gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

Every day, there seems to be at  least a half-dozen actions by Trump and his administration that set our country back....

"Save the planet. Move to the city." -- The Downtowner podcast

And another. Trump fostering hate, xenophobia, Islamophobia and violence. Such a weak little man....

8 hours ago, KJP said:

And another. Trump fostering hate, xenophobia, Islamophobia and violence. Such a weak little man....

What's inaccurate here?  It may be inflammatory, but it's quite accurate.

The truth is, all AOC's primary opponent needs to do is append her defense of Omar to the end and they have a ready made commercial.

The irony is CAIR was formed long before 9/11....which they immediately and unequivocally condemned.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:46 AM, DarkandStormy said:

You are trying to say random dots are linearly connected with no evidence or facts to suggest they are.

You're a conspiracy theorist troll. My advice to go to 4chan to peddle your garbage still stands.

Again with name calling...is that all you have?  If I'm so wrong without any evidence of facts, why aren't you able to debate me with your own information? 

2 minutes ago, tklg said:

Again with name calling...is that all you have?  If I'm so wrong without any evidence of facts, why aren't you able to debate me with your own information? 

You've provided no "facts" to show that the Seth Rich murder was a cover for anything. So the "troll" moniker is still accurate.

Very Stable Genius

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

You've provided no "facts" to show that the Seth Rich murder was a cover for anything. So the "troll" moniker is still accurate.

OK, I'll concede Russia being coverup for SR murder is difficult to prove.

However, are people really that blinded to NOT see any weird behavior around the murder?  Are you really denying anything weird about the sequence of events and facts of the murder?

On 4/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, E Rocc said:

The truth is, all AOC's primary opponent needs to do is append her defense of Omar to the end and they have a ready made commercial.

The irony is CAIR was formed long before 9/11....which they immediately and unequivocally condemned.

Trump continues to rely on the abysmal ignorance of his supporters when he gaslights Rep. Omar who is a SOMALI Muslim with disturbing and exploitative 9/11 twin towers burning. Yet his son-in-law Jared is cozy with the Saudi Prince of the home country to most of the hijackers on September 11. "Somali, Saudi Arabia, what's the difference?"

the reaction to Omar might seem a little extreme, but when you essentially trivialize the worst attack in this nation's history, you have to expect backlash. It seems hard to believe that 9/11 happened so many years ago, and I realize she was only in high school then (or was it middle school?), and even those of us who were a lot older then tend to forget the devastating impact it had on America. But for her to dismiss this country as so anti-Muslim flies in the face of reality. Were there incidents targeting Muslims in the aftermath of 9/11? Of course, but they were very few and far between. There is more freedom and opportunity for Muslims in the US than anywhere else in the world. There is far more prejudice against other Muslims in Muslim-dominated nations, to say nothing of outright hatred and persecution of those of other faiths in those places--a good example is her own native land of Somalia-- https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2009/10/22/almost-expunged. It appears Omar has some other, larger agenda in mind when she makes her (yes)--inflammatory--statements. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

I haven’t been following this stupid story at all with Omar. The obvious thing going on here is partisan politics.  Since the Democrats went after the white nationalist King in Iowa, the GOP is going after Omar in oddly a very racist way because instead of just race, she also wears a burka. It makes great theater on Fox news to go after the freshman Congresswomen. If whatever it was she said was uttered by a white Kansas man, it would not make the papers. But since she is fairly unique in that she is of Somali descent she is watched under a microscope.  I wish the GOP felt so concerned about the racists in their midst. 

Also that was a 10 year old article about Somalia.  I highly doubt Omar has any kind of “agenda” against Christians or dog whistling to Somalia. 

I don’t think Somalia ever had many Christians in the first place. There have been so many wars in the past 70 years that displacement is going to happen somewhere along the line in the horn of Africa.  Also, that part of the world is very tribal and its probably the thing that erases tribal loyalty if one is more focused on a supreme being than a tribal leader.  Or you better pray in the same way as your tribal leader. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, E Rocc said:

AOC, at 29 years of age, is young enough that she simply may not remember the 9/11 attacks. She would have been 11 at the time. If she does remember it, she almost certainly wouldn't have understood the consequences of the event, at the time. I think this is what allowed her to rush to the defense of Omar's outrageous statement. The fact that she represents the city where the attack occurred should absolutely spell disaster for her when next year's primary comes around. We'll have to see if the DNC stands down and lets someone come after their poster child, though.

