gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

So that's the criticism you all want to go with? If you see that as valid criticism, you must also dismiss pretty much every presidential speech and statement ever made, right? When's the last time a president actually wrote all of that stuff on their own?

No one has criticized the statement itself.  Don't you think the difference in writing style is jarring?  A little bit?  If I were a teacher grading his term paper, I might put this text into google and see where he got it.  But you're correct, this is not school and the President can cheat whenever he wants.

Is it a tweet?  Looks more like a FB post. Remember, Twitter has a strict character limit.

A tweet from The Donald himself would've read something like - "MLK.  Great guy.  The best. Took a real tough stand by refusing to move to the back of that bus in Little Rock.  Would be ashamed of Jerk Off John Lewis if he hadn't been killed by terrorist org Nation of Islam. Very sad."

ha! or something like -

"mlk. was yuuuge. loved the women like i do. would have been on board with making america great again. what would he have to lose?"  :mrgreen:

Somebody should check Michelle's past MLK writings/speeches for comparisons.  The hilariously disingenuous MLK post from the Trump team has no resemblance to anything they actually believe or would say themselves, especially after all the Lewis stuff.

I see that CNN is not fake news to you, 8Titles, when it suits your purposes.  Serious question.... well, at least as serious as you can ask a question on such a topic.... but can you give example of five media outlets which aren't fake news?

I sited CNN on purpose so Lib's couldn't claim "fake news".  Here's a link with some reasons why Obama did nothing when the Russians paralyzed WH systems.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/12/remember-when-the-russians-hacked-the-white-houses-computers.php

I was trying to take it easy on down4cle, he's been taking a thumping.

You didn't answer the question. I would like to know, so that if I do wish to cite a source in response to something you post, it won't be dismissed as fake news. 5 outlets is all I ask. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Anything with a "bc" at the end, CNN, NY Times, Boston Globe, and Washington Post would be a good list to start with.

No, no.  I asked you to list five outlets that are NOT fake news. Specifically name them. Go ahead.

Literally anything but the one's I listed??  Throw the USA Today into that bucket as well.

Anything?  Literally?  It's not that difficult. Here, I'll give you an example.

NYT, WSJ, CNN, Fox News (NOT Fox Nation), and BBC

Those are all examples, IMO, of media outlets which do not qualify for the label of fake news. In Fox's case, I'm not counting the opinion shows because even Fox itself admits that's not real news. Most media outlets don't deserve the label.

Go ahead. Name 5 specifically

It is not a Tweet. It's from Facebook. There's nothing indicating he didn't write it, but even if he didn't, what difference does it make? The vast majority of presidential speeches and statements from the past century were drafted by speechwriters. Whether or not the president drafts, writes, edits, reviews, or simply approves the words - the words themselves have the same meaning. The fact that people are picking Trump apart for this now, despite never having done it in for presidents the past, is a pretty obvious sign of your bias.

Also, if any of you read his actual statements, you'd know that this is in line with most of them. From the criticism so far, I assume that most of you only read his words when your preferred news sources very selectively regurgitate them to you, or - at most- occasionally read his Tweets. Tweets are not an accurate depiction of someone's writing style as they are worded to be < 140 characters.

Nobody is picking Trump apart for this.  In fact, everybody is pleased to see him posting such conciliatory words.  It's just that we're all familiar with him and it seems out of character.  This is a guy who typically posts about wanting to nuke people.

Is it a tweet?  Looks more like a FB post. Remember, Twitter has a strict character limit.

A tweet from The Donald himself would've read something like - "MLK.  Great guy.  The best. Took a real tough stand by refusing to move to the back of that bus in Little Rock.  Would be ashamed of Jerk Off John Lewis if he hadn't been killed by terrorist org Nation of Islam. Very sad."

That's classic and pretty much what was rolling around in my head. Trump is the complete opposite of eloquent.

