gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

So what you're saying is just because the journey is bad (which is true) that justifies needless traumatizing of kids when they get there? And being upset about one's government doing that is illegitimate? Explain to me the false outrage bit because it seems like a really stupid line that's meaningless.

What if the journey was easy? By your logic, separation would be wrong in that instance, but it's ok in the instance of a rough journey. Ok.

Just thinking some more about your ridiculous logic. "If anything bad happens to a kid, that justifies doing other bad things to them, and anyone mad about it is lying."

Also, the idea that the separation is temporary is questionable because the administration seemed to have no plans to reunite the kids.

False outrage? This has nothing to do with laws or borders. This has to do with human compassion. The ability to empathize has been lost on a portion of our population by dehumanizing a group of people. Children even. To the people on this forum who are referring to taking children away from families and placing them in camps, in which they may never be reunited as "false outrage", you have lost a part of your soul in all of this "us versus them" phenomenon. Take a step back. Stop focusing on the ancillary details and have some compassion to fellow people. What happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"? Have we forgotten who we are as Americans? There are, and were, ways to go about this with some human decency. What will happen to those who will not be reunited? They will spend their childhood lives living in foster care as undocumented minors (off of your hard earned tax dollars). Once they turn 18, without a plan like DACA in place, they will be deported. All they will know is the US and they will be sent to "their" country that they don't even remember. This administration enacted a plan without any thought to the people that it would effect for a lifetime and that is shameful. We need to recenter and find the human element again. But that will never happen with Trump because all he cares about is himself. There is godliness in empathy, understanding, and compassion. All I've seen from this administration is bordering on evil.

“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!

LOL ok, Donnie.

@realDonaldTrump

You cannot pass legislation on immigration whether it be for safety and security or any other reason including “heart,” without getting Dem votes. Problem is, they don’t care about security and R’s do. Zero Dems voted to support the Goodlatte Bill. They won’t vote for anything!

Republicans hold majorities in both Houses you idiot.

Very Stable Genius

The phrase fake outrage is similar to virtue signal.  Since they feel no empathy for these children,  then anyone who is must be disingenuous. 

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/06/22/fox-friends-host-these-arent-our-kids-its-not-trump-doing-people-idaho-or-texas/220515

Fox & Friends host: "These aren't our kids. ... It's not like [Trump] is doing this to the people of Idaho or Texas"

Very Stable Genius

We should stop treating Melania as an innocent victim.  She is complicit.  She expressed to us all that she doesn't care.  And even if it was an oversight she decided to put the jacket on again upon returning even in the stifling heat.  She is a full on fascist like her hubby.

BTW, when is she going to release the information showing that she wasn't illegally working in the US. 

Does anyone actually believe, when Republicans hold majorities in both Houses of Congress, Donnie's lie about it being the Democrats fault?  Like...I want to meet people this naive.

Very Stable Genius

It's funny that the ultimate deal maker hasn't been able to make any deals.  The collapse of immigration reform falls on the feet of the GOP.  They can't even pass anything in the house.  Didn't Trump spend time with them and say that they were getting a bill ready? 

The Art of the Deal.

Just fake outrage #143 by the D's/Media against Trump, how dare he enforce laws on the books before he took office!  Why do the D's care about children from a different country but support killing unborn children in their own country?  Disgusting

First, we already established that there is no law requiring the Trump administration to separate families. Trump had to reverse course on that line when he signed an executive order, admitting that he had the power the whole time.

Second, I keep hearing this line from Trumpers but the fact of the matter is this administration only enforces laws it likes. For example, EPA enforcement has dropped significantly and the administration has completely stopped enforcing the Consumer Protection Act. Where is your outrage that Trump isn't "enforcing laws on the books"? If you had any semblance of forethought (or maybe you do and you're just trolling?) you would realize that we have limited resources to enforce laws. That's why police officers don't pull you over if you're doing 36 in a 35. So since Trump has decided to harshly enforce the laws for first time misdemeanor offenders there are less resources to go after actual criminals. Trump claims to be so concerned about MS-13 but he's focusing law enforcement resources on punishing families that are fleeing MS-13 instead of finding and prosecuting gang members.

Just fake outrage #143 by the D's/Media against Trump, how dare he enforce laws on the books before he took office!

First-time illegal entry into the United State is a misdemeanor.

Lying on or materially omitting facts on your SF-86 disclosure form - which Jared Kushner has admitted to doing MULTIPLE TIMES - is a felony.

If you're going to "enforce all laws" and have a "zero tolerance" policy I expect you'll show up to protest at the White House tomorrow over Kushner's felonies.

Very Stable Genius

For the people that can’t see El Salvadorans as humans worth caring about, think about the canary in the coal mine. If these people can be split apart and it is seen as a feature, then if we all accept that what else would the administration do?  Also, this is creating all new bureaucracy and new expensive contracts to hold these people. They are farming out these contracts to for-profit companies.

For the people that can’t see El Salvadorans as humans worth caring about, think about the canary in the coal mine. If these people can be split apart and it is seen as a feature, then if we all accept that what else would the administration do?  Also, this is creating all new bureaucracy and new expensive contracts to hold these people. They are farming out these contracts to for-profit companies.

