gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

And do you know why, or are you just going to use that as a flimsy platform to make an ignorant point?

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

there are appropriate times and places to make one's point. I guess Mike Pence should have expected a certain amount of booing from the public while attending a performance in heavily Democrat and liberal New York (particularly for a politically-based show like Hamilton), which he got, as well as some applause. I don't know if he personally paid for the highly expensive tickets, but regardless, he was there to see a musical, not to be condescendingly lectured from the stage by the actors. If the cast was really interested in engaging Pence in a dialogue, they could have pre-arranged to meet with him after the show backstage to perhaps have a more in-depth conversation about fears they might have about a Trump administration, but this sort of grandstanding was highly unprofessional, to say the least. Since Hamilton is the most super-successful show in decades and there's no way a boycott can possibly affect ticket sales, this undoubtedly contributed to the hubris they had to feel they could get away with such a stunt.

The cast's statement gave me hope about about our ability to fight back against a turn to dark times. Trump's response to it quickly turned that hope to fear that those dark times are real, unavoidable and will be darker than most can possibly imagine...

In the meantime, how about a little levity...

People Are Trolling Mike Pence By Making Up Musicals About Him

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/name-a-pence-musical?utm_term=.dt7LNmNv3

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

BTW....

@TomFTroy Pence always says "that's what freedom sounds like" when somebody disrupts his rallies. https://t.co/nzKmH5QgqJ

I guess this is an example of the "diversity" that Mike Pence was lectured about by the Hamilton cast last night

31001641251_ef85dcdaee_z.jpg

Umm, yeah, companies that make theatre/movies/television/commercials are allowed to "discriminate" and hire people based on their race, height, weight, etc. Because, you know, if you have a role designed for a certain race and gender, you kinda have to hire a person of that race and gender to play that part...

there are appropriate times and places to make one's point. I guess Mike Pence should have expected a certain amount of booing from the public while attending a performance in heavily Democrat and liberal New York (particularly for a politically-based show like Hamilton), which he got, as well as some applause. I don't know if he personally paid for the highly expensive tickets, but regardless, he was there to see a musical, not to be condescendingly lectured from the stage by the actors. If the cast was really interested in engaging Pence in a dialogue, they could have pre-arranged to meet with him after the show backstage to perhaps have a more in-depth conversation about fears they might have about a Trump administration, but this sort of grandstanding was highly unprofessional, to say the least. Since Hamilton is the most super-successful show in decades and there's no way a boycott can possibly affect ticket sales, this undoubtedly contributed to the hubris they had to feel they could get away with such a stunt.

The left always likes to talk about the "rules of civility" whenever anyone questions political correctness. Make a joke about women? They'll call you an uncivilized brute. Act extremely rude to make a political point so you can feel good about yourself? They'll applaud you. These are the types of double standards the rest of the country is tired of, and one of the big reasons Trump won. The fact that so many can't realize that and just continue to dig deeper is sad.

Umm, yeah, companies that make theatre/movies/television/commercials are allowed to "discriminate" and hire people based on their race, height, weight, etc. Because, you know, if you have a role designed for a certain race and gender, you kinda have to hire a person of that race and gender to play that part...

Well, to some extent. No one seems to have any issues with a person of color playing a role of a character who is white, but the opposite is completely unacceptable.

Plus there's a difference between casting a certain character based on their appearance, skin color, sex, etc. and outright saying you're going to have any entire cast with no white people. Try producing a show with a casting call that specifies only "non-black" actors need apply, and see if you run into any trouble.

Here's an interesting take on Hamilton from a few months back:

http://www.pajiba.com/web_culture/whats-going-on-with-hamiltons-casting-call-.php

I guess this is an example of the "diversity" that Mike Pence was lectured about by the Hamilton cast last night

31001641251_ef85dcdaee_z.jpg

I wonder what roles were being filled with this particular casting call. Since many of the prominent historical figures in Hamilton were actually white, and are being played by black and Latino actors in the show, I assumed (I guess wrongly) that color-blind casting was more determinative than "a role designed for a certain race and gender."

Pence is a disgusting human being and a significant part of this truly shameful political era -- but the cast should not have gotten involved. It was unprofessional and a slap to the face to people in the audience who spent hundreds of dollars for a few hours of escapism.

This felt like Kanye at the Katrina event.

I thought the cast was eloquent and professional.  Nothing they said was rude or harassment.  DJT is a just a weak person.  Mike Pence heard him out and stayed in the lobby afterward for photos. 

Well, to some extent. No one seems to have any issues with a person of color playing a role of a character who is white, but the opposite is completely unacceptable.

