gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

3 minutes ago, mu2010 said:

I've shared Yabo's concern since the day Trump won his election, just based on how he acted during the 2016 campaign. I thought once he's in, we could be in serious trouble.

That being said, watching his true weakness and his willingness to back down like a baby over the past few years, I could now see it going like this.

Heh.  Yabo and I both have another way out of the bet, of course.

Trump wins reelection.

31 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I will take that bet. If he loses in November he will leave "peacefully" He may be loud on social media and try and leave some poison pills to the incoming admin, but he will transition power like every other president has. 

What is the bet? Gift card to your favorite restaurant?

I assume if he wins re-election then nobody wins the bet, correct?

Sorry Brutus! Thought it was you but its @Gramarye

10 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

Heh.  Yabo and I both have another way out of the bet, of course.

Trump wins reelection.

Lol that is true! History says the incumbent wins. 

Typically doesn't include 12% unemployment, race riots, and 107,000 Americans dead via pandemic. But we shall see. 

1 minute ago, YABO713 said:

Typically doesn't include 12% unemployment, race riots, and 107,000 Americans dead via pandemic. But we shall see. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm starting to see cracks in the Trump loyalty in parts of the conservative media.  For instance,  1100 WTAM had a guy on this morning taking about how ANTIFA is just a loose "idea" of like minded people, is really not an organization, and even if it was Trump couldn't do anything about it with domestic laws.  

3 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm starting to see cracks in the Trump loyalty in parts of the conservative media.  For instance,  1100 WTAM had a guy on this morning taking about how ANTIFA is just a loose "idea" of like minded people, is really not an organization, and even if it was Trump couldn't do anything about it with domestic laws.  

My wife makes this phenomenal chili, but it's extremely spicy. 

My bowel movements after eating her chili are more organized than Antifa. 

3 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

With plenty of tear gas!  

11 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

This is June.

This thread will be an interesting time capsule in November (and that function is one of my favorite things about UO).

What are the odds that, by November ...

(a) the 12% unemployment is significantly less and is more Democratic than Republican even as things stand; and

(b) the political mood vis-a-vis life vs. liberty will have moved to where Trump is now and has been the entire time (quite publicly, his image as being anti-lockdown greatly enhanced by the media who wanted to castigate him for being anti-lockdown even when the Zeitgeist was in favor)?

If Biden wants to campaign as President Lockdown and Trump gets to campaign as President Liberty, who do you think is going to win that by November, given current trends?  Don't tell me where things stand today, while people are still somewhat scared and we're only a couple of months into developing treatments and a vaccine.  Tell me where you see them in November.

8 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Absolutely, but the question is how much those "cracks" matter on Election Day.

A crack between National Review and Trump (which is hardly unprecedented, given that they ran a full issue of "anyone but Trump for the nomination" articles back in the 2016 primary) doesn't change the chasm between National Review and even the more conservative side of the modern Democratic Party.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

15 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

May unemployment (out on Friday) is going to be 20+%.

Very Stable Genius

4 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

(b) the political mood vis-a-vis life vs. liberty will have moved to where Trump is now and has been the entire time (quite publicly, his image as being anti-lockdown greatly enhanced by the media who wanted to castigate him for being anti-lockdown even when the Zeitgeist was in favor)?

The President told us covid-19 was a Democratic hoax, that the cases would one day drop to zero (0) like a miracle, and that we'd have things open by Easter.  Tell me more about this "media enhancement."

Very Stable Genius

11 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

This is June.

This thread will be an interesting time capsule in November (and that function is one of my favorite things about UO).

What are the odds that, by November ...

(a) the 12% unemployment is significantly less and is more Democratic than Republican even as things stand; and

If Biden wants to campaign as President Lockdown and Trump gets to campaign as President Liberty, who do you think is going to win that by November, given current trends?  Don't tell me where things stand today, while people are still somewhat scared and we're only a couple of months into developing treatments and a vaccine.  Tell me where you see them in November.