For profit prisons are big time donors to the Republican party.

The latest "Time" magazine cover (yes, they still print those, presumably for doctor office waiting rooms and such) really, really sends a different message when you know the truth behind the images (a truth that more than likely won't be printed on the pages of Time):

EXCLUSIVE: 'They're together and they're safe.' Father of Honduran two-year-old who became the face of the family separation crisis when she was photographed in tears as her mother was searched by U.S. border control speaks out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5869829/Father-two-year-old-face-child-separation-crisis-speaks-out.html

In an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Hernandez, who lives in Puerto Cortes, Honduras, says that he was told yesterday that his wife and child are being detained at a family residential center in Texas but are together and are doing 'fine.'

'You can imagine how I felt when I saw that photo of my daughter. It broke my heart. It's difficult as a father to see that, but I know now that they are not in danger. They are safer now than when they were making that journey to the border,' he said.

Denis said his wife and daughter were never separated by border control agents and remain together.

So they just merely caused some trauma for her.  They're practically saints.

The false outrage here is building to epic levels.  Everyone is so concerned about these children and how they are treated the minute the cross into the US (illegally)....  never mind the parents subjected them to a 2,000 plus mile journey through deserts, hopping aboard moving trains, crossing rivers, dealing with smugglers...  honestly, who on this forum with young children could ever imagine subjecting their kids to any of that?  After they land in the US, it must be the greatest sigh of relief to at least know the family is safe, given food & water, even if they are separated temporarily

EDIT - the USA Today has about 8 pages dedicated to this story.  Documenting where these people are coming from, why they are leaving, how they are getting here, how they are treated once they arrive, who is helping them, how they re-settle in the US...  very informative on all fronts

NPR today was reporting that the record keeping/implementation of Donald Trump's Child Concentration Camps was so awful, essentially the equivalent of the little paper numbers you get at a coat check in some cases, that some of these children may never be reunited with their families.

The false outrage here is building to epic levels.  Everyone is so concerned about these children and how they are treated the minute the cross into the US (illegally)....  never mind the parents subjected them to a 2,000 plus mile journey through deserts, hopping aboard moving trains, crossing rivers, dealing with smugglers...  honestly, who on this forum with young children could ever imagine subjecting their kids to any of that?  After they land in the US, it must be the greatest sigh of relief to at least know the family is safe, given food & water, even if they are separated temporarily

EDIT - the USA Today has about 8 pages dedicated to this story.  Documenting where these people are coming from, why they are leaving, how they are getting here, how they are treated once they arrive, who is helping them, how they re-settle in the US...  very informative on all fronts

Oh, USA Today?  Did you miss these stories?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/21/abused-immigrant-children-allege-mistreatment-detention-center/720773002/

Immigrant children as young as 14 housed at a juvenile detention center in Virginia say they were beaten while handcuffed and locked up for long periods in solitary confinement, left nude and shivering in concrete cells.

The abuse claims against the Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center near Staunton, Virginia, are detailed in federal court filings that include a half-dozen sworn statements from Latino teens jailed there for months or years. Multiple detainees say the guards stripped them of their clothes and strapped them to chairs with bags placed over their heads.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/21/lawsuit-alleges-abuse-migrant-children/723476002/

Migrant children suffered physical abuse, including forced injections of psychotropic drugs, at private youth shelters contracted by the U.S. government to house undocumented minors, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court by a human rights organization.

The lawsuit alleges that the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Refugee Resettlement "routinely" places migrant children on psychotropic drugs without parental consent and without telling the kids about the medication "in utter disregard of state laws."

Yeah, sounds great.

Very Stable Genius

The latest "Time" magazine cover (yes, they still print those, presumably for doctor office waiting rooms and such) really, really sends a different message when you know the truth behind the images (a truth that more than likely won't be printed on the pages of Time):

EXCLUSIVE: 'They're together and they're safe.' Father of Honduran two-year-old who became the face of the family separation crisis when she was photographed in tears as her mother was searched by U.S. border control speaks out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5869829/Father-two-year-old-face-child-separation-crisis-speaks-out.html

In an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Hernandez, who lives in Puerto Cortes, Honduras, says that he was told yesterday that his wife and child are being detained at a family residential center in Texas but are together and are doing 'fine.'

'You can imagine how I felt when I saw that photo of my daughter. It broke my heart. It's difficult as a father to see that, but I know now that they are not in danger. They are safer now than when they were making that journey to the border,' he said.

Denis said his wife and daughter were never separated by border control agents and remain together.

NPR today was reporting that the record keeping/implementation of Donald Trump's Child Concentration Camps was so awful, essentially the equivalent of the little paper numbers you get at a coat check in some cases, that some of these children may never be reunited with their families.

These aren't "our children" though.  So no no big deal.