Plus there's a difference between casting a certain character based on their appearance, skin color, sex, etc. and outright saying you're going to have any entire cast with no white people. Try producing a show with a casting call that specifies only "non-black" actors need apply, and see if you run into any trouble.

Here's an interesting take on Hamilton from a few months back:

http://www.pajiba.com/web_culture/whats-going-on-with-hamiltons-casting-call-.php

Jesus Christ!! 95 pct of shows are full of "non-black" actors!!! This is called giving an opportunity to other than white people, who get all the roles.

The speech was an examples of typical condescending, know-it-all, "I'm right you're wrong!" tone and style that the left has adopted over the last decade or so, and it is a huge turn off to the vast majority of Americans.  The guy was evening waving his finger - give me a break. The fact that it was done at a completely inappropriate time, to the detriment of so many paying customers was just exemplified the total lame-ness of the whole ordeal.

One interesting historical parallel here is that we all know how well things went the last time Hamilton taunted and insulted a vice president, don't we?

Hamilton-burr-duel.jpg

This is such a nothing issue. The cast used their free speech rights to make a point. They are not wealthy people that they can afford access to politicians or buy airtime to have their point heard. They were not rude. It was very civil. If this would happen to Obama or Biden It would be forgotten the next day. Right wingers are thin skinned that are upset about getting lectured by some minorities.

If you can't take the free speech rights then you can leave this country for many others on th world that are happy to crack down on free speech. In fact that is exactly what their speech was about. They are afraid that Trump is going to start cracking down on free speech and any other rights. Trump said he's all about stop and frisk.  He likes torture. Who knows what else his ego will try to subvert of rights that we expect as Americans.

Trump took the bait again.

One of the best so far...

So the thinking is that Trumpster blew this stupid thing up to have people stop talking about his $25 million settlement for fraud. They were seeking $100 million so i guess he did ok.

Besides ivanka hanging out with the Japanese PM during Trump's meeting being a conflict of interest. The wingnuts all had their pants in a bunch about Hillary's supposed pay for access. Trump is now pushing foreign diplomats to start booking at his brand new DC hotel if they are wanting to meet him. Bookings are starting to climb with foreign diplomats now. Sleazy fraudster.

This is such a nothing issue. The cast used their free speech rights to make a point. They are not wealthy people that they can afford access to politicians or buy airtime to have their point heard. They were not rude. It was very civil. If this would happen to Obama or Biden It would be forgotten the next day. Right wingers are thin skinned that are upset about getting lectured by some minorities.

If you can't take the free speech rights then you can leave this country for many others on th world that are happy to crack down on free speech. In fact that is exactly what their speech was about. They are afraid that Trump is going to start cracking down on free speech and any other rights. Trump said he's all about stop and frisk.  He likes torture. Who knows what else his ego will try to subvert of rights that we expect as Americans.

Trump absolutely took the bait.    And Pence handled it professionally, after all, he's used to getting slapped around for being stupid.  Remember that nice little "religious freedom" law he signed which sparked a national uproar against Indiana?  Nothing like staying beholden to your handlers, and in the meantime chasing away the NCAA, several corporations and potentially a Super Bowl.  His tail was quickly between his legs.   

No one is saying the Hamilton cast didn't have the right to free speech, but this was not the appropriate venue. Think of how it would feel to someone who's obese going to a restaurant and ordering what most people would regard as an excessive amount of food, then being lectured by the server about what an unhealthy choice that is. Free speech, right? But I assume you would condemn someone doing that!

Protesting in the street - not the right venue.

Kneeling for national anthem - not the right venue

Broadway play - not the right venue.

Freedom of speech in limited circmustances that don't offend the right wing PC police

Protesting in the street - not the right venue.

Kneeling for national anthem - not the right venue

Broadway play - not the right venue.

Freedom of speech in limited circmustances that don't offend the right wing PC police

They want the entire world to be their safe space.

According to conservatives, the only proper venue for dissent is to protest in your room quietly with the lights off. Anything else is just plain rude and uncalled for.

They'll argue about venues all day long because they don't want to address the actual issues being protested.

To put this back on the "conservatives" that feel slighted by free speech. What part of the hamilton speech are you actually upset about? 

This is so ridiculous that this white governor of a mostly white state is seeing a political musical and doesn't want to be cluttered with a respectful yet political speech from the minority cast.

When I post articles, I usually post only from mainstream media. Here's a sample of some of the far-left "other stuff" that shows up in Facebook timeline and Twitter feeds that I avoid posting...