Absolutely fair - 

I'm just trying to look through a more macro lens as well... while most of the following aren't key swing states, I think this is telling... 

Colorado - Hickenlooper is +18% (!!!) over Gardner

Maine - Susan Collins is down 6%

North Carolina - Thom Thillis is down 2% to Cunningham

Kentucky - McGrath and McConnell are about tied (pending poll)

Arizona - Kelly is up +10% (!!!!) on McSally 

Georgia - The head to heads between both candidates on D/R are about even... in Georgia.

21 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

hahahahahaha

I love how according to the right wing that Antifa is a weak group of beta soy boys but also a highly organized group that will take down the US government and replace it with a communist regime.

9 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Absolutely fair - 

I'm just trying to look through a more macro lens as well... while most of the following aren't key swing states, I think this is telling... 

Colorado - Hickenlooper is +18% (!!!) over Gardner

Maine - Susan Collins is down 6%

North Carolina - Thom Thillis is down 2% to Cunningham

Kentucky - McGrath and McConnell are about tied (pending poll)

Arizona - Kelly is up +10% (!!!!) on McSally 

Georgia - The head to heads between both candidates on D/R are about even... in Georgia.

In Kansas, Barbara Bollier is ahead or behid 1% (so basically all within the MoE) in all of her hypothetical matchups against the top three GOP candidates for Senate.

https://civiqs.com/documents/Civiqs_DailyKos_KS_banner_book_2020_06_ng72o3.pdf

Since Steve Bullock got into the race in Montana, two polls have been conducted - he's tied in one and +7 in the other vs. Daines.

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

Lol Trudeau pauses for 22 seconds when asked about tear gassing peaceful protestors and what message he would send by not commenting.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Sorry Brutus! Thought it was you but its @Gramarye

I am happy to take you up on the bet too if you would like. say winner gets a gift card to Johnny's or other restaurant of their choice?

Edited by Brutus_buckeye

32 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

In Kansas, Barbara Bollier is ahead or behid 1% (so basically all within the MoE) in all of her hypothetical matchups against the top three GOP candidates for Senate.

https://civiqs.com/documents/Civiqs_DailyKos_KS_banner_book_2020_06_ng72o3.pdf

Since Steve Bullock got into the race in Montana, two polls have been conducted - he's tied in one and +7 in the other vs. Daines.

I’ve donated to most of these campaigns. Hickenloopers emails are like his back is up against the wall. I only gave him a token amount since I don’t honestly know how he can lose against the senator with the least favorable stats. I guess he wants to make sure the coattails stretch down to other races.  I only donated to him because he was my preferred candidate for president. 
   Today is voting day in like a dozen states. When Maine’s Senate candidate is official I’ll give a token amount there since the winning candidate will get around $4million right off the bat from a gofund me. 

Today, another Trump photo op at Saint John Paul II Shrine in Washington. We Catholics should not be OK with this (even if it was planned in advance, it should have been rescheduled) 

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

Precisely 

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

38 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I am happy to take you up on the bet too if you would like. say winner gets a gift card to Johnny's or other restaurant of their choice?

God hates the coward. You're on! *Handshake gif*

Obviously same terms as @Gramarye, I get 2 to 1 odds and the bet is void if Trump wins. 

29 minutes ago, OldBearcat said:

Today, another Trump photo op at Saint John Paul II Shrine in Washington. We Catholics should not be OK with this (even if it was planned in advance, it should have been rescheduled) 

We Catholics shouldn't be okay with this entire presidency

9 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

We Catholics shouldn't be okay with this entire presidency

Well, Trump is a god-send after the godlessness of the Obama Presidency amiright? 

Formerly "Mr Sparkle"

42 minutes ago, OldBearcat said:

‘I find it baffling and reprehensible’: Catholic Archbishop of Washington slams Trump’s visit to John Paul II shrine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/06/02/trump-catholic-shrine-church-bible-protesters/  (WARNING: Autoplaying video.)

