gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

26 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Honestly, all those people voted against some very reasonable amendments already, so I seriously doubt we'll end up with any real support for witnesses.  We've seen this song and dance before, especially by those like Romney and Collins.  It's all "deeply concerned" before falling in line.  

I'm old enough to remember when Brett Kavanaugh was toast because Republicans weren't going to back him.

Very Stable Genius

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

His three voters aren't going to care.

But yeah, the Dem bench in Ohio isn't very deep.  I don't know who the "great" candidate would be to take on Portman.  Cordray and Strickland can't win statewide.  There's not even a statewide elected official who could make the jump.  And because the House districts are gerrymandered to hell, there isn't a House rep (outside of Tim Ryan, maybe) who isn't coming from a heavily-left leaning district.  Beatty in OH-3 (PVI of D+19), Kaptur in OH-9 (PVI of D+14), Fudge in OH-11 (PVI of D+32), and then Ryan in OH-13 (PVI of D+7).

Might be someone like Danny O'Connell from Jim Jordan's last race

4 hours ago, E Rocc said:

I think I'm pretty close to the kind of people they need to convince to make something happen.  Those who don't trust Trump, but aren't fond of the Dems either.

I woke up at 4am from a text, "please explain to me how this democrat witch hunt against the president is legal?" I knew it would be a long morning.

I did the best I could trying to explain from a non-partisan standpoint what was up, and in the most overly-simplistic manner (being this friend is from Ravenna and can't even understand time zones let alone legal procedure). But the funny thing is, after all these frustrating texts back and forth we actually just end up agreeing that the entire political system is just really really lousy. 

Just now, surfohio said:

I woke up at 4am from a text, "please explain to me how this democrat witch hunt against the president is legal?" I knew it would be a long morning.

I did the best I could trying to explain from a non-partisan standpoint what was up, and in the most overly-simplistic manner (being this friend is from Ravenna and can't even understand time zones let alone legal procedure). But the funny thing is, after all these frustrating texts back and forth we actually just end up agreeing that the entire political system is just really really lousy. 

See, respectfully, it's not though. 

The Founders have brought the proverbial horse to water - we're just not drinking. 

Just now, YABO713 said:

See, respectfully, it's not though. 

The Founders have brought the proverbial horse to water - we're just not drinking. 

They should have had the foresight to know voters would be idiots. Actually, they did. Voters are like the bad fuel that ruins an otherwise exquisitely designed engine. Sure the car still sorta runs, and beats walking, and arguably the best alternative.....but it's still lousy. 

Jan 8th., Trump - "No Americans were harmed in last night's attack."

Jan 22nd, Trump - "I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it's not very serious."

Today: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics/34-injuries-iran-missile-strike/index.html

Thirty-four US service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries following the Iranian missile attack on US forces in Iraq earlier this month, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Friday.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

His three voters aren't going to care.

But yeah, the Dem bench in Ohio isn't very deep.  I don't know who the "great" candidate would be to take on Portman.  Cordray and Strickland can't win statewide.  There's not even a statewide elected official who could make the jump.  And because the House districts are gerrymandered to hell, there isn't a House rep (outside of Tim Ryan, maybe) who isn't coming from a heavily-left leaning district.  Beatty in OH-3 (PVI of D+19), Kaptur in OH-9 (PVI of D+14), Fudge in OH-11 (PVI of D+32), and then Ryan in OH-13 (PVI of D+7).

If Kate Schroeder wins in OH-1 this year then she'd be a good candidate come 2028. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone for 2022. 

Maybe Connie Pillich? Or Nan Whaley? 

I think you need someone from Southwest Ohio to blunt the strength that Portman has here. I think he's the only statewide elected Republican that can still win Hamilton County.

48 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Jan 8th., Trump - "No Americans were harmed in last night's attack."

Jan 22nd, Trump - "I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it's not very serious."

Today: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics/34-injuries-iran-missile-strike/index.html

Can you imagine if Obama had minimized the seriousness or our soldier's injuries?

13 minutes ago, X said:

Can you imagine if Obama had minimized the seriousness or our soldier's injuries?

The "can you imagine Obama..." scenarios get exhausting, I know, I know but...can you imagine if Obama went to Davos (that, in and of itself...lol), said he'd look into cutting Social Security after his 2nd term started and bragged about not turning over documents to the House committees investigating him?

Very Stable Genius

Did Pompeo really think that an NPR reporter wouldn't be able to find the country that has been at the center of some of the biggest news in US history for the past 6 months on a map?

19 minutes ago, X said:

Did Pompeo really think that an NPR reporter wouldn't be able to find the country that has been at the center of some of the biggest news in US history for the past 6 months on a map?

Usually if a person is certain that someone doesn't know something, it's because that person just learned it and figures the person they are talking to couldn't possibly know it.

What I'm suggesting is: I don't think Pompeo could have pointed to Ukraine on a map a year ago.

2 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

Usually if a person is certain that someone doesn't know something, it's because that person just learned it and figures the person they are talking to couldn't possibly know it.

What I'm suggesting is: I don't think Pompeo could have pointed to Ukraine on a map a year ago.

Stupid people always assume everyone else is stupid, too.

