gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

Pence tried to keep his emails private? That's funny...

Pence pushes for email privacy

By MATTHEW NUSSBAUM 11/14/16 05:06 PM EST Updated 11/14/16 05:06 PM EST

Vice President-elect Mike Pence is seeking to keep secret the contents of an email relating to Indiana’s participation, at his behest, in a lawsuit to block President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration, an Indianapolis Star article revealed Monday.

MORE:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/pence-email-privacy-indiana-231332?cmpid=sf

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Potential Press Secretary Laura Ingraham Is Disgusted By Press Who Report Anything She Deems Negative About Trump

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/11/13/potential-press-secretary-laura-ingraham-disgusted-press-who-report-anything-she-deems-negative/214418

Potential Press Secretary Laura Ingraham Is Disgusted By Press Who Report Anything She Deems Negative About Trump

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/11/13/potential-press-secretary-laura-ingraham-disgusted-press-who-report-anything-she-deems-negative/214418

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

https://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html

posting links from mediamatters is roughly equivalent to infowars

Then don't read it.

Steve Bannon.  Harvard grad... check.  Wall street / Goldman Sachs investment banker... check.  Hollywood mogul.... check.  Influential member of the media... check.

posting links from mediamatters is roughly equivalent to infowars

Not even close.  Maybe Fox Nation.  Infowars is a conspiracy spreading and fear mongering website which tells its readers that 9/11 and Sandy Hook were inside jobs.  It's also the source of many of Ram's more wild conspiracies about Clinton we saw regurgitated here.  Media Matters has a strong slant to it, but no different than countless other more normal right-wing outlets.

"Bill Kristol: Republican spoiler, renegade Jew,"

"Birth control makes women unattractive and crazy,"

"Political correctness protects Muslim rape culture"

"Trannies whine about hilarious Bruce Jenner billboard,

Lol, that's our country's upcoming chief strategist, folks. What a time to live

It's much more likely that we will see the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact implemented. Instead of amending the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College, states would just agree to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Ten states and DC have signed on, representing 165 electoral votes. It would not take effect until the participating states represent 270 votes.

It would be a shame if that compact is put into place without getting more red states involved. The GOP has only won the popular vote once since 1988, and if didn't happen this year, I'm not sure when it will ever happen with the way demographics are changing. This does nothing to solve the problem, which as I see it, being that residents in urban large areas are having their vote trumped (get it?) by folks living in rural areas. If anything, it just sets up a situation where traditionally blue states might (though unlikely given demographics) end up willingly giving their electoral votes away to GOP candidates without the reverse having a possibility of occurring.

1 vote in Wyoming is equivalent to 3.85 votes in California.

It's much more likely that we will see the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact implemented. Instead of amending the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College, states would just agree to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Ten states and DC have signed on, representing 165 electoral votes. It would not take effect until the participating states represent 270 votes.

It would be a shame if that compact is put into place without getting more red states involved. The GOP has only won the popular vote once since 1988, and if didn't happen this year, I'm not sure when it will ever happen with the way demographics are changing. This does nothing to solve the problem, which as I see it, being that residents in urban large areas are having their vote trumped (get it?) by folks living in rural areas. If anything, it just sets up a situation where traditionally blue states might (though unlikely given demographics) end up willingly giving their electoral votes away to GOP candidates without the reverse having a possibility of occurring.

So get a bunch of Californians to move to Wyoming?

The same is essentially true when it comes to our legislature, so why shouldn't it be true when it comes to the executive branch? If we get rid of the electoral college, why keep the Senate around?

Then 2 of the 3 Branches are beholden to a state merely existing. If Absaroka, Lincoln, Deseret and Jefferson became states as planned before WWII we'd have 2,000,000 cowboys deciding elections for everyone else.

I walked by Trump Tower on Sunday psyched up to see some protests and just saw regular people trying to squeeze down sidewalks that had limited access. The street in front was closed off to most traffic except for buses and emergency vehicles (edit- okay, I see a taxi and other cars, maybe they're secret service--lol). There's some discussion of permanently closing it. I don't know how that would be feasible without creating mass chaos. I would say I feel sorry for residents of Trump Tower, but if you can afford to live there you're probably not on food stamps. I found out later in the day there was indeed a protest march involving immigrants (unlike the spoiled-brat self-absorbed hipsters and paid "anarchists" who were in the earlier ones), but it originated at Columbus Circle and headed down Central Park South. I missed it. I want a re-do!

30705328760_cb94cdeac7_c.jpg

Howard Stern said today they have blocked off a 2-block radius around the building and restaurants and retail businesses in the area are getting killed because nobody is allowed to get past the borders. This is a terrible idea.

