gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

Just typing in "censorship" into the search bar and sharing some of my favorite hits here.  Yabo - it appears Gohmert's wish is coming (closer to being) true lol.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

Freedom of speech is a human right, if you're content letting a small handful of corporations curtail that right, you don't really believe in it. This is especially true if you're content letting them do it because you're politically aligned with their censorship.

The biggest threat to our dearest freedoms in the digital age is not the government.

Freedom of speech is not guaranteed by private companies, and it has never been without restrictions even in the public realm.  Furthermore, I think your outrage is super precious.  Trump has used Twitter to incite violence, spread lies and conspiracy theories, harass women and minorities and mentally masturbate to his imagined greatness.  Twitter has allowed it all without a single condemnation or restriction.  And they did not restrict his account even now.  They offered a virtually meaningless caveat to his usual BS and you all lose your minds.  This isn't about free speech.  It's about the perception that Trump is being personally attacked and questioned, something that must be the gravest sin in the Trump cult.

Edited by jonoh81

I'm looking forward to conservative law professors / commentators who normally argue, "courts shouldn't defer to regulatory agencies no matter how thoughtful their process or how compelling their reasoning" now shifting to, "If the President gets really mad, he can rewrite a statute via an executive order."

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, Ram23 said:

Freedom of speech is a human right, if you're content letting a small handful of corporations curtail that right, you don't really believe in it. This is especially true if you're content letting them do it because you're politically aligned with their censorship.

The biggest threat to our dearest freedoms in the digital age is not the government.

But Trump sure is trying like hell to make it so.

2 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

Re-posting from the censorship thread.  Is this bad?

Well maybe he's a better student than his school grades suggest. He has learned well from his instructors Kim, and Putin.

3 hours ago, Ram23 said:

This is the most intellectually dishonest bullsh*t you've ever posted. 

Can you imagine if a protester went into a Chik-fil-a dining room and held up a sign that said "F*** the GOP. Abortion is a right." They would very quickly ask them to leave or call the police. By your logic, their actions are curtailing the protester's human right to free speech and, if I don't support the protester, then I don't really believe in free speech. You realize how stupid that is? 

8 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

This is the most intellectually dishonest bullsh*t you've ever posted. 

Can you imagine if a protester went into a Chik-fil-a dining room and held up a sign that said "F*** the GOP. Abortion is a right." They would very quickly ask them to leave or call the police. By your logic, their actions are curtailing the protester's human right to free speech and, if I don't support the protester, then I don't really believe in free speech. You realize how stupid that is? 

Corporations are humans, though, no? So twitter, as a corporation would hold the same right as individuals, n'est pas @ram23? 

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

Corporations are humans, though, no? So twitter, as a corporation would hold the same right as individuals, n'est pas @ram23? 

They have the same rights as any individual that operates a social media platform, yes.

There are, and should legally be, responsibilities that come along with the creation of a public commons upon which everyone in the country is able to communicate with one another. It's time to protect free speech on the internet by treating it and the platforms that make use of it like the public utilities that they are.

1 hour ago, DEPACincy said:

Chik-fil-a is a restaurant that serves chicken sandwiches, not a public free-speech platform, so that's a very bad comparison.

I don't really know where to begin with that one - but I suppose a fair comparison would be if Chik-fil-a were a place that existed solely as a venue for people to hold up signs, but only let right-wingers hold up signs. And there weren't really any other places you could hold up signs, at least, nowhere that folks would see them. On occasion, they'd let a few left-wingers hold up signs, but they'd put up big signs right next to them telling you they're wrong, and that that's a fact.

4 hours ago, Cleburger said:

Conservatives have every right to go start their own social media network.  Where are all the job creators?  

Would these essentially be "separate but equal" social media networks? I'm sure that would lead to wonderful things.

15 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I don't really know where to begin with that one - but I suppose a fair comparison would be if Chik-fil-a were a place that existed solely as a venue for people to hold up signs, but only let right-wingers hold up signs. And there weren't really any other places you could hold up signs, at least, nowhere that folks would see them.

