Katrina, there's an immediate bump, sort of "rallying around the flag."  Once people realize how bad Trump is handling this and begin to feel the effects, it's much more likely his approval rating falls.

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

There was an article I saw about how low his bounce has been compared to other crises though. The bounce he's gotten mainly consists of 17% of Democrats who approve.

In the end, I'm not sure coronavirus will impact the election much. Polarization is that strong.

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This crisis is just unfolding.  Similar to Bush post-Katrina, there's an immediate bump, sort of "rallying around the flag."  Once people realize who bad Trump is handling this and begin to feel the effects, it's much more likely his approval rating falls.

I agree with your assessment.  But we've all been wrong before.  Biden has suddenly become invisible...

8 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

I agree with your assessment.  But we've all been wrong before.  Biden has suddenly become invisible...

I've seen this repeated a lot online but it's not really true. Biden has been posting video updates from his house and doing interviews. Just so much of the media is focused on the daily briefings of elected officials and response efforts by the government (or lack thereof) that it is getting drowned out. 

24 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

Just so much of the media is focused on the daily briefings of elected officials and response efforts by the government (or lack thereof) that it is getting drowned out. 

so we're in agreement

Here's a good breakdown on the approval rating and a comparison to other President's approvals during their relevant crisis: https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Mar27.html#item-2

While some have been higher, some have had mild bumps. IMO these were taken just around the few days he actually acted "Presidential." It will be interesting to see if this trend continues in the wake of his call for an Easter revival of the economy. 

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

54 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

so we're in agreement

Sorry, I thought you meant he was MIA. I didn't realize you meant he wasn't getting any media attention. That is definitely true. 

This guy is so far into 25th Amendment territory, it's borderline comical/terrifying....

A year ago he credited GM for selling it. Why does anyone still support this armchair president? 

FB_IMG_1585336589580.jpg

Edited by KJP