The Chinese government orchestrated a hack effecting 18 million federal employees and Obama did nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/opm-hack-18-milliion/

Hopefully Trump sends a message early on that this type of action will no longer be tolerated without penalties while at the same time investing in IT upgrades (get everything off of Windows based junk) to prevent the attacks from occurring in the first place.

So what do you think Obama should have done? Help topple a pro-Putin president in Ukraine? Done. Move US troops into the Baltic countries? Done. Move more troops into Poland (on top of already having one of the first emplacements of the relatively new Missile Defense Agency)? Done. Move troops or offensive weaponry into Ukraine? There is no NATO agreement with Ukraine, nor will there be one until the obscene amount of corruption is cleaned up.

Obama assisted Ukraine with training its troops and with foreign aid to buy new weapons on the open market (some from US or Western Europe via the Middle East). Ukraine's military is now better trained and better equipped than it was before Euromaiden. They can slow Russian forces. But let's be honest -- even during Reagan's military buildup in Western Europe, the Soviets had a huge superiority in troops and armored units that could've rolled through NATO forces with little resistance. The only thing that kept them from doing so was Reagan's buildup of nuclear forces in West Germany.

So barring giving tactical or strategic nuclear weapons to Ukraine (which isn't going happen) -- there is nothing Ukraine can do to stop Putin's vastly larger ground and aerial forces. They will roll across the Ukrainian countryside in a matter of weeks to surround and/or bypass Kharkiv, Poltava, Dnipropetrovsk (where my wife's mother lives), and Cherkassy (where my wife is from and where her father and brother live) on the way to Kiev to starve and bombard their cities into surrender or into a slow painful death.

Until NATO can be convinced that most of their aid wouldn't be pocketed by government officials and weapons sold on the black market, I would be interested to learn what else you think Obama could have and should have done in Ukraine or elsewhere in Eastern Europe.

The Chinese government orchestrated a hack effecting 18 million federal employees and Obama did nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/opm-hack-18-milliion/

Hopefully Trump sends a message early on that this type of action will no longer be tolerated without penalties while at the same time investing in IT upgrades (get everything off of Windows based junk) to prevent the attacks from occurring in the first place.

So what do you think Obama should have done? Help topple a pro-Putin president in Ukraine? Done. Move US troops into the Baltic countries? Done. Move more troops into Poland (on top of already having one of the first emplacements of the relatively new Missile Defense Agency)? Done. Move troops or offensive weaponry into Ukraine? There is no NATO agreement with Ukraine, nor will there be one until the obscene amount of corruption is cleaned up.

Obama assisted Ukraine with training its troops and with foreign aid to buy new weapons on the open market (some from US or Western Europe via the Middle East). Ukraine's military is now better trained and better equipped than it was before Euromaiden. They can slow Russian forces. But let's be honest -- even during Reagan's military buildup in Western Europe, the Soviets had a huge superiority in troops and armored units that could've rolled through NATO forces with little resistance. The only thing that kept them from doing so was Reagan's buildup of nuclear forces in West Germany.

So barring giving tactical or strategic nuclear weapons to Ukraine (which isn't going happen) -- there is nothing Ukraine can do to stop Putin's vastly larger ground and aerial forces. They will roll across the Ukrainian countryside in a matter of weeks to surround and/or bypass Kharkiv, Poltava, Dnipropetrovsk (where my wife's mother lives), and Cherkassy (where my wife is from and where her father and brother live) on the way to Kiev to starve and bombard their cities into surrender or into a slow painful death.

Until NATO can be convinced that most of their aid wouldn't be pocketed by government officials and weapons sold on the black market, I would be interested to learn what else you think Obama could have and should have done in Ukraine or elsewhere in Eastern Europe.

