gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

So this is bigger than the Trump Presidency, but his administration is abusing it. I don't think the headline addresses the root cause well, but the article does go deeper into it. This should be a really big story, but unfortunately, no story sticks anymore.

Why You May Never Learn the Truth About ICE

By Matthew Connelly

Dr. Connelly is a professor of history at Columbia.

The National Archives is letting millions of documents, including many related to immigrants’ rights, be destroyed or deleted

All this is happening without so much as a congressional hearing — Congress has not called Mr. Ferriero to appear for almost five years, when he spoke about why the National Archives has been rated as one of “The Worst Places to Work in the Federal Government.”

Archivists have a tough job even when they are adequately supported. They somehow have to predict what records future historians will judge to be truly significant. But now the State Department is cutting archivists completely out of the process: Instead, it will start using machine learning algorithms to separate the “historic” from the “temporary.” Going forward, it is not even planning to turn these records over to the National Archives — a clear violation of the Federal Records Act. And so far there has been no public acknowledgment or discussion of this plan. When a group of concerned historians met with Archives senior staff members, they did not even seem to be aware of it.

In fairness, the National Archives’ own inspector general has repeatedly warned that its information-technology systems are antiquated and unreliable. Mr. Ferriero himself announced that in two years the Archives will no longer accept paper records — it simply doesn’t have any more room for them. Everything must be digital, or the departments and agencies must use their own resources to scan them.

3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This is truly insane.

I bet the reason is because he doesn’t want to touch him since he doesn’t want to get cancer. 

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

16 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

So this is bigger than the Trump Presidency, but his administration is abusing it. I don't think the headline addresses the root cause well, but the article does go deeper into it. This should be a really big story, but unfortunately, no story sticks anymore.

By Matthew Connelly

The National Archives is practically a political science case study in why it's better to have both friends and enemies in politics than to have neither.  You can find occasional grumbling from this or that legislator about the Archives, but their moments in the spotlight have been truly rare.  There is almost nobody who wants to eliminate the National Archives the way certain liberals want to eliminate ICE and certain conservatives want to eliminate HUD, Energy, Education, Commerce, etc.  But you also don't find any truly zealous defenders of the Archives, either.  It's the constant target of the softest deathblow in budgetary elbow fighting: "what you do is important, but not as important as [litany of more politicized causes to whichever side is speaking]."

11 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

This is truly insane.

Unfortunately I suspect it's because he is in far worse shape than is being let on.  😞

Rush the person is far less outlandish, and also more libertarian, than his show persona.   On air, he pretty much personifies Poe's Law.

Edited by E Rocc

4 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Unfortunately I suspect it's because he is in far worse shape than is being let on.  😞

Rush the person is far less outlandish, and also more libertarian, than his show persona.   On air, he pretty much personifies Poe's Law.

I'm sorry, you don't get to distinguish the person from the show persona. He goes on the radio every day for hours and has made boatloads of money sowing seeds of divisiveness, anger, and hatred. He has done this for decades. You are the person you present to the world. 

12 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

I'm sorry, you don't get to distinguish the person from the show persona. He goes on the radio every day for hours and has made boatloads of money sowing seeds of divisiveness, anger, and hatred. He has done this for decades. You are the person you present to the world. 

"I'm sure Alex Jones "the person" is pretty reasonable", he said lmfao

Very Stable Genius

You will be shocked, I'm sure, to hear of Portman's idiocy in explaining why he's voting for acquittal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/opinion/trump-impeachment-acquitttal.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

For four months, since the release of the memorandum of the call between President Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, I have consistently said that Mr. Trump’s request for an investigation of Joe Biden and any effort to tie the release of military aid to investigations were improper and shouldn’t have happened. However, I do not believe these actions rise to the level where it would be necessary to remove a president from office.

The founders intended for impeachment to be extremely rare, and they required those seeking to remove the president to meet the burden of proving “high crimes and misdemeanors,” like treason or bribery. In this case, unlike in other impeachments, no crime was alleged. Although there may be circumstances where a crime isn’t necessary for a president to be impeached, to be impeached under such a circumstance would require meeting an even higher bar, and it wasn’t met here.

In addition, the House engaged in a rushed process that lacked fundamental fairness. The constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley calls it “the shortest proceeding, with the thinnest evidentiary record, and the narrowest grounds ever used to impeach a president.” It was also the only purely partisan impeachment in history.

"There was no crime alleged because I voted against hearing evidence and testimony from witnesses that may have alleged such a crime.  Innocent!"

I do appreciate him citing the buffoon Turley, as if we needed further reason to take him as a joke.

It wasn't "purely partisan."  Justin Amash is not a Democrat.

