gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

I think to some degree Trump will suffer from not knowing enough people and not knowing their full background, but I think he's also messing with a bunch of these guys.  Giving a bunch of them the idea that they're "in", when they're not. 

"You're fired!"

Gosh i hope his brand isn't suffering too much overseas. Hopefully both of his istanbool towers can be profitable. Erdogan can probably tell his people to book it up if trump sends over gulen for a show trial.

Maybe Giuliani and Gov. Christy can be cellmates?

If Hillary Clinton Belongs in Prison, So Does Rudy Giuliani

Jacob Sullum

Nov. 16, 2016

During the presidential campaign, Rudy Giuliani argued (correctly) that Hillary Clinton could be charged with a federal felony for mishandling classified information through her sloppy email practices as secretary of state even if she did not intend to break the law. But there is also a strong case to be made that the former New York City mayor, who reportedly is in the running for attorney general or secretary of state in the Trump administration, committed multiple federal felonies by assisting Mujahedeen-e-Khalq (MEK), an Iranian opposition group that the State Department listed as a terrorist organization until September 2012.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/16/if-hillary-clinton-belongs-in-prison-so

Update: More Than 400 Incidents of Hateful Harassment and Intimidation Since the Election

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/15/update-more-400-incidents-hateful-harassment-and-intimidation-election

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Update: More Than 400 Incidents of Hateful Harassment and Intimidation Since the Election

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/15/update-more-400-incidents-hateful-harassment-and-intimidation-election

Probably caused by George Soros's army of rabble rousers.

400 incidents is hardly a problem in the grand scheme of things. It is part of living in a free country. Sometimes we have to put up with a little crap, but it is worth it because of the benefits that freedom brings.

I encourage you to move on, take your head out of its bubble and quit stewing about each perceived individual slight that may happen and enjoy life. It is too short to worry about Donald Trump

Yeah Ken.  You should try to emulate the GOP after Obama's elections.  Don't worry about the POTUS, what he does, and what he stands for.  Just move on and enjoy life.

Yeah Ken.  You should try to emulate the GOP after Obama's elections.  Don't worry about the POTUS, what he does, and what he stands for.  Just move on and enjoy life.

He does not have to love the fact Trump won, I get it, but c'mon, quit being such a Debbie downer. 

^ Not a spike in hate crimes, Ken just goes out seeking negative information and trying to find anything negative to justify his views. Finding a few stories about a hate crime or two does not make a trend. This stuff will go on periodically, it is part of living in a free country. However, it is the rare exception and not the norm. Ken likes to find these one in a million problems and act like they are going on regularly on every corner when in fact they are a rare exception.

^^and if you're following the news you know that those hate crimes are being committed by people on both sides of the political divide, so maybe we should just call for an end to all of them. Or maybe someone being attacked for wearing a Make America Great Again hat doesn't get the benefit of being the victim of a hate crime?

^Whether or not that is a hate crime depends on the hate crime laws in the particular state it happened, and while I wish it were more, the states which designate political affiliation or beliefs as a hate crime category are few and far between.  That said, no reasonable person would not denounce anyone who physically assaults a Trump supporter and you certainly won't find many people at all who would say the attackers should not be prosecuted.  They should be arrested and vigorously prosecuted, just like any other physical assault.

^ Not a spike in hate crimes, Ken just goes out seeking negative information and trying to find anything negative to justify his views. Finding a few stories about a hate crime or two does not make a trend. This stuff will go on periodically, it is part of living in a free country. However, it is the rare exception and not the norm. Ken likes to find these one in a million problems and act like they are going on regularly on every corner when in fact they are a rare exception.

You are seriously due for one of these moments...

hqdefault.jpg

Ok, Ken goes out SEEKING NEGATIVE INFORMATION? This stuff is EVERYWHERE. There are so many incidents it's impossible to escape them. I see at least 20 a day in my various social media feeds.

Yes, it is sensationalist and perpetuated in the social media bubble that you are in. I am not unrealistic and not saying that it does not exist, but to the extent of the doom and gloom and day or reckoning that Ken likes to post, I am saying that the world is not that bad.

^^Well, I think Ken could rightfully say that after the eight years of drivel we had to read on here about the Obama Presidency, including every conspiracy theory.  The pic I posted captures the dad's face at the moment of realization that he did learn it from him..... which I why I posted it.

