gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

11 minutes ago, freefourur said:

What's wrong with defunding the police anyway? Police budgets should be reduced and the money should be spent on housing, education, and other community needs. 

Defunding is probably a poor word choice.  

Police budgets need to be examined, and more money put into training--with less money going towards military style weapons.  

^When you've only got a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I'm actually getting a sense that Trump has actually lost interest in being President. He thought it was going to be all getting himself and his buddies rich, tricking hillbillies, being on TV a lot, talking sh*t, Tweeting, flying around and shaking hands with dictators.

53 minutes ago, freefourur said:

What's wrong with defunding the police anyway? Police budgets should be reduced and the money should be spent on housing, education, and other community needs. 

It's more a question of sloganeering - I think people with more radical sensibilities come up with these "abolish" slogans that sound crazy, but then you look at what they're actually saying and it's like, ok, I get what they're saying... Just like you explained in your post above.

But how many people will ever get to the point of looking up those policies and just latch on to "abolish/refund ice/police!" Especially in our soundbite culture. So it becomes easy for people like Trump to caricature.

The flip side is that the activists who use these slogans say it's a great way (or maybe the only way) to get attention, which is definitely also true. No 100% correct answer.

Edited by mu2010

16 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

^When you've only got a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I'm actually getting a sense that Trump has actually lost interest in being President. He thought it was going to be all getting himself and his buddies rich, tricking hillbillies, being on TV a lot, talking sh*t, Tweeting, flying around and shaking hands with dictators.

He was never interested, to be honest. He's in it for the rallies.

#babygate recently trended on twitter.  But unlike most "-gates", this one isn't a scandal about babies.  Instead, its about President Trump and fencing he had installed around Lafayette Park, which is immediately north of the White House grounds.  Trump had the historic park cleared of protesters for his now-infamous photo-op in front of the nearby St. John's Church.  After this, the park was enclosed with 8 foot high chain-link fencing to prevent protesters from using this historic protest point in front of the White House.

When this photo of the fencing with the White House in the background was published, some on twitter thought it looked like a baby gate:

But the D.C. Mayor may have gotten the last laugh on Trump when she had the words "BLACK LIVES MATTER" painted onto the street that leads to Lafayette Park and the White House.  Here's a couple views of it:

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

The best use for a fence 

2 hours ago, viscomi said:

^I came on here to post that. Very well executed. 🤣

I have a DINO friend tell me last night that trump should just keep his mouth shut. He thinks that trump HAD to go to the bunker by the secret service as in past instances by other presidents they are forced to go to the bunker to keep them safe.  He refuses to believe that the draft dodging, bomb thrower is that much of a coward that he has to run from the citizens. 

Edited by audidave

I can't believe left wingers gave their own movement the "Defund the police" moniker. They may as well have put a bow on it and brought it to Trump on a silver platter.

I know there are some more nuanced suggestions for reorganizing certain police activities that might actually make some sense  but they couldn't have picked a worse name. Trump doesn't even have to make up a nickname for it. And any of these changes, if made anywhere, will almost certainly lead to at least a short term spike in crime like the post 2001 riot changes in Cincinnati.

^Glad your pushing the same old trumpian propaganda. It will be totally new propaganda in 2 weeks. 
  Defund police doesn’t mean get rid of police.  It means shift some resources away from the militia and warrior training to other civic uses where there is great need.  LA is shifting a $100 million out of a $5 billion budget to other community needs. 

I though GOPers wanted to defund the government? Or do you just trust giving more money and power to the one part of government that can deprive you of the most rights (life, liberty, property etc) the quickest and with least concern or consequences?

23 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I can't believe left wingers gave their own movement the "Defund the police" moniker. They may as well have put a bow on it and brought it to Trump on a silver platter.

I know there are some more nuanced suggestions for reorganizing certain police activities that might actually make some sense  but they couldn't have picked a worse name. Trump doesn't even have to make up a nickname for it. And any of these changes, if made anywhere, will almost certainly lead to at least a short term spike in crime like the post 2001 riot changes in Cincinnati.

Honestly though the left has always been pretty bad at marketing ideas. I shouldn't have to read an article titled What abolish  the police means: it’s not what you think.

23 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Honestly though the left has always been pretty bad at marketing ideas. I shouldn't have to read an article titled What abolish  the police means: it’s not what you think.

This is one of my biggest soapboxes, but, lefties gonna lefty. My theory is that it's because none of them have marketing or business degrees while all the GOPers do. There's a linguist named George Lakoff who's written extensively about this problem.

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/05/02/berkeley-author-george-lakoff-says-dont-underestimate-trump

Edited by mu2010

1 hour ago, audidave said:

Defund police doesn’t mean get rid of police.  It means shift some resources away from the militia and warrior training to other civic uses where there is great need.  LA is shifting a $100 million out of a $5 billion budget to other community needs. 

