gottaplan

The Trump Presidency

let the memes begin!

6143F148-32E5-4E5E-B9CE-13C7A434A464_zpszvdkb77s.jpg

but seriously one party now has the top spot, senate & house, so no excuses for getting things done.

I laugh every time I read that!  The funny thing is that I could actually see Biden doing that :-D

^I think it's interesting that this compact wouldn't take effect until they reach 270 electoral votes.

1) A compact of 165 electoral votes would likely be enough to swing the election toward one candidate anyway in many instances. This election would have seen Michigan and Pennsylvania change their electoral votes from Trump to Clinton. This would have resulted in Trump reaching exactly 270 Electoral votes. Almost enough to swing this exact election.

2) What happens if they reach the 270, but then the 2020 census redistributes the votes in a way that they go below the 270 again? Does the compact need another state?

You have to figure the only states that would do this would be Dem states. Imagine the outcry of what may happen if say you have an Election and Trump won the popular vote over all but would lose the EC to Hillary. Now imagine that MD, CA, NY, IL and a number of other Dem states have this law into effect. It would essentially throw the Election to Trump even though 75% of the people in that state would not agree with the result. I do not think this is the result the Dems would hope for.

I hate the man and I hate what has happened but I do agree with what was said way upthread (no time to read all these pages). Barring some EXTREMELY unusual and unlikely circumstances, he is going to be our president.

One of the things I hated MOST OF ALL when Obama was elected 8 years ago was all the jerks who insisted he was #NotMyPresident and never would be, and said horrible, awful and terrible things about him. Now, personally I don't believe Obama deserved any of those things, but it's irrelevant whether one thinks they are deserved or not. He was legally elected and so was Trump. We don't have to LIKE IT and you don't have to be on board with him, but going around insisting he is "Not my president' is THE SAME THING THAT THEY DID TO OBAMA. It does not further anything. All the hatred and divisiveness that Obama's presidency has caused was PERPETUATED AND MADE WORSE BY THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR AND THIS ATTITUDE.

Again, I don't like it either. And I do like the idea of more volunteerism and/or donations to causes that are more for what you believe in. More activism and involvement, send your PP donations in Pence's name, whatever.

Foot stomping does not help. It's happened. I'll do all I can to help stop terrible things as he suggests them (I already called Portman's office today about his Chief White Supremacist tapped to lead his transition team), but living in denial and claiming he isn't your president or having the vapors about the electoral college, which, this time, was not in the Dems' favor, does nothing to help the huge divide in this country that caused this problem to begin with.

Do not be a hypocrite. Do not say they were terrible to say and do those things about Obama, and then do them yourself about Trump. It doesn't matter if you think Trump "deserves" it and Obama didn't. It just doesn't. Yes I'm horrified but being a hypocrite doesn't help. And picking on Melania is the worst of the worst. If you've ever taken umbrage at some of the horrible crap flung at Michelle, then you had better not say one single negative thing about Melania personally. I don't mean you can't take issue with whether or not she was working here illegally or not. I mean picking on her pictures or calling her a s l u t or whatever else. Just stop it.

Channel your anger into productivity and maybe we can explain to the outraged people that no, nobody is bringing jobs back, you cannot put the genie  back in the bottle, and we're upset about it too but we need to find another way to move on because that's not what work in america looks like anymore. Maybe we can have a dialog and they'll see we are not so different and we do want many of the same things (though not all), and find a way that works for everyone to get there. Maybe people have to be told it's time to stop buying bigger houses and bigger cars and moving further and further out and instead downscale your life and skip going to Disney so that you have money enough that you can buy locally grown meat and produce instead of buying your food at Wal-Mart. Or whatever. But the hypocrisy is not the way.

Whether I like it or not (and I do not, in any way), factually, he is going to be sworn in as the president and we all have to deal.

I hate the man and I hate what has happened but I do agree with what was said way upthread (no time to read all these pages). Barring some EXTREMELY unusual and unlikely circumstances, he is going to be our president.

One of the things I hated MOST OF ALL when Obama was elected 8 years ago was all the jerks who insisted he was #NotMyPresident and never would be, and said horrible, awful and terrible things about him. Now, personally I don't believe Obama deserved any of those things, but it's irrelevant whether one thinks they are deserved or not. He was legally elected and so was Trump. We don't have to LIKE IT and you don't have to be on board with him, but going around insisting he is "Not my president' is THE SAME THING THAT THEY DID TO OBAMA. It does not further anything. All the hatred and divisiveness that Obama's presidency has caused was PERPETUATED AND MADE WORSE BY THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR AND THIS ATTITUDE.