^ I for one never posted anything about right wing conspiracy moments on this site. While I was never a fan of Obama I generally thought both he and his family ran the office well and kept the dignity of the presidents office in high esteem. I hated his policies and did not vote for him either time and glad his time is done.

I was not a trump nor Hillary fan. Nor do I buy in these conspiracy stories. So to your point, Ken did not learn his behavior from me over the last 8 years.

^Fair enough.  I can't say I remember you doing that.  But I also can't remember you ever decrying others for doing so over the course of the past 8 years.  It's only been a week and you are already all over KJP.

^Whether or not that is a hate crime depends on the hate crime laws in the particular state it happened, and while I wish it were more, the states which designate political affiliation or beliefs as a hate crime category are few and far between.  That said, no reasonable person would not denounce anyone who physically assaults a Trump supporter and you certainly won't find many people at all who would say the attackers should not be prosecuted.  They should be arrested and vigorously prosecuted, just like any other physical assault.

The commotion is over an article on the SPLC's website. It simply states they have received an influx of reports of "harassment and intimidation." So we aren't even talking about actual hate crimes, we don't know that all of these reported events actually happened, and if any of them actually were crimes, there's absolutely no way anyone has been found guilty yet - they likely haven't even been charged or made it to a grand jury yet.

^Fair enough.  I can't say I remember you doing that.  But I also can't remember you ever decrying others for doing so over the course of the past 8 years.  It's only been a week and you are already all over KJP.

To be honest, I have called out some conspiracy theories as such, however, not so much on this page as other sites I frequent. Typically, I had not really frequented the politics section of UO much in the past and was more interested in the development side of things.

i don't deny there's a certain "echo chamber" to my friends' posts, but much of my social media, especially twitter, is a very, very broad base of sources of news.

There IS an increase in hate crimes since this election. That's not a conspiracy theory or echo chamber. It's happening. It's happened to several people I know PERSONALLY and that's not "echo chamber-dependent." I have a friend who was called a disparaging term for a gay person. I have another friend who got a threatening note under their car windshield. These are actual people, not fringy tin-foil hat sites reporting on people being "worried" about what might happen.

i don't deny there's a certain "echo chamber" to my friends' posts, but much of my social media, especially twitter, is a very, very broad base of sources of news.

There IS an increase in hate crimes since this election. That's not a conspiracy theory or echo chamber. It's happening. It's happened to several people I know PERSONALLY and that's not "echo chamber-dependent." I have a friend who was called a disparaging term for a gay person. I have another friend who got a threatening note under their car windshield. These are actual people, not fringy tin-foil hat sites reporting on people being "worried" about what might happen.

Name calling and anonymous notes are not always reported, now of course they are because of the election.  Neither is nice, but neither rises to the level of what we would normally call "hate crimes".  The stuff reported against people assumed to be pro-Trump does.

CNN reporting that Christie was pushed out by Trump's son-in-law:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/opinions/jared-kushner-opinion-louis/index.html

You know it's easy to have a cocky walk and ask out Trump's daughter when at age 25 you've had enough money given to you that you can buy the New York Observer.  By contrast, when I was 25 I had a net worth of -$50,000 or thereabouts. 

^^and if you're following the news you know that those hate crimes are being committed by people on both sides of the political divide, so maybe we should just call for an end to all of them. Or maybe someone being attacked for wearing a Make America Great Again hat doesn't get the benefit of being the victim of a hate crime?

I wish we could just wait before jumping to dramatic conclusions.  How often do we hear something that seems like a terrible thing only to later learn we had no context or there was more to the story?  We just need to not be so reactionary.  There's ample time to get things right before acting, we should use that time. 

The commotion is over an article on the SPLC's website. It simply states they have received an influx of reports of "harassment and intimidation." So we aren't even talking about actual hate crimes, we don't know that all of these reported events actually happened, and if any of them actually were crimes, there's absolutely no way anyone has been found guilty yet - they likely haven't even been charged or made it to a grand jury yet.

I don't see how that is responsive at all to my reply to EVD.  He was talking about the video YOU have continually referenced.

I don't see how that is responsive at all to my reply to EVD.  He was talking about the video YOU have continually referenced.

I was addressing the argument in general - most of the incidents on SPLC's website are not hate crimes. The video I posted very likely was a hate crime. The evidence points to the fact that the crowd was mad about Trump's election, and wanted to beat up a white guy. However, the fact that it happened in Chicago means charges likely won't be pursued adequately.