Why am I not surprised the conservatives here have once again proved they didn't bother reading/listening to the context of Omar's comments?  As predictable as the sun rising in the east.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

AOC, at 29 years of age, is young enough that she simply may not remember the 9/11 attacks. She would have been 11 at the time. If she does remember it, she almost certainly wouldn't have understood the consequences of the event, at the time. I think this is what allowed her to rush to the defense of Omar's outrageous statement. The fact that she represents the city where the attack occurred should absolutely spell disaster for her when next year's primary comes around. We'll have to see if the DNC stands down and lets someone come after their poster child, though.

You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget

Edited by GCrites80s

16 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

Why am I not surprised the conservatives here have once again proved they didn't bother reading/listening to the context of Omar's comments?  As predictable as the sun rising in the east.

I mean I have... I've tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and recognize much of what she says is taken out of context...

But it's a pattern of - weirdness - at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Sir2geez said:

The White House has been briefed on the Mueller report. This explains the shift from "total exoneration" back to conspiracy theories about spying. 

Lol so on brand for Trump

13 minutes ago, Sir2geez said:

The White House has been briefed on the Mueller report. This explains the shift from "total exoneration" back to conspiracy theories about spying. 

Rumors are the White House is very worried about what Don McGahn told Mueller's team.

Very Stable Genius

Two quotes of interest for Rep. Omar.

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,”  

“CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

The "some people did something" part was lazy for sure, but there is absolutely no indication that it was malicious and the Republican reaction to it is absurd, but predictable. 

She needs to be more deliberate in her messaging, but we've entered a parallel universe when the president of the United States essentially calls her anti-American at best and a terrorist at worst.  This will be Trump's legacy.

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

I mean I have... I've tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and recognize much of what she says is taken out of context...

But it's a pattern of - weirdness - at this point. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/11/18306436/ilhan-omar-911-islamophobia-republicans

“Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it,” Omar said at the event. “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

So, she's wrong about the founding of CAIR (started in 1994).  But the "some people did something" is not referring to the 9/11 attack itself, but the loss of civil liberties by Muslims in America in a post-9/11 country and CAIR recognizing that and supporting Muslims during that time.

Very Stable Genius

Trump aside, Omar acting completely like the victim here is very disingenuous.

1) Trump is an immature ass. We already know that. it would be nice for a president to show leadership. But we know that is not going to happen in the next few years so we look to others to try and fill that void.

2) If Omar really wants to be a leader, she needs to show leadership. Quit tweeting incendiary comments and when called out on it, own it and quit deflecting blame on the president. That is not leadership. She is no better than Trump.

10 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

2) If Omar really wants to be a leader, she needs to show leadership. Quit tweeting incendiary comments and when called out on it, own it and quit deflecting blame on the president. That is not leadership. She is no better than Trump.

Imagine posting a take this bad, unironically.

Very Stable Genius

https://www.forbes.com/sites/imanibarbarin/2019/04/11/how-a-trump-proposal-could-reduce-happy-disabled-people/#29d16477636c

A new policy proposal by the Trump administration calls for the surveillance of disabled people’s social media profiles to determine the necessity of their disability benefits. The proposal, which reportedly aims to cut down on the number of fraudulent disability claims would, monitor the profiles of disabled people and flag content that shows them doing physical activities. When it comes down to it, the policy dictates that disabled people shouldn’t be seen living their lives for fear of losing vital financial aid and, possibly, medical care.

If you're disabled and received government assistance, you're not allowed to be too happy under the Trump Administration.

Just normal, 21st century stuff, folks.

Very Stable Genius

I don't have sympathy for Omar because she eggs it on. She encourages this. She wants to be a divider. She is not a leader nor does she care to help bring people together. Someone needs to be the adult in the room.

1 minute ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I don't have sympathy for Omar because she eggs it on. She encourages this. She wants to be a divider. She is not a leader nor does she care to help bring people together. Someone needs to be the adult in the room.

Oh the irony of this post.  Replace the "Omar"/"she" with "Trump"/"he" and it reads like an endorsement of assassinating the President of the United States.  That would be an insane comment, but making it against a Muslim, woman, Democrat and it's apparently perfectly fine.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

^^A lot of handwringing about a freshman Congresswoman.  I’ll again make the comparison to King of Iowa. Nobody is considering him a leader and he’s been re-elected many times.  I don’t particularly consider her a leader either. She is a voice in the Congress. I have no problem leaving it up to the people of Minnesota to decide if they want to re-elect her again.  Just because trump makes a stupid twitter statement that she is Pelosi’s leader doesn’t make it so. 