Again, I don't like it either. And I do like the idea of more volunteerism and/or donations to causes that are more for what you believe in. More activism and involvement, send your PP donations in Pence's name, whatever.

Foot stomping does not help. It's happened. I'll do all I can to help stop terrible things as he suggests them (I already called Portman's office today about his Chief White Supremacist tapped to lead his transition team), but living in denial and claiming he isn't your president or having the vapors about the electoral college, which, this time, was not in the Dems' favor, does nothing to help the huge divide in this country that caused this problem to begin with.

Do not be a hypocrite. Do not say they were terrible to say and do those things about Obama, and then do them yourself about Trump. It doesn't matter if you think Trump "deserves" it and Obama didn't. It just doesn't. Yes I'm horrified but being a hypocrite doesn't help. And picking on Melania is the worst of the worst. If you've ever taken umbrage at some of the horrible crap flung at Michelle, then you had better not say one single negative thing about Melania personally. I don't mean you can't take issue with whether or not she was working here illegally or not. I mean picking on her pictures or calling her a s l u t or whatever else. Just stop it.

Channel your anger into productivity and maybe we can explain to the outraged people that no, nobody is bringing jobs back, you cannot put the genie  back in the bottle, and we're upset about it too but we need to find another way to move on because that's not what work in america looks like anymore. Maybe we can have a dialog and they'll see we are not so different and we do want many of the same things (though not all), and find a way that works for everyone to get there. Maybe people have to be told it's time to stop buying bigger houses and bigger cars and moving further and further out and instead downscale your life and skip going to Disney so that you have money enough that you can buy locally grown meat and produce instead of buying your food at Wal-Mart. Or whatever. But the hypocrisy is not the way.

Whether I like it or not (and I do not, in any way), factually, he is going to be sworn in as the president and we all have to deal.

I agree, the current anti-Trump public protests and marches are as silly and clumsy as the circa-2009-10 Tea Party "events". 

Unfortunately the right really needs to call it off with the guys doing the open carry stuff.  It doesn't get much more immature than that (however, it is a very small number of people who do this, and the number doesn't seem to be growing).  The good thing about Trump is that he doesn't seem to be particularly pro-gun or pro-violence.  I think most people, including his rabid supporters, are going to know by this time next year that the guy was mostly all-talk. 

He just wanted to win this thing to say he won.  Look at his investing record -- he doesn't hold onto much of what he has built.  He builds something, then sells off most shares of ownership but gets to keep his name on top of the thing even though he only owns 20% of the floor space. 

People have a right to protest and I support that. Joining an organized group protest to me is admirable. Bitching on your FB and twitter about how he is not your president is foot stomping and not productive. I support ACTIVISM. Whether you are working for change or working to protest, whatever. Sitting on your butt and typing about how he is Not My President does NOTHING. It's more crap that's batted about on the internet that's caused horrible divides. It's not productive. It does nothing.

I also agree he didn't expect to win and only wanted to win because it was a contest and he is competitive. He's going to be very sorry he did this and now can't live his life the way he wants. He simply cannot, and it will be a rude awakening.

I predict he will be largely a figurehead with as little function as possible the way George W Bush was. Everyone knows Cheney and all his cronies in and out of the actual government made all the decisions, W just showed up for the photo ops and signed the papers. This is what I think Trump will be.

I agree with the spirit of this post.  I'm certainly not refusing to consider him my president and I'm not signing any petition to have the EC vote some other way than they are pledged.  But I do believe there are stark differences between the reasons why people are now rejecting Trump as their president and the reasons why people rejected Obama.  The most visceral reactions towards Obama were aimed at delegitimizing his election based on factors other than the actual outcome.  He won the EC by a wide margin and comfortably won the popular vote.  So other tactics were used.  ironically, that is how Trump got his start in politics and grew to such fame amongst the alt-right.  As of right now, I don't think anyone is making any serious push to declare Trump ineligible to be president.  The complaint is that he is unfit to be president, and that reasoning has some significant bi-partisan support.

The new president's senior advisor runs a website that attacks people for being Jews: https://t.co/qd0RWX2uwy

Breitbart was founded by a Jewish guy who is still the CEO. Such anti-Semites!!