================================================

Personally, I welcome the president's obviously completely sincere interest in the life of St. John Paul II and the Catholic faith.  Given the president's extensive use of executive time for study of online written material and self-reflection, I commend to him some of St. John Paul II's many words on faith, governance, and the responsibilities of Christian leaders in political leadership (regardless of whether they serve a secular or religious state) for his thoughtful contemplation:

« CENTESIMUS ANNUS »

http://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_01051991_centesimus-annus.html

Worthy words for consideration from Part V:

... as Christians we firmly believe that if there is no ultimate truth to guide and direct political activity, then ideas and convictions can easily be manipulated for reasons of power. As history demonstrates, a democracy without values easily turns into open or thinly disguised totalitarianism.

Or perhaps he could ruminate on this, from Part I:

When there is question of defending the rights of individuals, the defenceless and the poor have a claim to special consideration. The richer class has many ways of shielding itself, and stands less in need of help from the State; whereas the mass of the poor have no resources of their own to fall back on, and must chiefly depend on the assistance of the State. It is for this reason that wage-earners, since they mostly belong to the latter class, should be specially cared for and protected by the Government.

Much indeed to celebrate in the works of St. John Paul II and his vision of church and state, and I hope that this not-at-all-just-a-hollow-and-cynical-photo-op visit from the leader of the free world signals a lasting interest in that material.

40 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

God hates the coward. You're on! *Handshake gif*

Obviously same terms as @Gramarye, I get 2 to 1 odds and the bet is void if Trump wins. 

Deal

Edited by Brutus_buckeye

And

And read these GOP senators' responses starting with this one....

Separate post because I consider this to be an amazing development that warrants its own post.......

LOL

Like the racist confederacy, King just got destroyed on his home turf....

As Joe Tait used to say: "Wham with the right hand!"

Edited by KJP

On 5/20/2020 at 9:33 AM, YABO713 said:

So... I want to write about something that is hugely significant, but will go largely ignored (and bear with me, I promise this related to Trump):

The ransomware group "REvil" is responsible for the Sodinokibi ransomware variant, which, at the moment, impacts thousands of American businesses/hospitals/schools/municipalities every day. Not a day goes by in my practice where I don't deal with Sodinokibi in one way or another. 

As an overview - Sodinokibi works by gaining access to a network, usually by brute force attempts on an RDP port - though other points of access are not atypical as well. Once in, it uses a credential harvesting tool known as Trickbot to gather credentials and escalate its own privileges on the network, finding a good point from which to deploy the ransomware payload. Once deployed, it encrypts all files and folders on the network it's been deployed on. 

In the last 4-5 months, Sodinokibi changed from merely asking for a ransom payment to exfiltrating data files and holding them as ransom until payment is made - i.e. "Dear Business XYZ, if you do not pay the requested ransom amount in the next 72 hours, we will publicly post these three files we're currently in possession of." Often these files contain personal information, so there's a high incentive to pay. 

When we negotiate the ransom down, and usually pay, we have to run a check with the Office of Foreign Asset Control to ensure that BTC wallet isn't affiliated with known terrorist groups, or otherwise we can't pay. It's not the best system, but it saves countless American businesses everyday. 

Now... to the point....

REvil claims, and has provided proof, that it has stolen documents that are compromising to President Trump. Further, REvil says there are currently multiple parties bidding on these documents. Based on this information, the Admin issued a statement which referred to REvil as terrorists. This raises two MAJOR points/questions related to the Trump presidency: 

1. After the preaching of moral fortitude of the last three years, if the Dems receive this information - THEY. BETTER. DAMN. WELL. GO. STRAIGHT. TO. THE. FBI. 
  2. If the President does intend to label REvil - a group loosely affiliated with the GRU - as a terrorist organization, this will have MASSIVE implications for American businesses/schools/hospitals/municipalities, as they may not be able to negotiate to get their data back... and, without proper backups, that could mean starting from square one. 

Going to be an interesting month or so on this front. 

