gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

7 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

uh huh

President Obama and cheeseburgers: A love story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/05/19/president-obama-and-cheeseburgers-a-love-story/?utm_term=.08c519fe1108

Michelle Obama's 'oh my god' moment: eating french fries at Buckingham Palace

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/21/michelle-obamas-oh-my-god-moment-eating-french-fries-at-buckingh/

Doesn't this kinda prove the point? The reason these stories got press is because they are unexpected and funny. Same as Trump's fast food meal. No scandal involved in either case, just funny. 

You conservatives really need to get a sense of humor. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

Doesn't this kinda prove the point? The reason these stories got press is because they are unexpected and funny. Same as Trump's fast food meal. No scandal involved in either case, just funny. 

You conservatives really need to get a sense of humor. 

Trump says they bought "1,000 burgers" for Clemson. "It was piled up a mile high," he said

Amazon Washington Post response: "FACT CHECK: At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

it's called a "figure of speech." Talk about not having a sense of humor!😂

2 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

Trump says they bought "1,000 burgers" for Clemson. "It was piled up a mile high," he said

Amazon Washington Post response: "FACT CHECK: At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

it's called a "figure of speech." Talk about not having a sense of humor!😂

They're poking fun at their own penchant for fact checking Trump.  I thought it was a rather lame joke, but it was clearly a joke nonetheless, which seems completely lost on you.  I guess you really don't have a sense of humor.  You're the type of person that thinks saying "Amazon Washington Post" passes for humor.

Edited by jam40jeff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does the entire "Amazon Washington Post" thing derive from the President's Napoleon complex about self-made people more successful and wealthy than him? 

Just now, YABO713 said:

Does the entire "Amazon Washington Post" thing derive from the President's Napoleon complex about self-made people more successful and wealthy than him? 

Yes. 

1 minute ago, YABO713 said:

Does Trump think adding "Amazon" in front of "Washington Post" makes it less credible?  Or is he trying to use the Washington Post name to discredit Amazon?  It seems to be a rather ineffective attempt at throwing shade.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, edale said:

^ Trump is very calcuated. A genius he most certainly is not. But a calculating con man? Yeah, I'd say that fits. He knows how to control the media, and he knows how to distract people from the truly important stuff that is going on at the moment. I know it feels good to totally discredit him, but the very fact that a New York billionaire was able to convince dirt poor people in West Virginia and Oklahoma and Michigan that he was one of them is evidence alone that he's a skilled scammer. He's manipulative and knows what motivates people- primarily fear and anger.

He is definitely not a genius, though he may be calculating.  What I think he certainly is is shameless.  He knows how to hit below the belt and appeal to people's fears and nastiness.  The thing is that any junior high bully knows those things as well.  Most grow out of it, or they go nowhere in life because of their antisocial behavior.  But Trump had daddy's money to make him rich and famous- and the Russian mob connections to keep him rich and famous even after he bankrupted himself.

1 minute ago, jam40jeff said:

Does Trump think adding "Amazon" in front of "Washington Post" makes it less credible?

Yes, it's like when liberals talk about the "Trump"  White House.

3 minutes ago, X said:

Yes, it's like when liberals talk about the "Trump"  White House.

But wouldn't his base have a much higher opinion of Amazon than the Washington Post?  I would think this would have the opposite of the intended effect, bringing (in their minds) some legitimacy to the Washington Post.

1 minute ago, GCrites80s said:

At least Trump acknowledges that Amazon is bad for the economy.

On the whole you're probably right. But I know a few small business owners who have actually benefited from Amazon

31 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

Oh, the irony ...

No irony here. There's a reason that comedians tend to be liberal and the only Republican comedians out there are not at all funny (Tim Allen? Dennis Miller?). Remember when Fox News tried to do a late night comedy show in the vein of The Daily Show? What a massive failure. SAD!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DEPACincy said:

No irony here. There's a reason that comedians tend to be liberal and the only Republican comedians out there are not at all funny (Tim Allen? Dennis Miller?). Remember when Fox News tried to do a late night comedy show in the vein of The Daily Show? What a massive failure. SAD!

which liberal comedians are funny? I can't think of one :classic_huh:

9 minutes ago, freefourur said:

Are they really bad for the economy though?

