gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

21 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

I think a lot of people are being way too optimistic about this.  So many people have their entire identities wrapped up in the GOP and Trump, that it won't matter what comes out.  I do think Democrats are in a position to win some of those races, but I don't see all that many Senate seats realistically in play.  The Republican base is just as complicit in the destruction of our democracy as their leaders are.  

Republicans are increasingly a minority in this country and they've made a bet (outside of Susan Collins, I suppose) that the MAGA base and mega donors will be more beneficial to them in terms of holding onto power than voting with a CLEAR MAJORITY of their constituents.  Martha McSally, Cory Gardner, and Thom Tillis are the most notable ones with the 2020 election coming, obviously.  They've made the political calculus to double down on the MAGA base - even if they disagree with them - because doing so means Trump is mean to them on Twitter and their donations would dry up.  They probably don't see a big enough base of moderates to hold off the far right if they did vote for witnesses.  So they're choosing their own power and own electoral interests over doing the right thing.

Very Stable Genius

9 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

You need to remember that Trump absolutely thrives on negative press.  For those who think that he has done at least some good things and some bad things, the uniformly hostile press is a convenient and effortless foil for him.  Have you forgotten how much he courted that press in 2016?  Heck, his campaign lived on it.

Lowest poll numbers in his term came after negative press.  The government shutdown did him no favors.  He also tried to drum up negative stories prior to 2018 (remember the scary migrant caravan?) and got absolutely walloped in the midterms.  Exit polling made it clear the midterms were a referendum on Trump.

10 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

McConnell is not going to be assuring anyone that no one will remember this in November.  The reality of a uniformly hostile and unrelenting mainstream media is a baked-in assumption to all Republican campaigns at this point.  Efforts will be focused on marginalizing and delegitimizing that media, which means reducing its access, attacking its credibility, nurturing alternative media outlets, and not giving it propaganda victories.  The operating assumptions of most orthodox Republican campaigns come November can be succinctly summarized as assuming that most mainstream efforts are in spirit propaganda outlets of the DNC.  All senior campaign operatives and surrogates will be instructed to prepare for interviews as they would for cross-examinations, not neutral information-sharing; access to actual candidates, especially those that don't handle the stress of a hostile microphone thrust in their face well, will be carefully restricted.

The operating assumptions of most orthodox Republican campaigns (I assume you mean MAGA-lite or more "establishment" campaigns) come November can be succinctly summarized as assuming that most media outlets trying to report the facts and the truth as propaganda with the DNC is quite an admission.  The Republican Party is fundamentally broken.

Very Stable Genius

Trump is still pressuring Zelensky to get the WH visit part of the quid pro quo. 

Republicans think this is perfect behavior for a president. 

The Bolton book apparently confirms that Trump told Bolton to help his Ukraine pressure campaign.

"Crime is fine." - the Republican Senate

Edited by DarkandStormy

Very Stable Genius

9 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

The Bolton book apparently confirms that Trump told Bolton to help his Ukraine pressure campaign.

Cippilone was in the room at the time.  The same Cipillone that has told us that there is no reason to hear from Bolton.

Can our lawyers here discuss whether they are allowed to represent someone while also being a participant in the alleged crime?

43 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

At this point, Trump has to murder someone on live television to get past the "deeply concerned" stuff from so-called moderates, but even then I doubt it.  Bolton was there.  He was a direct, first-hand witness to the abuse of power.  The reality, though, is that Republicans need Trump.  Trump has no values, no morals, no convictions, and is therefore their perfect leader.  He's a man capable of anything, and that's what it'll take to stop the demographic tide ready to sweep the trash out.

14 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Profile in courage:

He goes on to say he's consistent because he didn't support impeaching Obama over "damage he's doing to our economy and our national security" and then provides no evidence of what would have constituted an impeachable offense by Obama.

They're all GD hacks.

Very Stable Genius

"The President met the standard of impeachment but shouldn't be removed from office" is the new "Christine Blasey Ford is credible but give him the lifetime appointment anyway."

Very Stable Genius

Wow, Murkowski showing some real cowardice.  I mean, just ****ing retire if you can't do the job.

"I have come to the conclusion that there will be no fair trial in the Senate.  I don't believe the continuation of this process will change anything."