This is dumb for many reasons. But the simplest one is that there are actually lots of social media networks. There are even several that are geared toward conservatives or liberals! Fancy that. 

All of this is missing the point. Twitter didn't censor Trump's lies, they simply said the lies were lies. 

It's very interesting that many of the same people who are now calling Twitter a "public free-speech platform" stood idly by while the Trump administration dismantled net neutrality and didn't have anything bad to say about that decision.

The internet itself is the actual "public commons" -- the true platform where anyone can publish their facts or opinions as a website, podcast, video, or whatever new forms of communication are invented.

Individual websites, podcasts, videos, and social networks that companies, organizations, or individual people put on the internet are not public space and no one has "free speech" rights on those platforms.

To put it another way:

• The internet is the public street — everyone has the right to walk down the sidewalk, hold whatever protest sign they want, etc., as long as they're not breaking any laws. (Although, because of the elimination of net neutrality, this is no longer really the case.)
  • Individual websites are the houses and businesses located along those streets. They are privately owned, and the owners can make their own rules about what is allowed inside.
  • "Platforms" like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and the UrbanOhio forum are "faux public spaces" much like a shopping mall. They are privately owned spaces where everone is welcome, but anyone can be asked to leave by the property owner. Since the property owner isn't the government, the first amendment does not apply.

2 hours ago, Ram23 said:

They have the same rights as any individual that operates a social media platform, yes.

There are, and should legally be, responsibilities that come along with the creation of a public commons upon which everyone in the country is able to communicate with one another. It's time to protect free speech on the internet by treating it and the platforms that make use of it like the public utilities that they are.

Know what I've learned in the last 3 years... I don't have to stay as limber as fellow "Conservatives" because my principles aren't molded by who's in power. 

A platform is not a utility. At all. I don't even know how you make that argument? Unless, of course, you're suggesting that regulating the content carried through other utilities, such as phone lines should be regulated - which would be some big brother sh**, to say the least. 

Face it - the President is throwing a tantrum because he was fact checked. The First Amendment exists strictly to protect against government interference of speech. Are you suggesting that Twitter is a limited public forum? 

1 hour ago, mu2010 said:

All of this is missing the point. Twitter didn't censor Trump's lies, they simply said the lies were lies. 

More and more people should be saying this. 

Trump and I agree: Twitter needs to go away. That sh*t has caused so much pain since its devolution; it's fundamentally broken.

34 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Trump and I agree: Twitter needs to go away. That sh*t has caused so much pain since its devolution; it's fundamentally broken.

I agree. 

Call it elitist, but I only think access to information is a good thing when individuals are capable of distilling that information. I know it's a terrible thought, but watching people on twitter has caused me to think of others as intellectually inferior based solely off the devolution. 

Additionally, I'm reading a book on neurobiology and there's a blip in there about political affiliations and its correlation to IQ: Right wing authoritarian stances are correlated with the lowest IQ, with LWA coming in second. 

On 9/6/2017 at 10:59 AM, Ram23 said:

He doesn't commit the same transgression as Obama by unconstitutionally overstepping his executive power and ordering something else, and in the end the law of the land will be crafted the way our founding fathers intended.

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

I agree. 

Call it elitist, but I only think access to information is a good thing when individuals are capable of distilling that information. I know it's a terrible thought, but watching people on twitter has caused me to think of others as intellectually inferior based solely off the devolution. 

Additionally, I'm reading a book on neurobiology and there's a blip in there about political affiliations and its correlation to IQ: Right wing authoritarian stances are correlated with the lowest IQ, with LWA coming in second. 

people will be stupid with or without twitter though. 

4 hours ago, TBideon said:

I actually think Twitter should call his bluff and threaten to shut itself down in the interest of a fair and honest election. 

Trump would immediately lose his sounding platform, and his $hit!  

27 minutes ago, KJP said:

Trump retweets "Only good Democrat is a dead Democrat." Now this.....

Anti-Lockdown Protesters Now Calling for Dems to Die

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-lockdown-protesters-now-calling-073659448.html

These dummies realize that each protest against "lockdowns" make seniors distrust Republicans, right? Without senior voters the Republicans are done.