It is not fine whomever makes it. It is just the pure lunacy of the moment. People on both sides are completely unhinged that they tolerate such behavior as a tit for tat. That is what is wrong.  Omar was wrong with her comments, she needs to own those and apologize. Trump was wrong for his tweet. It would be nice if he did the same, but we know that isn't going to happen.  However, Omar's continuing statements on matters such as these do not make her a sympathetic character.   Maybe a Twitter hiatus for everyone would be wise.

10 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

This attitude is reminiscent of excusing sexual assault because of how a woman looks -- "look at how she dressed, she was asking for it."

We expect the President to be the adult in the room, but if we have not had a more divisive president in my lifetime!  He only cares to "bring people together" if everyone agrees that he's the greatest.   Representative Omar's lack of leadership sounds like projection.

I don't think you can confuse me as a Trump defender. He is wrong, but we know he not going to change. But that does not mean that she should stoop to his level. If you want to create change and solve the problem, quit contributing to the problem.

When she makes a dumb statement, her go to response always incorporates at least  one of the following

1) well we are living in a world with the most racist president in history

2) I would not react so strongly but for the fact the president is a racist, so my bigoted comments are really because of him

3) Anyone who disagrees with my comments are racist and no better than the racist president.

The problem is, she needs to own her comments. She belongs to the Chris Seelbach school of politics. Make an outrageous statement about a group that is completely wrong and bigoted, then when people express outrage, hide behind your ethnic or cultural status and claim victimhood. That is the game Omar is playing here.     

Pretty sure these cruel a$$holes get together to think up new ways of being more petty....

How A Trump Proposal Could Reduce 'Happy' Disabled People

The Trump Administration is considering monitoring "disabled people’s social media profiles to determine" if their benefits should be cut off.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/imanibarbarin/2019/04/11/how-a-trump-proposal-could-reduce-happy-disabled-people/amp/

36 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I don't think you can confuse me as a Trump defender. He is wrong, but we know he not going to change. But that does not mean that she should stoop to his level. If you want to create change and solve the problem, quit contributing to the problem.

When she makes a dumb statement, her go to response always incorporates at least  one of the following

1) well we are living in a world with the most racist president in history

2) I would not react so strongly but for the fact the president is a racist, so my bigoted comments are really because of him

3) Anyone who disagrees with my comments are racist and no better than the racist president.

The problem is, she needs to own her comments. She belongs to the Chris Seelbach school of politics. Make an outrageous statement about a group that is completely wrong and bigoted, then when people express outrage, hide behind your ethnic or cultural status and claim victimhood. That is the game Omar is playing here.     

What did she actually say in this instance that was wrong? Why would she apologize for making an accurate statement? This is some next level ridiculousness on your part. Her completely accurate and reasonable quote was taken out of context and she is supposed to apologize? LOL k. 

2 hours ago, Hootenany said:

The "some people did something" part was lazy for sure, but there is absolutely no indication that it was malicious and the Republican reaction to it is absurd, but predictable. 

I'm curious as to what you would take as a genuine "indication" that it was malicious.  (I assume that we agree that trivializing 9/11 is inherently malicious, and the question is whether that remark did so?  Or is that not even as a safe assumption?)

1 hour ago, Gramarye said:

I'm curious as to what you would take as a genuine "indication" that it was malicious.  (I assume that we agree that trivializing 9/11 is inherently malicious, and the question is whether that remark did so?  Or is that not even as a safe assumption?)

Remember when you argued that nothing Trump did mattered because it got conservatives what they wanted in the end?  I'm not sure how you now get to feign outrage over a misrepresented quote that pales in comparison to most of the things you glossed over for Trump.  It would be easier to take you all seriously if you were at all consistent.

Edited by jonoh81

2 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

What did she actually say in this instance that was wrong? Why would she apologize for making an accurate statement? This is some next level ridiculousness on your part. Her completely accurate and reasonable quote was taken out of context and she is supposed to apologize? LOL k. 

Remember, though, we should hold this Muslim immigrant from Somalia to a higher standard than anyone else in politics (except, maybe, AOC), including the President.

Very Stable Genius