And so it begins...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/revil-ransomware-creates-ebay-like-auction-site-for-stolen-data/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/president-trump-tried-to-register-to-vote-in-florida-using-an-out-of-state-address/2020/06/03/687d0014-a4f2-11ea-b473-04905b1af82b_story.html

President Trump originally tried to register to vote in Florida while claiming his “legal residence” was in another part of the country — Washington, D.C. — according to Florida elections records.

The September 2019 registration application listed Trump’s legal residence as 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, the location of the White House. That created a potential problem for Trump: Florida law requires voters to be legal residents of the state.

Everything is projection.

Very Stable Genius

^ That is beyond the pale even by the standards of the toadying, GOP sycophants who have no respect whatsoever for intelligence of their base. It clearly demonstrates that they see framing him as a ‘wartime leader’ is their last and only hope. 

Edited by roman totale XVII

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

OMG. Can't wait for the tweets. It really feels like the walls are closing in on Trump, I am so scarred I'm kind of afraid to say it, but it feels that way.

5 minutes ago, mu2010 said:

OMG. Can't wait for the tweets. It really feels like the walls are closing in on Trump, I am so scarred I'm kind of afraid to say it, but it feels that way.

Very excited for the same people that self-stimulated to chants of Mad Dog Mattis to now 180 and call him a Deep State shill

He may have figured it was better to wait til the election year, and then figured after the photo op debacle, that was the time to pounce.

WOW 

11 minutes ago, KJP said:

WOW 

BiAsEd AgAinST ConSerVaTIVEs!!!

2 hours ago, mu2010 said:

OMG. Can't wait for the tweets. 

“I barely knew him and didn’t hear very good things about him”

Edited by roman totale XVII

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

From the article...

The President responded to Mattis in a series of tweets Wednesday night.

"Probably the only thing Barack Obama and I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world's most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about. His nickname was 'Chaos', which I didn't like, & changed it to 'Mad Dog,' " Trump said on Twitter.

"His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom 'brought home the bacon'. I didn't like his 'leadership' style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!"

more

1 hour ago, The_Cincinnati_Kid said:

The President responded to Mattis in a series of tweets Wednesday night.

"Probably the only thing Barack Obama and I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world's most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about. His nickname was 'Chaos', which I didn't like, & changed it to 'Mad Dog,' " Trump said on Twitter.

"His primary strength was not military, but rather personal public relations. I gave him a new life, things to do, and battles to win, but he seldom 'brought home the bacon'. I didn't like his 'leadership' style or much else about him, and many others agree. Glad he is gone!"

It's just like, cool story bro

Mattis, Kelly, McMaster, Tillerson, Wray are deep state shills, Dear Leader Trump is the light

37 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Mattis, Kelly, McMaster, Tillerson, Wray are deep state shills, Dear Leader Trump is the light

If the Dems were smart they would nominate Mattis, but if anything they are more self destructive than the GOP.

They can't even nominate him for VP, since Biden promised to pick a woman.   Though the only one so far who isn't a potential liability with voters he needs is Gabbard.

Edited by E Rocc

43 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

If the Dems were smart they would nominate Mattis, but if anything they are more self destructive than the GOP.

They can't even nominate him for VP, since Biden promised to pick a woman.   Though the only one so far who isn't a potential liability with voters he needs is Gabbard.

Disagree, just an endorsement will do.

Imagine the DNC stage, with Mattis, Tillerson, McMaster and Kelly giving a joint endorsement against a man under whom they served

The general just reminded his troops that unlawful orders are no orders at all....

14 hours ago, YABO713 said:

Very excited for the same people that self-stimulated to chants of Mad Dog Mattis to now 180 and call him a Deep State shill

Lindsey didn't go with deep state shill. he went with "Mattis is stupid and is being fooled by tHe LiBeRal MeDiA"

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Disagree, just an endorsement will do.

Imagine the DNC stage, with Mattis, Tillerson, McMaster and Kelly giving a joint endorsement against a man under whom they served

I think a stage full of disgruntled former employees would seem more vindictive and childish than powerful.