I know that, you know that, but the name doesn't imply that and people who don't read past the headlines won't ever know that. The word "defund" implies the removal of all funding. Why call it that if that's not what it is? Perhaps it's a Freudian slip of sorts, and that's what many of these protestors really do want? Who knows - maybe they do, some of them, at least, perhaps even many of them.

I’m certain it was merely a slogan shouted by protesters.  Joe Biden has refused to accept this as a platform slogan. Its pretty obvious that trump would love to make it a wedge issue as it sounds anti-police.  That is why i say this is mere propaganda. 
  Money for the police is spent at a local level. If a city wants to move money around that should be up to the local officials. It isn’t a jingoistic screed by this president that will get the suburban voters to back off voting for Biden. Two weeks from now this will not be in the trump attack. Maybe a once a week tweet as he loves repeating things. 

What else is 39%? How about Trump's poll numbers/devout base. In other words, they're lost and can't be saved. Even scarier, Trump offers a roadmap for future conmen: pretend to be tough, say you're a devout Christian and have enough money to get noticed and 39% will do anything for you, even drink bleach.

If Trump said this to my face I would punch him in his. Truly a despicable POS.

Appear? Did he or did he not have such a device . You would think the president would get confirmation of this before tweeting an accusation like this to the public. 

Edited by viscomi

8 hours ago, KJP said:

What else is 39%? How about Trump's poll numbers/devout base. In other words, they're lost and can't be saved. Even scarier, Trump offers a roadmap for future conmen: pretend to be tough, say you're a devout Christian and have enough money to get noticed and 39% will do anything for you, even drink bleach.

The actual poll results indicate that virtually no one drank bleach/household cleaners. The number is close to 0% and given the small sample size likely within the margin of error for being actually zero. The problem mostly seems to be people improperly inhaling fumes, having cleaners come into contact with bare skin/clothes, etc. Those are pretty minor problems. The larger problem is people who seem to think cleaning food with bleach is proper. 

Really, what this poll proves is that we desperately need schools to bring back Home Ec classes, and they need to be mandatory. Every adult should know the right way to rinse lettuce, clean their kitchen, cook a meal from scratch, etc.

On a related note, I saw a woman cleaning her baby with a Clorox wipe once. This was years ago.

Shower thought. I know we've all been worried for 4 years that Trump won't leave the White House if he loses, but what if we get the opposite. What if the MFer leaves the White House on Nov. 5 and we don't have a pres for 3 months lol. Pence or Nancy Pelosi has to step in.

Cincinnati's Peters Cartridge Mill makes an appearance in Trump's new campaign ad - an ad that has some great "Urbex" imagery - I've been to three of the places featured here:

20 minutes ago, KJP said:

The guys Twitter is filled with radical, anti-police, "old man yells at cloud" type posts.

Further, this entire encounter is odd. What's the old guy doing with the device in his right hand? And why's he charge towards police like that?

Here's a video of him a few minutes before he charged at the police - the crowd is suspicious of him and he says he's there for "fun."

23 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

The guys Twitter is filled with radical, anti-police, "old man yells at cloud" type posts.

Further, this entire encounter is odd. What's the old guy doing with the device in his right hand? And why's he charge towards police like that?

Here's a video of him a few minutes before he charged at the police - the crowd is suspicious of him and he says he's there for "fun."

So he was standing there asking questions a few protesters didn't like (none of those supposed questionable actions or questions are on tape), so your argument is that he definitely deserved to be pushed to the ground by police and hospitalized?  Incredible.

Is there a dumb conspiracy theory you haven't bought into, Ram?  You sound like my aunt ranting about George Soros.  

Edited by jonoh81

5 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

So he was standing there asking questions a few protesters didn't like (none of those supposed questionable actions or questions are on tape), so your argument is that he definitely deserved to be pushed to the ground by police and hospitalized?  Incredible.

Is there a dumb conspiracy theory you haven't bought into, Ram?  You sound like my aunt ranting about George Soros.  

Martin Gugino, the 75 year old man knocked to the ground and injured by police in Buffalo, is a longtime peace activist and volunteer at the Catholic Worker

3D3F7336-F938-45CF-A202-208B04462DF1.jpeg

10 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

the answer is no. Tin foil is kinda his thing.

1 hour ago, stpats44113 said:

the answer is no. Tin foil is kinda his thing.

Its easy to fake a head injury, we all know that. 

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

12 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Here is the thing about Trump's tweets. It does not matter what the old man's political beliefs are or even if he may be a horrible person, or sympathizer with the radical left. Hell, it does not matter if he likes to steal peoples dogs and eat them as part of a ritual animal sacrifice.  The fact is, he is a private citizen, for the most part, and Trump is the president with a national bully pulpit, and it needs to be used with discretion. 

