gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Yeah as of tonight, this primary outperformed the 2008 primary (which was the best since 1992) in New Hampshire by nearly 15,000 votes.

But this is interesting...

I'll be interested to see how this tracks in the rust belt.  In the northeast, moderate crossovers are common.  In the rust belt, if people are crossing over, it's because someone who tailors their message to blue collar workers.  I'd imagine Bernie will outperform over here compared to middle of the road candidates just because Trump-voting blue collar workers also like his message.  It played out in MI that way in 2016 for sure.

And

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

14 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Yeah as of tonight, this primary outperformed the 2008 primary (which was the best since 1992) in New Hampshire by nearly 15,000 votes.

But this is interesting...

We're obviously getting a bit from the topic where this should be discussed, but '20 is different from '16.  In 2016, primaries were being contested in both parties.  In 2020, it's really only the Dem field that is competitive (unless you count Weld's 13k votes as competitive).  On top of that, NH passed new laws that made it harder for out-of-state college students to vote in the primary in 2020.  And on top of all that, NH is a semi-open (I believe) primary state.  So as Wasserman notes, there can be crossover from independents/unaffiliated voters.  Also, there are an increasing number of polls, interviews, etc. showing plenty of Democratic voters who don't particularly care about selecting the nominee and are just going to support whoever the nominee is in November.

Because there is so much different in 2020 from 2016, I don't think we can read much into turnout meaning much for either Trump/the GOP or the Dems.

Very Stable Genius

He nails it. So many despicable people (aka rudderless boats)....

50 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

We're obviously getting a bit from the topic where this should be discussed, but '20 is different from '16.  In 2016, primaries were being contested in both parties.  In 2020, it's really only the Dem field that is competitive (unless you count Weld's 13k votes as competitive).  On top of that, NH passed new laws that made it harder for out-of-state college students to vote in the primary in 2020.  And on top of all that, NH is a semi-open (I believe) primary state.  So as Wasserman notes, there can be crossover from independents/unaffiliated voters.  Also, there are an increasing number of polls, interviews, etc. showing plenty of Democratic voters who don't particularly care about selecting the nominee and are just going to support whoever the nominee is in November.

Because there is so much different in 2020 from 2016, I don't think we can read much into turnout meaning much for either Trump/the GOP or the Dems.

I am one of those people voting for whatever Dem gets the nomination.  I would suspect that if there were a lot of people with a similar position, that might actually lower overall primary turnout and wouldn't go toward explaining the record.  

5 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

John Kelly is trying to clean up his image now. He didn't do anything when he had a chance.  History should not remember him fondly. 

Just a reminder, Bill Barr foreshadowed his now very partisan and out-of-the norm actions he's taking in November in a speech given at a convention of the Federalist Society (which is truly WILD if you want to read or listen to the whole thing). https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-william-p-barr-delivers-19th-annual-barbara-k-olson-memorial-lecture

As I have said, the Framers fully expected intense pulling and hauling between the Congress and the President.  Unfortunately, just in the past few years, we have seen these conflicts take on an entirely new character.

Immediately after President Trump won election, opponents inaugurated what they called “The Resistance,” and they rallied around an explicit strategy of using every tool and maneuver available to sabotage the functioning of his Administration.

Right...Republicans never did this to Obama.  Never said their goal was to make him a one-term President.  It's just out and out bullsh** to not mention what the GOP did in the Obama years.

Congress has in recent years also largely abdicated its core function of legislating on the most pressing issues facing the national government.  They either decline to legislate on major questions or, if they do, punt the most difficult and critical issues by making broad delegations to a modern administrative state that they increasingly seek to insulate from Presidential control.  This phenomenon first arose in the wake of the Great Depression, as Congress created a number of so-called “independent agencies” and housed them, at least nominally, in the Executive Branch.  More recently, the Dodd-Frank Act’s creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Branch, a single-headed independent agency that functions like a junior varsity President for economic regulation, is just one of many examples.

This is the country's foremost attorney.  Why is he commenting AT ALL on what Congress is or is not prioritizing?

The fact of the matter is that, in waging a scorched earth, no-holds-barred war of “Resistance” against this Administration, it is the Left that is engaged in the systematic shredding of norms and the undermining of the rule of law.  This highlights a basic disadvantage that conservatives have always had in contesting the political issues of the day.  It was adverted to by the old, curmudgeonly Federalist, Fisher Ames, in an essay during the early years of the Republic. 

The AG is supposed to be NON PARTISAN and here is he decrying "the Left."  It's an almost exact replica of the Kavanaugh playbook.

In any age, the so-called progressives treat politics as their religion.  Their holy mission is to use the coercive power of the State to remake man and society in their own image, according to an abstract ideal of perfection.  Whatever means they use are therefore justified because, by definition, they are a virtuous people pursing a deific end. They are willing to use any means necessary to gain momentary advantage in achieving their end, regardless of collateral consequences and the systemic implications.