Obama causes Ukraine to lose Crimea, it's most prized land to Russia. Done

The Obama administration covertly supported the Ukraine coup, why?  Was it because they are nice people wanting to help the people of Ukraine (where my wife of 20 years is from)?  Or was it because enormous oil/gas reserves were discovered in the Black Sea off the coast of Crimea in ~2012, prompting Joe Biden to get his son "Hunter" (see below for more on Hunter) on the board of Ukraine's largest oil/gas company prior to the coup?  My bet is on Democrat nepotism & cronyism vs genuine care for the people of Ukraine.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-hunter-biden-cronyism-nepotism-perspec-1023-jm-20141022-story.html

Now thanks to Obama's miscalculation of Putin and complete mishandling of Ukraine, the Hawaii of the former Soviet Union Crimea belongs to Russia along with the trillions of $$'s that lies right off the coast.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/world/europe/in-taking-crimea-putin-gains-a-sea-of-fuel-reserves.html

Even better, Russia no longer has to deal with Ukraine to maintain its only warm water port, it's all there's now!

Obama also caused many deaths early on in the fighting by refusing to give Ukraine lethal weapons to protect themselves.  And the couple thousand troops going to Poland is nothing more than one last attempt by Obama to somehow get back at Putin for snookering him at every turn.  3,000 troops, that's less than the amount of policeman brought into Cleveland for the RNC, who cares..

A particularly moving statement by the President-Elect today:

fcpub9wgk3ay.png

Whether he wrote it himself or not, those are indeed moving and conciliatory words. But they're just that: words. What is he actually to do to reach out to and make life better for minorities in this country? Up to now, his policy plans give no indication that he has any idea how to help improve their lives.

I see that CNN is not fake news to you, 8Titles, when it suits your purposes.  Serious question.... well, at least as serious as you can ask a question on such a topic.... but can you give example of five media outlets which aren't fake news?

I sited CNN on purpose so Lib's couldn't claim "fake news".  Here's a link with some reasons why Obama did nothing when the Russians paralyzed WH systems.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/12/remember-when-the-russians-hacked-the-white-houses-computers.php

I was trying to take it easy on down4cle, he's been taking a thumping.

You didn't answer the question. I would like to know, so that if I do wish to cite a source in response to something you post, it won't be dismissed as fake news. 5 outlets is all I ask. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Anything with a "bc" at the end, CNN, NY Times, Boston Globe, and Washington Post would be a good list to start with.

No, no.  I asked you to list five outlets that are NOT fake news. Specifically name them. Go ahead.

Literally anything but the one's I listed??  Throw the USA Today into that bucket as well.

Anything?  Literally?  It's not that difficult. Here, I'll give you an example.

NYT, WSJ, CNN, Fox News (NOT Fox Nation), and BBC

Those are all examples, IMO, of media outlets which do not qualify for the label of fake news. In Fox's case, I'm not counting the opinion shows because even Fox itself admits that's not real news. Most media outlets don't deserve the label.

Go ahead. Name 5 specifically

I will qualify my answer, I will "consider" any media outlets outside of the one's I listed, I only cite them here to circumvent the "fake news" tap outs.  I don't maintain a list of outlets I wholeheartedly accept, because there are none.  I consider various sources and piece together what I think really happened or determine what is important because media outlets all have ulterior motives, you have to be a thinker and extract the real news.

Mr. "No Russia ties" with Rotem Rosen (lieutenant of Putin pal Lev Leviev) and other Russian investors in Moscow @TonyRenner @Kasparov63 https://t.co/csj5lJ9k83

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

I went to the Detroit Auto show this weekend & met up with some friends for lunch who work in the auto industry.  One of the guys is in interior trim parts supplier sales.  He said the Trump effect is real in the auto industry.  Projects that were slated for production in Mexico are coming back out for bid here in the US because Ford or whomever is opting to keep or bring back production to the US.  I expect someone from the Trump administration will be putting numbers out soon on these job creation/save stories soon enough.