The left's continued inclination to paint all conservatives as racist, sexist, etc. is what lost them the election. It's sad that so many have yet to come to that realization.

actually, a lot of them have, but don't want to admit it. I give liberal Frank Bruni of the NY Times credit to the degree that he's willing to concede--

The Democrats Screwed Up

Frank Bruni NOV. 11, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/opinion/the-democrats-screwed-up.html?_r=0

Donald Trump’s victory and some of the, yes, deplorable chants that accompanied it do not mean that a majority of Americans are irredeemable bigots (though too many indeed are). Plenty of Trump voters chose him, reluctantly, to be an agent of disruption, which they craved keenly enough to overlook the rest of him.

Democrats need to understand that, and they need to move past a complacency for which the Clintons bear considerable blame.

It’s hard to overestimate the couple’s stranglehold on the party — its think tanks, its operatives, its donors — for the last two decades. Most top Democrats had vested interests in the Clintons, and energy that went into supporting and defending them didn’t go into fresh ideas and fresh faces, who were shut out as the party cleared the decks anew for Hillary in 2016.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is also an excellent column about all the BS celebrity endorsements for Hillary. Although I had no idea until I read this that Roseanne Barr supported Trump. She of course played a character on a hit show many years ago who was part of the mythical the Trump white-working class demographic, but in many statements over the years I thought she hated Republicans (and even Bill Maher, said what?!)--

Why celebrity endorsements didn’t help Hillary at all

By Maureen Callahan November 12, 2016 | 3:42pm

http://pagesix.com/2016/11/12/why-celebrity-endorsements-didnt-help-hillary-at-all/

Even Bill Maher, hardly a friend to the GOP, conceded as much on his post-election show on Friday. Noting that no amount of money or celebrity endorsements matter, he said, “The Democratic party . . . lost the white working man. That’s what they used to have. And they made the white working man feel like, ‘Your problems aren’t real.’ Democrats, to a lot of Americans, have become a boutique party of fake outrage and social engineering. And they’re not entirely wrong about that.”

Hts, I agree he is unfit. I also agree some of the reasons are different, though there were many other reasons besides election results being bandied about why Obama was "unfit" (birth certificate, anyone?) But DT was elected. There's really nothing we can do about it.

I couldn't believe it and hated it when W was elected (though on a much lower scale, and though I didn't know at the time that was a lower scale), as he was also unfit for like 50 reasons IMO. But it happened and government happened and all the horrible things they like to do to the country also happened and then he wasn't president anymore. And we just have to keep going.

We rolled out of the Bush years running on fumes.  Our economy was in a free fall and we were embedded in two no-win conflicts on the other side of the globe.  Just saying.

Yes, the birth certificate issue was part of what I was referencing.  There was something else too.

Yes, and I think it's going to be even worse this time. A Greater Depression - worse than 1929. There's nothing we can do about it.

if you are that sure of impending economic doom, then you should start buying massive short stocks on the Dow and S&P.  When the downturn hits, you'll be incredibly wealthy and can tell us all how you called it.

^Good point.  The donations should be switched to being in Trump's name.  He has no more taxes left to deduct.

He's already given them a lot over the years, supposedly....

The new president's senior advisor runs a website that attacks people for being Jews: https://t.co/qd0RWX2uwy

Breitbart was founded by a Jewish guy who is still the CEO. Such anti-Semites!!

The left's continued inclination to paint all conservatives as racist, sexist, etc. is what lost them the election. It's sad that so many have yet to come to that realization.

Andrew Breitbart himself despised Trump and considered him a fraud.

I don't like the guy either, but anti-Semite is kind of a stretch when he has Jewish grandchildren.

Basically, this election was a race to the bottom and the Democrats won.

I'll go on record as saying it at the outset, just so future-me can't say I called it: I have absolutely no idea what to expect.  None.

Seriously, most people lack imagination; their range of "worst case" and "best case" scenarios rests on operating assumptions that this election may well upend.  Their imagination lives between 3 and 8 on a 1-10 scale.

I have no idea if Trump's hyper-reactive, easily goaded temperament will get us into a real war.  Not barely-there wars against hopelessly overmatched adversaries like Libya, but "I need to prove I'm not Putin's puppet so let's invade Russia in the middle of [nuclear] winter."