Voting...wait for it...NO on witnesses lmao

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Wow, Murkowski showing some real cowardice.  I mean, just ****ing retire if you can't do the job.

"I have come to the conclusion that there will be no fair trial in the Senate.  I don't believe the continuation of this process will change anything."

Voting...wait for it...NO on witnesses lmao

None of it is a surprise.  You could see their cowardice from space.  The last hope is for regular Americans to do the right thing and save the country, but that's a setup for disappointment too.  I've seen less blatant corruption in the 3rd World.  

Edited by jonoh81

https://www.portman.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/portman-statement-witnesses-senate-impeachment-trial

“I do not believe that additional witnesses are needed.  I have said consistently for the past four months, since the Zelensky transcript was first released, that I believe that some of the president’s actions in this case – including asking a foreign country to investigate a potential political opponent and the delay of aid to Ukraine – were wrong and inappropriate.  But I do not believe that the president’s actions rise to the level of removing a duly-elected president from office and taking him off the ballot in the middle of an election

I also believe that processing additional witnesses will take weeks if not months, and it’s time for the House and Senate to get back to addressing the issues the American people are most concerned about – lowering prescription drug costs, rebuilding our roads and bridges, and strengthening our economy.   

“House Democrats sent the Senate a flawed case built on what respected law professor Jonathan Turley calls ‘the shortest proceeding, with the thinnest evidentiary record, and the narrowest grounds ever used to impeach a president.’  Instead of using the tools available to compel the Administration to produce documents and witnesses, the House followed a self-imposed and entirely political deadline for voting on these articles of impeachment by Christmas, only to inexplicably stall for 28 days – time they could have used to subpoena witnesses and resolve privilege claims.  

Murkowski said the process was rushed.  Portman said the timing is bad and thinks getting additional witnesses will take weeks, if not months.  But he also said the proceedings have been too short?  He then criticizes the House for not using the tools available to compel the Administration to produce documents and witnesses - WHICH THEY DID.  Trump is running around bragging about how they have the documents!

Subpoena, go through legal battle = this has gone on too long, we acquit

Rush through what they can = this is too rushed, we acquit

****ing jokes.  All of them.

Very Stable Genius

I guess setting a precedent that President is King and can do no wrong is in the best interest of the country?  Maybe Rubio is mixing up country and party again.  Seems to be a common problem lately. 

It doesn't seem to matter what the facts are, the media will do anything it can to distort them. I would like to think this ongoing dog & pony show will end tonight, but we all know it won't. The next chapter has probably already been written and is in the pipeline

Edited by eastvillagedon

8 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

It doesn't seem to matter what the facts are, the media will do anything it can to distort them. I would like to think this ongoing dog & pony show will end tonight, but we all know it won't. The next chapter has probably already been written and is in the pipeline

You should watch the entire video and see how they are all too afraid to answer the question.  Watch Zeldin filibuster for 4 minutes straight instead of answering the question. 

Edited by freefourur

1 minute ago, eastvillagedon said:

you must be watching a different video from the one I posted😕

Yep, you watched an edited video and I posted the full thing. 

Edited by freefourur

12 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

thanks, that was illuminating. I guess their frustration comes from an inability to suffer fools gladly😵

Maybe they'll be better able to answer once they read the Lev Parnas letter to McConnell, and Bolton's book....

I would assume that Tom Steyer and Michael Bloomberg are cutting checks to literally every foreign government to have them dig up dirt on Trump, Pence, Don Jr., Kushner, Ivanka...yes?  I mean, precedence has been set.

Very Stable Genius

7 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I would assume that Tom Steyer and Michael Bloomberg are cutting checks to literally every foreign government to have them dig up dirt on Trump, Pence, Don Jr., Kushner, Ivanka...yes?  I mean, precedence has been set.

Would this even be illegal?   They would be doing with personal money...not taxpayer money authorized by Congress.  

15 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Why spend time digging up real stuff when you can just manufacture it?  #nothingmatters

16 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Would this even be illegal?   They would be doing with personal money...not taxpayer money authorized by Congress.  

yes it's illegal.  you can't accept anything of value for a campaign from foreigners.... unless you're the president i guess. 