Rushing an impeachment case through the House without due process and giving the Senate a half-baked case to finish set a dangerous precedent. If the Senate were to convict, it would risk making this kind of quick, partisan impeachment in the House a regular occurrence. That would serve only to further deepen the divides that seem to permeate every part of our society today.

The foremost alleged witness would not honor a House subpoena, only a Senate one, which Portman voted against.  The President bragged about having all the documents the House wanted.  And Portman is actually alleging the process was "rushed" and "half-baked."

Vote this idiot out in 2022.  He thinks we're all fools.

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

This is a ripping good read. This dude is on a tear. Left me shredded....

Wow

Edited by KJP

2 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

You will be shocked, I'm sure, to hear of Portman's idiocy in explaining why he's voting for acquittal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/opinion/trump-impeachment-acquitttal.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

"There was no crime alleged because I voted against hearing evidence and testimony from witnesses that may have alleged such a crime.  Innocent!"

Vote this idiot out in 2022.  He thinks we're all fools.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4745590/user-clip-rob-portman-supporting-impeachment

Asked today why he’s confident Trump won’t ask another foreign power to probe a political rival, here's how Portman responded:

“I think the message has been delivered. Again if you listen to not what I’ve said but what so many others have said on our side of the aisle ... I think it’s clear where that line is. None of us want to see interference in our election. ... I think the message has been delivered."

Again, he thinks we're all fools.

Very Stable Genius

I don't know what the big deal is. Pelosi has been shredding Trump for years....

3 hours ago, DEPACincy said:

Which is why no Trump supporter or apologist should ever get the benefit of the doubt.  They have to excuse or ignore some truly horrendous things.  Rush is an awful human being, and if there is a hell, he’ll get a front row seat. 

33 minutes ago, KJP said:

I don't know what the big deal is. Pelosi has been shredding Trump for years....

What, exactly, has she shred?

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, KJP said:

This is a ripping good read. This dude is on a tear. Left me shredded....

It was a very dumb move for Pelosi to tear up the speech last night.  Not even going into the respect for the office of the presidency part, she really hurt the Dems with her actions.

1) Instead of letting Trump's hyper partisan speech be the issue and attacking it for what it was, she has made her actions the focal point. (nobody cares about whether the speech contained lies anymore)

2) The Dem response was going to start where they had a chance to rebut the Trump Speech. Nobody paid attention to it, all eyes were on Pelosi and her actions. The rising stars who typically give such rebuttals received no acknowledgement and exposure.

3) After Iowa, The goal would be to turn and pivot quickly back to the candidates on the trail and put the focus on them and get them more national exposure, that did not happen.

4) Instead of working to create a narrative and an agenda, she is now playing defense for her actions, and all people want to talk about is how she tore up the speech, not what the party stands for, etc. 

5) Candidates on the trail who would have loved to have some media coverage were largely ignored because the press focused on Pelosi tearing up the speech. 

6) They showed anger and emotion and were not the sign of someone who wants to demonstrate strong leadership. It showed a little bit of being unhinged.

Staunch leftists may applaud her actions, but in the end they were short sighted and took the focus of those running for president and put the focus on Trump which is exactly what he would want. The more people talk about Trump, the less they talk about the Dem candidates and the harder it is for them to win. 

5 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

There is bipartisan support for removal of the President.

Mitt Romney - liberals can say what they want about his policy.

They can't say he isn't forthright in the face of adversity and cowardice around him. 

What a role model

21 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

It was a very dumb move for Pelosi to tear up the speech last night.  Not even going into the respect for the office of the presidency part, she really hurt the Dems with her actions.

1) Instead of letting Trump's hyper partisan speech be the issue and attacking it for what it was, she has made her actions the focal point. (nobody cares about whether the speech contained lies anymore)

2) The Dem response was going to start where they had a chance to rebut the Trump Speech. Nobody paid attention to it, all eyes were on Pelosi and her actions. The rising stars who typically give such rebuttals received no acknowledgement and exposure.

3) After Iowa, The goal would be to turn and pivot quickly back to the candidates on the trail and put the focus on them and get them more national exposure, that did not happen.

4) Instead of working to create a narrative and an agenda, she is now playing defense for her actions, and all people want to talk about is how she tore up the speech, not what the party stands for, etc. 

5) Candidates on the trail who would have loved to have some media coverage were largely ignored because the press focused on Pelosi tearing up the speech. 

6) They showed anger and emotion and were not the sign of someone who wants to demonstrate strong leadership. It showed a little bit of being unhinged.

Staunch leftists may applaud her actions, but in the end they were short sighted and took the focus of those running for president and put the focus on Trump which is exactly what he would want. The more people talk about Trump, the less they talk about the Dem candidates and the harder it is for them to win. 