I have no idea if Trump will push his on-paper tax plan (which would be among the most budget-busting in history), or whether he'll go all the way back to some of the things he used to say on the campaign trail (and I mean in this campaign, not long-ago comments on politics from 2000 or something) that progressive taxation is the only fair way to fund government and it's not really a problem at all, and might even raise taxes.

I have no idea if Trump will actually try to extricate the U.S. from existing trade deals, or even the larger trade superstructure of the WTO.  For all I know, he could pull us out of the WTO.  Or he could negotiate a complete pan-Asian free trade area.  I have no clue.

I would hazard a guess that he will at least at some point launch an attack on at least one mainstream media outlet.  I have no idea whether that will take the form of a politicized criminal prosecution or a midnight Tweetstorm.

It's estimated that there are 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. now.  His post-election speeches say he's targeting about 3 million for removal.  That's actually not that dramatic a step up from Obama's pace (it was seldom talked about, but Obama was a fairly aggressive deporter).  Of course, a lot of his supporters expect that number to go from 12 million to zero, not 12 million to 9 million.  And I have no way of saying that it won't be 18 million in four years.

I'll go on record as saying it at the outset, just so future-me can't say I called it: I have absolutely no idea what to expect.  None.

Seriously, most people lack imagination; their range of "worst case" and "best case" scenarios rests on operating assumptions that this election may well upend.  Their imagination lives between 3 and 8 on a 1-10 scale.

I have no idea if Trump's hyper-reactive, easily goaded temperament will get us into a real war.  Not barely-there wars against hopelessly overmatched adversaries like Libya, but "I need to prove I'm not Putin's puppet so let's invade Russia in the middle of [nuclear] winter."

I have no idea if Trump will push his on-paper tax plan (which would be among the most budget-busting in history), or whether he'll go all the way back to some of the things he used to say on the campaign trail (and I mean in this campaign, not long-ago comments on politics from 2000 or something) that progressive taxation is the only fair way to fund government and it's not really a problem at all, and might even raise taxes.

I have no idea if Trump will actually try to extricate the U.S. from existing trade deals, or even the larger trade superstructure of the WTO.  For all I know, he could pull us out of the WTO.  Or he could negotiate a complete pan-Asian free trade area.  I have no clue.

I would hazard a guess that he will at least at some point launch an attack on at least one mainstream media outlet.  I have no idea whether that will take the form of a politicized criminal prosecution or a midnight Tweetstorm.

It's estimated that there are 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. now.  His post-election speeches say he's targeting about 3 million for removal.  That's actually not that dramatic a step up from Obama's pace (it was seldom talked about, but Obama was a fairly aggressive deporter).  Of course, a lot of his supporters expect that number to go from 12 million to zero, not 12 million to 9 million.  And I have no way of saying that it won't be 18 million in four years.

I predict that Trump will mostly be a figurehead who will win reelection in 2020 by an unprecedented series of stunts and spectacles, not actual policy decisions.  So he might help push through construction earmarks that get a lot of big stuff under construction so that he can point at a bunch of construction cranes in 2020, especially in the swing states.  That could be good for Ohio. 

I agree that he will be more figurehead than anything else.  The WH will be run through a tug of war between Bannon and Priebus.  Trump will spend less time at the WH than any POTUS and will keep his circle very small.

Trump will spend less time at the WH than any POTUS and will keep his circle very small.

He will show up for ribbon-cuttings, military events, and throw some big parties at the White House.

I agree that he will be more figurehead than anything else.  The WH will be run through a tug of war between Bannon and Priebus.  Trump will spend less time at the WH than any POTUS and will keep his circle very small.

Total baseless speculation.  But I'd take it a step farther and say neither is even part of the Trump cabinet or advisors in 2018.  How many Chiefs of Staff did Obama go through?  5?  Trump may run through even more.  Ditto for policy advisers

Trump hasn't won anything yet. He didn't win the popular vote and the electoral college hasn't voted for him yet. And even if those things happen AND he is sworn in, this guy says he won't be around for long....

‘Prediction professor’ who called Trump’s big win also made another forecast: Trump will be impeached

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAkbsjd?ocid=sf

It's over. Trump will be sworn in on January 20, 2017.