I read recently that NYC is encouraging Trump not to retain his residence at Trump Tower(or at least not use it) because of the logistical nightmare it would create, i.e. closing off a secure perimeter, limiting access on routes he takes, etc.

I liked Trevor Noah's thoughts on equating protesting to sex.  "You can be loud and wild and do it all night long, but when something starts to burn, you should probably stop.”

Steve Bannon Is Not a Nazi—But Let’s Be Honest about What He Represents

Principled conservatives, especially those in leadership positions, have a political and moral duty to condemn, and to work to eradicate, the animus that is the alt-right’s raison d’être, and to uphold the pillars of the American project. That project is more than metaphysical abstractions; but it is also not a simple matter of blut und boden. No, Steve Bannon is not Josef Goebbels. But he has provided a forum for people who spend their days photoshopping pictures of conservatives into ovens.

To conservative and liberal alike, that he has the ear of the next president of the United States (a man of no particular convictions, and loyal to no particular principles) should be a source of grave concern — and an occasion for common cause in the crucial task of the years to come: vigilance.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/442189/steve-bannon-trump-administration-alt-right-breitbart-chief-strategist

I don't understand the media's constant push to demonize whatever they think the "alt right is" that day (it seems to have an inconstant and completely ambiguous definition). The only thing the alt right does, in effect, is constantly throw wrenches into the push for political correctness, which is an excellent thing. "White supremacists" in this day and age are just like the 90s boogeymen - "satanists." There weren't a bunch of satanists cults roaming around in the 90s, and there aren't any white supremacists groups roaming around today.

I don't understand the media's constant push to demonize whatever they think the "alt right is" that day (it seems to have an inconstant and completely ambiguous definition). The only thing the alt right does, in effect, is constantly throw wrenches into the push for political correctness, which is an excellent thing. "White supremacists" in this day and age are just like the 90s boogeymen - "satanists." There weren't a bunch of satanists cults roaming around in the 90s, and there aren't any white supremacists groups roaming around today.

Ram, do you read Breitbart?  Let alone VDARE, Occidental Dissent, American Renaissance, the National Policy Institute?  These are the heirs of the John Birch Society movement that National Review effectively expelled from the conservative movement in the 1950s, mixed with even less savory elements hybridized into the DNA of the hard right from Europe's post-WWII hard right.  Steve Bannon himself is more of an enigma, but as I like to keep reminding people on both sides of the aisle, politics is not law.  Politics is larger than law.  And in politics, guilt by association is a perfectly valid mode of thinking.  Steve Bannon gave a platform to certain people.  And it was not a place like old Reddit where the very nature of the platform is to give a platform to everyone (even Reddit has gone for a bit of censorship now, but they held out longer than most of the old free-Internet stalwarts); Bannon's outlet specifically courted the alt-right through editorial slant and contributor staffing.  Its readership has skyrocketed.  Some of those are just people like me checking in on the people they disagree with, just like I check the Atlantic and the Nation.  But a lot of those people are there not to critique the site's views, but just to absorb them.

I read recently that NYC is encouraging Trump not to retain his residence at Trump Tower(or at least not use it) because of the logistical nightmare it would create, i.e. closing off a secure perimeter, limiting access on routes he takes, etc.

There's room for a helipad on the roof and supposedly the building can structurally handle one.  They've been banned in NYC since 9/11 but I would expect an exception will be made.

There's room for a helipad on the roof and supposedly the building can structurally handle one.  They've been banned in NYC since 9/11 but I would expect an exception will be made.

I think I remember reading that they ran a commercial service off the roof of the PanAm Building for maybe 5 years at some point.  Still, Marine 1 is no doubt a heavier helicopter than Trump 1, and don't they usually fly a group of them so that evil-doers don't know which one to shoot?

Josef Goebbles, ladies and gentlemen....

Trump draws sharp rebuke, concerns over newly appointed chief White House strategist Stephen Bannon

http://wapo.st/2fOfOCd

It figures that the American version of Goebbles would be an overweight slob :roll:

081916stephenbannon-2.jpg

I think I remember reading that they ran a commercial service off the roof of the PanAm Building for maybe 5 years at some point.  Still, Marine 1 is no doubt a heavier helicopter than Trump 1, and don't they usually fly a group of them so that evil-doers don't know which one to shoot?

I used to work 2 blocks from the White House. They sent out fake motorcades way more often than real ones. The "There goes the President, wink wink" joke was so old that nobody made it. DC is used to that kind of stuff but New Yorkers will just get extra cranky.

Glenn Beck: The alt-right is truly terrifying

161113155404-bannon-11-11-medium-plus-169.jpg

Nationally syndicated radio host Glenn Beck said Tuesday that the alt-right movement is "truly terrifying," adding that while leading Breitbart News, Stephen Bannon gave a voice to white nationalists.