There is no way that decisions on where to invest large amounts of capital have been made in the 6 weeks since election.  US auto eminent has been increasing for the last 8 years.  Fact

And certainly they wouldn't be doing it now.  The real "Trump effect" will land them the sweetest deal to keep jobs here.  They aren't going to proactively do anything right now when they can get Trump and Pence down on their knees offering tax breaks, etc.

Gee, what a great world leader Trump is...not. When I go to Europe next week, I'll have to hide the fact that I'm an American....

Germany retaliates after Donald Trump labels Nato 'obsolete' and threatens car makers with 35pc tariffs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/16/germany-hits-donald-trump-labels-nato-obsolete-threatens-car/

Explosive. We've become a banana republic...

Former MI6 agent Christopher Steele's frustration as FBI sat on Donald Trump Russia file for months

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-russia-dossier-file-investigation-hacking-christopher-steele-mi6-a7526901.html

Gee, what a great world leader Trump is...not. When I go to Europe next week, I'll have to hide the fact that I'm an American....

Sadly, and in fairness, this has been travel advice suggested to Americans going abroad for some decades. Trump's words and behavior are just an amplification of why that's been recommended for some time now. He is the personification of why many foreigners don't like us.

Explosive. We've become a banana republic...

Former MI6 agent Christopher Steele's frustration as FBI sat on Donald Trump Russia file for months

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-russia-dossier-file-investigation-hacking-christopher-steele-mi6-a7526901.html

I anxiously await all of the Trump supporters who were in favor of full disclosure for the Hillary emails, and thus found the hacking to be justifiable, to question why the public did not have this information before the election as well.

I think the theory that Trump is some sort of Russian puppet is going to be the "birther" conspiracy of Trump's 8 years. Putin could unilaterally surrender to Trump on the deck of the USS Nimitz and we'd still have people in this thread complaining about how he's a puppet.

^ And if it was the other way around you'd be denying it.  But we don't have to hinge our opinions on opaque conspiracy theories, we can look at the words and actions of the man himself.  He's clearly a puppet because he speaks and behaves like a puppet.  He sides with the Russians against our own intelligence agencies, undermines our alliances, praises a tyrant, and looks forward to better relations with that tyrant's kleptocracy.  I fear we will find that Putin is not just senior partner to his protege, Trump, but also a model for how Trump wants to run America.

It's sort of the opposite of the birther thing really, since Obama actually released his birth certificate, birthers had to rely on conspiracy theories with no evidence.  Now, they have to deny and deflect the evidence that is making Trump's compromised status vis-a-vis Russia increasingly undeniable.

I think the theory that Trump is some sort of Russian puppet is going to be the "birther" conspiracy of Trump's 8 years. Putin could unilaterally surrender to Trump on the deck of the USS Nimitz and we'd still have people in this thread complaining about how he's a puppet.

Because that's all they have left at this point.

* From 2009 to 2012 people tried to warn Obama about Putin, Obama wouldn't listen and did nothing.

* Romney tried to warn Obama about Putin/Russia during the 2012 election, Obama in his condescending way dressed down Romney.  Obama did nothing

* After trying to backdoor Putin in Ukraine, Putin checkmated Obama buy claiming Crimea and it's trillions of $$'s for Russia.  Obama placed sanctions for Putin outsmarting him.  As of a report from Oct, 16 Russia is in the midst of a speedy recovery due primarily to more trade within the BRIC's.  So now Russia is more insulated from western sanctions while the West has lost trade with Russia to China.  So the sanctions don't qualify as nothing, they're a step backwards in every area with Russia.

* Obama drew a red line for Putin in Syria; Putin crossed then blew up his red line causing a massive refugee crisis and Russia has its 1st ever military base within the borders of Syria.  Obama did nothing..  Thankfully Turkey has stepped in and pushed aside Obama in an attempt to do something.