ANTI-FASCISTS STORM RESTAURANT HOSTING NEO-NAZI, ALT-RIGHT NPI DINNER November 19, 2016 Facebooktwitterredditpinterest

From DC Direct Action News

On the 18th of November, the “suit-and-tie Nazi” National Policy Institute (NPI) attempted to hold a quiet dinner meeting on the subject of white supremacy at an Italian restaurant on Wisconsin Ave called Maggiano’s. Anti-fascist protesters stormed the restaurant and got most of the way up the stairs to the second floor where NPI was meeting. A few got in via the elevator. The Washington Post is reporting that “a foul smelling liquid” was sprayed on NPI President Richard Spencer, notorious for peddling “white nationalism.”

One security guard or NPI member (not sure which) pushed back hard trying to force activists back down the stairs. He did so even though his pushing caused the wooden rail on the staircase to bow and bend under the weight of people being forced against it. Due to the height of the staircase this constituted acting in reckless disregard of human life, though anyone familiar with the history of fascism and Naziism would know this is par for the course.

MORE:

https://itsgoingdown.org/anti-fascists-storm-restaurant-hosting-neo-nazi-alt-right-npi-dinner/

President Elect still whining about Hamilton.    Also whining about SNL being one sided.  I thought Trumpers hate being PC.

In other news,  Trump is still meeting with his Indian business partners.  I'm sure Congress will look into the conflicts of interest as soon as 769th Benghazi hearing concludes

The speech was an examples of typical condescending, know-it-all, "I'm right you're wrong!" tone and style that the left has adopted over the last decade or so, and it is a huge turn off to the vast majority of Americans.  The guy was evening waving his finger - give me a break. The fact that it was done at a completely inappropriate time, to the detriment of so many paying customers was just exemplified the total lame-ness of the whole ordeal.

One interesting historical parallel here is that we all know how well things went the last time Hamilton taunted and insulted a vice president, don't we?

Hamilton-burr-duel.jpg

CxowkjSW8AAWfOx.jpg

To put this back on the "conservatives" that feel slighted by free speech. What part of the hamilton speech are you actually upset about? 

This is so ridiculous that this white governor of a mostly white state is seeing a political musical and doesn't want to be cluttered with a respectful yet political speech from the minority cast.

apparently, once again, people don't actually read the posts of others with a different point of view (or maybe just mine), or are incapable of grasping anything outside their own echo chamber. Re my last post: I never said the Hamilton cast doesn't have the right to free speech, in the appropriate setting. Alluding to my example of the fictitious overweight restaurant customer (which I doubt you even read) who was shamed by a staff member for ordering too much food, likewise the theatergoer (Mike Pence) who, in exchange for a ticket for which he expected to be treated to an evening of entertainment, is additionally blindsided by a simplistic Civics 101 polemic with a highly partisan point of view, which is clearly not customarily part of any Broadway show experience, and for which he paid good money (or in likelihood was given a pass by a donor). Is this so hard to understand?

apparently, once again, people don't actually read the posts of others with a different point of view (or maybe just mine), or are incapable of grasping anything outside their own echo chamber. Re my last post: I never said the Hamilton cast doesn't have the right to free speech, in the appropriate setting. Alluding to my example of the fictitious overweight restaurant customer (which I doubt you even read) who was shamed by a staff member for ordering too much food, likewise the theatergoer (Mike Pence) who, in exchange for a ticket for which he expected to be treated to an evening of entertainment, is additionally blindsided by a simplistic Civics 101 polemic with a highly partisan point of view, which is clearly not customarily part of any Broadway show experience, and for which he paid good money (or in likelihood was given a pass by a donor). Is this so hard to understand?

Your comparison to an overweight person ordering too much food is a terrible comparison.  Pence is an elected official, as such, he works for the taxpayers and elected officials should be held to a higher standard and accountable for their decisions.   

This sums it up to me:

"Politicians do not deserve respect simply on the basis of the fact that they’re politicians. They do, however, deserve to be treated in accordance with their actions. " (from http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/boo-mike-pence-whenever-possible-1789164882, read the article for list of his actions).

No one is saying the Hamilton cast didn't have the right to free speech, but this was not the appropriate venue. Think of how it would feel to someone who's obese going to a restaurant and ordering what most people would regard as an excessive amount of food, then being lectured by the server about what an unhealthy choice that is. Free speech, right? But I assume you would condemn someone doing that!

Or conversely, imagine going to a restaurant in Indiana and ordering an excessive amount of food, only to be lectured by the server to leave the restaurant because the owner of the restaurant has religious beliefs that run counter to your lifestyle.    I assume you could condemn someone for doing that?  What about signing it into the law of the state?