"He has given a voice and power to that group of people," Beck told Anderson Cooper on "AC360." "You don't empower people like that. You just don't. It's not smart."

The alt-right movement has been accused of white nationalism, racism, misogyny and anti-Semitism. In July, Bannon told Mother Jones that his site had become "the platform for the alt-right."

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/glenn-beck-bannon-appointment-white-nationalists-anderson-cooper/index.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Glenn Beck: The alt-right is truly terrifying

161113155404-bannon-11-11-medium-plus-169.jpg

Nationally syndicated radio host Glenn Beck said Tuesday that the alt-right movement is "truly terrifying," adding that while leading Breitbart News, Stephen Bannon gave a voice to white nationalists.

"He has given a voice and power to that group of people," Beck told Anderson Cooper on "AC360." "You don't empower people like that. You just don't. It's not smart."

The alt-right movement has been accused of white nationalism, racism, misogyny and anti-Semitism. In July, Bannon told Mother Jones that his site had become "the platform for the alt-right."

More below:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/glenn-beck-bannon-appointment-white-nationalists-anderson-cooper/index.html

It's not really the entire "alt-right" but a branch that is trying to claim credit for being the whole thing.  Even previous stalwarts such as Milo Yannipoulous (sic?) are distancing themselves.

The best hope is that Bannon is being set up as a fall guy, Ernst Rohm instead of Goebbels.  It's hard to imagine Trump having much use for anti-Semitism considering his family situation. 

If you're curious about what the alt-right claims to be (and actually is), read the article below (and the "guide" linked in the article).

Alt-right star Milo Yiannopoulos and what the movement is really all about

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/altright-star-milo-yiannopoulos-and-what-the-movement-is-really-all-about/news-story/4992fe2499be0c845f38f42af50709c8

Senior Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos, who describes himself as “the most fabulous supervillain on the internet”, has made a name for himself as a leader of the alternative right-wing energised by the President-elect’s campaign and victory.

The UK-born shock columnist has recently seen his name added to a half-genuine list of contenders for Josh Earnest’s role — something Mr Yiannopoulos said he would love to turn Apprentice-style if given the chance...

He didn’t doubt Mr Trump would “sail” into the White House off the back of the Brexit vote which proved “it doesn’t matter how loudly you call people bigots, racist and sexist, tell them that they’re being xenophobic — you name-calling them doesn’t work anymore,” he told the Times...

In March, Mr Yiannopoulous and Allum Bokhari described the group in their “Conservative guide to the alt-right” as an “amorphous movement” of subcultures from “intellectuals” to “natural conservatives” and a “meme team”.

They’re “dangerously bright”, mostly college-educated men who live in a “manosphere” and revel in busting taboos on race, feminism, misogyny and any other kind of political correctness.

It's not really the entire "alt-right" but a branch that is trying to claim credit for being the whole thing.  Even previous stalwarts such as Milo Yannipoulous (sic?) are distancing themselves.

The best hope is that Bannon is being set up as a fall guy, Ernst Rohm instead of Goebbels.  It's hard to imagine Trump having much use for anti-Semitism considering his family situation. 

The problem is the term "alt right" has been completely co-opted by left leaning media sources. They use it as an umbrella term to cover the everyone from actual neo-Nazis to trolls on 4chan to young Trump supporters who aren't racist at all.  They can then use the term at will to silence legitimate criticism as racist without having to actually address it. That's why there's so much fuss about Bannon - the left can, and will, use him as a tool to criticize Trump without having to actually talk about any of Trump's specifics. He could very well be a fall guy - the left has demonized the term so much at this point that the best way to defeat it might be to play ball and redefine it, very specifically, while absorbing it's original intent of being adverse to political correctness as a mainstream right wing platform.

If you're curious about what the alt-right claims to be (and actually is), read the article below (and the "guide" linked in the article).

Alt-right star Milo Yiannopoulos and what the movement is really all about

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/altright-star-milo-yiannopoulos-and-what-the-movement-is-really-all-about/news-story/4992fe2499be0c845f38f42af50709c8

Senior Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos, who describes himself as “the most fabulous supervillain on the internet”, has made a name for himself as a leader of the alternative right-wing energised by the President-elect’s campaign and victory.

The UK-born shock columnist has recently seen his name added to a half-genuine list of contenders for Josh Earnest’s role — something Mr Yiannopoulos said he would love to turn Apprentice-style if given the chance...

He didn’t doubt Mr Trump would “sail” into the White House off the back of the Brexit vote which proved “it doesn’t matter how loudly you call people bigots, racist and sexist, tell them that they’re being xenophobic — you name-calling them doesn’t work anymore,” he told the Times...