Again, just absolutely wild.

https://theweek.com/articles/879112/william-barrs-chilling-vision-unchecked-presidential-power

Barr's overarching claim in his Federalist Society remarks is that "the real 'miracle'" of the American founding is the "creation of a strong executive, independent of, and coequal with, the other two branches of government." In sharp contrast to "the grammar school civics class version of our revolution," according to which it was "a rebellion against monarchical tyranny," Barr asserts that by the time the American colonists took up arms against Great Britain, "their prime antagonist was an overweening parliament."

This is, to put it mildly, an unorthodox reading of the American Revolution. One reason why "grammar school civics" lessons emphasize King George III as the primary catalyst of the rebellion is that none other than Thomas Jefferson placed the king in the role of tyrannical usurper in the Declaration of Independence — the document in which the colonists sought to justify their actions before the world. After the ringing, universal rhetoric of the opening paragraphs, the Declaration sets out to defend the revolution by denouncing King George himself for attempting to establish an "absolute tyranny over these states." What follows is a list of 18 examples of such attempts, all of them beginning with the pronoun "He." The king himself, not parliament, is the provocation of the insurrection the American founders sought to lead.

"Since the mid-60s," he claims, "there has been a steady grinding down of the executive branch's authority. ... More and more, the president's ability to act in areas in which he has discretion has become smothered by the encroachments of the other branches." In particular, Barr wants to push back against "the knee-jerk tendency to see the legislative and judicial branches as the good guys protecting society from a rapacious would-be autocrat."

The core message of Barr's speech is that when the president does these things, and when Republicans defend his right to do them and attack those who seek to stop them, they are doing the right thing, the patriotic thing, the thing the founders would have them do. To be a good conservative and a good American is to defend Trump's authority to do what he wants. Sure he's "thrown out the traditional beltway playbook," but "he was upfront about that beforehand, and the people voted for him."

Call it the ultimate act of normalizing the Trump presidency. In Barr's ideal America — one in conformity with the intentions of the constitutional framers — Trump would have been able to impose the travel ban, end DACA, add a citizenship question to the census, and make American foreign policy in Eastern Europe serve his personal whims and conspiratorial obsessions without having to face any pushback from Congress or the courts. No subpoenas. No irritating injunctions. No pesky Freedom of Information Act requests. No endless investigations. Trump would simply lead, and everyone else would follow.

So Barr made a case that the American Revolution was actually a fight against parliamentary government - a slight deviation from actual history, to say the least - and praised the framers for creating a strong executive branch.  He then noted - again, mistakenly - that, actually, it's been the executive branch that has ceded ground to the legislative and judiciary in recent decades (LMAO).  He then foreshadowed a return to a "strong" executive branch under Trump and that it's "the left" that has been shredding norms and undermining the rule of law.

Since the end of impeachment, Barr has initiated a crackdown on “sanctuary cities,” filing three lawsuits trying to force the states to bow to Trump’s xenophobia. He’s started the process of investigating Trump’s political rivals (the president’s demand for an investigation into Hunter Biden, with the help of dirt dug up by Rudolph Giuliani, is now under way). And, over the past few days, he has intervened to try to spring Trump’s cronies from punishments for crimes they’ve already been convicted of.

Fed Soc invited this partisan hack to their convention.  No one cared that it seemed wildly out of place historically or that he was foreshadowing the very things he's doing now.  Hardly a peep out of Fed Soc or their members about what he's doing.  They have signed off on our slow creep to authoritarianism.  Barr has been normalizing this since he wrote the 20 page memo, the one in which he argued POTUS could *never* be found guilty of obstruction of justice.  Barr is better at this than Jeff Sessions was.  And our institutions are weak because really the only sign of any internal resistance or any sign that people in government are acknowledging this is way out of bounds are the four prosecutors from the Stone case who resigned this week.  That's it.

Part of the Fed Soc purpose states, "the separation of governmental powers is central to our Constitution."  What an absolute joke.  Thanks guys.

Very Stable Genius

14 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

apparently The NY Times doesn't know what it's talking about either. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/09/us/politics/iowa-caucuses-turnout-democrats.html

That was written on Feb 9th. You might recognize that as two days before the New Hampshire primary. It has nothing to do with the turnout in the NH primary. 

It's all out in the open now.  Trump is conditioning aid to a state based on whether it is pursuing lawsuits against him.  Well done, GOP.

There is no bottom.  He continues to go lower.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DEPACincy said:

That was written on Feb 9th. You might recognize that as two days before the New Hampshire primary. It has nothing to do with the turnout in the NH primary. 

yes, and I clearly mentioned Iowa in my original post which you conveniently chose not to address in your reply

Edited by eastvillagedon

So which economy is it?   A boom, or bust?  

I'm sure he just believes the Fox News line that all government employees are Democrats....

Trump Cuts Scheduled Federal Pay Raise, Citing “Serious Economic Conditions” in the Country

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/02/trump-cuts-scheduled-federal-pay-raise-serious-economic-conditions.html?fbclid=IwAR31dmgxT5G3csOk4PKERiZ9ULPVx-e2iD3GkQcyJMeUzliGb6DSR7wpJtg

And

These two deserve each other....