If you disliked Walmart in the '90s and '00s because they killed off other businesses, then yes.  Amazon is doing the same thing.  Except because they own the largest e-commerce portal they can track data of successful businesses and then decide if they want to get in on it, undercut those businesses on price (selling at a loss even), and then bleed those companies out of existence.  They have done this many times and will continue to do so.  It's a catch-22 -> these companies need to sell on Amazon to be successful, but do it too well and Amazon will just turn around and beat you.

There's a reason Bezos wanted to call the company Relentless originally.

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

At first people thought it was funny but then the lectures about "unhealthy food" started, never mind that this is exactly what college football players eat at parties.   And never mind that previous White House visits have been quick meet and greets.

It's utterly ridiculous and a classic example of why he succeeds.   He gives (and tells) people what they want.   The longer his opponents keep making this out to be some sort of horrible thing, the more success he will have.

I'm pretty sure his detractors care a lot more about his endless negative personality flaws, terrible economic, domestic and international policy and general disregard for rule of law, let alone his potential treason, than a f****** hamburger being served to some college football players.  Those are all real things.  Your manufactured scandal is not. 

The inability of his supporters to focus on literally anything of actual importance seems pathological.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarkandStormy said:

Good lord...talking Big Macs and comedians for nearly a page on this thread while we still don't know if Donnie is compromised by the Russians.

Don't forget the caravan that's headed to the border. Those pesky Central Americans keep timing this up with significant moments in America. 

Also, while Trump's antagonism towards the Washington Post (or even Jeff Bezos personally) is fair game for this thread, talk about whether Amazon overall is good or bad for the country is probably a bridge too far (though I get that that could be a hard line to police).  We do have other threads where Amazon has been and can still be discussed extensively (and to the extent someone wants to start an Amazon-specific thread, if we don't already have one, that would be a reasonable decision given Amazon's presence in Ohio at this point).

3 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

If you disliked Walmart in the '90s and '00s because they killed off other businesses, then yes.  Amazon is doing the same thing.  Except because they own the largest e-commerce portal they can track data of successful businesses and then decide if they want to get in on it, undercut those businesses on price (selling at a loss even), and then bleed those companies out of existence.  They have done this many times and will continue to do so.  It's a catch-22 -> these companies need to sell on Amazon to be successful, but do it too well and Amazon will just turn around and beat you.

There's a reason Bezos wanted to call the company Relentless originally.

I get that Amazon is bigger than other small retailers and causes some damage to traditional retail. But is Amazon overall bad the the economy as a whole.  I'm not sure if we really know the answer to this. 

Ironically, we viewed WalMart as this goliath that would forever rule retail and then Amazon came around.  Someone is gonna out do Amazon at some point.  

54 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

I don't think he's calculated at all. He's Pavlovian. He says something, it gets a reaction, and he knows to do that again. It's not even conscious. It's instinctual and base. It's how we all would act if we didn't have a conscience or a concept of the long-term. 

He's like a mouse in a maze.  Everything he does seems based on learned behavior from repeating the same behavior over and over again until he gets the reaction he wants, just like the mouse getting his cheese.  The man is incredibly simplistic.  His one advantage is that many people are equally as intellectually vapid and are unable to see him for what he really is.  He's not a chess player, not a strategist.  He just listens for the loudest applause from idiots.

• Like 2

Wow.  Did he declare bankruptcy AGAIN?!?

It's amazing that people don't realize the only reason the former host of the The Apprentice pulled the fast food stunt with Clemson football is so he can brag about paying for the grub out of his own pocket.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/01/15/varsity-blues-turns-20-james-van-der-beek-best-football-movies-ever

3 hours ago, Gramarye said:

Liberals need comedians to make them laugh.  Conservatives have liberals. 😛 

That's not nice to call conservatives comedians. 

Edited by KJP

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

10 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

Trump's generosity is well known

How many single parents did Donnie steal money from with his fake university?  

It had to be a lot since he was forced to pay $25MM for being a charlatan hustler. 

^ I didn't watch the video. Did they actually receive the check?? 

Meanwhile.....

LOL! Wait, I should be crying.....

6 hours ago, Gramarye said:

Liberals need comedians to make them laugh.  Conservatives have liberals. 😛 

Then why do conservatives feel the need to whine about all late night TV hosts non stop.  You would think a liberal comedian on TV would be pretty damn funny to them.  I tell my Trumpkin friends all the time, if you really all hate Jimmy Kimmel as much as you say, why don't you watch a conservative late night talk show?  