^^Stop it with the false outrage, they just arrived from a long journey, they are probably happy the US government is giving their kids psychotic drugs without their consent.

washingtonpost.com

Separated families: Why it’s so difficult to reunite migrant parents with their children

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.sieff

7-9 minutes

BROWNSVILLE, Tex. — Each of the mothers had a different memory of the moment she was separated from her child.

For some, it was outside a Border Patrol station just north of the Rio Grande, shortly after being apprehended. For others, it was after an interrogation by federal authorities in a bitterly cold air-conditioned office.

---------------------------------

Further complicating matters are bureaucratic errors that could leave government officials unaware that a child’s parent is detained in the United States. Attorneys also worry that some toddlers, or children who speak indigenous languages, might not have been able to give officials their parents’ complete names.

Because of such complications, attorneys and former U.S. officials have begun speaking about the possibility of “permanent separations.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/the-chaotic-effort-to-reunite-immigrant-parents-with-their-separated-kids/2018/06/21/325cceb2-7563-11e8-bda1-18e53a448a14_story.html?utm_term=.20b6bdd146dc

FFS, isn't engaging in a long, perilous journey in the hope for a better life in a new place the literal definition of an immigrant's traditional backstory?  Was making the thousands-of-miles journey across an unpredictable ocean safe?  You are being entirely intellectually dishonest with this argument.

Your assertion that they should merely feel grateful for having their families separated, perhaps indefinitely, for no decent reason, is so arrogant and flippant that it really underscores why you struggle to understand why the whole sordid ordeal upset people.

Well, I guess this destroys the Nazi analogy.

The Nazis actually kept meticulously detailed records of the prisoners at their camps.

These aren't our kids, eh? Guess those FoxNews viewers better throw out that "ALL LIVES MATTER" bumper sticker

As if we all didn't know what All Lives Matter means.  lol

The phonies have no true belief other than white nationalism.

The Nazis actually kept meticulously detailed records of the prisoners at their camps.

They are sloppy Nazis.

They are sloppy Nazis.

The only thing that keeps me optimistic is knowing that they are very bad at what they do.

I might be headed to the border, you guys. I'll keep you posted.

For work (law) purposes?

Yeah, there's a group trying to organize a team to go pro-bono. If we can get logistics paid for, it will likely be a go.

For work (law) purposes?

Yeah, there's a group trying to organize a team to go pro-bono. If we can get logistics paid for, it will likely be a go.

Is there a place we can donate for logistics?

For work (law) purposes?

I will let you know. Because of the potential source of some of the funding I don't want to say anything yet. If we get it solidified I'll let you know ASAP.

As a fun aside: I know NOTHING about immigration law.

I highly recommend donating to Amnesty International, the ACLU or  International Committee of the Red Cross. I can tell you that Amnesty International is devoting a substantial sum of its resources to the crisis here in the USA which is why I gave them a large sum of money. I've noticed ACLU ramping up its efforts here as well, so I may send them some money as well.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

The only one who caused any trauma for this girl is her mother, who separated her from her father and two siblings to sneak into a country over a thousand miles away. The father had no idea his wife was going to leave with one of their daughters. I don't know the local laws in their home country, but I'd be surprised if it were legal for one parent to move a child to another country without the knowledge of the other parent. That's akin to kidnapping. Obviously this is an isolated incident, but the fact that this photo was, and continues to be, all over the media as the face of the "Trump separating families" narrative is yet another prime example of fake news. The facts about the photo, the story behind it, the people in it, etc. don't matter to Time, et. al. I give major props to the Daily Mail for breaking this story. Not many media sources would have been willing to.

^ You still want to focus on this one girl. Meanwhile, 2,000 children who were kidnapped and placed into Trumpentration Camps are still not reunited.  Such bravery of the Daily Mail to focus on what's important.

The only one who caused any trauma for this girl is her mother, who separated her from her father and two siblings to sneak into a country over a thousand miles away.

"The fact that a parent chose to do something with their child that I don't agree with is a justification for my government to do whatever it wants to said child." Such sound logic.

the fact that this photo was, and continues to be, all over the media as the face of the "Trump separating families" narrative is yet another prime example of fake news.

LOL.

You're upset because outlets are using a picture of a two-year old girl who didn't get separated while ignoring 2,300 kids were actually separated from their parents.

You are a troll.

Very Stable Genius

The only one who caused any trauma for this girl is her mother, who separated her from her father and two siblings to sneak into a country over a thousand miles away. The father had no idea his wife was going to leave with one of their daughters. I don't know the local laws in their home country, but I'd be surprised if it were legal for one parent to move a child to another country without the knowledge of the other parent. That's akin to kidnapping. Obviously this is an isolated incident, but the fact that this photo was, and continues to be, all over the media as the face of the "Trump separating families" narrative is yet another prime example of fake news. The facts about the photo, the story behind it, the people in it, etc. don't matter to Time, et. al. I give major props to the Daily Mail for breaking this story. Not many media sources would have been willing to.

yeah, the infamous Time cover was in the news this morning on WCBS radio in NY (the flagship station for CBS), with an brief interview with the article's writer, conveniently omitting the full story. I wonder if Rachel Maddow followed up after her on-air breakdown over the whole situation ::)