This is the type of intellectually dishonest post that makes people question whether you’re just trolling.  Pelosi ripped up a speech of literal lies during an impeachment in which Trump’s party is willing to grant him unlimited power to screw with our election process.  Nothing even matters anymore. Even so, she didn’t break any laws.  She didn’t do anything offensive, and she did nothing as disrespectful to the office as Trump does almost every day.  To say otherwise is pure partisan hackery on your part.  People should be angry about what’s happening.  That more people don’t care or don’t understand is an indictment of the American public.  The founders were worried about this.   We won’t be able to keep what we have at this rate.  

I'm not sure why the "norms" police aren't commenting on the Republicans chanting "FOUR MORE YEARS" like they were at a Trump circle jerk rally.  That was unprecedented behavior at a SOTU.

Very Stable Genius

3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I'm not sure why the "norms" police aren't commenting on the Republicans chanting "FOUR MORE YEARS" like they were at a Trump circle jerk rally.  That was unprecedented behavior at a SOTU.

It’s morning in America, 1938 style. 

Edited by jonoh81

20 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

This is the type of intellectually dishonest post that makes people question whether you’re just trolling.  Pelosi ripped up a speech of literal lies during an impeachment in which Trump’s party is willing to grant him unlimited power to screw with our election process.  Nothing even matters anymore. Even so, she didn’t break any laws.  She didn’t do anything offensive, and she did nothing as disrespectful to the office as Trump does almost every day.  To say otherwise is pure partisan hackery on your part.  People should be angry about what’s happening.  That more people don’t care or don’t understand is an indictment of the American public.  The founders were worried about this.   We won’t be able to keep what we have at this rate.  

You apparently quit reading the post after the first line to see that this was not an indictment about how she was disrespectful. It was a post about how she did the Dems a disservice by taking the spotlight off of the other Dems who were vying for office and redirecting the narrative into a personal spat between her and Trump.

How you can find that to be trolling is beyond me? I ask you to step back from your partisanship and examine it through a non-political lens, and look at what good could have come from her actions and what bad could have come from her actions.  If the point was to defeat Trump, you don't want to do something that gives him the high ground. His speech may have been filled with lies but people are not focusing on that and instead are focusing on her behavior. She took the focus off his behavior and made it about her. Talk to any PR person and they would likely agree, it was not a good move on her end.  Look at the actions objectively through a non-partisan eye and you will see.  

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

What, exactly, has she shred?

His manhood. What little he had. Trump is paranoid about her.

Fewer people are talking about Trump's speech last night and more about the shredding.

Whatever. They're all insecure children anyway. I don't know why anyone's surprised about anything anymore.

Pelosi ripping the speech is right out of the Trump playbook. Nobody is talking about his speech they are talking about her.  Nice troll job by Nancy. 

56 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Mitt Romney - liberals can say what they want about his policy.

They can't say he isn't forthright in the face of adversity and cowardice around him. 

What a role model

I don't agree politically with Mitt on many issues but I consider him to be a man of integrity. 

"My vote will likely be in the minority in the Senate, but irrespective of these things, with my vote, I will tell my children and their children that I did my duty to the best of my ability believing that my country expected it of me." - Mitt Romney

Edited by freefourur

16 minutes ago, KJP said:

His manhood. What little he had. Trump is paranoid about her.

Fewer people are talking about Trump's speech last night and more about the shredding.

Whatever. They're all insecure children anyway. I don't know why anyone's surprised about anything anymore.

Trump poll numbers: Highest since March 2017

No one ever talks about Trump's speeches anyway.  He's a reality show President and has more experience as a reality TV star than anyone in that chamber last night.  You cannot win at his game.  Ripping up the speech is just more meat for his base.

Speaking of children, are they still separated?  Does he still have his new (bad) trade deal?  Did his massive military budget get passed (with little to no resistance from Pelosi)?

Very Stable Genius

6 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Pelosi ripping the speech is right out of the Trump playbook. Nobody is talking about his speech they are talking about her.  Nice troll job by Nancy. 

This is going to come back to haunt the Democrats in coming months when this clip is used in campaign ads to show how vindictive it appears. I'm imagining a split screen showing Trump touting his accomplishments on one side, and Pelosi's performance on the other. Not good optics. 

1 minute ago, eastvillagedon said:

This is going to come back to haunt the Democrats in coming months when this clip is used in campaign ads to show how vindictive it appears. I'm imagining a split screen showing Trump touting his accomplishments on one side, and Pelosi's performance on the other. Not good optics. 

nobody will care about this in 2 days.  And Trump has no accomplishments really. 