Edited by KJP

1 hour ago, KJP said:

To do his job...  Or to do what Trump wants him to do without bringing unwanted attention to how it's simply Trump's bidding?

2 hours ago, freefourur said:

Intimidate the prosecutors, the judge, and the jury.  Are we great again?

Ha! If only we could use the bias argument against the things he's doing... Nobody that ever voted Republican could ever be a part of a prosecution or investigation into a Democrat or Independent - lol it's so ridiculous yet it's the basis for so much of the right's arguments against the Mueller investigation and many other oversight actions. 

3 hours ago, freefourur said:

Intimidate the prosecutors, the judge, and the jury.  Are we great again?

This was based on information cherry picked by Michael Cernovich.  Somehow, I don't think he is a credible source of information.

4 hours ago, plinth857 said:

This was based on information cherry picked by Michael Cernovich.  Somehow, I don't think he is a credible source of information.

It's amazing how things make their way from pizzagate grifter to donnie. 

Edited by freefourur

11 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

I am one of those people voting for whatever Dem gets the nomination.  I would suspect that if there were a lot of people with a similar position, that might actually lower overall primary turnout and wouldn't go toward explaining the record.  

I am one of them as well. I also don’t  care about the primary. Whomever wins the democratic nomination, I’ll vote for them. I voted for McCain in 2012 but I’ll never vote for a Republican again, unless it’s a local election. my wife and most of my friends that were moderate Republicans have turned too. 

The appellate division presiding over the Senate takes its turn Nov. 3, 2020....

Just trust Trump

Edited by KJP

18 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

yes, and I clearly mentioned Iowa in my original post which you conveniently chose not to address in your reply

Are you being purposely thick? You said "NH and Iowa turnout was bad." I said "no actually NH turnout was great." Now you're saying "I wasn't lying because Iowa turnout was bad." 

Why would I mention Iowa in my reply? I was pointing out that you were wrong about NEW HAMPSHIRE. Yes, Iowa had lower turnout than 2016. But that was only half your statement. When it came to NH you were either lying or misinformed. Do you want to tell us which one it was? I swear to god you people are exhausting. 

10 hours ago, stpats44113 said:

I am one of them as well. I also don’t  care about the primary. Whomever wins the democratic nomination, I’ll vote for them. I voted for McCain in 2012 but I’ll never vote for a Republican again, unless it’s a local election. my wife and most of my friends that were moderate Republicans have turned too. 

I am one of them too.  I'm a democrat who has on rare occasions voted for local republicans who understand how cities work.  I like that Bloomberg understands cities, but any of the dems running will have my vote in November. None of them are perfect, but they are all decent IMO.

LOL 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/politics/william-barr-michael-flynn/index.html

Attorney General William Barr is ordering a re-examination of several high-profile cases, including that of former national security adviser Michael Flynn, US officials briefed on the matter say, in a move that could bring fresh scrutiny of the political motives behind actions at the Justice Department.

Cool, cool.  Very normal.

Very Stable Genius

And this is why he needs to resign...

This could upend a ton of successful and unrelated prosecutions. Everyone should be treated fairly and evenly and that's what the defense attorneys in the unrelated cases will argue.

Edited by KJP

One of the keys to understanding him is he's not a Savior or an Evil Dictator.  We elected a superattenuated teenager to the Oval Office.

As I'm one myself sometimes I find this kind of cool.   His base will love it, anyone bothered by it wasn't voting for him anyway:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/trump-daytona-500-the-beast-limo?fbclid=IwAR14t176tKRV1gqcOyD-tk9Vbd-D12oKH4QwvyDa-KpX3esuJ0LS-dshIDI

56 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

One of the keys to understanding him is he's not a Savior or an Evil Dictator.  We elected a superattenuated teenager to the Oval Office.

As I'm one myself sometimes I find this kind of cool.   His base will love it, anyone bothered by it wasn't voting for him anyway:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/trump-daytona-500-the-beast-limo?fbclid=IwAR14t176tKRV1gqcOyD-tk9Vbd-D12oKH4QwvyDa-KpX3esuJ0LS-dshIDI

Not bothered by it, but if this is all it takes to abandon the republic, we deserve to lose it and more.

Trump's appearance at the Daytona 500 pushed back the start time of the race by 2 hours (it normally starts in the 1 o'clock hour). That allowed rain to move in and stop the race twice. It has been moved to 4pm tomorrow with 20 laps complete. He ruined it for all those people who made the trip and paid to watch the race in person and have to go back to work tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

Trump's appearance at the Daytona 500 pushed back the start time of the race by 2 hours (it normally starts in the 1 o'clock hour). That allowed rain to move in and stop the race twice. It has been moved to 4pm tomorrow with 20 laps complete. He ruined it for all those people who made the trip and paid to watch the race in person and have to go back to work tomorrow.

#ETTD