Campaigns may not solicit or accept contributions from foreign nationals. Federal law prohibits contributions, donations, expenditures and disbursements solicited, directed, received or made directly or indirectly by or from foreign nationals in connection with any election — federal, state or local.

https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/candidate-taking-receipts/who-can-and-cant-contribute/

In other words, Trump is a fraud and his supporters are either too embarrassed or too stupid to acknowledge it.

And

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Judges, stock market, abuse of power outweigh having a leftist President. Amazing logic. There are no constitutional conservatives.

Very Stable Genius

Would someone weigh in on the prospect for a mistrial?  Having the white house consul be the lead defender where he was a witness to the whole thing and lied throughout the trial and also helped write on the cue cards for Senator’s questions is a miscarriage of justice. 
    Personally i think the House should get Parnas and Bolton’s eyewitness testimonies under oath and send the the impeachment charges right back to the Senate with likely new charges. The one reporter is seeking trumps dna to match up to what he left on her dress that was tested. So many crimes this dude commits it could keep the senate quite busy impeaching.  

And

Reminder that we have a goof-in-chief....

Edited by KJP

2 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Democracy!

We were once a Republic, but quickly degrading into an Oligarchy.   

44 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

We were once a Republic, but quickly degrading into an Oligarchy.   

A reminder that this was one of the big fears of a Trump presidency that we were told was ridiculous.

For those who are angry or disheartened by the massive coverup, this is a hopeful thread.  There are at least some Republicans who see this for what it is and are switching parties.  With more and more evidence coming out and possible House subpoenas for Bolton and others, as well as a clear defiance of the wishes of most of the electorate, there is a glimmer of hope that this was a bridge too far for a lot of people.  

1 hour ago, jonoh81 said:

For those who are angry or disheartened by the massive coverup, this is a hopeful thread.  There are at least some Republicans who see this for what it is and are switching parties.  With more and more evidence coming out and possible House subpoenas for Bolton and others, as well as a clear defiance of the wishes of most of the electorate, there is a glimmer of hope that this was a bridge too far for a lot of people.  

Not holding my breath....

You laugh, but tomorrow he'll have a map of Kansas with a sharpied in border showing that Kansas City is indeed in Kansas.  42% of Americans will believe him and complain that the media and coastal elitists are biased for pointing out that Kansas City is in Missouri.  Trump will still win Missouri in a landslide because they think Trump "understands" them.  Southern states will change their geography textbooks to comply with the tweet.

A striking thread. Please read it, regardless of how you feel about Walsh's politics.....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article239913588.html

President Donald Trump has repeatedly said all Americans should “stand proudly” during the national anthem, and publicly chastises those who don’t as disrespectful of the troops.

But during the national anthem at his own Super Bowl watch party Sunday night, a brief video posted to Instagram shows Trump greeting guests, adjusting his chair, and straightening his suit jacket as other attendees — including first lady Melania Trump and their teenage son — stand with their hands over their hearts. As “The Star Spangled Banner” crescendoes, Trump raises both of his hands in the air, and twirls them around as if conducting the music.

Will the "don't disrespect the troops" crowd call out Trump?  I'm guessing not.

Very Stable Genius

Charlie Kirk and others are already fabricating the case for massive voter fraud. He and his DonZombies will use it to fight to keep (ie: barricade) Cheato in the White House. This is outright lying and it's disgusting....

5 minutes ago, KJP said:

Charlie Kirk and others are already fabricating the case for massive voter fraud. He and his DonZombies will use it to fight to keep (ie: barricade) Cheato in the White House. This is outright lying and it's disgusting....

The "report" he is referencing has been debunked as false, but disinformation pays.

Very Stable Genius

Trump Job Approval at Personal Best 49%

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/trump-job-approval-personal-best.aspx

=================================

Granted, some of this was apparently the impeachment bump ... Republicans rallied to the flag, so to speak.  Trump's job approval among Republicans hit 94% (and there was definitely a time when it was considerably lower than that, dragging down his overall numbers).  His disapproval number is still higher than his approval number, which is impressive given 49% approval, because usually there are at least some people expressing no opinion.  That window is tiny this time: 49% approve, 50% disapprove, 1% neither.