Now that said, seems quite possible that he could, at some point, be impeached, particularly by a GOP-led Congress that isn't full of people who support him. I actually hope that he makes it the full four years and is then shown the door by voters in 2020. As crazy as Trump sounds when he talks, it's mostly bluster and/or statements of policy that cannot possibly be implemented. A scarier thought is the idea that he would be replaced by Pence who would have the backing of Congress to put into place some seriously Draconian laws, taking this country back decades. At least with Trump, he does have some moderate/populist ideas that when stripped from rhetoric are not ultraconservative at their core.

If he's smart about it, he could continue the sort of events Obama was holding at the White House like the BET event Dave Chappelle spoke about in his SNL monologue.  So if he throws events every month for everyone from Native Americans to recent immigrants he could go a long way toward expanding his constituency AND the constituency of the Republican Party.  No previous Republican president could pull this off, but Trump is obviously used to this kind of stuff, in part because he's a fake Republican. 

Yes, and I think it's going to be even worse this time. A Greater Depression - worse than 1929. There's nothing we can do about it.

if you are that sure of impending economic doom, then you should start buying massive short stocks on the Dow and S&P.  When the downturn hits, you'll be incredibly wealthy and can tell us all how you called it.

Yeah, I have $16 in my checking account, I'm gonna run out and start buying stocks.

It's much more likely that we will see the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact implemented. Instead of amending the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College, states would just agree to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Ten states and DC have signed on, representing 165 electoral votes. It would not take effect until the participating states represent 270 votes.

It would be a shame if that compact is put into place without getting more red states involved. The GOP has only won the popular vote once since 1988, and if didn't happen this year, I'm not sure when it will ever happen with the way demographics are changing. This does nothing to solve the problem, which as I see it, being that residents in urban large areas are having their vote trumped (get it?) by folks living in rural areas. If anything, it just sets up a situation where traditionally blue states might (though unlikely given demographics) end up willingly giving their electoral votes away to GOP candidates without the reverse having a possibility of occurring.

Pence tried to keep his emails private? That's funny...

Pence pushes for email privacy

By MATTHEW NUSSBAUM 11/14/16 05:06 PM EST Updated 11/14/16 05:06 PM EST

Vice President-elect Mike Pence is seeking to keep secret the contents of an email relating to Indiana’s participation, at his behest, in a lawsuit to block President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration, an Indianapolis Star article revealed Monday.

MORE:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/pence-email-privacy-indiana-231332?cmpid=sf

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Potential Press Secretary Laura Ingraham Is Disgusted By Press Who Report Anything She Deems Negative About Trump

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/11/13/potential-press-secretary-laura-ingraham-disgusted-press-who-report-anything-she-deems-negative/214418

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Potential Press Secretary Laura Ingraham Is Disgusted By Press Who Report Anything She Deems Negative About Trump

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/11/13/potential-press-secretary-laura-ingraham-disgusted-press-who-report-anything-she-deems-negative/214418

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

https://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html

posting links from mediamatters is roughly equivalent to infowars

Then don't read it.

Steve Bannon.  Harvard grad... check.  Wall street / Goldman Sachs investment banker... check.  Hollywood mogul.... check.  Influential member of the media... check.

posting links from mediamatters is roughly equivalent to infowars

Not even close.  Maybe Fox Nation.  Infowars is a conspiracy spreading and fear mongering website which tells its readers that 9/11 and Sandy Hook were inside jobs.  It's also the source of many of Ram's more wild conspiracies about Clinton we saw regurgitated here.  Media Matters has a strong slant to it, but no different than countless other more normal right-wing outlets.

"Bill Kristol: Republican spoiler, renegade Jew,"

"Birth control makes women unattractive and crazy,"

"Political correctness protects Muslim rape culture"

"Trannies whine about hilarious Bruce Jenner billboard,

Lol, that's our country's upcoming chief strategist, folks. What a time to live

It's much more likely that we will see the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact implemented. Instead of amending the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College, states would just agree to give their votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Ten states and DC have signed on, representing 165 electoral votes. It would not take effect until the participating states represent 270 votes.

It would be a shame if that compact is put into place without getting more red states involved. The GOP has only won the popular vote once since 1988, and if didn't happen this year, I'm not sure when it will ever happen with the way demographics are changing. This does nothing to solve the problem, which as I see it, being that residents in urban large areas are having their vote trumped (get it?) by folks living in rural areas. If anything, it just sets up a situation where traditionally blue states might (though unlikely given demographics) end up willingly giving their electoral votes away to GOP candidates without the reverse having a possibility of occurring.

1 vote in Wyoming is equivalent to 3.85 votes in California.