• Like 1

‘The Lowest White Man’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/trump-immigration-white-supremacy.html

And

Michael Cohen reportedly plans to 'say things that will give you chills' in his congressional testimony

https://theweek.com/speedreads/817890/michael-cohen-reportedly-plans-say-things-that-give-chills-congressional-testimony

And

Does Burger King count as a comedian? Great troll job...

FB_IMG_1547614073307.thumb.jpg.d8608ac1194e71fd6bb390cc71152471.jpg

Edited by KJP

3 hours ago, Cleburger said:

Then why do conservatives feel the need to whine about all late night TV hosts non stop.  You would think a liberal comedian on TV would be pretty damn funny to them.  I tell my Trumpkin friends all the time, if you really all hate Jimmy Kimmel as much as you say, why don't you watch a conservative late night talk show?

I honestly don't think conservatives are as fixated on late night TV hosts as much as you think.  Some professional conservative columnists might use them as low-effort punching bags on a slow news day when they need something to write about, maybe.  But I can't remember the last time a late night host came up when talking with conservatives in any of my own in-person social circles, whether just in bar banter or in any kind of serious conversation about issues.  Maybe my own experience is unrepresentative here.

11 hours ago, Cleburger said:

Because they think late night talk shows are relevant.

• Like 1

Edited by KJP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-place-i-feel-very-comfortable-t-mobile-executives-seeking-government-approval-for-merger-stayed-at-trumps-hotel-repeatedly/2019/01/15/6a114d3e-142c-11e9-b6ad-9cfd62dbb0a8_story.html?utm_term=.dd73c4513c55

T-Mobile announced a merger needing Trump administration approval. The next day, 9 executives had reservations at Trump’s hotel.

Acting COS Mick Mulvaney is on record as being a pay-for-play politician so he'll fit right in it seems.

Very Stable Genius

Pelosi sent a letter to Donnie asking to delay the SOTU until the government is open. 

image.thumb.png.8872fa25492e2a1152444f7dab466369.png

On further reading it does not appear that she is asking at all. 

Edited by freefourur

15 hours ago, freefourur said:

How many single parents did Donnie steal money from with his fake university?  

It had to be a lot since he was forced to pay $25MM for being a charlatan hustler. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Four American soldiers killed by a totally defeated ISIS this morning in Syria during operations to leave the country. 

Come on now, Trump wouldn't lie and/or make a rash decision based on the willful ignorance he and his followers share.  Clearly fake news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freefourur said:

Pelosi sent a letter to Donnie asking to delay the SOTU until the government is open. 

On further reading it does not appear that she is asking at all. 

I think that's a perfectly reasonable ask, actually.

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

I think I said years ago in this thread that the Emoluments Clause presents greater legal jeopardy for Trump than any accusations of treason or criminal activity involving Russian activities to influence the 2016 election.  (I also concede the strong possibility that he crossed legal lines in his dealings in real estate in Manhattan and elsewhere, particularly with respect to welcoming Russian money seeking to escape Russia and invest in hard assets in safer Western markets, i.e., Russian capital flight.)  Ever since it was revealed that he did not put his business assets into a blind trust run by nonmembers of his family.

• Like 2

Trump's net approval rating has dropped ~6% since the shutdown started.  Gallup has him at a whopping -22 net (dis)approval.  This is a losing issue for him and he's getting hammered for it.

Very Stable Genius

15 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

I think that's a perfectly reasonable ask, actually.

I think I said years ago in this thread that the Emoluments Clause presents greater legal jeopardy for Trump than any accusations of treason or criminal activity involving Russian activities to influence the 2016 election.  (I also concede the strong possibility that he crossed legal lines in his dealings in real estate in Manhattan and elsewhere, particularly with respect to welcoming Russian seeking to escape Russia and invest in hard assets in safer Western markets, i.e., Russian capital flight.)  Ever since it was revealed that he did not put his business assets into a blind trust run by nonmembers of his family.

Emoluments has and always will be (unless and/or until we have proof is revealed that he was actively involved in aiding Russia in interfering in the election) my biggest issue with Trump. He completely ignored it.