DID RUSSIA INSTALL DONALD TRUMP AS THE NEXT U.S. PRESIDENT?

http://www.newsweek.com/did-russia-install-donald-trump-next-us-president-520272

Military Leaders Urge Trump to See Climate as a Security Threat

Dozens of military and defense experts advised the president-elect that global warming should transcend politics

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/military-leaders-urge-trump-to-see-climate-as-a-security-threat/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_ENGYSUS_NEWS

How come none of th people wanting to run from AMerica never choose Mexico or venezuela or somewhere else beyond our southern border?

its always canada.

Is it because the others arent _______ enough? fill in the blank as you wish.

whatever the reason, it shows Mexico no love.

Is it because english is not a dominant language in central and south America?

that proves the characterization of Americans as uneducated monolingual boors.

Couldnt at least our celebs in southern Calif., who are much closer to the mexican border than the canadian one, choose Mexico or maybe S. America?

that reminds me have those boorish americans like Miley Cyrus and Cher packed their bags yet? i like them as artists and many of thier songs, but....bye-bye

Maybe there are some sanctuary cities in mexico, i dont know

Belize and Costa Rica sound like great places to live. My sister loves Belize. But I need a city and a country with a rail system.

I'm obviously no Trump fan, and he's certainly not worth sacrificing oneself over....

Man, 69, sets himself on fire in Highland Square moments after ranting about President-elect Trump

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/man-69-sets-himself-on-fire-in-highland-square-moments-after-ranting-about-president-elect-trump-1.728435#.WDIRYOlO7vl.facebook

What kind of question is that? LOL

People are mostly interested in Canada for many reasons. Culturally, it's just not much different. In fact, it's just like America but more liberal. It's not about being racist or anything like that. I remember the good ol' days, when I took a trip with ColDayMan and NorthAndre and met up with MikeToronto from Skyscraperpage and visited Toronto and other areas of Canada. It was a wonderful experience that I'll always remember. It was certainly somewhat different from the U.S. but mostly just in that it didn't seem to have a lot of the social issues that America does. For the most part, Canada was pretty 'familiar.' There were no language barriers and there were still a lot of things that were recognizable, like chain restaurants. Essentially, it was only different in ways that liberal Americans would appreciate and the quality of life actually seemed better for the average Joe, compared to here. If you're rich, you'd probably think Canada doesn't offer as much for you.

To put it crudely, Mexico and most South American countries are sh!t holes. They have corrupt governments in bed with drug cartels, for Christ's sake. It's preventing them from becoming first world countries. The standard of living / quality of life just doesn't compare to Canada. I'm sure some of the larger cities like Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires are great (although I'm sure they're pretty crime-ridden) but overall, they couldn't possibly have a quality of life that compares to Canada. Canada is also relatively close. If you wanted to take a trip to the U.S., you could easily drive to see your family, especially if they live in the Midwest. It wouldn't feel like you're very far from 'home.'

More importantly, Canada has really relaxed immigration policies. Other than Argentina and Brazil, I'm not sure that you could as easily move to those countries.

Americans are well-received in Canada and if you're trying to obtain citizenship in another country, you're going to want to be a citizen of a country who has values and a culture you identify with, so Canada seems like a sensible choice if you're a U.S. liberal.

That said, I've always been fascinated by Buenos Aires. It seems like paradise. I just couldn't imagine becoming a citizen in a country that far away. Like I said, Canada isn't very far so it just seems less risky, closer to home and more 'familiar.' I don't think it's unreasonable at all that Canada is almost always where people want to go when they threaten to leave the U.S.

^oh that's rich ,and proves the nuanced point i was making

What, that conservatives are jerks?

What kind of question is that? LOL

..... It's not about being racist or anything like that. ....Canada was pretty 'familiar.' There were no language barriers and there were still a lot of things that were recognizable, like chain restaurants. Essentially, it was only different in ways that liberal Americans would appreciate and the quality of life actually seemed better for the average Joe, compared to here. If you're rich, you'd probably think Canada doesn't offer as much for you.

To put it crudely, Mexico and most South American countries are sh!t holes. They have corrupt governments in bed with drug cartels, for Christ's sake. ...

More importantly, Canada has really relaxed immigration policies. Other than Argentina and Brazil, I'm not sure that you could as easily move to those countries.

Americans are well-received in Canada and if you're trying to obtain citizenship in another country, you're going to want to be a citizen of a country  just seems less risky, closer to home and more 'familiar.' I don't think it's unreasonable at all that Canada is almost always where people want to go when they threaten to leave the U.S.

1 oh yes it is

2 LMAO

3 elitist

4 which americans?

5 woosie