* Russia hacked the pentagon, Obama did nothing

* Russia hack led to 18 million government employees information stolen, Obama did nothing

* Russia hacked the White House, Obama did nothing

Now, Russia hacked the DNC spilling the beans on how they fixed the primary for Hillary, and a president-elect is expected to do something?  The first thing he should do is prosecute the people conspiring to do the actual crime of fixing the primary.  We can sort out a punishment for the tattle tale Russians later.

^You are mad at Obama for doing nothing, but Trump isn't sounding any better. He's defending Russia and Putin every chance he gets. He's blasting our intelligence agencies in favor of Russia and now he's telling us we should trust the country that meddled. It doesn't make sense.

* From 2009 to 2012 people tried to warn Obama about Putin, Obama wouldn't listen and did nothing.

* Romney tried to warn Obama about Putin/Russia during the 2012 election, Obama in his condescending way dressed down Romney.  Obama did nothing

* After trying to backdoor Putin in Ukraine, Putin checkmated Obama buy claiming Crimea and it's trillions of $$'s for Russia.  Obama placed sanctions for Putin outsmarting him.  As of a report from Oct, 16 Russia is in the midst of a speedy recovery due primarily to more trade within the BRIC's.  So now Russia is more insulated from western sanctions while the West has lost trade with Russia to China.  So the sanctions don't qualify as nothing, they're a step backwards in every area with Russia.

* Obama drew a red line for Putin in Syria; Putin crossed then blew up his red line causing a massive refugee crisis and Russia has its 1st ever military base within the borders of Syria.  Obama did nothing..  Thankfully Turkey has stepped in and pushed aside Obama in an attempt to do something.

* Russia hack led to 18 million government employees information stolen, Obama did nothing

Now, Russia hacked the DNC spilling the beans on how they fixed the primary for Hillary, and a president-elect is expected to do something?  The first thing he should do is prosecute the people conspiring to do the actual crime of fixing the primary.  We can sort out a punishment for the tattle tale Russians later.

So, the answer to dealing with Putin is to massage his prostate while he sleeps with your wife.

I am still waiting for a Trump devotee to tell me what the proper punishment for a hostile foreign nation interfering I'm our election.

Certainly, becoming his puppet seems to be the answer.   

Speaking for myself, I have a major case of Trump-fatigue setting in.  This week he's battling with John Lewis, last week it was Merrill Streep, before that it was the intelligence community.  Next it's NATO.  On & on.  Guy hasn't even been sworn in yet.  Is this really going to be the pace of his dust-ups and twitter wars?  PHEW

^You are mad at Obama for doing nothing, but Trump isn't sounding any better. He's defending Russia and Putin every chance he gets. He's blasting our intelligence agencies in favor of Russia and now he's telling us we should trust the country that meddled. It doesn't make sense.

You're witnessing the current GOP ideology.  They don't care who they elect, what policies are enacted, or what happens to this country, so long as they can say it was Obama's fault, or somehow go counter to Barack Obama.  It may take them at least one more election cycle to start coming out of this haze....

So, the answer to dealing with Putin is to massage his prostate while he sleeps with your wife.

I am still waiting for a Trump devotee to tell me what the proper punishment for a hostile foreign nation interfering I'm our election.

Certainly, becoming his puppet seems to be the answer.   

Putin has been probing Obama's prostate for 8 years, Obama did nothing.

I personally am not a "Trump supporter", didn't even vote for the man and find much of his conduct immature.  But, I have a disdain for liars, cheats, and hypocrites (synonymous with Democrat), I find them repulsive in every way.

Watching all of this whining and crying by the Lib's about how they were caught red-handed fixing the primary regardless if it was Russia, Geraldo, or Oprah catching them is disgusting.  Not once have I seen even a mention that the D's were wrong in the first place by fixing the primary, there is no honor, no remorse, just nothing but whining & crying, as usual..