Trump did go on national television and say "Stop it" to any of his supporters who might be committing violent acts.  I haven't heard Clinton or Obama or anyone on the left call on their supporters to stop the violence even though by all measures there's more coming from that side than the other. I suppose when Trump goes high, they go low?

It is now being speculated that Trump will nominate Mitt Romney for Secretary of State.  Drain the swamp?

That's the fourth name I've heard in a week for Sec of State.

Didn't Romney trash him pretty hard during the campaign?  I don't know what sort of Sec of State Romney would make but you can't say he's surrounding himself with "yes-men". 

I was addressing the argument in general - most of the incidents on SPLC's website are not hate crimes. The video I posted very likely was a hate crime. The evidence points to the fact that the crowd was mad about Trump's election, and wanted to beat up a white guy. However, the fact that it happened in Chicago means charges likely won't be pursued adequately.

Trump did go on national television and say "Stop it" to any of his supporters who might be committing violent acts.  I haven't heard Clinton or Obama or anyone on the left call on their supporters to stop the violence even though by all measures there's more coming from that side than the other. I suppose when Trump goes high, they go low?

Violence is not being committed by Clinton or Obama "supporters".  Just because someone is black doesn't mean they are liberal supporters.  And Obama has numerous times called for an end to violence at protests.  That wasn't reported on the alt-right sites, so I will give you a pass.

Here's just one of many examples...

“We saw in San Jose these protesters starting to pelt stuff and Trump supporters,” Mr. Obama said at a fundraiser near Biscayne Bay, Florida. “That’s not what our democracy is about. That’s not what you do. There’s no room for violence. There’s no place for shouting. There’s no room for a politics that fails to at least listen to the other side — even if you vehemently disagree.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/3/obama-calls-democrats-stop-violence-trump-rallies/

smiley_nope.gif~c200

Japanese American internment is ‘precedent’ for national Muslim registry, prominent Trump backer says

A spokesman for a major super PAC backing Donald Trump said Wednesday that the mass internment of Japanese Americans during World War II was a “precedent” for the president-elect’s plans to create a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

During an appearance on Megyn Kelly’s Fox News show, Carl Higbie said a registry proposal being discussed by Trump’s immigration advisers would be legal and would “hold constitutional muster.”

“We’ve done it with Iran back awhile ago. We did it during World War II with the Japanese,” said Higbie, a former Navy SEAL and a spokesman for the pro-Trump Great America PAC.

Kelly seemed taken aback by the idea.

“Come on, you’re not proposing we go back to the days of internment camps, I hope,” she said.

“I’m not proposing that at all,” Higbie told her. “But I’m just saying there is precedent for it.”

More below:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/17/japanese-internment-is-precedent-for-national-muslim-registry-prominent-trump-backer-says/

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Trump will remake agency that ruled against his Vegas hotel

A Las Vegas hotel owned by President-elect Donald Trump is locked in a battle with the federal agency charged with enforcing the nation's labor laws.

The problem: As President, Trump will soon appoint three of its five members.

The issue before the National Labor Relations Board is whether the Trump International Hotel must negotiate with Unite Here, a coalition of the Culinary Workers union and Bartenders union. The employees, in a 238 to 209 vote last year, said they want to be represented by the group.

Despite that, Trump's hotel management has refused to recognize the union, charging that employees were intimidated into voting Yes. The labor board heard the hotel's complaints and rejected them in a November 3 ruling.

All three members of the labor board -- two Democrats and one Republican -- ruled the hotel must recognize the union and negotiate with the union. Trump's attorneys have filed a federal lawsuit challenging the ruling.

More below:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/17/news/companies/trump-hotel-labor-dispute/index.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Bills would target burqas, whiny college students, abortions

Iowa Rep. Bobby Kaufmann is upset that college students reacted to Donald Trump's election by retreating to "cry rooms" and blocking Interstate 80 with their protests.

Kaufmann says he'll file a bill that will penalize state colleges that fund election-related sit-ins and grief counseling beyond what is normally available, the Des Moines Register reports.

Schools would be subject to a budget cut twice what they spent on such an activity. His bill would set new criminal penalties for protesters who shut down highways.