^ they've been waiting for an excuse. They are mad that Schiff said that they are afraid of Trump. Now they will vote against witnesses to prove that Schiff war right.

Edited by freefourur

5 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

Men are too emotional to lead.

If you want the audio of this ill-mannered, immoral man who wears Jesus on his sleeve so he walk with people who are morally centered with our without the aid of religion....

Oops, here's the full audio......

Edited by KJP

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

I think that, more than anything else, Trump has exposed the deep flaws in the system that have previously gone largely unnoticed or ignored.  We have never been in a position where so much of the government existed solely to cover up the misdeeds and crimes of a president.  I don't think the Founders even considered such a scenario where so many people would be so corrupt and so deeply unpatriotic.  Furthermore, I'm confounded by the very idea that a president should be able to block any evidence or witnesses in an investigation into their own wrongdoings, let alone their trial.  In what other situation does a potential criminal get to dictate submitted evidence or testimony, especially without recourse?  What is the use of an impeachment and trial process for a president if there can never be any conviction simply due to either partisan hackery or, again,  a largely single-party government collaborating to defend the accused?   Once Senate Republicans acquit- and they will- the precedent is set that presidents are untouchable by any law, including the Constitution.  At that point, can we call ourselves a constitutional democracy?  Or a nation of laws?

Edited by jonoh81

The USA as we knew her is over. Perhaps groups of states can find their own democratic future together. And while I often disagree with this man, I agree with him here....

What a child....

Doubtful. In a Republican oligarchy, you're only allowed to insult people who don't show fealty to Dear Leader....

Sometimes children don't listen and have to find out the hard way. And it's very difficult for everyone to see....

Edited by KJP

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

And he's part of a religious nutbaggery cult of evangelicals that's desirous of the Rapture and its End Times. There is no negotiating with them....

As per Wikipedia: In August 2018 Pompeo called Russia to "immediately release" jailed Ukrainian filmmaker Oleg Sentsov. 

So you see, Pompeo isn’t all bad. Just like 98% bad. 

ps lol at the former cia director alleging an npr conspiracy hahahaha

I wonder if Murkowski and Collins are clutching their pearls or if Lankford is "visibly upset " about this.

Edited by freefourur

this one is hilarious.

the news says the president's position on abortion is 'evolving.'

yeah I'll say, given he was vehemently pro-choice.

and then when you think of all the abortions this hypocritical fraud paid for.

i.e.,

https://friedmanoftheplains.com/donald-trump-admits-to-paying-for-abortion-1c4ae9832770

but its as they say,

he could shoot someone on 5th avenue with some people -- and his russian loaners.

4 hours ago, mrnyc said:

That article has a “satire” disclaimer at the end, although I certainly wouldn’t have guessed that. I couldn’t find any secondary references to this on reputable sites. 

I’m quite confident that he’s paid for abortions, it’d just be nice to have it proven somewhere reputable. 

Republican senator admits he didn’t know about Bolton’s confirmation of Trump’s bribery — but still doesn’t care

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/republican-senator-admits-he-didnt-know-about-boltons-confirmation-of-trumps-bribery-but-still-doesnt-care/

“And it is a tricky combination like I told Chuck Todd this morning, between using your conscience and having to decide what the people in your state are wanting.”

OMG, these assh*ts are saying the quiet parts out loud again. 

As part of your senatorial duties, it’s your constitutional duty to be an impartial juror, based on the evidence. He, McConnell and Graham should be removed from the process based on their comments. 

7 minutes ago, stpats44113 said:

Republican senator admits he didn’t know about Bolton’s confirmation of Trump’s bribery — but still doesn’t care

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/republican-senator-admits-he-didnt-know-about-boltons-confirmation-of-trumps-bribery-but-still-doesnt-care/

“And it is a tricky combination like I told Chuck Todd this morning, between using your conscience and having to decide what the people in your state are wanting.”

OMG, these assh*ts are saying the quiet parts out loud again. 

As part of your senatorial duties, it’s your constitutional duty to be an impartial juror, based on the evidence. He, McConnell and Graham should be removed from the process based on their comments. 

1 hour ago, freefourur said:

Republicans be like:

who cares bobby singer GIF

12 hours ago, Boomerang_Brian said:

That article has a “satire” disclaimer at the end, although I certainly wouldn’t have guessed that. I couldn’t find any secondary references to this on reputable sites. 

I’m quite confident that he’s paid for abortions, it’d just be nice to have it proven somewhere reputable. 

i think you missed where it said that the trump paying for abortions info came via the dallas newspaper reporting. 

THE CALL WAS PERFECT       ➡️       READ THE TRANSCRIPTS       ➡️      NO QUID PRO QUO      ➡️     OF COURSE QUID PRO QUO BUT THE AID WASN'T CONTINGENT SOLELY ON THE BIDEN INVESTIGATION      ➡️      OKAY IT WAS CONTINGENT BUT THE AID WASN'T ACTUALLY WITHHELD      ➡️      OKAY THE AID WAS WITHHELD BUT THE UKRAINIANS WEREN'T EVEN AWARE IT WAS WITHHELD     ➡️       OKAY WHO TF EVEN CARES ABOUT UKRAINE?    ➡️     I STILL SAY THE CALL WAS PERFECT    

And that's the cycle repeating itself