^^"The D's" did not "fix the primary" in any way the GOP did not try to fix its own primary to prevent Trump from happening.  Regardless, the fallout has been real.  The DNC chair was ousted in shame, the younger generation of liberals has no faith in the DNC, and some other significant changes are coming.  Not that you would notice.  Your mind is closed.  You are about nothing other than partisanship, and have lost the ability to rationally and objectively view any given issue.  To you, it's all about R's and D's.  That's what happens when you view an entire side of the aisle as repulsive liars, cheats, and hypocrites who have no honor nor any remorse.  So much for the term "bleeding heart liberals".... be sure to call out the next conservative you uses it as being full of sh!t.

^ And if it was the other way around you'd be denying it.  But we don't have to hinge our opinions on opaque conspiracy theories, we can look at the words and actions of the man himself.  He's clearly a puppet because he speaks and behaves like a puppet.  He sides with the Russians against our own intelligence agencies, undermines our alliances, praises a tyrant, and looks forward to better relations with that tyrant's kleptocracy.  I fear we will find that Putin is not just senior partner to his protege, Trump, but also a model for how Trump wants to run America.

It's always interesting to get some insight into the mind of a person who has completely bought into a conspiracy theory. The fact that you can state "He's clearly a puppet because he speaks and behaves like a puppet," is interesting to me. There’s no evidence, at all, that he behaves and speaks that way because he is a puppet. You just can’t open your mind and come up with any other explanation. In my opinion, it's pretty likely that he wants to work with Russia to defeat the world’s greatest enemy, ISIS, and challenge America’s biggest economic challenger, China. In fact, I think the US public is probably more closely aligned with Russia in these regards (and also the migrant crisis) than they are with some of our European allies (though hopefully people like Le Pen in France start taking control and bring them back into alignment with us).

What a lot of conspiracy theories have in common is that they are formed in a way where they are impossible to disprove. You can't really prove a negative, in some cases, and this is one. It's sort of like "proving" to someone that UFO's don't exist. There's literally nothing that could happen that would change your mind, and that's a bit scary (though clearly indicative of American  politics in 2017). Oh well, luckily Trump will be in office on Friday and with Republicans running Congress he should be able to do most of what he wants. I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully Trump, not unlike Reagan, will be able to help tear down the wall that Obama built between us and Russia. Global peace is not a bad thing.

I'm actually encouraged by Trump's health care plan/goals.  It seems like it would be a significant improvement on the ACA.  Coverage for everyone, lower premiums, lower deductibles, and more choices as far as the plan you want and the doctor you prefer.  All this while getting rid of the mandate, keeping the ban on denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, and allowing children to stay on their parents' plans through the age of 26.  As long as he stays the course on those issues, I'm with The Donald on this one.

Speaking for myself, I have a major case of Trump-fatigue setting in.  This week he's battling with John Lewis, last week it was Merrill Streep, before that it was the intelligence community.  Next it's NATO.  On & on.  Guy hasn't even been sworn in yet.  Is this really going to be the pace of his dust-ups and twitter wars?  PHEW

Not to mention Arnold, SNL, etc.

Uninsured people demanding service at the emergency room is the major driver of high health care costs and rising premiums. Any health care reform that wants "universal" coverage and lowered costs and premiums is going to have to address that. The gops in Congress are planning to dump people off of Medicaid and premium support and flood the emergency rooms again. BTW , the Ohio government regulations require that hospitals treat all of them.

The "President who doesn't read" is hinting universal coverage like the single payer Medicare program. That would certainly be shot down by the health insurance companies since they make hundreds of billions of revenue off of private plans.

I suppose that some gop bill is going to show up on stupid's desk in the next month.  Congress  could destroy our protections just by fussing around with the tax aspects of ACA.  Who knows what he will do with it.

It's always interesting to get some insight into the mind of a person ...

Condescension  ... thanks.  That's sarcasm, btw

Of all the condescension taking place in this thread, why call me out for something that arguably (likely) doesn't even fit the definition of the word? That's rhetorical, btw