^ A whole bunch of lines are about the economy which hasn't changed since he took office. Then a whole bunch of fluff. Trump is a TV president. He does nothing but golf, break the law, and figure out ways to get good press coverage. 

21 minutes ago, freefourur said:

If she were running for president it could be considered a shrewd move on her end and allowed her to reframe the narrative around her goals and accomplishments. But she is not running for president and therefore, should not be usurping all the attention that would be given to other dems. 

Just now, Brutus_buckeye said:

If she were running for president it could be considered a shrewd move on her end and allowed her to reframe the narrative around her goals and accomplishments. But she is not running for president and therefore, should not be usurping all the attention that would be given to other dems. 

It takes attention from the president.  That's all that matters. 

One big Tump accomplishment - He will be the first president in the history of the U.S. to get a vote for conviction from a member of his own party. #winning. 

Kristen Sinema will vote to remove too. Wow, expected her not to tbh

Edited by YABO713

23 hours ago, ryanlammi said:

By Matthew Connelly

The C.I.A. alone had an estimated 160 million pages of paper records as of the late 1990s, and since then it has released less than 10 percent — fewer and fewer every year. It has not even reviewed the vast majority of the holdings of the clandestine branch for public release, claiming they are exempt from normal declassification review. The agency has a long history of destroying records related to the overthrow of democratically elected governments, mind control experiments and torture....

are we.jpg

Edited by surfohio

9 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Kristen Sinema will vote to remove too. Wow, expected her not to tbh

the fact is there aren't many (any?) moderate, independently minded Democrats left. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have their troops on a tight leash. Sinema was probably facing a lot of threats from the party bigwigs to toe the line. So, not really a surprise. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

Manchin will vote to convict on both counts.  It's a bipartisan vote for conviction and partisan vote to acquit. Looks like they can retire that talking point now.  

Edited by freefourur

39 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

Yes, we all remember how "grab 'em by the *****" cost Trump in 2016.  Wait...

Very Stable Genius

3 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Manchin will vote to convict on both counts.  It's a bipartisan vote for conviction and partisan vote to acquit. Looks like they can retire that talking point now.  

Bipartisan support (Amash) for impeachment, and bipartisan support for removal.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

You apparently quit reading the post after the first line to see that this was not an indictment about how she was disrespectful. It was a post about how she did the Dems a disservice by taking the spotlight off of the other Dems who were vying for office and redirecting the narrative into a personal spat between her and Trump.

How you can find that to be trolling is beyond me? I ask you to step back from your partisanship and examine it through a non-political lens, and look at what good could have come from her actions and what bad could have come from her actions.  If the point was to defeat Trump, you don't want to do something that gives him the high ground. His speech may have been filled with lies but people are not focusing on that and instead are focusing on her behavior. She took the focus off his behavior and made it about her. Talk to any PR person and they would likely agree, it was not a good move on her end.  Look at the actions objectively through a non-partisan eye and you will see.  

That's a hell of a misrepresentation of what happened.  How did Pelosi manage to do that simply by ripping up a paper?  As for being personal, it should be personal to everyone who values the Constitution, rule of law, the office of president and our democracy.  Thoughts and prayers on the speech copy, though.  And great use of projection.

1 hour ago, eastvillagedon said:

What exactly are Trump's accomplishments?  Can we get a list?  And not from a twitter feed by another sycophant?

Also, can you give us the definition of "vindictive" without googling it, because I'm not sure you understand what it means if you think Pelosi is for ripping up a paper, but not Trump who stalked, threatened and fired an ambassador for not towing the line on his attempt to lie about Ukraine and destroy American democracy for his gain.  Republicans will forever be cowards and traitors to their country.  The Benedict Arnolds of the modern era.  

Edited by jonoh81

3 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

What exactly are Trump's accomplishments?  Can we get a list?

Also, can you give us the definition of "vindictive" without googling it, because I'm not sure you understand what it means if you think Pelosi is for ripping up a paper, but not Trump who stalked, threatened and fired an ambassador for not towing the line on his attempt to lie about Ukraine and destroy American democracy for his gain.  Republicans will forever be cowards and traitors to their country.  The Benedict Arnolds of the modern era.  

I'm so disappointed. I thought you actually read my posts😭😭😭 That's okay, no hurt feelings🙄

Edited by eastvillagedon

The 48 Senators who voted to convict Trump represent 18 million more Americans than the 52 Republicans who voted to acquit.

Democracy!

Very Stable Genius

2 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

I'm so disappointed. I thought you actually read my posts😭😭😭

I want you to list what his accomplishments are.  You're supporting him and obviously going to vote for him again.  Give us the specific reasons why you think he deserves it.  You do have an actual opinion that hasn't been given to you by someone else, right?

Edited by jonoh81