"You've got a right to be a brat," Kaufmann said, according to CNN affiliate WQAD. "You've got a right to protest, that's constitutionally protected. But you do not have a right to throw a temper tantrum on I-80 and put my constituents' lives in danger."

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/proposed-bills-trnd/index.html

Pence tells House GOP to 'buckle up' for breakneck pace

Vice President-elect Mike Pence told his former colleagues in the House Thursday to "buckle up" for an ambitious open to the new administration, marked by efforts to roll back Obamacare and regulations and tackle tax reform.

"I'm very confident that as we move towards inauguration, bring together a great team, work in concert with leaders in the House and Senate, and we're going to move an agenda that's going to rebuild our military, revive our economy, and -- in a word -- make America great again," Pence said Thursday after he left his meeting with the House Republican Conference -- a group he used to chair when he was in Congress four years ago.

Pence, embracing his role as a chief liaison to Congress for the new administration of Donald Trump, was clearly happy as he headed to the Hill. He has multiple meetings with Congressional leaders throughout the day Thursday, including with House Speaker Paul Ryan, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/mike-pence-house-republicans/index.html

I wonder how many of these Baby Boomers were part of protests and boycotts in their younger days, and are now yelling at "the youth" for being upset and protesting the outcome of this election.

Japanese American internment is ‘precedent’ for national Muslim registry, prominent Trump backer says

A spokesman for a major super PAC backing Donald Trump said Wednesday that the mass internment of Japanese Americans during World War II was a “precedent” for the president-elect’s plans to create a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

During an appearance on Megyn Kelly’s Fox News show, Carl Higbie said a registry proposal being discussed by Trump’s immigration advisers would be legal and would “hold constitutional muster.”

Justice Scalia had some words on Korematsu many years ago that I thought were just him being his usual ascerbic self at the time, but which are a little bit more ominous now.  He said that the ruling was wrong, but that the executive would still be likely to get away with a similar program in the future anyway, just because "inter arma enim silent leges" (in time of war, the laws fall silent).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/08/justice-scalia-on-kelo-and-korematsu/

Nevertheless, that's far from a ringing endorsement of Korematsu as law.  More an empirical warning that the Supreme Court alone cannot enforce its will on a rogue executive; if the executive ignores the judiciary and the legislature ignores the executive ignoring the judiciary, the recourse (other than the ultimate Second Amendment one) of the citizenry is somewhat limited.

^I do too. I also like Haley for the position. Giuliani scares the sh!t out of me.

Romney or Haley at least are convincing as diplomats, regardless of experience, just because of personality and demeanor.

Which is probably why the pick will be someone like Bolton or Gaffney.

The problem is, Ken doesn't have to go out of his way to find this kind of attitude.  He only needs to look here:  https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Take a scroll through the last year with hundreds of tweets demeaning women, Mexicans and other people he doesn't agree with.  Go back even further and follow his years of claiming Obama wasn't legitimate, and people should resist anything he wants to do. 

These are not exceptions in Trumps world.  They are the norm.   

This started as a joke, but we are beginning to see the guy doesn't have the slightest clue what he's doing.  He's draining the swamp, but saving some of the water to pump right back into it. 

Pence tells House GOP to 'buckle up' for breakneck pace

Vice President-elect Mike Pence told his former colleagues in the House Thursday to "buckle up" for an ambitious open to the new administration, marked by efforts to roll back Obamacare and regulations and tackle tax reform.

"I'm very confident that as we move towards inauguration, bring together a great team, work in concert with leaders in the House and Senate, and we're going to move an agenda that's going to rebuild our military, revive our economy, and -- in a word -- make America great again," Pence said Thursday after he left his meeting with the House Republican Conference -- a group he used to chair when he was in Congress four years ago.

Pence, embracing his role as a chief liaison to Congress for the new administration of Donald Trump, was clearly happy as he headed to the Hill. He has multiple meetings with Congressional leaders throughout the day Thursday, including with House Speaker Paul Ryan, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/mike-pence-house-republicans/index.html

This scares me more than Trump!  Pence will try to rewind America 100 years if he gets his way, especially if he gets a Supreme Court on his side. 