In March, Mr Yiannopoulous and Allum Bokhari described the group in their “Conservative guide to the alt-right” as an “amorphous movement” of subcultures from “intellectuals” to “natural conservatives” and a “meme team”.

They’re “dangerously bright”, mostly college-educated men who live in a “manosphere” and revel in busting taboos on race, feminism, misogyny and any other kind of political correctness.

This is old, and Milo has distanced himself somewhat from the title.  He's more of a disturber than anything else and doesn't really embrace the more hateful stuff except perhaps for Muslims.  Ironically, like Ann Coulter his documented taste in guys is middle eastern.

The problem is the term "alt right" has been completely co-opted by left leaning media sources. They use it as an umbrella term to cover the everyone from actual neo-Nazis to trolls on 4chan to young Trump supporters who aren't racist at all.  They can then use the term at will to silence legitimate criticism as racist without having to actually address it. That's why there's so much fuss about Bannon - the left can, and will, use him as a tool to criticize Trump without having to actually talk about any of Trump's specifics. He could very well be a fall guy - the left has demonized the term so much at this point that the best way to defeat it might be to play ball and redefine it, very specifically, while absorbing it's original intent of being adverse to political correctness as a mainstream right wing platform.

No.  "alt-right" has been co-opted by racists in an attempt to normalize their extremist viewpoints.

It's a lot like what they did with "Tea Party" except this time they have more actual bogey men playing along.

Twitter, as a private enterprise, is free to enforce certain rules of civility within the "twitterverse."  If you break those rules, your account can be banned.  Same goes for FB and other social media platforms.  I suspect it won't be long until we have a much more mainstream platform with the express purpose of not enforcing any such rules.  You will be allowed to post, tweet, etc. whatever you want in any manner you want without worry that your account may be banned.

^ I'm actually surprised they haven't. I'd make a small bet that it will happen at some point before or during his 2020 reeleciton.

^^ Except they aren't really rules of civility, because they're completely along political lines. "#RapeMelania" was allowed to trend, for example, without any bans or censorship, and we can all still logon daily to get updates about who has been crucified or burned alive by ISIS. Their rules are enforced at the discretion of the censors, who are likely all very left wing people.

They have every right to ban anyone they want to (at least, to the same extent a bakery has the right to deny service anyone they want to), but let's not pretend they are doing so without a blatantly obvious political lean. They are also flirting dangerously with having a policy that de facto disproportionately affects members of one race, and perhaps one gender as well.

^'The white man is under attack' thought process.  Forget about animus towards another race, THAT is what defines the alt-right.  Some serious victimization syndrome going on there.

You can find plenty of examples of hatred of every form going unchecked on any of those platforms.  They only have so many resources to keep it in check.  I can certainly attest that there is still PLENTY of hate from right wingers being spewed on Twitter and Facebook even if you can find a few examples of someone being banned.  The difference is that when someone from the alt-right gets banned, it turns into a media frenzy.  When someone not a part of that group gets banned, it's a non-story.

Ram: We can log on daily to get news about ISIS atrocities, but Twitter has actually somewhat aggressively sought out and deactivated accounts of actual ISIS propagandists and jihadist proselytizers.

^A stingy one at that.  Only $3,000 over the past 6 or more years?

His real contributions aren't money, but the censorship of unpopular speech on his website, and the promotion of Democratic ideals to millions of users. That's a rather priceless contribution to the Dems, IMO.

If someone is being banned, I would bet they have gone far beyond "unpopular speech."  But no need to get all hot under the collar about yet another conspiracy against you and the other victims of this rampant persecution.  I'm sure a social media platform is being designed right now where you will be free to engage in whatever type of "unpopular speech" you need in your life.  If it isn't, you should look into it.  I would just encourage your movement to have the balls to make it a snapchat type model where the rest of us can actually see your face.  Time to stop being afraid. 

Rough start.  Looks like Bannon may be facing some trouble with the FEC for breaking a few election laws.  And Foreign Policy advisor Gen. Michael Flynn is quickly becoming embroiled in a serious ethical scandal. 

I love how every crackpot keeps floating to the surface for the admin. Blackwell, Gaffney, Rohrabacker, etc. They are out of politics for a reason. 

I think to some degree Trump will suffer from not knowing enough people and not knowing their full background, but I think he's also messing with a bunch of these guys.  Giving a bunch of them the idea that they're "in", when they're not.  Meanwhile, he needs to have his kids involved because he needs to have people in there who he can trust. 

I also kind of wonder what this is doing for his brand awareness overseas -- we all know who the guy is but I wonder if people in some countries are being dazzled and that will help his existing properties, at least the overseas ones.