Citizens have a right to speak up, right or wrong against their government. They have a right to call Trump whatever they want. The president should not be going out and attacking a citizen on Twitter because the citizen does not like Trump and makes it known. That is a problem. It is one thing for Trump to play these games with other world leaders. or members of Congress, or even celebrities because all of them have their own platforms and opportunities to respond. However, when you go after a private citizen such as this, or the family of the Marine who was killed in 2016, even if Trump may be right or you think he is right, there is still something wrong about that and inappropriate for a president to do. The office should be above that.

^I don’t believe the mindset of the person in the white house is that he believes what he is tweeting. It is a great distraction. He is pushing a Russian operative’s disinformation. It feeds his base of anti-american, undemocratic nitwits.
  He can spout whatever he wants and he will get zero blowback from his party. That is the power trump wields and he loves it and wants to flaunt it.  

12 hours ago, Ram23 said:

So basically just like the Twitter feed of Donald Trump (minus the anti-police slant).  

3 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

So basically just like the Twitter feed of Donald Trump (minus the anti-police slant).  

I'm sure there's a tweet for that, too.

Very Stable Genius

47 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Here is the thing about Trump's tweets. It does not matter what the old man's political beliefs are or even if he may be a horrible person, or sympathizer with the radical left. Hell, it does not matter if he likes to steal peoples dogs and eat them as part of a ritual animal sacrifice.  The fact is, he is a private citizen, for the most part, and Trump is the president with a national bully pulpit, and it needs to be used with discretion. 

Citizens have a right to speak up, right or wrong against their government. They have a right to call Trump whatever they want. The president should not be going out and attacking a citizen on Twitter because the citizen does not like Trump and makes it known. That is a problem. It is one thing for Trump to play these games with other world leaders. or members of Congress, or even celebrities because all of them have their own platforms and opportunities to respond. However, when you go after a private citizen such as this, or the family of the Marine who was killed in 2016, even if Trump may be right or you think he is right, there is still something wrong about that and inappropriate for a president to do. The office should be above that.

Interesting, though not surprising, that your only take on this is that it's "beneath the office of the President."  Zero commentary on Ram's batsh** conspiracy theory.  Zero commentary on the substance of Trump's tweet - that a 75-year old man is a member of Antifa who is so good at staging being pushed over and making his head bleed that he totally conned the liberal lamestream media!

Anyway, here's the insane OANN clip that sparked Donnie's tweet:

Very Stable Genius

7 minutes ago, audidave said:

^I don’t believe the mindset of the person in the white house is that he believes what he is tweeting. It is a great distraction. He is pushing a Russian operative’s disinformation. It feeds his base of anti-american, undemocratic nitwits.
  He can spout whatever he wants and he will get zero blowback from his party. That is the power trump wields and he loves it and wants to flaunt it.  

I dont know and dont bother to wager a guess on that.

I also have no problem if he wants to call Justin Trudeau something ridiculous. 

The problem is that he is using the power of the presidency to pick on private citizens to whom he works for. It is petty and really diminishes the office of the presidency when he does this. Some of the best and most powerful actions are saying nothing and not engaging. He does not seem capable of this type of discretion. 

2 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Interesting, though not surprising, that your only take on this is that it's "beneath the office of the President."  Zero commentary on Ram's batsh** conspiracy theory.  Zero commentary on the substance of Trump's tweet - that a 75-year old man is a member of Antifa who is so good at staging being pushed over and making his head bleed that he totally conned the liberal lamestream media!

Anyway, here's the insane OANN clip that sparked Donnie's tweet:

Because the media outlets are allowed to post whatever they want. It is free speech. The problem is that the office of the presidency should be above this and act as a responsible party to all citizens, even those who hate him. They can call him the most vile thing in the world, but he has a duty to sit there and take it. It is part of the responsibility of the office. He can fire back at the media, but going after private citizens is wrong on many levels.

13 hours ago, Ram23 said:

So? If an old Trump radical with a Twitter feed full of QAnon posts was knocked to the ground at an anti lockdown protest, you'd be clutching your pearls to the extreme.

13 hours ago, Ram23 said:

For the first time in my years at UO, I can say this due to a post: 

I think less of you as a person, now - and, I fear there's nothing you won't believe that Trump parrots. This isn't a political view you hold, it's a manifestation of a much deeper manipulation of your intellect. 

Moreover, the preconditions that would need to exist for this conspiracy theory to be true are vast. Only one condition is needed for it to be false - the President is lying to serve his own purposes - but you can't bring yourself to say that.