I don't find the news. It finds me. I pick a few of the articles in my Twitter and Facebook news feeds to share here. If I posted them all, I'd be spending a lot more than the 10-20 minutes I spend now in sharing them. I don't read most of the articles I post because most news makes me furious and sick to my stomach. The headlines are awful enough for me. It's why I gave up watching cable TV news networks years ago. I'd get so angry at the general meanness of people that I'd want to burn down the world. And I really am an optimist who prefers to advocate for transportation projects that build the world up. I can't be an optimist if I read or watch the news, but I also want to have some idea of what's going on in the world. And since I'm really not interested in a discussion with many of you, posting articles is my way of saying "I don't care enough about what you think regarding a political issue to respond in my own words, so here's an article for you to chew on instead." And if you don't like it, so much the better.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Nope, didn't read this one either....

Ken Burns: Trump is using Nazi playbook

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/10/20/ken-burns-trump-intv-amanpour.cnn

False equivalency will be the downfall of the world.

1. Donald Trump runs the ridiculous campaign he ran, with all the rhetoric we've discussed ad nauseum, and is elected president anyways.

2. BUT THIS ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTER IN PORTLAND BROKE A WINDOW LAST WEEK!!! THE LEFT IS JUST AS BAD!!!

And then so many people just accept these types of gas-lighting arguments. It's misdirection, brainwashing.

THE LEFT ACCUSED TRUMP OF HATE AND NOW LOOK AT ALL THE HATE THEY'RE SHOWING TO HIM!!! HYPOCRITES

If you can't tell the difference between

1) scaring children into believing they're going to be deported, and 2) hating the guy who scared them

you're an idiot. and a coward.

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - MLK

I know what's right and what's wrong, and I don't give a f%$# what some protesters did.  Our democratic norms and institutions are in danger. But HRC deleted some emails guys. They're both bad!™

Trump To Name Picks For National Security Adviser, Attorney General, CIA Director

The president of the NAACP called Sessions' appointment "troubling," while a legislative counsel at the ACLU called him "the senator with probably the most anti-immigrant, anti-refugee, anti-child record in the Senate."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/18/502207098/trump-picks-sen-jeff-sessions-for-attorney-general

I know what's right and what's wrong, and I don't give a f%$# what some protesters did.  Our democratic norms and institutions are in danger. But HRC deleted some emails guys. They're both bad!™

You, and liberals en masse, are not the arbitrators of right and wrong. Morality is subjective. It is not "wrong" to deport  illegal immigrants. If that scares some children along the way (and I'm being gracious to even address that because 'please think of the children' arguments are some of the lamest out there) it isn't Trump's fault - it's the fault of the parents who broke the law to sneak into the US, and it's their fault alone.

What is wrong, and immoral, is assaulting someone because of how they voted. The only false equivalencies here are the ones your making to justify the violence and hate the left is spewing. Hate is hate - whether you hate someone for their political views or their birthplace you're still a hateful person.

What is wrong, and immoral, is assaulting someone because of how they voted.

It's also a very dangerous trend. 

For the time being it's only being practiced by the undisciplined.

That one video of an isolated incident is going to be the alt-right's battle cry for some time now.  It's the new New Black Panthers video.  They may as well run it on continuous loop on the front page of Breitbart, if it isn't already.  It will be used to justify anything and everything they want to do to #MAWA 

That one video of an isolated incident is going to be the alt-right's battle cry for some time now.  It's the new New Black Panthers video.  They may as well run it on continuous loop on the front page of Breitbart, if it isn't already.  It will be used to justify anything and everything they want to do to #MAWA 

That's not the only one.  Just the worst so far.

^Has Obama offered to pay the attackers' legal fees?

Nobody should make excuses for that type of behavior, regardless of whether the attack was unprovoked or caused by a Trump or Clinton supporter agitating a fired up crowd.  But isolated incidents of violence are not going anywhere.  They happened at Trump rallies (I don't recall any happening at Clinton rallies), with his supporters physically assaulting protesters, and they happen at protests against Trump, with the protesters assaulting people who are there to counter protest.  And then you have this white nationalist porn video of some black hooligans beating a white man with the crowd in the background agitating the situation further by saying the white guy voted for Trump.  Those are all criminal acts, regardless of the context.  But what really bothers me is this notion that those acts by random people somehow justify hate being spewed and injustice being inflicted by elected officials and being made part of an actual political agenda.  It is that line of thinking which the southerners used to justify their Jim Crow laws.  It's beyond a slippery slope.  It's a cliff.  Trump's team knows that nothing motivates his base supporters like fear.  Watch him use it.